PDA

View Full Version : Ebon Gate (grrr)

ElvenRangeress
10-02-2003, 08:22 PM
I was sitting here wondering .... why on earth isn't everyone signing up for EG? Theres only one group sold out .. then it hit me .. it starts on on 10/31 a few hours before Halloween is over, and ends in Nov. *grumbles* Anyone else kind of upset about this? :flamed:

StrayRogue
10-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Erm, its been like this forever. The reason people haven't signed up for it is because the details on the merchants and such have yet to be released. I haven't got my ticket yet. If they short-change us with some shitty event I won't be losing anything.

Plus, the chances of it being opened during the month of GS4 reallocation, AKA extra exp modifier month, people would rather get easy exp over easy alters.

Betheny
10-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Not all of us have money or time off work to spend a weekend in a pay event.

Straight-up
10-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Why would this bother anyone? ::confused::

Straight

ElvenRangeress
10-02-2003, 08:27 PM
The past two EG's were on 10/25 and 10/26 ... never on Halloween, which kind of ticks me off ...

Halfsilver
10-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Horrible news.

I'm going to miss my favorite event of the year. It seems I'll be working a 12 hour night shift on Halloween. :(:(:(

My halloween is ruined.

Life Sucks.

-grays/d (very disappointed)

ElvenRangeress
10-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Straight-up
Why would this bother anyone? ::confused::

Straight

Because people normally have plans for Halloween ... it would mean that Simu. loses alot of money by doing this ..

ElvenRangeress
10-02-2003, 08:29 PM
(Someone able to move this topic to the right folder? Though I clicked the GS complaints *blush*)

CrystalTears
10-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Yes ma'am. :P

HarmNone
10-02-2003, 08:36 PM
I would say Ebon Gate is scheduled this way because Halloween happens to fall on a Friday this year, and most of the large events, Ebon Gate included, are normally set up to run over a weekend.

HarmNone applies logic

Adhara
10-02-2003, 08:37 PM
I think Simu has lost a lot of business by how they handled the last two pay events.

There will be more tickets sold when merchant info is released as Stay said.

As for it opening on Halloween... That is only one evening (a few hours?) of an event that lasts an entire week. For live merchants, there's still two full days in the weekend. I would think that while there might be less people on that night, it won't prevent those that really want to go from buying a ticket.

If we like what we see in the shop descriptions, my boyfriend and I plan on going. Yeah so we'll have to take turns at the door handing candy to kids. Big deal. He can yell down to me if merchants show up. Halloween won't stop me!

[Edited on 10-3-2003 by Adhara]

ElvenRangeress
10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Well its not really that, its the fact I have to take my cousin trick or treating *whines*

StrayRogue
10-02-2003, 08:49 PM
The last two pay events sold out, to my knowledge.

Back
10-02-2003, 09:15 PM
I hate the idea of pay events. But, I just might be a sucker for this one.

AnticorRifling
10-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ElvenRangeress
Well its not really that, its the fact I have to take my cousin trick or treating *whines*

You're complaining that taking your cousin trick or treating is getting in the way of a pay to play event in a game that's make believe?

Simu can't please everyone and I'm inclined to agree with HarmNone it's spanning the weekend so that more people are off of work and free from more real life obligations so that they can attend.

ElvenRangeress
10-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Taking my cousin out isn't *fun*, its an obligation because he's such a brat! He's 13, but still falls to the ground screaming to get his way.

StrayRogue
10-02-2003, 09:25 PM
Taking my cousin out isn't *fun*, its an obligation because he's such a brat! He's 13, but still falls to the ground screaming to get his way.

...oh the irony...:lol:

ElvenRangeress
10-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Hmmm. Well anyways, I'm surprised no one is kind of angry at the fact Halloween is when ebon gate begins ...

AnticorRifling
10-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Because life is only about having fun! Come on, if the kid wants to get some trick or treat in take him. He's only a kid once. If he's throwing temper tantrums all the time than he needs an ass whoopin plain and simple. People are so afraid to discipline their children now adays.

Kinder, softer my ass. He acts out of line he get's the whoopin stick. Doesn't take long to learn right from wrong, proper behaivor, manners, common courtasy, and basic common sense when there is alittle (note alittle) pain involved. Pain retains. Tell a child the stove is hot he doesn't listen. Let that kid get a second degree burn on the finger and he's done messin with the stove.

Back on topic. You still have the weekend to play, which is the idea of starting on Friday, and don't complain some folks don't get to go because they have things called jobs that go 7 days a week. When that real world knocks on your door and you have to meet it for the first time it's gonna scare the shit out of you.

(I am gonna be the best old man I've already got the fist shake, the crankiness and stupid shit and the phrase "damn kids" down cold. Fear me in 40 yrs) :cool:

StrayRogue
10-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Fear rules. Absolutely.

Though I totally agree Anticor. Kids today do not fear retribution for their actions, so they do whatever they please.

ElvenRangeress
10-02-2003, 09:42 PM
"Say! Would you like a chocolate covered pretzel? They are a bit melty but damn are the exquisite."

- (shouldn't it be they?)

Soulpieced
10-02-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry Anticor, I'm only 21 and I can imagine being like Soulpieced when I get old.

Ilvane
10-02-2003, 10:21 PM
I still haven't decided if I want to go to Ebon's gate yet, but I am definately going to a party November 1st for Halloween..:) ;)

-A

StrayRogue
10-02-2003, 10:22 PM
*mystically gestures at Ilvane* You will go to Ebon's gate...

Edaarin
10-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Anticor's only 2(insert number here), and you know what he's gonna be like when he's old?

"HEY YOU DAMN KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN! WARN HARASSMENT DAMN KIDS."

HarmNone
10-02-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue

...oh the irony...:lol:

Stray...behave!

HarmNone shows Stray her Vorpal Whomping Stick of Ultimate Doom :D

Vesi
10-03-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Lady Daina
We noticed that the Fest starts on Halloween. And there were about 30 seconds of panic.

Then we realized the Fest won't start until what, 9:30 pm Eastern? Even allowing that that is 8:30 our time, we figure we will have PLENTY of time to take the wee one out, hand out some candy to the neighborhood brats, and settle in for the kick-off of the Festival.

Exactly.

To the person that has the 13 year old to deal with, one... that's kind of getting old for trick or treating and two... one fit and they go home. Geeze!:rolleyes:

Vesi

theotherjohn
10-03-2003, 06:52 AM
I dont think the starting time has anything to do with ticket sales. I think it is how the H4H was run. People asked my advice on going and I said dont go with this as the reason Why spend $35 plus silver on items that you know will be changed in the near future.

Stunseed
10-03-2003, 07:04 AM
Jolena and I are going to Ebon's this year, regardless that I will quite possibly work Haloween night. It will be a blast I'm sure.

On the other subject, I am in complete agreement with Anticor. I got my ass whipped with a hot wheels track at 9 for being late home one night. I've never been grounded or spanked since. All it takes it the right motivation < plus I had the old school hot wheel track with the metal molded into it, hurt like hell >, and some decent guidance.

AnticorRifling
10-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Bingo. I'm not talking about abuse I'm talking a damn wake up call. I see kids (16ish) in the mall that are just asking for me to remove their ability to eat solid food, and it's all because parents forgot what a whoopin was.

Stunseed
10-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Fucking punks. I'm too young not to want to beat their asses, instead of looking at them in parental mode. I feel like tossing them through the "I'm a jewelery store in the mall, so we'll mark-up our prices 400%" store window. Or maybe the one with billions of different candy. Then I'd pull a dine and dash on some sweets. What a way to go to the mall. Maybe I'll line my pockets so I don't have to pay 17 bucks for some Ju-Ju Beans at the movies. Either way, I wish their parents taught them something, instead of letting them roam free. After my father beat my ass ONCE, he never missed a single baseball game I played in, til I shattered my knee when named to the All-City team. Good times

StrayRogue
10-03-2003, 09:23 AM
Hire me, I have no problem with beating up Americans ;)

Stunseed
10-03-2003, 09:46 AM
See, that's the whole point. Their parents need to put the manners in them. I've been grown in a "spanking" environment, and I've helped raise kids in a "time-out" environment. By far, putting kids in time-out is the most.....< insert adjective here because I've been up FAR too long > frustrating thing I've ever done. Alot of parents need to COMMUNICATE with their kids, before beating them with granny's switch. I am a firm believer that communication and honesty with your feelings can and will solve 90% of your problems.

And between the time of my posts, they've made small soda's like $5.50 at the movie theatre. I swear I'm going to find a way to get back at them! Damnable movie food prices.

Love you Jolena!

Kia
10-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Ohhh, I sure do like the Ebon Gate festival. Just because its on Halloween doesn't mean I'll miss too much of it. We can't be at our computers all the time now can we? Wait... don't answer that.

KIA.

Hips
10-03-2003, 12:07 PM
The Ebon Gate festival is my favorite, out of the ones I've attended (last year's Ebon Gate, the Anfelt, and the Artisan Faire). Judging from how it was run last year, I honestly can't wait for it to start... the amount of thought that goes into an event like this is mind-boggling to me.

Plus, I hope I get to see Narreon again, because he made me my very first alter and is a hot, hot, flirtatious rogue. :saint:

StrayRogue
10-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko
Plus, I hope I get to see Narreon again, because he made me my very first alter and is a hot, hot, flirtatious rogue. :saint:

It appears I have competition.

Hips
10-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue

Originally posted by GS3 Michiko

It appears I have competition.

I wouldn't know if you're a hot, hot, flirtatious rogue or not, I've only heard. :rolleyes:

Caramia
10-05-2003, 04:45 AM
Thirteen is a bit old to go trick or treating, and to be having temper tantrums over collecting candy.

I stopped trick or treating when I was 10 or 11 and had to fight the 5 and 6 year olds to the door.

So he whines. He'll get over it. He can go with his friends.

If a friend had a Halloween party, I might go out. Otherwise, there's no shortage of times I can party that cutting my night short either in the game or out Halloweening is going to be a problem for the start of EG.

Besides, that first night, all the merchant whores are so busy kissing up, I'm happy to miss the swarming masses.

Caramia
10-05-2003, 04:50 AM
What stuff from Hunt for History is going to end up changed? Most of the items had pretty simple scripts with simple command traps on them and pretty loresongs.

I doubt they'll change the stories each item holds. And I'm sure if you can "tap" something now and it does stuff, tapping it in GS4 will work too.

So what do you think is going to change? Do you really think the GMs would make stuff and know it would changed? And wouldn't make it work the same or similar way in GS4?

StrayRogue
10-05-2003, 04:55 AM
Well, they fucked up Age, for a start...

StrayRogue
10-05-2003, 05:19 AM
I've just finished reading the Melissa thread on the H4H boards and well...I am a bit 50/50 now for Ebon's. I have yet to get my ticket, and while I love events, and the people who go (*lean dex*), I do feel it would be nice to give the finger to Simu, who've basically fucked a bunch of people, us, again.

Tsa`ah
10-05-2003, 06:16 AM
I kicked around the thought of going back on my ban of pay-events and attending Ebon's.

To me it's not worth the cash or missing out on the traditional family/friend bash.

I've missed pay and non-pay events due to work or family. It's not worth getting upset over; it's a game. Besides that, it's not Simu's responsibility to contact people to see what the best day for them is.

Oh we can't have it during ROSH!!! Choose what is more important and do it.

*Side-note*

Dad wasn't one to spank, although I had my ass blistered a few times. No, my dad was lazy. We screwed up, we did his work. I can't count how many times I got stuck with extra mowing (half mile lane with two acres on each side, 30 acres of back yard and 10 acres surrounding the front and sides of the house), scooping stalls, walking bean fields, feeding the animals, fence repair... you name it, we did it and it didn't matter if it took us till 2 in the morning on a school night. Bastard.

Biggest problem today in regards to kids, are the parents that would rather be the best bud than the role model.

Ilvane
10-05-2003, 08:58 AM
See hon, I told you why I was still debating on my tickets for the Ebon's gate.

I posted on the boards about it, and I don't really care if they give me a free ticket to Ebon's Gate, but at least admit that no one said it wasn't going to be offered for all the bugs in the H4H. If they had just come out and said "We have given you maximum points, and now you are not getting Ebon's gate tickets," It would have gone a long way.

Ebon's gate luckily doesn't have many quests, aside from the maze, so bugs and mistakes aren't as likely to happen. That is also because a lot of things aren't changing from last year.

-A

StrayRogue
10-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Reading through all that, while not suprising in a "idiotic simutronics" kinda way, is still shocking. Its not the whole free ticket thing as you said, but the fact it wasn't bug tested, not even finished. Absolutely stupid.

Ilvane
10-05-2003, 09:10 AM
It seemed to me that they were saying "We aren't going to test it that much, and we expect things to go wrong, because we don't even run it through testing until players go through it and find them". Maybe I'm wrong, but it did seem that way.

It's too bad, too.

I am usually one to back up staff to the end, but in this case, I think they made a mistake.

-A

StrayRogue
10-05-2003, 09:12 AM
They'll never admit they made a mistake though. But anyway, I wish I'd gone to H4H to be honest. Just couldn't find a team :(

Ilvane
10-05-2003, 09:15 AM
It wasn't even that it wasn't fun, except when you spent 3 hours trying to get through a puzzle only to find out it was buggy, and it wasn't anything you were doing wrong..and they would say "Oops!".

My team was great, though. I brought my halfling, who was completely unknown, and I still made some friends out of it.

-A

StrayRogue
10-05-2003, 09:17 AM
I thought you had to arrange teams on your own beforehand??

Ilvane
10-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Well, I had made plans with one friend. But if there were people who didn't have teams, they sometimes put people together.

-A

StrayRogue
10-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Theres hope for me next time then :D

Kia
10-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Caramia
Thirteen is a bit old to go trick or treating

Heh, the first thing I thought when I read that was, "I'd go trick or treating if I still could."

MMMM CANDY! :P

Oh wait... I can just go to the store and buy it. SILLY ME.

KIA.

Sean
10-05-2003, 12:52 PM
ive never gone to a pay to play event ... i still think they are wrong refuse to go

so i guess the fact that its on a bullshit holiday doesnt bother me at all

[Edited on 10-5-2003 by Tijay]

Stinkypants
10-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Tijay
so i guess the fact that its on a bullshit holiday doesnt bother me at all

http://www.deadbrain.co.uk/news/article_2002_08_20_0809.php