PDA

View Full Version : Halloween!

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 08:58 PM
One of my favorite holidays!

The history of this season is founded in ancient Celtic practices, I believe. Anyone know anything about it?

I Don't Like It when people don't get into the spirit of halloween by dressing up as stuff completely non-related...ie. rock stars, clowns...

Halloween is about honoring the spirits of the deceased, not about clowns and super heroes.

I think the idea is that spirits came to the doors of their living families who left offerings of food and stuff as a sign of respect.

Ghosts, spirits....RL halloween should be JUSt like the Ebon Gate festival.

Ebon Gate is the best!

What do ya'll think?

-grays/d

edited: no hate.

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by Halfsilver]

Snapp
10-01-2003, 09:02 PM
I think its a bit much to say you "hate" people who dress up as non-ghosts.. Halloween is cool and all, but I don't "honor" anyone for it.

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 09:04 PM
I hate Halloween. I just don't like the idea at all. Trick or treating was never my thing. Maybe when I'm older and you have adult Halloween parties or maybe when I have kids and have my kid dressed up as a lion or a pumpkin I'll like it.

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm just saying halloween would be more enjoyable if people stuck to the ghost/undead theme. Stupid crap like clowns ruin the ambiance of Halloween.
Graveyards, mist....spooky noises...I just get way into it. It's alot of fun.

-grays/d (loves the most morbid of holidays!)

Fabled
10-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I love jumping out of my bushes to scare the little kiddies before givin' em candy... Rarrr! (Most of the time the kids just stare at me and the poor parents are clutching their chests! :saint: Yay for Halloween.

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:07 PM
YES! that's the spirit!

Scare the shit out of someone!

Demand tribute as the spirits of old did!

::cackles evilly::

-grays/d

Khaitiff
10-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Halfsilver
Stupid crap like clowns ruin the ambiance of Halloween.

-grays/d (loves the most morbid of holidays!)

Clowns in general ruin the ambiance of everyday life! I hate clowns and I think its time we rid the world of them all....

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Agreed whole-heartedly, Khaitiff.

but, especially on MY holiday.

Die CLowns.

-grays/d

ElvenRangeress
10-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Amen Khaitiff!!!!!! ;o) *trembles in fear thinking about clowns and their big red noses and their rainbow colored hair which is all curly and ratty* :(

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by ElvenRangeress]

ElvenRangeress
10-01-2003, 09:12 PM
aawwwwww!!

Khaitiff
10-01-2003, 09:13 PM
Thats my boy on his first halloween! God he rocked in that outfit just owning it and being cute and shit..... DIE CLOWNS DIE!

Betheny
10-01-2003, 09:13 PM
I like to buy halloween candy, and eat it in front of the kids at the door and say I don't have anything for them.

Just kidding.

I don't know if they trick or treat at my house, but I guess I'll be finding out. I like Halloween because it means my birthday has just passed. But I haven't actually done anything for halloween in years.

Miss X
10-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Aww, I think its kinda sad that Halloween isnt really celebrated over here to the extent that it is in the US. You can actually get arrested for trick or treating. My parents would never let me or my sister do it!
We dont have thanksgiving either! ::wails:: Its not fair, Americans get all the cool holidays!
Vx

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:15 PM
I think halloween is more of a big thing up north. Everyone up there gets into it.

Jack-o-lanterns, haunted hay-rides...apple cider...pumpkin pie...cornstalks...They know the true spirit of Halloween. Besides, it has to have that crisp fall chill in the air and the smell of fallen leaves. THAT's halloween. That and ghosts and scary stories. LOVE it.

Down here in Florida, they don't know anything about the season. They don't even deserve to celebrate it.

StrayRogue
10-01-2003, 09:15 PM
We use it as an excuse to get dressed up (I was Batman last year), go out and make fools of our selves. In fact, its pretty similar to all our holidays...

StrayRogue
10-01-2003, 09:17 PM
As an ammendment, I love the way America kind of "over-does" everything. I'd love to spend an Xmas, Halloween there. Just watching things like Roseanne (sp), or Home Alone, shows you the extremes American families go to celebrate it. I love it!

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:20 PM
I know. We're just so great.

Halloween is the best. w00t!

StrayRogue
10-01-2003, 09:21 PM
We can still outdrink any of you ;)

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 09:23 PM
That is so cute... Here is what I'd dress my son up as. In order... bumble bee, tigger (or a lion), a pumpkin, a clown, a cowboy, and then... I guess... hmm.. Winnie the pooh and maybe Piglet. Maybe he can be Aladdin one year!

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Well yeah, you've had beer for almost 2000 years before we were even a country.

Give us a couple of millenia.

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Booo, Leloo

Dress him up as a little skeleton or something

-grays/d:thumbsup:

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Woo!

Daina knows about the spirit of Halloween!

No bumble bees or clowns for her!

-grays/d

Betheny
10-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Thanksgiving totally rocks.

No other holiday like that, where you can get together with your family and just be thankful you've got what you've got. Least commercialized holiday.

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Boo Gray! my baby would be adorable. No skeletons, he'll be a pumpkin!

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Alright...for the record, Pumpkins are acceptable.

that'll work, Leloo. :D

-grays/d (reviving the spirit of halloween)

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Thanksgiving is good cause it's like a holiday all about just eating.. no religious pray to god.. eat turkey!

Betheny
10-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanksgiving is the only holiday I participate in, nowadays. Even then, it's really tough. My family thinks I hate them.

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Roar! I will not fit into a mold! my child will be Simba.

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:42 PM
NOOO....if you actually participate in the true spirit of Halloween....you go AGAINST the mold, since it's so popular to be all lion king/clown/superman. Gah!

-grays/d

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Fine! Fine! My child will be dressed as a loaf of bread!

Betheny
10-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Can't go as a pilgrim. A friend of mine did, and he got thrown out of school for something about offending Native Americans.

Hips
10-01-2003, 09:47 PM
....I'm being Selphie this Halloween. I have the entire outfit except the boots. Still looking for a good pair of those. :smilegrin:

I need an Irvine, though. Greg most likely won't be home from college for the weekend, and my best guy friend cut his hair REAL short, so he can't do it either... Boo to guys with uber-short hair, not being able to be my Irvine. :(

[if you followed any of that, you rock.]

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Ghosts, spirits....Graveyards, mist....spooky noises...Scaring the shit out of someone! Demanding tribute/candy as the spirits of old did! Jack-o-lanterns, haunted hay-rides...apple cider...pumpkin pie...cornstalks...that crisp fall chill in the air and the smell of fallen leaves. ghosts and scary stories.

Recap of what the spirit of Halloween is.

-grays/d

Hips
10-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Ehhh... I like apple cider, does that count? :lol:

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Only if you aren't violating the spirit of halloween by dressing up as something stupid like a clown or (one of the all-time worst costumes) a huge baby.

You have to dress up like the spirit of someone who is dead or a demon or a devil or a ghost or zombie or skeleton!

come on, people!

-grays/d:smilegrin:

Hips
10-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Scroll up to see what I'm being...
I'm "violating the spirit" about as badly as it can be violated... bein' all spunky and happy and singing about trains... WHOO! :saint:

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 09:58 PM
My son will be a loaf of bread. My husband will be a can of Diet Pepsi. My dog will be dressed as a clown and I will be dressed as a cat.

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 10:02 PM
You two are impossible :P

I'm disappointed, Michi...You're from New England...you should know about the spirit of Halloween. Hmph.

-grays/d:sniffle:

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm from New England! I'm from New Jersey... Northern Jersey!

Halfsilver
10-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Jersey doesn't count! :P

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 10:05 PM
It does too you big meanie! New Jersey is like.. the best!

Betheny
10-01-2003, 10:16 PM
let's go pumpkin picking in the Catskills.

peam
10-01-2003, 10:17 PM
You guys have any costumes lined up for yourselves?

I'm either doing a werewolf, a mummy, or a gorilla.

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 10:18 PM
I don't dress up for Halloween. I will be working until 7:30, showering, and shutting out all trick-or-treaters.

peam
10-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Pshhh. I'll be getting off at 7ish, getting dressed up, and getting intoxicated.

Back
10-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
I don't dress up for Halloween. I will be working until 7:30, showering, and shutting out all trick-or-treaters.

Why not go as Leloo? rowr

One friend of mine is going as that dead chick from Twin Peaks.

I don't have a good one yet.

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 10:26 PM
I hate Halloween! How about I go as a girl who works at a grocery store and is tired?

Back
10-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Oh come on! Its fun!

My favorite Halloween was when I bought that blue stuff you stick things to walls with? I made pointy ear tips and covered them with flesh colored coverup. Then shaved half my eyebrows, put on a red turtleneck and black pants and I was Spock!

My buddy bought a suit from the Salvation Army and covered it entirely in silver duct tape. He even had a tie and fedora.

We took the subway to a party in Williamsburg. It was hilarious. Bet you've never heard spock say, "Nice ass!"

I woke up with those eartips still stuck to my ears.

GSLeloo
10-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Hmm.. someone ask Strayrogue what they do in England. Do they have a halloweenish type holiday? I remember my father said they have some holiday.. guy fawkes day, is it?

StrayRogue
10-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Heh. Guy Fawkes night, Fifth of November. "Remember remember the fifth of november" otherwise known as Bonfire night. Basically the history of the "Gunpowder Plot" is as follows: Early 1600's, Queen Liz number 1 had died, and James I was less than a suitable replacement. So a group of men thought it would be a good thing to try and blow him, and the houses of Parliament up. However, due to one of the conspirators buckling under the pressure and confession, Guy Fawkes, the leader, and the men were captured, and all 36 barrels of gun-powder removed from under the Houses of Parliament. He was then tortured, and finally burnt at the stake.

Every year we burn effigies of Guy over big bonfires, shoot off a load of fireworks, and have a good time.

Back
10-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Halloween actually comes from a pagan ritual dubbed "Sam Hain". In the fall is when the spirit world comes closest to ours. It is a chance to speak with those you knew and loved in life. Of course, I would imagine, some people used it for more nefarious purposes.

peam
10-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Samhain was a badass band.

AnticorRifling
10-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Heh. Guy Fawkes night, Fifth of November. "Remember remember the fifth of november" otherwise known as Bonfire night. Basically the history of the "Gunpowder Plot" is as follows: Early 1600's, Queen Liz number 1 had died, and James I was less than a suitable replacement. So a group of men thought it would be a good thing to try and blow him, and the houses of Parliament up. However, due to one of the conspirators buckling under the pressure and confession, Guy Fawkes, the leader, and the men were captured, and all 36 barrels of gun-powder removed from under the Houses of Parliament. He was then tortured, and finally burnt at the stake.

Every year we burn effigies of Guy over big bonfires, shoot off a load of fireworks, and have a good time.

I was there for that in 98 it rocked! London owns!!

For halloween I dress up as a mummy/scarecrow/something and sit in a chair on my porch with a bowl of candy by my side and a sign on my lap that says please take only 1. I sit extremely still even when kids are messing with me.

If someone takes only 1 I'll say thanks or something and that gives them a start.

If someone snags more than one or messes with me too bad I'll chase them down the street. :cool:

I love Halloween I gotta decide what I'm doing this year....

Hips
10-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Well, I can either go as Selphie or Alice (from American McGee's version of Alice).

I have the Alice costume too.... I just have to sew pockets into it, add the symbols, and smear some fake blood on the apron. Oh yeah, and find a realistic fake butcher knife. ;)

She's probably more like your "spirit of Halloween" than spunky Selphie, eh?

Drew2
10-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Dia de los muertos is more about "honoring the dead" than Halloween. Halloween was created by candy companies. Get it right.

Drew2
10-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko
Well, I can either go as Selphie or Alice (from American McGee's version of Alice).

I have the Alice costume too.... I just have to sew pockets into it, add the symbols, and smear some fake blood on the apron. Oh yeah, and find a realistic fake butcher knife. ;)

She's probably more like your "spirit of Halloween" than spunky Selphie, eh?

That game was pretty cool.

Stunseed
10-02-2003, 09:23 AM
That it was. Great idea for the Alice costume!

Tsa`ah
10-02-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Halfsilver
Ghosts, spirits....Graveyards, mist....spooky noises...Scaring the shit out of someone! Demanding tribute/candy as the spirits of old did! Jack-o-lanterns, haunted hay-rides...apple cider...pumpkin pie...cornstalks...that crisp fall chill in the air and the smell of fallen leaves. ghosts and scary stories.

That's how we do it. Farm boy style.

Every year my uncle has a party. We have beer laden chili cooked in a cauldron, beer, trick or treater candy, a few trick or treaters (see spouse), hay rides through the back 90 (it's pretty creepy along the river), beer, wild costumes, beer, bobbing for apples in beer, a pumpkin carving contest, beer, hay loft jumping while holding a beer (winner is the person with the most beer in the container), 3 am pumpkin smashing in the 10 building downtown area, prank calls, beer.

All of this starts at 9, from 5-9 it's for the kids. After 9 an unwilling volunteer takes custody of the kids (we rotate year after year).

A tradition I hope we don't stop this year (due to one upset parent after 40 years of the tradition) is stealing candy from trick or treaters. Every year for the last 40 years our family has gone out and scarred the shit out of some poor kids (usually 5 or 6) and took their bag. We're not heartless about it. My grandfather always followed us in the truck with "gifts" for the victims. Usually it was a new bike, games, candy, something that was more than worth the time of the kid. Last year we handed out a few play stations and X-Boxs. The last victim got a new bike and the mother started bitching about legal action because her kid didn't get the Play station. I hope we don't drop it this year.

The only problem I have with upholding "tradition" arguments is the fact that they seem to wane around Christmas time.

Hips
10-02-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
The last victim got a new bike and the mother started bitching about legal action because her kid didn't get the Play station.

Words cannot describe how f*cking stupid that parent is. I'm sorry that that kind of stuff happens, I know if I was the kid I'd be like... "STFU mom, I just got a NEW BIKE for christ's sake."

Originally posted by Stunseed
That it was. Great idea for the Alice costume!

Heh, thanks! My guy friend told me I look like her (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing).

I was "normal" Alice last year. Only seniors are allowed to dress up (or that's the way it's -supposed- to be, anyway), so my whole group of friends went as Alice characters- the Cheshire cat, the Queen of Hearts, Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum, the white rabbit, the caterpillar (who later on in the day, turned into a butterfly), etc. It was pretty awesome.

edited for spelling. :thumbsdown:

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by GS3 Michiko]

longshot
10-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Oh God!

One year in college, there was a 2 on 2 at this local shithole bar. For you non-frat and sorority people, a 2 on 2 is a list party with two frats and two sororities.

Anyways, I decide to go as a heroin addict.

I took one of my diabetic friend's syringes, and snapped off the needle. I clear taped it to my arm, and drew huge veins and track marks with markers. I also had a belt on my arm. I wore a T-shirt that was WAY too small, and messed my hair all up. I used black makeup to make my eyes look like I'd been fucked up for weeks.

It was awesome!

At the party, one girl came up to me and said, "That is so creative!"

Every other sororstitue pretty much screamed in horror.

"You are like, um, such a sick fuckerrr."

It was well worth it, although needless to say I did not hook up that night.

edited because I my cognative ability has been slowly eroded by life in Japan...

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by longshot]

Warriorbird
10-02-2003, 11:00 AM
My last fun costume was as the Nameless One from Planescape: Torment.

Camri
10-02-2003, 11:21 AM

That's how we do it. Farm boy style.

Every year my uncle has a party. We have beer laden chili cooked in a cauldron, beer, trick or treater candy, a few trick or treaters (see spouse), hay rides through the back 90 (it's pretty creepy along the river), beer, wild costumes, beer, bobbing for apples in beer, a pumpkin carving contest, beer, hay loft jumping while holding a beer (winner is the person with the most beer in the container), 3 am pumpkin smashing in the 10 building downtown area, prank calls, beer.

All of this starts at 9, from 5-9 it's for the kids. After 9 an unwilling volunteer takes custody of the kids (we rotate year after year).

I'm almost scared to ask this, but where are you from?

It sounds like.... here. :?:

Tsa`ah
10-02-2003, 11:26 AM
East Central IL. Corn country.

Kia
10-02-2003, 11:28 AM
I like candy, therefore, Halloween is the goods.

KIA.

Warriorbird
10-02-2003, 11:35 AM
I think I'm gonna go crazy on those inside out Reese's.

Notsosweet
10-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Ok well im going to share last years Halloween Story .. and get laughed at by all of you :lol::lol::lol:
Last year My friend and I and her husband went to this haunted house. Well i do belive in haunted houses and this place was once a fly by night hospital and then later it was a home for criminaly insane and then a convelesant home, then finally shut down . We won tickets to go through this mansion . We went on Halloween night . When you walked into the first room , there were candles all over and some original bedroom furniture, which was cool because i really like old houses like that. Well ...all of a sudden the floor seems like its gone and you are in this pitch black hallway that you almost have to walk sideways through. You can hear screaming through the walls , moaning etc.. all of this i was ok with. Until through the dark SOMEONE touched me ! they carressed my neck ..and it was pitch black in there ! So i screamed like a big old baby and im trying to get out of this damn hallway so i can see again < mind you i hate the dark >
Finally we come to these steps , and i mean they were straight down , the railing was falling apart as we begin to walk down the steps the " grim reaper" comes out of no where and tells us to go to the right at the bottom of the steps. I kinda laugh at her because she doesnt look to scary . we keep going down the steps and all of a sudden Out pops Freddy.. well from a bad childhood memory i cant stand Freddy so i scream bloody murder and i go to back up .. i figure theres some way i can get around him when i feel someone pushing on me to go down .. I turn my head just enough to see this nasty hand on my shoulder , i was so scared i couldnt move .. couldnt scream nothing.. I just started to cry.. You know the silent im so scared WTF am i gonna do cry.. so i grabbed my friends husband and used him as a shield and pushed him as fast as we could go down the stairs at the bottom there was a hairpin turn to the right and Freddy reached for me but i slipped between the railing and my human shield.
Next we end up in this kitchen with all this blood and gore and i shit you not brains < prolly animal brains now that i think about it > smeared on counters and the walls and you see what looks like a fake cook prison guard lady , well you have to touch her to get out and into the next room , well she wasnt fake , she turned around at the very moment i was passing her and smeared that blood/brain crap on me. I thought i was going to faint dead away i was so scared i stood there with my eyes closed just screaming and shaking.. my friend pushed me into the next room Where there was a electric chair, with some idiot buring in it.. he was a good actor drooling and all crazy looking .. well when you go to the door to get out you push on it and wouldnt you know that sets the chair off .. so here you are trying your damdest to get out and you are " burning " this guy . well we get out of that room
And you enter the birthing room where the female imates gave birth , they had all these hospital beds and cribs and all these nutty people dressed in straight jackets and a few were mauling these really realistic babies. I was still being pushed i couldnt walk on my own out of fright
Next thing i know im in this room all alone and its dark as hell then a strobe light starts flashing and Hell raiser comes at me .. That was the scariest shit i have ever seen in my entire life .. I couldnt move i wanted to but i couldnt.. I was trying to scream and it wouldnt come out.. so i started to cry again .. I just stood there and bawled like a little kid, i was so scared i thought i was going to wet my pants :no:
I think the Hell Raiser guy realised how scared i was and he took my hand and started talking to me and he told me he would get me out of there , i just nodded and he took out this radio and told someone that he had to bring me out :lol:Which was nice of him because he could have just made fun of me . Well i got out and im here today even though i thought i was going to die.. I love Halloween .. But i will NEVER go to a place like that ever again .. Ok go ahead laugh at me im 26 and i cant go to a haunted house...

Warriorbird
10-02-2003, 11:56 AM
:chuckles: I used to run around in my Shadow costume and scare the crap out of people scaring little kids with masks and running haunted stuff when I was in HS. Fake pearl handles can scare the crap outta people.

Camri
10-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Notsosweet
.. Ok go ahead laugh at me im 26 and i cant go to a haunted house...

Umm... :lol::lol::lol:

Camri
10-02-2003, 12:01 PM
East Central IL. Corn country.

Close enough, we're almost neighbors.

I knew that had to be some midwest stuff you were talking about.

Warriorbird
10-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Don't feel bad. My mother's petrified of that kind've stuff. She's 49.

Notsosweet
10-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Camri

Originally posted by Notsosweet
.. Ok go ahead laugh at me im 26 and i cant go to a haunted house...

Umm... :lol::lol::lol:

Ok bitch ..LOL and i thought you liked me