PDA

View Full Version : Aelotoi cannot be clerics?

Drew
08-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Why?

Nieninque
08-11-2005, 06:31 AM
They dont believe in the arkati

And they are butterflies.

SayGoodbye
08-11-2005, 06:32 AM
I'm not sure but if I had to wager a guess I'd say it's because they're not from Elanthia and don't believe in the Arkati.

Damn Nien for being more awake than me.. what she said.

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by SayGoodbye]

Miss X
08-11-2005, 06:33 AM
Because they aren't familiar with the Deities in our little world since they have not been part of it for long, so can't harness the power of said deities to raise the dead? At least... That was my take on it.

Also.. What Nien said.. ;)

[Edited on 11-8-05 by Miss X]

Drew
08-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Hmmm. My in-character take has always been that the deities don't really have anything to do with raising, and it's all mana-manipulation, since most of my characters tend not to believe in the Arkati as gods, just very accomplished wizards.

Showal
08-11-2005, 06:37 AM
I thought they were angels sent down from heaven as a sign that God does not like GS' twisted religion and he's going to punish us? In which case, they're not able to be clerics because they're angels.

Drew
08-11-2005, 06:46 AM
I will say that if every Aelotoi was deleted tommorow I don't think anyone would really notice.

Burnt out Priestess
08-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Only thing that bugs me on the aelotoi is the language of being broken common,other then that they are cute with the little wings.

Artha
08-11-2005, 07:30 AM
I will say that if every Aelotoi was deleted tommorow I don't think anyone would really notice.
I'd have to change my guide to make halflings the best empath race :\

Miss X
08-11-2005, 07:32 AM
I struggle to take any Aelotoi character seriously. I don't know why... They just annoy me.

Asha
08-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Are the Arkati the deities you call upon for the major and minor spirit circle spells?
No clue how it actually works, but wouldn't Aelotoi empaths be believing in them?

Leetahkin
08-11-2005, 08:06 AM
My Aelotoi friend is so cute! I want his wings. Or be wrapped in them.

I would definitely notice if that race was deleted. Ent'd miss Gonzo :no:

cajunlady
08-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
Are the Arkati the deities you call upon for the major and minor spirit circle spells?
No clue how it actually works, but wouldn't Aelotoi empaths be believing in them?

The clerics and paladins I know beseech their deity or patrons... the empaths I don't think call upon the spirits for aid do they? As to your earlier posts about clerics not having to believe in a deity... I suppose you could try to buck it, but wrath, fuy, blinding, prayer,... *trying to think- been up too long* all relate specifically to the cleric's deity. Whether the cleric has bane or smite is relative to deity... if you don't choose, I think you have a flat mana cost of 3 instead of 2/4 (2 for living w/bane-4 for undead) or vice-versa if you went liabo and have smite.

I'm not to sure how you could RP a cleric who didn't believe in a deity... uness said cleric didn't cast the spells I mentioned...and was more sword and board.. and.. and... isn't that a Paladin?
I don't know enough about Paladins to comment except to say when I see them spell up, they call on a patron.

edited to add:
Oh, and as far as raising goes and arkati...
The reason a more learned cleric *40* has a "true" raise in that the deader is restored to 50 % health and spirit, and that the cleric loses very little spirit themselves is the the deity supplies most of the work at that point. So it is more than mana :D

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by cajunlady]

Jolena
08-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I have an Aelotoi empath and I RP with her that she doesn't believe in the Arkati. She's done research on them of course, so she's familiar with the environment, culture and history of the land she's now in, but no, she doesn't want to worship one nor does she believe in their power. It's also why she'll never be a Volner. :)

Oh and hell yeah, I freaking hate having to speak in broken common. I mean it made sense for a bit, but by now, wouldn't Aelotoi have learned how to speak common better? They really should try to institute some type of program in the game where Aelotoi can learn common on a higher level and stop having that stupid "Speaking in broken common" phrase before every sentance. Grr.

Shonison
08-11-2005, 01:40 PM
The GM's did say (I think) that at some point in the future, the Aelotoi would have a quest in which they would be accepted by the Arkati. This would allow them to become clerics (and paladins?). As far as empaths, that's a flaw in game design that will be fixed when minor mental comes out. As of now, they do call upon the greater spirits of Elanthia.

Snapp
08-11-2005, 01:43 PM
They're just a flawed race then. If they're going to limit them from being clerics (and paladins?) because of the spiritual side of it, then they shouldn't be able to get any spiritual spells at all (major or minor).

Iqxero
08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
There is a difference between harnessing the present spiritual power of Elanthia, and supplicationg yourself before Lorminstra to grant you defense or renewed life of a fallen ally based on your long history of service and belief in her.

Wizards don't have to worship fire to cast elemental spells, why should empaths have to worship a god to harness the spiritual energy present in themselves and elanthia to heal their own mangled bodies?

With the possible exception of about 5 clerics who roleplay that way, clerics spell messaging and spells are much more about asking the gods to help them.

Minor spiritual spell messaging I believe are much more harnassing spiritual energy to do your bidding.

Just my opinion however.

ElanthianSiren
08-11-2005, 09:05 PM
This may have been asked before, but why do the Aelotoi have to worship the Elanthian deities?

Most religions have a myth about ressurection; I doubt the Aelotoi culture would be different. It's just odd, if you actually consider it.

If gods/Arkati are all-knowing and everywehre, why are the Aelotoi gods/goddesses not in Elanthia as part of them?

-M

Artha
08-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Aelotoi arkati (http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/aelotoi/lnaere.asp).

Why do I still remember this crap? Agh.

edit:

I struggle to take any Aelotoi character seriously. I don't know why... They just annoy me.
It's ok, that's how everyone else feels about halflings!!!

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Artha]

ElanthianSiren
08-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Wow, the tale is quite interesting. I wonder how you kill a goddess.

So, the Aelotoi had no system of ressurection on their planet, I gather. Why would the Elanthian arkati then let them be ressurected in Elanthia? It all just seems odd to me, like we're trying to make a monotheistic system from a polytheistic pantheon -- or like we didn't have enough time to create a separate pantheon of new gods/goddesses.

-M

Artha
08-11-2005, 09:55 PM
What's interesting to me is how that tale references drakes and ur'daemons, even though that tale isn't the "official" way it happened anymore. Now it's some crap about the dark and the light and the grey and the One.

Anyway, Arkati are just like more powerful elves rather than gods - basically immortal, but with a bunch of extra powers thrown in. Drakes'd be like more powerful arkati, I guess.

ElanthianSiren
08-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm going to have to reread the docs. I confess I haven't read them probably since the first hunt for history.

I haven't even seen a new one on the arkati. Thanks for the info.

-M

Drew
08-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Artha
Anyway, Arkati are just like more powerful elves rather than gods - basically immortal, but with a bunch of extra powers thrown in. Drakes'd be like more powerful arkati, I guess.

Right, everything in Elanthia is accomplished by manipulating the mana. It's what binds everything together (the Elanthian "force" if you will).

The Arkati are the equivilant of level 20,000 wizards or sorcerers or clerics or warriors, or whatever. That's why some focus on life-giving, some on magic, some on fighting, etc. The drakes were the true masters of mana, the Arkati were to the drakes as other species are to the Arkati.