PDA

View Full Version : Ki-Lin Hunt

Askip
08-02-2005, 11:19 AM
I am considering running a PRO or House event to find a Ki-Lin.

The last response from GS staff on the Official BBS regarding their appearance was 'it takes combination of circumstances' for one to generate.

I've tried in the past with various combos of professions and races with no luck.

Has anyone seen one, and if so can you remember if you were in a group, their races and professions, spells being cast, etc.?

I may throw a Commune into the mix this time just to stir things up. :D

Thanks,
Askip

The Ponzzz
08-02-2005, 11:26 AM
The few times I have seen one, it was when I was a warrior, in voln hunting with a wizard in the col... But the monks summon them... I have seen the little intro to them coming in... Not sure if professions are what make them come into the area. Hasta do with the monks and liches...

Showal
08-02-2005, 12:03 PM
what are these things?

The Ponzzz
08-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Evil unicorns...

Warriorbird
08-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Rare. Last I heard the GS3-GS4 shift removed one of the ways to summon them. It'd be neat if a GM put more effort into it. I've seen one twice. One of the times the group didn't even get the horn.

Showal
08-02-2005, 12:29 PM
what does the horn do?

Sean of the Thread
08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
My ipantor yumi has ki-lin horns on the ends.. :P

Fallen
08-02-2005, 01:38 PM
As far as I am aware, the horn itself does nothing. It sells for a good amount, and is considered the most rare "skin" in the game. Good for alters, but it would be pathetic if someone used one without actually getting a horn.

Sean of the Thread
08-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Fallen
As far as I am aware, the horn itself does nothing. It sells for a good amount, and is considered the most rare "skin" in the game. Good for alters, but it would be pathetic if someone used one without actually getting a horn.

The won't let you use it with out handing them over.

Sylvan Dreams
08-02-2005, 04:37 PM
The two times I've seen a ki-lin were both as a warrior. Both times were in the MC. I was solo hunting, if I had any spells on me it were mass spells, and I was in CoL.

The second time I saw one, I got the horn since I got the killing shot.

Sean of the Thread
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
What are the horns worth now days.. I don't know of any out there off the top of my head since I don't play hardly anymore.

Drew
08-02-2005, 04:41 PM
http://playershops.com/item_detail.pl?item=a%20ki-lin%20horn

Well Tamral is selling one for 2.5 mil.

I've always wanted to bag one myself.

Doyle Hargraves
Originally posted by Showal
what does the horn do?

Absolutely nothing.

The few times I remember seeing a ki-lin, I'm pretty sure I was running solo down there at least once or twice. I might have had someone with me one of those times, but I remember seeing one solo at least twice...once I just walked in on it (so that doesn't really count) and the other I saw it summoned. Ok once for sure.

I'm inclined to think that the circumstances are more based on the status of the monk rather than something like having 2 wizards, 1 warrior, a halfling and a dark elf jumping up and down singing We Are the Champions at 3:12 am during a full moon on the second Tuesday of the month.

Or it could just be based on an extremely high open roll on the monk's part, which would make it a random but still rare thing.

I'm sure Simu has the answer locked away deep inside a federal warehouse, next to the Ark of the Covenant. This is serious stuff, after all.

[Edited on 8-2-2005 by Doyle Hargraves]

Drew
Originally posted by Showal
what does the horn do?

You crush it into a fine powder and it increases sexual potency.

Sean of the Thread
08-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Drew
http://playershops.com/item_detail.pl?item=a%20ki-lin%20horn

Well Tamral is selling one for 2.5 mil.

I've always wanted to bag one myself.

Yeah they are quite the trophy.. I love rare shit. If there was more cool loot in GS I'd play more. I love random loot and loot hunting like back in diablo and even WoW. LOOT LOOT LOOT!

Doyle Hargraves
08-02-2005, 04:57 PM
If there was more cool loot in GS I'd play more.

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I remember anything rare and/or cool being found.

Anything even remotely cool (but still shitty compared to the stuff they used to make) these days comes off the shelf of some pay event.

I think if Simu pulled the stick out of their ass about releasing good items into the game through the treasure system, some people might start returning. A treasure system with nothing but vendor trash isn't fun or exciting.

It's extremely boring to go out on a hunt and already know that the only loot you might return with are gems, silvers, wands, scrolls, a shitty container, or a useless piece of fluff with a random description.

Latrinsorm
08-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I have found a good handful or two of quality fluff items after the semi-recent treasure upgrades. I reckon the thinking behind not releasing any laen claidhmores and whatnot is that releasing powerful combat items will raise the baseline, which nobody wants. The obvious solution to that would be breakage, but I'm pretty sure I'd have a tough time finding an appreciable number of people who were down with that.

08-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Why raise the base line though? What's that extra 20 AS really doing for you? You can unstun yourself 3x a day.. Is it REALLY that unbalancing? Wait.. Wait.. No.. It's that 15 extra DS you can generate in a hunting ground.. That must be it!

Give me a fucking break.

- Arkans

TheRoseLady
08-02-2005, 05:49 PM
I have had a few Ki-Lin horns but it's literally been years since I've seen one. The last was in monks with a cleric and 2 wizards.

Warriorbird
08-02-2005, 06:03 PM
You definitely get them near monks. There used to be theories about multiple monks and delimbing and such, but I expect it's more some rare trigger.

Doyle Hargraves
08-02-2005, 06:06 PM
quality fluff items

That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Plus, not all good items have to be combat related. Teleportation items are one example, and as long as limits are applied to the ones that are, I don't see them as unbalancing.

Like a falchion that when rubbed gives you X amount of crit weighting for Y amount of time or swings, and can't be activated again for Z hours, be it from the time it was activated or the time the effect wore off, to prevent possible abuse.

An example of a non combat item could be "a platinum ring". Not an uber rare drop, but not a common one either. It would work just like a gold ring, but work cross realms. It would also be navvable just like a gold ring or have some sort of cooldown on it, etc.

How would things like that be unbalancing?

I think Simu's biggest problem with itemization in GS is that they think every property on a good item has to be permanent or activated 24/7. Just like how everything else in GS is taken with an all-or-nothing approach.

Latrinsorm
08-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Doyle Hargraves
That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.Dressing up characters is definitely in my top 5 fun things to do in GS. :)

The rest of your post is reasonable though.

Makkah
08-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Last one I saw was circa 99 outside the north gates in an invasion. I remember skinning one with my like level 50 rogue with 0 First Aid and selling that fucker to the original Tsalin for like 2m. That was awesome.

The Ponzzz
08-03-2005, 08:59 AM
De limbing them won't work, they are spectres... When GS moved to the web, I was able to hunt there... So we are talking 1997 when I saw one... There were three monks in the room just before you went east and through the opening to the MC...

My buddy just confirmed where it was and how many monks were there. So perhaps more people in the area will increase the gen rates of liches and monks. I would say that's the best way to start testing... Get like 3 groups of 3 people and walk around...

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by The Ponzzz]

Askip
08-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the input folks.

:D

Stunseed
08-13-2005, 12:25 AM
*cough*

You remove a blackened shard of ki-lin horn from in your silk doublet.

*cough*

Doughboy
08-19-2005, 11:42 PM
tonight...

A Sheruvian monk gestures arcanely. Suddenly, a rift appears in the air in front of you! Snorting and stamping, a ki-lin thunders through the rift into the room!

moments later...

You pick up a ki-lin horn.

paladin, empath, cleric, wizard, rogue in the group

Drew
08-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Which room?

Askip
08-20-2005, 07:40 AM
I'd heard there is a trigger that makes them appear, but that could be an urban legend and they are just random.

Would you mind posting a log of the group's actions just prior to the ki-lin gen?

Thanks,
Askip

P.S. Currently it looks like 9/15 appx. 10:30PM Eastern for the hunt, hopefully with a group of Arcane Masters after our monthly meeting.

Burnt out Priestess
08-20-2005, 08:08 AM
I can post the log if Doughboy don't,i was with him.

Doughboy
08-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Go head and post up the log...I didnt keep one aside from those two snippets.

Askip
08-21-2005, 07:13 PM
<< You pick up a ki-lin horn. >>

BTW, good job.

:D

Doughboy
08-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Does that mean I won at gemstone without capping?

Sean of the Thread
08-21-2005, 11:39 PM
No you don't win gemstone until you cap a DE Sorc. Err...nevermind.

How much you want for the horn? I need one to alter a quiver or dagger to match my ki-lin supa bow.

Viridian
09-03-2005, 02:53 PM
If you can hunt the Sheru monastary, they can be quite frequent, the monks summon them.

The horn will turn red before they cast boil earth...I know, I've had it happen.

The horns sell at the furrier for about 2.5k a pop.

I see about 3 or 4 Ki-lin being summoned a week, so I have to say that yes, they are I guess sort of rare but not that rare.

Warriorbird
09-04-2005, 10:05 AM
If you sell them for 2.5k a pop then yes, you are insane.

ElanthianSiren
09-04-2005, 11:01 AM
I saw one when Kiera was about 45? under the old system.

Voln Master Warrior
travelling with a CoL master bard

(opposite sex characters if it matters)

-M

isebumples
09-04-2005, 02:58 PM
My old wizard killed and skinned two, in the misty chamber. They were both summoned by a monastic lich that wandered into the node. a cleric was there, and held the lich bound for nearly a half hour each time, then once it felt hopless, it summoned a ki-lin. This was years, and years ago though, might be completely different now.

-Bwomp's player