PDA

View Full Version : "as is" items on EBay

Revalos
08-07-2005, 01:47 PM
If someone sells something like a graphics card or a CPU on EBay and caveats it with "as is" even if they talk about how great the thing is, if they never say the card works and when you get it doesn't, do you have the right to leave negative feedback or request a refund?

Doyle Hargraves
08-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't know, but that's what "Ask seller a question" is there for.

"Hey, does this 'as is' card actually work?"

Revalos
08-07-2005, 01:51 PM
So it is just caveat emptor if the question isn't asked before the auction ends?

The Cat In The Hat
08-07-2005, 01:53 PM
You have the right to leave feedback based on your experience with the seller reguardless of the actual outcome. The seller then has the option of replying to your negative with his side (in 80 characters or less ROFL)

Ebay's strictly buyer beware. I've personally never had a problem with sellers claiming something worked when it didn't and im a firm believer in "If you want something check ebay first!!"

General rule of thumb though, if something is listed AS IS, there's probably something wrong with it that made the seller feel the need to add that to the listing.

Edaarin
08-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Feedback isn't covered by the law as far as I know, so long as it's not libel.

If you buy something that's sold "as is" and it doesn't work, you're certainly free to say as much. Similarly, the seller has the right to leave an additional comment on your feedback that they sold it "as is."

I wouldn't waste my time buying anything advertised "as is." Waaaaaaaay too much liability.

Parkbandit
08-07-2005, 02:03 PM
It is obvious that the intent of the seller is to deceive you in not disclosing that the graphics card is actually working... so there is no trouble leaving negative feedback as such.