PDA

View Full Version : Patch 1.7 Hunter redesign

Numbers
07-29-2005, 11:49 PM
So, Blizzard posted the redesigned hunter talent trees. Beast Mastery and Survival receive a LOT of work.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/hunters/talents.html

This is the build I'm going to be aiming for:

Marksmanship: 20 points
Improved Concussive Shot 5/5
Efficiency 2/5
Lethal Shots 5/5
Aimed Shot 1/1
Barrage 2/2
Mortal Shots 5/5

Survival: 31 points
Humanoid Slaying 3/3
Deflection 2/5
Entrapment 5/5
Improved Wing Clip 5/5
Trap Efficiency 2/2
Deterrence 1/1
Trap Mastery 1/2 (may replace with Readiness)
Surefooted 3/3
Killer Instinct 3/3
Lightning Reflexes 5/5
Wyvern Sting 1/1

My concerns about this build... no Scatter Shot. This means that if a melee is able to engage me up close, I will have to absolutely rely on a wing clip proc. It also means I no longer have a way to interrupt spell casters. The loss of Hawk Eye is also a huge ouch.

My HUGE concern... Counterattack is no longer on the Survival tree. I don't know if this means it's now a skill that all hunters can learn, or if it's gone forever, but that was one of the most useful skills on the tree when combined with Deterrence. If it's gone, combined with the loss of Scatter Shot, I lose 2/3's of my up-close stoppage ability.

I also just realized that Wyvern Sting cannot be used in combat. This drastically reduces its effectiveness.

[Edited on 7-30-2005 by 3704558]

hectomaner
07-30-2005, 12:34 AM
did they release any info on 1.7? hopefully something like how they plan to fix the massively bugged warlock class?

Alfster
07-30-2005, 09:53 AM
That would be great if they fixed warlocks

hectomaner
07-30-2005, 01:21 PM
no kidding

Jadewolff
08-01-2005, 08:54 AM
I'd be happy if they fixed instances! Yesterday, walked into DM and some how ended up in SM!

As for warlocks, summoning within instances being broken sucks really bad.

Androidpk
08-01-2005, 09:47 AM
If it were up to me I would get rid of soul shards. Hunters don't need them to summon pets, and mages don't need them to cast spells, why should warlocks.

On a side note I would love for them to fix the rogues eviscerate attack.

SnatchWrangler
08-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Androidpk
If it were up to me I would get rid of soul shards. Hunters don't need them to summon pets, and mages don't need them to cast spells, why should warlocks.

Eh...but should warlocks be able to summon any/all the time without a shard?

I'd like them to fix a few things on rogues. For instance, a hunter can be running away from me with his back to me, yet the pet will be on aggressive and blindly charge me from 20 yds away and attack me while I'm stealthed.

Oh...and fix the damn bug where my poison is removed from my weapons every time I enter/exit a new area or log on/log off. Buffs don't get wiped like that, and we have to pay for our poisons just like shaman/warlocks/priests etc use a reagent for their buffs.

Jadewolff
08-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Androidpk

Actually, I think soul shards are good. Healthstones are awesome. Making them limitless is just too much. Shards are challenging to get at times but that's what makes them so valuable. I would prefer they make 'em stackable but that's just me.

As far as hunters and pets...I have a hunter too and it's a whole different worry when having to keep your pet happy. So though it may not take a shard to have a pet, you do have to worry about how many times it dies and the amount of food you have on you.

To be honest, I don't really care to compare classes the way people compare warlocks to mages and even hunters because of pets. Every class has it's place and if I wanted to play a mage and not worry about shards, I would have :grin:

P.S. The idea of shards, sucking the soul out of a creature, so pleases the ex-gs sorceress in me.

CrystalTears
08-01-2005, 11:31 AM
I would prefer they make 'em stackable but that's just me.

Oh that would be SUCH a great idea. Even if it's just bundles of 5, it would be so much nicer. I feel sorry for those warlocks who are also gatherers for their profession. Inventory hogging central.

hectomaner
08-01-2005, 01:56 PM
soul shards arent a big deal.

however, i think in WSG and AV, we should be able to summon without using a shard, especially since the stupid spawning with your last demon doesnt work right

Tsa`ah
08-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 3704558
My concerns about this build... no Scatter Shot. This means that if a melee is able to engage me up close, I will have to absolutely rely on a wing clip proc. It also means I no longer have a way to interrupt spell casters. The loss of Hawk Eye is also a huge ouch.

Let's not forget you have no precision option available in survival anymore, making wingclip harder to land against other agility whores.

Without really getting into the rest of your post, these changes were brought into play for the RP and Normal servers. Wyvern sting is just crowd control and is of no use if you get ambushed on a PvP server.

This re-vamp was an effort to improve the already lacking hunter class, the only thing it does is move around the areas we're lacking in.

Although there are some differences in beastmastery, pets are still where they have always been in regaurds to PvP ... almost useless. The only thing done to improve marksmanship is improved aspect of the hawk ... the rest was put into survival, which as we know has essentially gimped our escape methods.

Rogues are happy about this because it ensures the clean killing of hunters ... as are all melee classes.

The only use for wyvern sting will be crowd control in instances and if you happen to get the drop on a character of the opposite faction.

In mass PvP, traps are far more usefull as you can't count on someone of the same faction not disrupting the sting.

AnticorRifling
08-01-2005, 05:05 PM
How are pets useless in PvP? Maybe it's because I'm on the low end of the lvl scale but hunters suck because they are getting 2 attacks to my one with their damn pets.

DeV
08-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
How are pets useless in PvP? Maybe it's because I'm on the low end of the lvl scale but hunters suck because they are getting 2 attacks to my one with their damn pets. I think thats the bulk of it.

I honestly haven't fought a hunter that sucked just yet. And that possibly may be because I am on the low level end of the stick right now. I win duels against them much more efficiently now that I've gotten my frost spells and have a routine when fighting them, but their pets definitely give them an advantage in lower level PvP. Maybe its only at the lower levels that they can take advantage of it to the fullest which is a good thing for us non-hunters either way.

Artha
08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Hunters suck because if they're specced marksmanship, they've got shit to keep you away from them aside from normal kiting. If you're a mage and smart, I'd think hunters would be one of your easiest targets.

edit: And a pet's real purpose is to have more aggro than the hunter, and generally the damage isn't all that spectacular. As a paladin, I just ignore the pet and run after the hunter.

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by Artha]

Numbers
08-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Let's not forget you have no precision option available in survival anymore, making wingclip harder to land against other agility whores.

Precision is gone, but it looks like it was replaced by Surefooted, which adds 3% to hit chance. Not 5% like Precision was, but I think the 15% resist to snares that Surefooted gives makes up for that.

Although there are some differences in beastmastery, pets are still where they have always been in regaurds to PvP ... almost useless.

Pets are a good deal better, but only because of Intimidation and Bestial Wrath. But yeah, I agree that pets are useless in PvP, as they're too easily taken out of the equation by almost any class.

The only use for wyvern sting will be crowd control in instances and if you happen to get the drop on a character of the opposite faction.

Yeah, wyvern sting is garbage, even in instances. I just don't think that many hunters have realized it, as they're too giddy that we're getting something. The fact that it can only be used out of combat and has a 2-minute cooldown is ridiculous. Additionally, even at the higher ranks of the skill, the sleep still only lasts for 12 seconds. Way too unreliable to use in an instance, and if I were leading a raid, I wouldn't let hunters use it. 12 seconds is nothing. I'd rather have a warrior be forced to tank two things to better control his aggro than have something start charging the healers when it wakes up in 12 seconds.

I think the biggest loss in the revamp is having Counterattack taken away from us. That was one of my best escape methods, and the new Readiness talent is crap compared to it.

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by 3704558]

Tsa`ah
08-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by 3704558
Precision is gone, but it looks like it was replaced by Surefooted, which adds 3% to hit chance. Not 5% like Precision was, but I think the 15% resist to snares that Surefooted gives makes up for that.

If you can afford to spend 16 points in survival just to attain the first rank in it, 18 to max. What does that mean? No ranks in aspect of the monkey ... so there goes your dodging bump (in addition to losing what we gained throug maxing dodging under survival), It also means loss in aspect of the hawk ... or it means no trueshot aura, ranged mastery, and a choice of not maxing hawkey or losing scatter shot.

Yeah, wyvern sting is garbage, even in instances. I just don't think that many hunters have realized it, as they're too giddy that we're getting something. The fact that it can only be used out of combat and has a 2-minute cooldown is ridiculous. Additionally, even at the higher ranks of the skill, the sleep still only lasts for 12 seconds. Way too unreliable to use in an instance, and if I were leading a raid, I wouldn't let hunters use it. 12 seconds is nothing. I'd rather have a warrior be forced to tank two things to better control his aggro than have something start charging the healers when it wakes up in 12 seconds.

Pretty much, but you can't tell that to the rest of the hunters on any server, let alone pvp servers.

I think the biggest loss in the revamp is having Counterattack taken away from us. That was one of my best escape methods, and the new Readiness talent is crap compared to it.

I never used counter attack, but my biggest complaint has been with them taking things away and adding things that aren't even an improvement. With pets still being useless at higher levels (a liability in the upper instance runs and a minor annoyance in pvp) they still didn't give anyone a reason to train in beastmastery past monkey and hawk. They moved spirit bond up one notch and improved mend pet ... but still nothing there that would make pets effective in pvp, let alone justify dragging them through an instance full time.

But anyone happy with the new build options haven't considered what it will take to be survivable even in 1 on 1 pvp. The loss of almost all beastmastery utility, or losing higher branches of marksmanship.

We were just given a new set of shortcomings, there were no improvements.

[Edited on 8-2-2005 by Tsa`ah]

Tsa`ah
08-02-2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
How are pets useless in PvP? Maybe it's because I'm on the low end of the lvl scale but hunters suck because they are getting 2 attacks to my one with their damn pets.

At higher levels there are all sorts of ways to neutralize a pet.

Warriors can just ignore them.
Mages can freez
Many classes can fear
So long as it's not on aggressive, a rogue can get by them, and in Alorg's case ... sneeze at the 200-400 damage they do before they poof because it's master is dead.

At lower levels they are more effective in PvP because the armor and health points just aren't that high ... and there are fewer ways to neutralize them.

Originally posted by Artha
Hunters suck because if they're specced marksmanship, they've got shit to keep you away from them aside from normal kiting. If you're a mage and smart, I'd think hunters would be one of your easiest targets.

Not true at all. I'm currently speced in a way that makes it hard to take me down in PvP ... and I'm ranged speced.

Scattershot, wingclip, toss up monkey, feign/trap. I can easily get to kiting distance if I react fast enough. Without buffs I'm sitting on about 4k in health, with dodging and monkey up ... it's damned hard to keep me incapacitated for the entire duration of the melee. I just need to get one scatter shot off, use my trinket to shake any slowing effects, and run through my target with wingclip (melee user), or feign and drop an ice trap to gain distance (caster) ... from there it's just working the kite so long as the terrain is forgiving enough for it.

With the loss of dodge and precision ... that ability is taken away. Which isn't surpising since hunters possess the only combat ability that doesn't work in PvP ... disengage.

edit: And a pet's real purpose is to have more aggro than the hunter, and generally the damage isn't all that spectacular. As a paladin, I just ignore the pet and run after the hunter.

Every class by now ignores the pet. Unless you're completely lacking in stamina, the pet's 200-400 damage isn't going to make a difference.

A pet's purpose is to act as a tank, it has no use in PvP outside of minute dps. Most often a pet is a detriment unless it's on passive ... which mine always is unless it's aiding in AOE efforts or on rogue patrol in WSG.

SnatchWrangler
08-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
Warriors can just ignore them.
Mages can freez
Many classes can fear
So long as it's not on aggressive, a rogue can get by them, and in Alorg's case ... sneeze at the 200-400 damage they do before they poof because it's master is dead.

I ignore them, but don't get me wrong, they're a pain. Them randomly pulling me out of stealth is a HUGE hindrance in PvP.

I also want to reiterate what I stated above, as it fucking happened last night again.

In our base in CTF. I kill a mage who grabs our flag. Yoroole is there (now a really well geared NE hunter that I used to bitch slap when he ran around in his "gank squad" with a couple others) so I turn around and go for him. Miss, Dodge, Dodge, Miss, Dodge, Parry, Dodge. He's now laughing at me and waving as I whittle awhile at his health bar. Not really sure why he stood their and died, but whatever. Three dodged Sinister Strikes in a row is a fucking joke. Rogues 'might' get lucky with a sequence like that when the use evasion. But that's once ever 5 minutes for 15 seconds, and my armor is currently a whopping 1522. (With the full blue PvP set, and some really good trinkets, rings, neck/cloak, etc.)

Parkbandit
08-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Rogues are happy about this because it ensures the clean killing of hunters ... as are all melee classes.
[/quote]

To be honest, I would rather hunters get improved. I think they need something from the pet like wingclip or ankle bite that slows or stuns their opponent. Right now, they are the weakest PvP class and this patch didn't help them get better in my opinion.

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 09:16 AM
They need to fix the Hunter's pet bug where if it's sent after you prior to stealthing it will track you down regardless of how many levels above them you are when you do eventually stealth.

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

To be honest, I would rather hunters get improved. I think they need something from the pet like wingclip or ankle bite that slows or stuns their opponent. Right now, they are the weakest PvP class and this patch didn't help them get better in my opinion. [/quote]

They're the strongest PvE class. I think sucking ass at PvP is a decent trade off for having an easy time through the game and in instances/raids.

Parkbandit
08-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue

To be honest, I would rather hunters get improved. I think they need something from the pet like wingclip or ankle bite that slows or stuns their opponent. Right now, they are the weakest PvP class and this patch didn't help them get better in my opinion.

They're the strongest PvE class. I think sucking ass at PvP is a decent trade off for having an easy time through the game and in instances/raids.

They are certainly easy to play against computer mob and I love it when they are in my party because it's like having 6 there instead of 5... but they have such glaring weaknesses in PvP.. it wouldn't be worth the tradeoff for me to play.

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Well, to me, it's sort of like saying "give paladins uber damage dealing powers" because they clearly lack them, without taking into consideration the fact that they are the most durable of classes.

The way I see it is that certain classes are better for certain servers. Rogues suck for PvE and RP servers. They're useless enough for high end raids and instances without having to worry about duelling instead of PvPing. Hunters have this problem in reverse.

Parkbandit
08-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Well, to me, it's sort of like saying "give paladins uber damage dealing powers" because they clearly lack them, without taking into consideration the fact that they are the most durable of classes.

The way I see it is that certain classes are better for certain servers. Rogues suck for PvE and RP servers. They're useless enough for high end raids and instances without having to worry about duelling instead of PvPing. Hunters have this problem in reverse.

I completely disagree. I've had a pretty easy time getting Stabbed to level 53. I can stealth through tons of mob to get to the main boss.. I can take on 2 guys at the same time.. I can stealth in, sap whoever is guarding the quest "treasure" and pick it up. In instances, who doesn't like a rogue there to sap one less mob to deal with at once.. pick the locked boxes and doors.. deal the incredible damage, while also being able to not pick up the aggro?

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Wait til you're 60 and you will find out how useless rogues are for things like AV, MC etc. Sap becomes useless for most instances as most your targets (Like in MC) are none humanoids. You/we lack the armor or hp to take any damage in there as it only takes one hit from Lucifron to die. Solo play as a rogue is great. There's no single class that is less useful to a group than a rogue however.

Jadewolff
08-02-2005, 10:47 AM
You know, there is something to be said about the reputation of a class as well. I've worked with good rogues that I would love to have in a 5 man scholo/strat with me. But more than that, I've worked with rogues that don't know how best to compliment a group. Rogues that pull too much aggro or don't help out where they can be used most. I can't speak for MC much, but a good rogue on a 5, 10, or 15 man group for scholo/strat/ubrs is a great thing to have.

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 10:49 AM
The smaller raids are generally where a rogue is always welcome. The two rogue limit in MC, Onyxia and that new, even harder dungeon (whose name I forget), stands though for most good guilds.

Izalude
08-02-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you, in saying that hunters are the weakest PvP class. I think it's the people that Play the hunter that give the class the reputation for being weak. A good hunter can win just about any fight, including duels provided it's just one on one.

Now... When it comes to large-scale battles, like treanch warfare in Hillsbrad or Alterac Valley, or sometimes even Warsong Gulch, hunters excel! Night Elf hunters can set up an ambush by shadowmelding, and popping someone with an aimed shot from 39 yards away. And if that aimed shot crits... There's 1700-2100 damage. As long as they're not in über stamina PvP, warrior, or Molten Core gear, you're target it pretty much dead. I love popping casters with that shot, just imagining the "WTF?!" they make because they had 2/3 of their health before I fired.

Good Hunters excel against warlocks, warriors (without reapers or obsidian edged blades), druids, and rogues. I love it when a druid tries to take bear or cat form against me... Wing clip, + scare beast = dead druid.

The hunter class is not without it's weaknesses though... Shamans, Mages, and Shadow Priests usually kill hunters without breaking a sweat. Mages sheep you, unleash an alphastrike on you... and you die. Your only hope is to do enough damage to kill him before he kills you.

Shamans you have to kite, and *hope* he's a PvP flounder. He can cure your mana drain stings easily with a totem, and he can heal himself. They're almost like pure casters wearing mail that melee better than paladins... Very difficult fight.

And lastly shadow priests... My tactic is to keep Viper Sting on them at all times. A good Priest is going to have a large mana pool, so the key here is to kite them. I turn on Cheetah Speed and keep stinging them with Viper. Their Mind Flay has a short range so I can easily do my jump-shoot-spin tactic and keep running in the same direction away from them. I also shoot them with Concussive shot as well, to help keep their distance under control. Once their mana is gone, I go to town on them. I continue to use viper sting to keep their mana from regenerating enough to get a heal on themselves. The only real downside to this that some priests get overzealous with abolish poison. In that case, I use a low-level viper sting and let them spend their own mana incessantly curing themselves. It's a very long fight... but it's the only thing that works well, so far for me.

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Heh, its different on PvP servers. I'll say I've never been bested by a hunter. A random death maybe. But nothing they've ever lived to boast about. The ranged are the worst though. The kiting, stun shot, freeze trap, wing clip bastards piss me off to no end. But all it takes is a sprint, some crippling poison and a five point kidney shot to kill him.

[Edited on 2-8-05 by StrayRogue]

Izalude
08-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Side from getting ambushed while hunting, rampant corpse camping, and being in 1 on 1 combat all day in PvP servers, what else is differant? Unless the mechanics are completely differant. The tactics work both ways...

My answer to rogues:
http://www.thottbot.com/?i=26827

Best anti-rogue armor ever. It procs often giving you an invulnerable shield for 10 seconds alot more often than the listed 5%... While the shield is up, drop a freezing trap with feign death, gain some distance... Dead rogue soon to follow. As long as it's one rogue, I'll win 4 out of 5 times. If it's 2... well then, Unless they REALLY suck, I lose... And even then, they'll probably kill me.

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Well, proc's don't work on percentage base. Secondly you can't swap out armor on PvP servers during combat. So unless you're running around in that...

A decent rogue will always keep Detect Traps up as well. And even then he only has to hit you once to stop you from running off. Crippling Poison is the bane of all kiters. Plus a simple sprint, a kidney shot and you're back to square one.

Edited to add, that that armor isn't a normal Proc, so yeah it probably would work.

[Edited on 2-8-05 by StrayRogue]

08-02-2005, 11:11 AM
:lol:

Anyone that falls for feign death needs to quit WoW.

Regardless, my shaman makes any hunter his bitch.

I was at 11% health. Hunter ambushes me. I casually heal up, poison cleansing totem, WTFPWN.. ROFLOL go on questing.

- Arkans

SnatchWrangler
08-02-2005, 11:13 AM

Why do they need another snare via a pet? They can already daze you. Concussive shot is a snare from a distance.

And hunters are GREAT at mass PvP. It's only in 1v1 they are lacking. Check the scoreboards of WSG or AV. It's not rare you'll see a hunter with something like 65 killing blows and 4 deaths in AV.

Rogues are pretty useless in the mass PvP setting that is Alterac Valley.

[Edited on 8-2-2005 by SnatchWrangler]

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by SnatchWrangler
And hunters are GREAT at mass PvP. It's only in 1v1 they are lacking. Check the scoreboards of WSG or AV. It's not rare you'll see a hunter with something like 65 killing blows and 4 deaths in AV.

Rogues are pretty useless in the mass PvP setting that is Alterac Valley.

My thoughts exactly.

08-02-2005, 11:17 AM
I remember when we were trying to head into the attunement area and go ambushed by that group of Alliance. The hunter was a fucking pain in the ass and was the reason why I couldn't tank the warrior. If that hunter was alone, I would have eaten him.

- Arkans

Izalude
08-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Arkans

I was at 11% health. Hunter ambushes me. I casually heal up, poison cleansing totem, WTFPWN.. ROFLOL go on questing.

- Arkans

It's not about 'falling for it' and believing that the hunter is dead with feign death... Feign death takes you out of combat, giving you time to drop a trap. (which can only be used out of combat) This is a great tactic against melee classes, but kinda useless for any casting class, other than druids. Unless you're meleeing as your shaman for most of the fight, then this tactic would be ineffective against you.

StrayRogue
08-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately Feign Death doesn't remove combo points.

08-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I guess that's why I never understood the point of feign death. I do very little if any ranged combat. Windfury + shocks + totems = DPS goodness, so when I see a hunter feign, I just earth shock.

- Arkans

Izalude
08-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately Feign Death doesn't remove combo points.

True, but if you try to use any combo points on me when my shield procs, you lose 'em! And since I'll be immune to any sinister strikes and such, you can't build any more until the shield drops.

Izalude
08-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I guess that's why I never understood the point of feign death. I do very little if any ranged combat. Windfury + shocks + totems = DPS goodness, so when I see a hunter feign, I just earth shock.

- Arkans

Well, if that's your tactic, then the FD+trap tactic would work on you... The only thing that'd save you is if you dropped a poison clensing totem and kept in range of it... Otherwise you're mana is going to vanish quickly via viper sting. Even still, shamans are the bane of a hunter's existence. If I try and kite you, and instead of meleeing, you back off and start nuking me with spells, I lose.

Shamans do killer damage, and can heal themselves. They're the only class that doesn't have subpar DPS that can heal!

08-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Even without the totems it's not too bad. It's hard for me because I play with a laptop and no mouse.. Just use that silly little pad, so it's sometimes hard for me to point and click. Best way if I find it hard to stay in range of totems is just cast cure poison/disease. Instant and no cool down, plus cheap as hell.

The only real things that kill Shaman is anything that can survive a while (Paladin and Priests) due to the fact that we are the most mana inefficient class ever known.

- Arkans

SnatchWrangler
08-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Izalude
It's not about 'falling for it' and believing that the hunter is dead with feign death... Feign death takes you out of combat, giving you time to drop a trap. (which can only be used out of combat) This is a great tactic against melee classes, but kinda useless for any casting class, other than druids. Unless you're meleeing as your shaman for most of the fight, then this tactic would be ineffective against you.

Frankly, you shouldn't be able to feign death when you're at more than 40% health just so you can get out of combat to lay a trap. How stoopid do j00 think I R?!!

Parkbandit
08-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Even without the totems it's not too bad. It's hard for me because I play with a laptop and no mouse.. Just use that silly little pad, so it's sometimes hard for me to point and click. Best way if I find it hard to stay in range of totems is just cast cure poison/disease. Instant and no cool down, plus cheap as hell.

The only real things that kill Shaman is anything that can survive a while (Paladin and Priests) due to the fact that we are the most mana inefficient class ever known.

- Arkans

Just the opposite with me. I can outlast any paladin.. in fact, I like seeing them as Bayne. And Priests are nothing without their shield, which we can easily purge.

The ones that give me the most trouble are rogues and mages. Their super high dps and ability to get out of trouble (vanish and sheep) drive me insane.

Izalude
08-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Shamans are mage killers... Grounding totem effect = immunity to any arcane mage's insta-sheep ability. Earth shock interrupts any of their spells, as all but fire blast and cone of cold are channeled, or have a prep time.

The hardest for a shaman I'd guess would be a fire mage... But all you have to do to stop them is catch them with earth shock while they're prepping their fire ball, or Pyroblast. Their scorch tactic is now interrupted, which is why most of these mages are so deadly. Once you break their cycle, you have the upper hand, and can usually finish the fight before he works on a contingency plan.

08-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Shamans are mage killers... Grounding totem effect = immunity to any arcane mage's insta-sheep ability.

Earth shock interrupts any of their spells, as all but fire blast and cone of cold are channeled, or have a prep time.

Mage's insta-sheep ability ignores a grounding totem. Earth shock has a 6 second cooldown.

Izalude
08-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Does it? I got a few "Immune" messages when I tried to instasheep a few shamans that had totems up. I just assumed it was the grounding totem in effect.

08-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Does it? I got a few "Immune" messages when I tried to instasheep a few shamans that had totems up. I just assumed it was the grounding totem in effect.

Oh, in that sense you are probably right. That sounds like the messaging I get when I try to purge a shaman while dueling. It's possible I just haven't noticed the few times the grounding totem stopped the poly.

But a grounding totem has around a 15 second cooldown, and only has 5 health. All a mage has to do is throw any offensive level 1 spell at me (it will get redirected automatically to the totem, so you don't even have to target it), and the totem is dead.

In my experience, mages are throwing so many spells that the totems are gone as soon as they hit the ground.

08-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Anyone know when this new patch is supposed to be applied? I want to know if I have a download to look forward to. :mad:

Hips
08-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Don't know... the patch today was small.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.6.1 (2005-08-02)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General
- Spell casting is no longer interrupted when leaving combat.

Warriors
- Improved Shield Block - Fixed a bug where Rank 3 of the talent was
not granting the extra block.
- Bloodthirst - Damage bonus increased to 40% of attack power.

Items
- The Oil of Immolation effect is no longer affected by bonuses to
spell damage from items.

Raids & Dungeons
- Blackwing Lair
Several encounters in Blackwing Lair now cause the front gate to
close, preventing players from zoning out or joining an in-progress
battle.
The Razorgore encounter has been changed slightly to make it less
"random". The spawning should be more consistent throughout the
fight.
The timer for Vaelastrasz the Corrupt is now more persistent. You
can no longer reset the one-hour time limit for beating him by
leaving the instance. Also, Vaelastrasz the Corrupt will not respawn
for 12 hours if he has not been beaten when the timer expires.
The drakes in Blackwing Lair will no longer leave the lab.
- Maraudon
Lowered experience values for Creeping Sludge.

Macs
- Increased the maximum number of sounds which can be played
simultaneously. This will fix problems where some sounds could be
dropped in very busy situations.
- Fixed WoW Error Reporter so that it doesn't crash under Mac OS X
10.4 when trying to send an error report.
- Worked around an issue where you would lose your Expose/Dashboard
preferences if you crashed or asserted while in fullscreen mode on
Mac OS X 10.4.
- Fixed the "blockWidth", "srec", and "bitnum < m_numBits" assertions
bugs that would crash the game.
- Fixed a bug involving corpses near the player that could result in a
crash ("BusError").

Hulkein
08-02-2005, 01:58 PM

- Arkans

I want a duel tonite :)

His thing about feign wasn't to trick the guy, it was to get out of combat to drop a trap.

08-02-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm gonna slap you so hard that people will be like.. "WTF DID SOMEONE JUST HOT IRON YOU WITH A HAND PRINT" for a week.

What's gonna happen tonight?

Look at the guy in my avatar.

YOU GONNA GET RAPED!

- Arkans

Parkbandit
08-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Shamans are mage killers... Grounding totem effect = immunity to any arcane mage's insta-sheep ability. Earth shock interrupts any of their spells, as all but fire blast and cone of cold are channeled, or have a prep time.

The hardest for a shaman I'd guess would be a fire mage... But all you have to do to stop them is catch them with earth shock while they're prepping their fire ball, or Pyroblast. Their scorch tactic is now interrupted, which is why most of these mages are so deadly. Once you break their cycle, you have the upper hand, and can usually finish the fight before he works on a contingency plan.

Problem is.. earthshock takes 6 seconds while fire blasts take 1.5 seconds. Also, there is a slight cooldown on the grounding totems.

I was completely fucking pwnificated by some mage while we dueled, waiting for WSG to open. Absolutely kicked my ass. He ended up sheeping me.. bandaging himself up.. laughing at me and then killing me.

I still cry from that night...

Shari
08-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Is there a patch link for this yet? I cannot fathom how long this will take to download through WoW on dialup. :(

Nieninque
08-03-2005, 02:55 AM
www.fileplanet.com

Shari
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
i r dum

I was actually looking for the patch link to the newest download of 1.6.1 or whatever the hell it is.

I got it though so it's all good...after two and a half hours of downloading.

Parkbandit
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Welcome back to WoW Jesae!

Shari
08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I've been back ya nut.

Been playing for what...a month and a half now?

Jesae is now 39, and I have a mage who is 16.

So you can start sending all your worthless greens to me now to disenchant. :D

and Wezas can send me my palomino pony via mail anytime now...