PDA

View Full Version : Catering to the roleplayers

Ilvane
06-01-2003, 10:37 PM
I've seen a lot of changes since I first started playing Gemstone. Back when I began in 1997, I was enchanted by the game--the magic, the roleplaying, and the friendships I formed throughout the years.

I've really been noticing a lot of changes lately in the priorities of the game. I don't know if it's just that my perspective has changed lately, and the magic has gone a bit..or if there is an actual change.

There are fewer interactions by NPC's on a small scale.

When my first character was just about to title, and had worked very hard to get to that point. She wandered off to her favorite place to rest, and there was Uxbri, carving from pieces of wood, all by himself in the room. My friend and I sat down, and he spoke with us. I mentioned how excited I was about getting my title, and so forth..he began carving and made her a beautiful locket with her name on it, with beautiful detail.

It wasn't the item that made it special, it was the interaction. To this day, my bard still treasures it.

These small things don't happen often, at least that I see. Maybe in other places they do, but not that I have heard often. I'm not putting down anyone, but little details help. Small things matter.

Now adays it seems that the priority is given for interaction like this at paid events, which are 50 dollars apiece, instead of inside the general game, which already costs enough to begin with.

I think the priority has shifted so far on the other things such as combat, and changes, that RP is suffering on a whole.

I'm not even saying large scale events..I'm even saying small things, something that makes the players remember the magic, from the new ones to old.

Maybe that's my ideal world, but I'm of the mind that catering to all aspects of your game players makes a difference.

If I were on staff, I would be sure to bring that to the players..take the time to finish the stories of the different histories and races of the game..the Arkati, and just making sure that the players see the magic..beyond the combat. The small details matter..and they do count to some people.

So am I just jaded? Or have you guys noticed this too?

--A

Warriorbird
06-01-2003, 10:55 PM
I think you just run into them less with more well known characters. I know I don't seem to get those sort of things with my main character much, if any, anymore...but I just had a really magical, if small, inteaction occur with my secondary character the other night.

They happen, just not as much to us well known types.

Revalos
06-02-2003, 12:11 AM
I think the past two years have been low for a big reason: HSN and GS4. I know most of the GMs who like doing little events like that have been placed in roles that have meant a lot of work and little fun for them.

I am thinking that Anfelt was originally slated as a mass event for everyone, but they realized that the GMs have been working like crazy for the past two years and needed a kickback.

Ilvane
06-02-2003, 01:51 AM
I'm not really saying they don't do anything right, because there were some really intense moments in the Griffin sword quest, recently. It's not so much that Ilvane doesn't see any NPC's, either.

I'm kind of thinking more along the lines of what Jharra was doing..The dreamwalker gave us things to do, which was great, it was a real quest.

That tends to be an exception though to most of what is going on. I don't see the same kind of enforcement of RP rules, either. I see a ton of out of character talk, and people.

I really wish the GM's that like to do events would be able to concentrate on just that! Again, ideal world.:grin:

And I would love to see more of a focus on the documents and stories..but I guess I need to be patient, huh? :grin:

I love this game, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't care if I didn't.

--A

SpunGirl
06-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Ilvane,

I sort of agree with what you're saying. I haven't been playing nearly as long as you have, but I hear stories like yours from a lot of long-termers and I wish I could see things like that more often, too.

I think part of the problem is with the GMs and the players, and the other part lies with what has already been mentioned (all the new stuff they're working on). The issue with the GMs is that they're being accused left and right of favoritism, and I'd say it's only true in 1/20 cases (that's a really rough guesstimate, because I don't think it happens nearly as often as people think, but it DOES happen).

The other issue is Players who sweep in whenever they sense a well-known NPC in the Lands and start roleplaying their guts out to the NPC, even if they were powerhunting a moment before. It's annoying, and the GMs don't like it any more than the players do.

The last problem is with GMs AND Players, and I think that occurs when players exploit their friendships with GMs (I mean, they DO have friends, they're people too:)) in order for "special" things to happen for their characters. This doesn't happen very often at all, because there are very few GMs and players who are unscrupulous enough to do this. The reason it's a problem is because it DOES get out, and it irritates other people to the point of being jaded.

And I agree, I'd also like to see the documentation finished. But we can keep having fun in our character's little worlds, and wait, right?:)

-K