PDA

View Full Version : Armor for New System - How Much?

trickse
08-19-2005, 05:42 AM
I'm reading all these old guides that say

Light - No train
Full - 4x
Double - 8x

and that Full or under will not give a spell penalty. But I am wearing Light Leather and have like 17 ranks of Armor, and still get a 4% spell penalty. I'm confused and disturbed, and I can't seem to find out what to do or where to go that will give accurate info. Any input would be appreciated.

Flit Flightington

Drew
08-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Are you wearing a helm or greaves?

Bobmuhthol
08-19-2005, 08:53 AM
What Drew said. Either you're wearing armor that's not full leather, or you have miscellaneous armor that's increasing your combined AsG.

AnticorRifling
08-19-2005, 10:27 AM
robes = 0 ranks
fulls = 4 ranks
doubles = 15 ranks
LBP = 27 ranks
Cuirb = 35 ranks

I think reinforced is 70 ranks but I haven't gone higher than cuirb yet, I might in the future...

Latrinsorm
08-19-2005, 11:41 AM
The armor a step above cuirboulli is studded. Reinforced is in between full and double.

Studded does require 70 ranks to train off the MjE penalty, though.

Asha
08-19-2005, 11:46 AM
What's the penalty for a sorcerer in LBP

AnticorRifling
08-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Ahh yes studded is 70 I'm retarded. Carry on.

Latrinsorm
08-19-2005, 11:49 AM
For sorcs in LBP:
Highest hindrance is sorc circle.
5% * 20 bonus = 100 bonus - 10 bonus = 90 bonus = 18 ranks.

Artha has a wicked good chart for this kind of thing. Try searching for it, he's posted it here a bunch of times (I think).

AnticorRifling
08-19-2005, 11:52 AM
I coulda swore LBP was 27 ranks....

Asha
08-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Whatever all that meant in your post Latrin, I assume it means LBP for a sorc is a shit idea.
I have no clue about the mechanics of this game I'm afraid.
Just prep 720 , cast Atreau.

:embarrassed:
Thanks though.

Latrinsorm
08-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Drayal
I have no clue about the mechanics of this game I'm afraid.Every Armor subGroup (AsG) has a particular hindrance for each type of magic, expressed in terms of percentage. LBP (AsG 9) has a 5% hindrance for the Sorcerer circle. This is the minimum spell hindrance, the one that will be achieved with the proper amount of training. The proper amount of training is 20 Armor Skill bonus per percentage. However, training off 4.5% is equivalent to training off 5%, so the full formula is ((20 bonus * percentage) - 10 bonus).

Example:
Sorc in LBP
Sorc: 5% MnE: 4% MnS: 3%
You only have to worry about the circle with the highest hindrance you're going to cast from (in this case, presumably sorc).
((20 bonus per percent * 5%) - 10 bonus) = skill required
(100 bonus - 10 bonus) = skill required
90 bonus = skill required
90 bonus is actually 20 ranks (10 * 5 + 20 * 4), I misspoke earlier.

Example 2:
WIZARD in LBP
Wiz: 6% MjE: 6% MnE: 4%
((20 bonus per percent * 6%) - 10 bonus) = skill required
(120 bonus - 10 bonus) = skill required
110 bonus = skill required
110 bonus requires 27 ranks, as Anticor said (10 * 5 + 10 * 4 + 7 * 3).

I haven't played a sorc in years. However, the improvement of LBP over soft leather is pretty profound.

Asha
08-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks so much for your help.
That cleared the whole thing up nicely.

One last question, since LBP doesn't cover anything but torso, isn't that a bad thing for a frail sorc not have the rest covered.
Unless you can wear it WITH doubles.

Latrinsorm
08-19-2005, 03:52 PM
You're very welcome!

LBP does in fact cover everything (though the name and website picture suggest otherwise). The best part about stepping up to a new Armor Group is that you get the Damage Factor (DF) of the stronger Armor Group on all body parts. However, you aren't guaranteed a better DF, as some weapon types actually have a better DF vs. rigid than vs. soft, mostly ranged, THW, and poles.

When it comes to Crit Divisor, LBP covers the torso (chest, abdomen, back) with rigid leather, and everything else with soft leather. The rigid Crit Divisor doesn't take weapon type into consideration, and is usually 7 (but there is a little bit of variability) compared to soft leather's 5.

Wearing both LBP AND a suit of double leather is impossible, as they are both worn in the armor slot.

trickse
08-19-2005, 05:13 PM
>inv armor
You are wearing a silver starred wizard hat and some light sealskin leathers.

Your careful inspection of a silver starred wizard hat allows you to conclude that it is miscellaneous armor that covers the head.
You determine that you could wear the hat on your head.

Your careful inspection of some light sealskin leathers allows you to conclude that it is soft leather armor that covers the torso only.
You determine that you could wear the leathers around your chest.

Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Minor Water...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a wraith.
[Spell Hindrance for some light sealskin leathers is 4% with current Armor Use skill, d100= 4]
Your armor prevents the spell from working correctly.

NOTE: it metions the leathers not the hat, but does the combo of the hat and the leathers make a difference?

Flit Flightington

Celephais
08-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, your hat is actually considered a peice of armor, you could be wearing a metal breastplate and that hat and you would get Full plate restrictions.

Clarification (edit):
Armor types are broken into four categories each with different coverages. In the case of soft leather you have light, full, reinforced and double. Each category adds another coverage area, chest, arms, legs, head/neck respectively. If you adorn yourself with armor accesories that add coverage to an area, your restrictions are based on the lowest armor needed to cover that area. So by wearing a helm (yes your wizards hat is considered a helm) you are adding coverage to your head, regardless of what base armor you are wearing. Armor accesories don't fall into the "leather/scale/chain/plate" groups, so you can be wearing "Metal Greaves" with leather and it's still leather coverage.

[Edited on 8-19-2005 by Celephais]

trickse
08-19-2005, 05:44 PM
So if I"m getting this right, the head coverage would make it seem as if I"m wearing Double, which has both a 4% wizard circle hindrance, and a 4% Major Elem Circle Hindrince, hince the dialog.

So basically if I want to hunt or cast I have to take off my hat, or suffer hindrance percentages.

I think I'm getting it now, Thanks Everyone for the enlightenment.

Flit Flightington

Drew
08-19-2005, 06:04 PM
If you want to keep the hat, switch to double leathers so you have coverage everywhere.