PDA

View Full Version : What profession to pick for a mage...

weasel82
08-05-2005, 12:39 PM
I was thinking about herbalism and enchanting...anyone want to add some input on what would be good for a mage to pick?

StrayRogue
08-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Tailoring/Enchanting.

CrystalTears
08-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Or herbalism/alchemy. Even though it's not as profitable as some of the other profesisons, it's not that expensive to do either. Plus it has some good potions for protection and armor, aside from the ever essential health and mana potions.

Although your suggestion can be just as good if you save a good stash of herbs and then learn alchemy sometime later. I didn't take up tailoring and no one ever sent me stuff, yet I found great stuff just from drops that are better than tailored items.

It depends on whether you are part of a guild, plan on hunting in groups a lot, or if you prefer to solo. Alchemy is great for the solo mage.

weasel82
08-05-2005, 12:54 PM
well, i did want to do enchanting...i heard tailoring and enchanting was good because you can tailor some green products then disenchant them for the regeants...i heard regeants were expensive

StrayRogue
08-05-2005, 12:56 PM
You heard right.

weasel82
08-05-2005, 01:40 PM
now my question is whether i can remove one profession to pick up another...

CrystalTears
08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
You can always unlearn any profession. On the character screen when you go to view your skills, click on the profession and on the bottom portion it will give you a small button to click on to unlearn.

Keller
08-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by weasel82
well, i did want to do enchanting...i heard tailoring and enchanting was good because you can tailor some green products then disenchant them for the regeants...i heard regeants were expensive

Come play on Dunemaul and then U2U me your character name. I will provide you with a means to an end for enchanting reagents.

I would suggest herb/mining though. You can buy the enchants you need with all the extra gold.

Doyle Hargraves
08-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Tailorning/enchanting isn't a bad choice, but it isn't a very good one either. Reason being is that there's very few tailored items that you'll find more useful than items you get from quests or mob drops. The only exception I can really think of is Robe of the Archmage (http://www.thottbot.com/?i=28217). Making bags is nice, but most of the time you don't make much of a profit off them when you factor in the cost of materials.

Enchanting is convenient to have and some decent money can be made from disenchanting, but most people will enchant for free if you provide the materials, some charge a small fee. Plus the higher end recipes can cost a lot of money, and you have to do a lot of standing around town advertising if you want enchanting to be profitable. There's faster ways to make money than enchanting.

If you want something that will almost always be useful, do herbalism/alchemy.

Mining/engineering is pretty useful too from what I hear. I haven't done it yet, so I can't really elaborate much, but if you do some searching you'll see a lot of good items that can be made from engineering. Here's an example:

http://www.fanaticstower.net/images/captures/WoW/death_ray4.jpg
http://www.fanaticstower.net/images/captures/WoW/death_ray2.jpg

If you just want to make money, do mining/skinning or skinning/herbalism. I wouldn't recommend mining/herbalism because you can only track one at a time on your minimap.

[Edited on 8-5-2005 by Doyle Hargraves]

weasel82
08-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, i thought the reason to do the enchanting/tailoring is so that you can make "green" or greater items and strip them for their reagant...

Doyle Hargraves
08-05-2005, 04:21 PM
It's a good use for enchanting yeah. But like I said:

Enchanting is convenient to have and some decent money can be made from disenchanting, but most people will enchant for free if you provide the materials, some charge a small fee. Plus the higher end recipes can cost a lot of money, and you have to do a lot of standing around town advertising if you want enchanting to be profitable. There's faster ways to make money than enchanting.