PDA

View Full Version : Any skinning clerics out there?

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 06:44 AM
50 Train Cleric: 65 in first aid and 50 in survival. I enjoy hunting her alone sometimes and find it easier to skin for cash*as opposed to box hunting*- lighter, faster... and greedy that I am--I am alone and no split. Heh. Using a vultite skinning knife at present... If I find out I can NEVER skin a krynch, I'll have her give up her "hobby" and reallocate. Not being able to skin a 31 train critter has become a nagging itch that needs to be scratched! If she only gets 5 silver for the damned shin at this point, I think she *might* be satisfied.
So, any ideas on how much she needs to devote to Survival and First Aid...one or both? If just one which? Thanks in advance!

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by cajunlady]

Burnt out Priestess
08-03-2005, 06:53 AM
My cleric has like 80 in it at 74 trains..and she skins very well i think.

She can skin griffins when in illistim hunting them.

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Would that be 80 in each, First aid and Survival?... is there any one knife that does better than another? is killing through smite better on the hide than say 317? Sorry to ask so many questions.. appreciate the advice.

Burnt out Priestess
08-03-2005, 07:13 AM
she has 82 both and also i mainly use 302 and 319 in swarms,dont really use 317 much at all.

No worries ask all you want,i will help best i can.

Burnt out Priestess
08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
also this the dagger she uses a green-tinted slim vaalorn dagger,bought it on the wavedancer and had it altard

Miss X
08-03-2005, 07:16 AM
I'm certain that first aid and survival aid skinning equally, so one is not better than the other. Base your choice on need, if you want protection from harsher environs then get some survival too. Probably best for a cleric to do it that way since first aid isnt as much use to you as it is to empaths.

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 07:23 AM
still better to kneel than not - when in a hunting area where it is safe enough to do so - ? The cleric is my original charater, and I never really got much advice on this whole skinning thing... only just recently found these boards. Must sound like an idiot.. oh well. Long as I find out. So, to kneel or not to kneel? In vipershroud I average about 1,000 per fang... the best hunting is done there when everyone wants to travel,...and I feel a little guilty stirrin em up when youngers have to go through the tree... but it's easy silver. I know there is more lucrative skinning out there, I just need to find my way to it. Never hunted a griffon I don't think... will have to learn the Illistim hunting grounds I suppose.

TheRoseLady
08-03-2005, 07:25 AM
I think that krynch might be the one beast that likes one in the stronghold that you have to skin with a blunt. Damn can't think of the name of them, they yield stone hearts. That might be the reason that krynchs are not yielding a skin.

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by TheRoseLady]

Burnt out Priestess
08-03-2005, 07:26 AM
mastiffs you need a blunt to skin if i am correct and my cleric kneels to skin.

Burnt out Priestess
08-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Just talking to someone,they said the exact same thing as Miss X,2 FA is same as if you did FA once and survival once in a train.

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 07:33 AM
[Edited on 8-3-2005 by cajunlady]

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 07:35 AM
You tap a viciously serrated black vultite skinning knife, which is in your right hand.

Careful examination indicates the vultite knife has a base strength of 33 and a base durability of 235. You also determine the current integrity of the vultite knife to be at 100.0%.

Does the fact that it is serrated rip the skin as loic would dictate? Or is it simply a desriptive... I'll get a smooth edge if it means I get more outstanding skins. Pay for itself quickly.

Also... I retained 5 ranks in edged weapons thinking it might help me in using the knife properly. Is this needed... if so do I have enough.

AnticorRifling
08-03-2005, 07:36 AM
No it won't rip the skins. Most creatures will yield better skins with a smaller blade (ie a dagger versus a greatsword) however a few creatures require a blunt weapon to skin them. Kyrchs and stone mastiffs are good examples. Because they are rock you're going to use a mace to punch the skin out of the rest of the body, can't skin stone with a dagger.

Burnt out Priestess
08-03-2005, 07:39 AM
not sure exactly,this is the descript on my dagger.

>inspect dagger
You carefully inspect your slim vaalorn dagger.

After a careful inspection you determine that a green-tinted slim vaalorn dagger requires skill in edged weapons to use effectively.

>appraise dagger
Careful examination indicates the slim vaalorn dagger has a base strength of 28 and a base durability of 225. You also determine the current integrity of the slim vaalorn dagger to be at 100.0%.

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
No it won't rip the skins. Most creatures will yield better skins with a smaller blade (ie a dagger versus a greatsword) however a few creatures require a blunt weapon to skin them. Kyrchs and stone mastiffs are good examples. Because they are rock you're going to use a mace to punch the skin out of the rest of the body, can't skin stone with a dagger.

Burnt out Priestess
08-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks on that Anticor,i wasnt sure myself if it matterd if it was serrated or not.

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 07:46 AM
thank you all for being so helpful! Now to knock the shins outta some krynches...hmm.. krynchi? whatever, they must die.

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 08:02 AM
OK, am training and I do see that the TPs needed for survival jump at 54 ranks from 7 needed to 14. First aid is still 6 to at least 74 that I can see... If they count the same then it looks to make sense to use the first aid as it is one point cheaper. Miss X mentioned survival helps against the elements... is this in reference to things like the winds of pine far? I also don't quite understand why the TP needed would double like that... is there a larger benefit after that hen you train?

StrayRogue
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Survival helps you against elemental effects, like the wind and stops you from slipping on ice and stuff. It's weighted equally with First Aid. Generally it's cheaper to 1x both than 2x one of the two. I personally have 202 ranks of FA and 101 ranks of Survival. I never fail to skin awesomely.

The Ponzzz
08-03-2005, 08:50 AM
I was able to skin a Krynch with my morning star about 4 out of 5 times and only with 20 combined skill for skinning...

EDIT: Didn't read entire thread, I see the problem was already told...

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by The Ponzzz]

Drew
08-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Knife descriptions make no difference as long as it is a dagger base. There are about 3 weapons out there that actually help you with skinning and they will be a lot more expensive than most people are willing to pay.

Another interesting creature is troll kings which require a drake weapon to skin.

StrayRogue
08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Hook-blades also count as daggers.

hectomaner
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
also, if you were trained properly for skinning, you wouldnt need to kneel.

and you dont need any ranks of edged to use a dagger for skinning

and yes, some blades help for skinning more. your 'skinning' knife is nothing but a dagger, with the word skinning on it. there are several blades that aid in skinning, but they are extremely expensive, 100mil+

p.s. stray, 3x is for pussies ;)

StrayRogue
08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Being able to skin amazingly barehanded is too uber though.

Stunseed
08-03-2005, 01:41 PM
If you were really wanting to commit to skinning, someone these days owns the skinning gloves.

StrayRogue
08-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Who has them? Are they selling?

AnticorRifling
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
My empath is 3x FA, 1x survival it's all about what you want to do with your character. Before I was 1x CM with Anticor I had 1x FA and survival and I was doing fine skinning.

Stunseed
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
I should hope not, some fucking moron sold em for like 4 million, I heard. I'd slap those on my Cleric in a heartbeat.

AnticorRifling
08-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Last time I saw the skinning gloves the original Edgeleaf was trying to buy them for 50 I think.

Stunseed
08-03-2005, 02:03 PM
http://www.forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=6030

Last time I saw em.

08-03-2005, 02:34 PM
If your a cleric the smartest thing to do is to 2x in first aid. I can tend just about any wound in a a maximum of 30 seconds. Makes for less waiting on a empath, since they are slow and lazy.

Stunseed
08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Or be smart and carry liquid acantha, and screw worrying about bleeders.

cajunlady
08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
I tend well, and with true raise, the deader gets half his blood back regardless. All the comments are great thanks! I don't feel so in the dark with it, and the gloves sound awesome... are they like some freddy krugar thing?... what merchant would make something like that....

StrayRogue
08-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Wounds massively fuck up skinning.