PDA

View Full Version : Kazaas bullshit

Solkern
09-30-2003, 03:12 AM
of kazaa
I uninstalled kazaa two days ago, and I let my computer sit on for one day, I ran ad-ware and it found nothing
I downloaded kazaa again, and let my computer sit for a day with kazaa running
Then I ran Ad-ware...and it found 693 spyware on my computer...what a load of bullshit,
Anyone know of any programs like kazaa that doesn't give you spyware??

More Lean
09-30-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Solkern
of kazaa
I uninstalled kazaa two days ago, and I let my computer sit on for one day, I ran ad-ware and it found nothing
Then I ran Ad-ware...and it found 693 spyware on my computer...what a load of bullshit,

grokster

www.grokster.com

HappyGuyJr
09-30-2003, 05:55 AM
use Kazaa-Lite... no bullshit, no adware

http://www.kazaalite.tk/

Halfsilver
09-30-2003, 07:47 AM
I've found that I can find alot of stuff that I want on different IRC networks. Songs, whole cds, movies, shows, games, etc.

Takes a little bit more effort than kazaa or the like...but it works.

-grays/d

ps. Just try IRCSPY.com if ya didn't already.

[Edited on 9-30-2003 by Halfsilver]

Betheny
09-30-2003, 08:35 AM
I wish I could download, but my computer freezes for some reason when I do.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Do you not associate file sharing with piracy? I'm curious because I work for Time Warner.

Would you walk out of a store with a CD on the premise that you want to 'try before you buy?' Morally and ethically, I think its wrong. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the recording industry suing folks. Some of the people literally had TENS of thousands of songs. That is theft, clearly.

I would NOT be adverse to a pay per MP3 type site, that hosted 160+ bit perfect rips, at like a quarter or fifty cents a song. Personally, I think that would be ideal and let folks get quality MP3's at a reasonable price, without the need to buy an album full of songs you may or may not like.

Thoughts?

More Lean
09-30-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
Do you not associate file sharing with piracy? I'm curious because I work for Time Warner.

Would you walk out of a store with a CD on the premise that you want to 'try before you buy?' Morally and ethically, I think its wrong. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the recording industry suing folks. Some of the people literally had TENS of thousands of songs. That is theft, clearly.

I would NOT be adverse to a pay per MP3 type site, that hosted 160+ bit perfect rips, at like a quarter or fifty cents a song. Personally, I think that would be ideal and let folks get quality MP3's at a reasonable price, without the need to buy an album full of songs you may or may not like.

Thoughts?

i pirate everything

imported_Kranar
09-30-2003, 09:09 AM
KaZaa lite.

It's exactly KaZaa without the fake files, without the ads, without the spyware, and without the download or search restrictions.

Just enter what you're looking for, and 1000s of searches will be made.

Weedmage Princess
09-30-2003, 09:19 AM
There's also Diet-K which you can run..that acts like a filter for ads and spyware.

I heard Napster will be resurfacing, as a pay-program which you pay a set fee a month and can download whatever you want. I do plan on joining that if and when it comes out.

More Lean
09-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
There's also Diet-K which you can run..that acts like a filter for ads and spyware.

I heard Napster will be resurfacing, as a pay-program which you pay a set fee a month and can download whatever you want. I do plan on joining that if and when it comes out.

why pay? you can get it for free.

Drew2
09-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Because paying for it is legal.

Piracy is not.

More Lean
09-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Tayre

Piracy is not.

why does it matter? it doesnt bother me.

Jenisi
09-30-2003, 09:56 AM
www.listen.com

Solkern
09-30-2003, 01:47 PM
No i have kazaa lite it has adware

draconis nematoda
09-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Kazaa, Grokster, et al are all guilty of foistware/spyware.

Try WinMX
http://www.winmx.com/

imported_Kranar
09-30-2003, 03:12 PM
<< No i have kazaa lite it has adware >>

KaZaa lite has no adware or spyware.

It's a KaZaa hack, not even made by the guys who make KaZaa, and it's sole purpose is to allow members to use the KaZaa network without the adware or spyware.

Artha
09-30-2003, 05:17 PM
I don't care about the record companies. Bands see little if any of CD proceeds, therefore, I will not support the record companies, but the bands. Maybe when CDs are actually affordable, but not until then.

imported_Kranar
09-30-2003, 05:36 PM
I do it because it's easier.

I have no moral justification for it to be honest, it's just I want to listen to a song, and the fact that it's exactly 4 clicks away is pretty hard to sway myself from.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Artha
I don't care about the record companies. Bands see little if any of CD proceeds, therefore, I will not support the record companies, but the bands. Maybe when CDs are actually affordable, but not until then.

10-20 bucks a CD isn't affordable? I'm amazed at what little moral fiber you have. Stealing is stealing. Don't justify it with bullshit about how its not affordable. I can't afford a new corvette, so I should go steal it?

At what point do you say, oh, this is bad -- someone worked hard for it and I shouldn't steal.

Ilvane
09-30-2003, 09:47 PM
Out of the money that the groups make on the CD sales, 2 dollars of it goes to the artist. The rest all goes to the marketing geniuses and the record companies.

If you want to give the performers money, go see a concert.;)

I personally used to download one or two songs from a CD and if I liked it, I would buy it. Now I just won't buy many unless they are seriously on sale. I just can't see buying a CD for almost 20 dollars and not liking it.

I think the record industry is going to wind up losing more business than gaining now adays.

-A

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by Ilvane]

GSLeloo
09-30-2003, 09:56 PM
I think I mentioned this before, but the threat the music industries are going for is if they catch you they charge you with $150,000 for each song on your computer (Newsweek September 22, 2003).

Skirmisher
09-30-2003, 10:10 PM
I do download songs from time to time off Limewire but the vast majority of my music collection both on cd and stored on my HD are from CD's that I have bought.

I have over 200 cd's in one room alone and I have cd's in three locations including four i bought in the last week alone, so I am not feeling any guilt at all over those I do download.

GSLeloo
09-30-2003, 10:16 PM
They're just trying to scare us. They went after one girl that was basically from a poor family and they settled out of court for a couple thousand dollars. But the thing is, if you go into court they are coming at you with 150k per song and it's a scary thing to go against. Some people add up to billions of dollars.

Back
09-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Solkern
of kazaa
Then I ran Ad-ware...and it found 693 spyware on my computer...what a loa
d of bullshit,

Buy a Mac?

Back
09-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Tayre

Piracy is not.

I agree with this to a point. If it's a band like U2, sure, pirate. Then again, when they started out, they could have used the revenue.

I support the bands I like with cash money. Even if I get a track of theirs for free.

SUPPORT YOUR BANDS!@

Edaarin
09-30-2003, 10:25 PM
The $150k fine isn't for something like stealing a CD. It's for copyright infringement.

GSLeloo
09-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Still, 150k per song is a lot. I mean, some people don't have 3k to spare, how do they have 150k per song if they had say 50 songs?

GSLeloo
09-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Actually I read in the article how they get you. And as long as you unshare your files they technically can't get you because the way it works, they get you when someone uploads from you.

draconis nematoda
10-01-2003, 12:05 AM
I still want to know when the big recording companies are going to start suing Public Libraries. They've been "sharing" music for years.

Ray

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by draconis nematoda]

Lord Deprav
10-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey Kranar maybe you may have some sort of advice for me. I have pop windows on almost every site I visit. Is there anyway to eliminate this? Kazaa has always been a bad one for me too.

Deprav

Edaarin
10-01-2003, 12:17 AM
Because that tape was for your own personal use. With KaZaA, they're saying that you're not only downloading music illegally, but you're also distributing it.

imported_Kranar
10-01-2003, 12:45 AM
<< Just as I can copy a song from someone off of Kazaa, I can copy a song off of the radio. >>

And it's not illegal to copy a song off the radio either.

It's covered via fair use laws, or more technically the Audio Home Recording Act of 92 allows for the recording of broadcasted music or video for personal use. Like taping your favorite T.V. show.

<< I'm sure there is some loophole, but intellectually it is the same to me. >>

The loop hole is that radio stations are authorized to play those songs. They are given permission, and are required by law to pay the record company every single time they play the song. Infact, it's actually illegal for the record company to pay the radio station to play/promote a song (this wasn't always the case).

With KaZaa/Napster, the people you're downloading from aren't authorized to give you the song and pay no royalties.

People confuse copyright infringement with theft, they aren't the same things or even remotely the same things. If you were stealing music, then the recording industry couldn't sue you for 150k per song, they'd have no grounds for doing so.

<< Is there anyway to eliminate this? >>

I use Pop-Up Stopper Pro. It's pretty smart about eliminating unwanted pop-ups. Like if a link is supposed to open in a new window, then it will let it open, but if it's just a pop-up coming out of nowhere, then it will block it.

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by Kranar]

Bestatte
10-01-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Lady Daina
Here's what I don't understand.

I remember sitting with the stereo, taping songs off of the radio. So how is it that radio stations are not liable for this 150k per song fine?

Just as I can copy a song from someone off of Kazaa, I can copy a song off of the radio. I'm sure there is some loophole, but intellectually it is the same to me.

Radios are licensed to play the songs recorded by the musicians. They also pay royalties to the bands' publisher and the Union, and -must- receive permission from the record company to play those songs on the air. Further, the right to play the music is paid for by adverising.

Kazaa does none of this. That's the difference.

StrayRogue
10-01-2003, 08:38 AM
As I know it, not read the entire thread as my time is short, almost any website can send and install spyware to your computer. I run adaware constantly and usually get one or two of the little shits.

Neildo
10-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Want to own songs/CDs legally without having to pay $20 a pop and not give to the greedy record industry? Just buy used CDs. :P

And with this talk about recording songs off the radio and comparing it to recording TV shows on VHS and the like.. it sparked up something I remembered. I heard it's illegal to record sports shows and the news. I don't know why, I just remember hearing it. Anyone know if it's true and if so, why?

And yeah, go ahead and download as many songs as you want, just don't distribute it. :P And 150k per song? That's friggin laughable when trying to target the little people. It's like the war on drugs. Go ahead and use those numbers on some company to get it back from, but heh, good luck getting 150k per song from the average joe. They're just wasting their time for an inevitable cause.

- N

Warriorbird
10-02-2003, 11:58 AM
The war on drugs.

Target marijuana heavily...
puss around on crack...
sic the FDA on anyone doing well with alternate medicine

Warriorbird
10-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Music wise? Use www.launch.com. Watch videos if yah don't wanna pay em.

Halfsilver
10-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Ran lavasofts ad-aware.

250 registry keys.
5 registry values.
15 files.

WTF is comet cursor?
I hate Kazaa!

-grays/d

StrayRogue
10-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Make sure Adaware and your Virus Protection software is up to date, and you shouldn't really have any problems.