PDA

View Full Version : An Affair of the Pages.

Versus
08-29-2005, 08:00 PM
*sighs* I am truly depressed.

I finally finished "The Snow Fox" - and now I feel as though something great was taken from me. I am so angry! That story brought me to tears. It was a terrible tragedy.

I had prolonged finishing it because the thought of ending it made me sad - because i loved it.

I truly hate finishing a book I love - its almost like a passionate affair abruptly ending. And once again, I am left to search for a new book - which is a long and tedious process.

I swear I fell in love with these characters - especially the leading male who embodies all the principles I desire. And in the end... GRRRR!

Ugh. I hate books. The have such a power over me. Its true - I become engrossed.

MangledKitty
08-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Ah yes. I know that feeling. Happened to me many of times. That's when you go all Misery on the author and kidnap him/her and try to get them to write more and stuff. (Such a weird movie) But anywho...Yea, At least you enjoyed it.:)

Bobmuhthol
08-29-2005, 08:05 PM
I hate books because they blow.

I'm just now starting to actually read, as opposed to pretending to know the plot of a book. It's time consuming.

Versus
08-29-2005, 08:39 PM
I just don't understand what's going on with the world. Really, this era feels so... empty. I feel completely disenchanted with life. Elegance and romance feels lost. It belongs to ancient ideals. People are becoming increasingly jaded these days; including me.

There is no true loyality, honor, chilvary, and adventure anymore. I think its why fantasy games are so engaging. I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I am just frustrated.

MangledKitty
08-29-2005, 08:44 PM
That could be it. Also, doesn't seem like a lot of people have their own imagination anymore and leave it up to others. By reading books and stuff you can create your own mental picture in your head. Your view on the situation. A lot of people don't even bother reading and stuff.

Latrinsorm
08-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Versus
I just don't understand what's going on with the world. Really, this era feels so... empty. I feel completely disenchanted with life. Elegance and romance feels lost. It belongs to ancient ideals. People are becoming increasingly jaded these days; including me.

There is no true loyality, honor, chilvary, and adventure anymore. I think its why fantasy games are so engaging. I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I am just frustrated. You don't look anywhere near old enough to be in the Lost Generation.

edit: Sry about your book though. :(

[Edited on 8-30-2005 by Latrinsorm]

Anebriated
08-29-2005, 11:12 PM
And you are how old again? I sort of find my generation to be bland at best, we have no real defining moment as of yet except for the fact that we are going to be the ones who get screwed by social security.

latrin: whats the lost generation?

Apotheosis
08-30-2005, 03:45 AM

It's not lost, it's just that some people aren't as open to it as they would like to think. Myself included.

There is no true loyality, honor, chilvary, and adventure anymore. I think its why fantasy games are so engaging. I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I am just frustrated.

Since when did loyalty, honor, and all that exist? All we have is fiction, and an idealized perception of history. The real world is cruel, harsh, and unforgiving.

In the end it is what you make of it that counts. The world can be any way you want it to be, as long as you put the effort and time into it, instead of copping out and falling into too much self-pity. Been there, done that, life is awesome, and great people exist. You just have to be open to looking at life from a different perspective.

Taking a "victim" mentality enables you to being a victim.

[Edited on 8-30-2005 by Yswithe]

Volstock
08-30-2005, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
I hate books because they blow.

I'm just now starting to actually read, as opposed to pretending to know the plot of a book. It's time consuming.

I'm the exact opposite of you Bob..I like books BECAUSE they blow...and boy can they blow...if your looking for a good series read that Sapphire series and the the Morrin Codex I think.If dragons and magicks are your things in books

Latrinsorm
08-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Elrodin
latrin: whats the lost generation? The people who survived World War I. They expressed a lot of the same feelings Ieva/versus is, namely "Elegance and romance feels lost" and "There is no true loyality, honor, chilvary, and adventure anymore" ESPECIALLY chivalry and honor.

Kriterian
09-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Versus
*sighs* I am truly depressed.

I finally finished "The Snow Fox" - and now I feel as though something great was taken from me. I am so angry! That story brought me to tears. It was a terrible tragedy.

I had prolonged finishing it because the thought of ending it made me sad - because i loved it.

I truly hate finishing a book I love - its almost like a passionate affair abruptly ending. And once again, I am left to search for a new book - which is a long and tedious process.

I swear I fell in love with these characters - especially the leading male who embodies all the principles I desire. And in the end... GRRRR!

Ugh. I hate books. The have such a power over me. Its true - I become engrossed.

Sounds like my experience with a recent book. I read alot, and now that my commute to work is an hour each way, I listen to audio books alot.

If you find yourself wanting to go through the same process and feeling that you had with "Snow Fox" (ie A great story that will leave you sad, yet wanting more) then check out:

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/015602943X/qid=1126215290/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-1536082-4962416?v=glance&s=books)

It's a good romantic book with great characters and enough sci-fi to keep normal (unlike me) guys interested too.

I rarely get the urge to place a book at the top of a favorites list but I do believe I would put this one up there. If you're into audio books (unabbridged only!) the two narrators (male and female leads) did a great job.

09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
What elegance, romance, and honor? Get rich. Seriously.

Anyway.. It never existed in the first place. Rose tinted glasses and all. But yeah, let's go back "to the good old days" when I could kick the shit out of my wife and no one would care or better yet, stab someone at the local tavern, take their shillings, and run to the next hovel and pretty much get away.

- Arkans

ElanthianSiren
09-08-2005, 05:47 PM
You do know that writers follow a form based on the genre you're reading (yes... I was disenchanted to find this out too) for character creation.

EG: In a romance novel, a male hero NEVER exhibits any quality that goes against most mainstream feminine perceptions of what makes males attractive.

That's the easiest example that comes to mind; I can't read a romance novel without wanting to throw it out a window btw. Every genre has a guideline like this, so to judge RL upon books is a fallacy of logic.

Stories can have examples of extreme honor, love that stands the test of decades apart, war, famile etc because the author can give their very genteel character an out at any time. There is always an out; that is not the case with life.

If you really feel disenchanted with things, I suggest an outing to one of those poetry cafes (I've never been, but they come highly recommended by friends). Even if you have nothing to share, I think you can still sit and listen.

-M