PDA

View Full Version : Company Review

xtc
08-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know of a site that I can where I can write a review of a company and my experience. I tried epinions but they don't have the company listed.

I hired College Pro Painters and they have done a lousy job so far. They didn't wash the surfaces before painting them. They have left old paint on the window sill so they surface is uneven and they have started to apply primer over it. They say it is unnecessary to sand the surface and that the paint won't crack or blister even though they aren't painting on a smooth sanded surface.

I called the President this morning to complain and was shocked that he was rude and had the people skills of a nat. He asked why was I calling him about and what did he want him to do about. When I told him that I expect to call the job supervise and tell him to sand the service and make it smooth. He then tells me that he doesn't like being told what to do. Why ask then? He went into this bs speel about sanding not being necessary and that it won't hurt it to paint on an uneven surface. I told him that I have visited websites of Major paint manufacturers and Home Improve Shows and they all recommend scraping and sanding an exterior surface to remove old paint. They all say that complete prep is the key to a good paint job and if you scrimp you will pay for it later. He ended the call by saying he would have his GM look into it but made no promises. He then hung up without saying a word no goodbye nothing. I was shocked, their parent company First Service Corp is an $800 million company.

Be forewarned stay away from College Pro painters.

I would welcome any suggestion if I get home tonight and find another crappy job by these guys?

Edaarin
08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Introduce them to Tom O'Leary and Jack Johnson. Then engage in fisticuffs.

EDIT: Was the president the first person you called...? Seems a bit excessive to go that high without trying a customer service rep.

[Edited on 8-10-2005 by Edaarin]

CrystalTears
08-10-2005, 12:16 PM
They're in college, what did you expect. Har har.

I don't know much about painting personally, but I do find it odd that a professional paint company wouldn't take the time to scrape off the old paint before putting on the new. The paint goes on better on a freshly paved surface, it seems. But again, what do I know.

I'm in agreement with Edaarin. I hope that you spoke with their customer support or someone above the painters before going to the president. There are protocols of who to speak to first with most any company, so that's probably why he was wondering why you were calling him.

My president would be pretty ticked off if the first person that an irrate customer spoke with was him because it catches him offguard. I don't think he would take it out on the customer, but he would rip someone's ass around here though.

xtc
08-10-2005, 12:24 PM
I spoke with the Franchisee Manager first before going to the President.

I haven't had a lot of success dealing with customer service in the past. I didn't speak with them before going to the President, perhaps it was a little premature however I am use to dealing with Presidents and Senior Managers in my business. I find things get done faster when you start at the top.

Gan
08-10-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd start with The Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org)

Then I'd contact your local TV news agency and speak with their consumer affairs department - they love stories like this and can help force a remedy.

I'd also look over your labor contract with College Pro Painters and see if paint scraping was included in the original bid/price. Thats going to be the baseline for the agreement and their minimum performance.

And I see nothing wrong with going straight to the top. My CEO loves it when customers call him, that means that the customer feels that this issue is very important to them - ergo its important to him. And believe me, results are expedient when he fields a call such as the one described above.

xtc
08-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I looked at my contract and it says they will properly prepare the surface to be painted. They have scraped it but there is still some residual paint there and as such an uneven surface. When the Franchisee Manager gave me the quote, we walked around the house together and I pointed out the poor state of the current paint. I told him that it has to be sanded and he said ok. However when I checked my contract today the box that says sanding isn't checked. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know what takes precedence, his verbal commitment that he would sand it or the contract that doesn't say sanding. My guess is the written contract takes precedence, however the contract does say the surface will be properly prepared for painting. I don't consider residual paint causing an uneven surface proper preparation.

If the job isn't done properly I won't pay him the remainder of the money due which constitutes 90% of the total and I will contact the BBB.

Janarth
08-10-2005, 04:34 PM
College Pro Painters had $35 Million in sales last year...Who did you talk to there? I say sue 'em. Deliver written notice at least (at which point they have to turn around and inform their insurance company) and see what happens. Worth a shot. I mean, how much did you pay these guys? If its ten grand, I'd certainly get the paperwork going.
A lot of times, companies don't take things seriously until they receive written notice.

xtc
08-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I spoke to their President.

10 grand lol, hell no. I just contracted them to paint my garage door,shutters and window frames, cost $1000.

We have lawyers on staff at my firm but I haven't approached them. I am hoping to resolve this without lawsuits.

Janarth are you a lawyer?

[Edited on 8-10-2005 by xtc]

AnticorRifling
08-10-2005, 04:42 PM
You need Celember to post in this topic in all seriousness. u2u him and get his input. Professional restorations and painting is something he did for years so I'm sure he can give some solid imput.

AnticorRifling
08-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Also walking into the office with a beer bottle full of gas with a rag sticking out of the top and asking for a match generally gets people willing to help.

Soulpieced
08-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Speaking from a contracts background, I'd say you're in business if you can easily prove that they, "will properly prepare the surface to be painted" was not followed and resulted in an insufficient paint job. Don't know that this is something to go to the lawyers yet.

Edaarin
08-10-2005, 05:13 PM
If you have a copy of your contract, I'd show it to one of your company's lawyers for a quick perusal. They can tell you exactly what the company promised to do for you for what price.

xtc
08-11-2005, 04:15 PM
When I got home last night they had done a much better job of scraping off the old paint around the window frames. They have painted the garage and the shutters and did quite a good job.

I kind of feel bad now for going off on this kid and calling the President. My neighbour told me last night they worked solid all yesterday. The kid called me today and told me he finished the job. The neighbour says he did a pretty good job on the whole but I don't know if she looked at the windows.

He is coming by tomorrow to get paid. If he has done a good job do you think I should write the kid a letter of recommendation? I can put it on company letterhead. He is studying business at university and I think this has been his first serious job. I don't want to dissuade his efforts and enthusiasm for business.

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by xtc]