PDA

View Full Version : Common Phrases

Lookkin
07-25-2005, 01:13 PM
This just happened in our monthly staff meeting..

My co-worker is constantly using words and phrases that are either totally out of context or just completely wrong. Her spelling is atrocious as well. She feels that using big words impresses – and I just look at her, smirk and shake my head. The one phrase she ALWAYS says wrong is “That’s a mute point”. It kills me, and I always respond to her by saying – “when is a point mute?” She just laughs – she’ll never get it. Another one is “irregardless” – like she just makes up new words.

Anyways, just seeing if you have any others like these out there?

07-25-2005, 01:14 PM
I love when people say, "I could care less"

Awesome, so you care a bit? Sweet, I win.

- Arkans

Miss X
07-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Haha, I hate the I could care less one too. I also hate people who say "I did that on accident" I mean wtf? You cant do something on accident, you did it BY accident!!

One thing that also bugs me too, is people who say "I resemble that remark" rather than "I resent that remark." There are a lot of people who confuse the two words and its fucking annoying.

[Edited on 25-7-05 by Miss X]

Jorddyn
07-25-2005, 01:35 PM
The "S:" drive at work is the shared drive. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard "Oh, I saved that on shareware".

My officemate uses the phrases "in luau of" and "each to his own". I've tried to explain to her...

Jorddyn

Tsunami
07-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Drives me nuts when peole say axe instead of ask.

Miss X
07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
OMG me too Tsunami! I also hate when people say "anythink" instead of "anything."

Janarth
07-25-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't scowl, I usually just laugh quietly to myself, but I find it somewhat annoying dealing with all these damn new york accents. You don't 'taulk' to people, you talk to them. His name isn't pauwl, its paul...

Jorddyn
07-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Janarth
I don't scowl, I usually just laugh quietly to myself, but I find it somewhat annoying dealing with all these damn new york accents. You don't 'taulk' to people, you talk to them. His name isn't pauwl, its paul...

And, here in Iowa, people "warsh" their cars. And say "We was going to..."

Jorddyn

El Burro
07-25-2005, 02:30 PM
A couple gems from my father-in-law:

"Nip it in the butt!"

"Hindsight is 100%"

Leetahkin
07-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Well, since this thread seems to also be about how people pronounce words, I have always been looked at funny when I say bagel.

Think of how you say fraggle (as in fraggle rock), that's the "a" sound I use. My whole family says it like that! Must be some Northern thing.

Oh, and guilty as charged about "I could care less". :whistle:

"I resemble that remark" - I picked that up from my now ex husband. It was always used as, "Hey, you're talking about (picking on) ME!" Luckily I don't use it often.

Showal
07-25-2005, 04:16 PM
I leave out the "g" sound sometimes at the end of words that end in "-ing" so I say things like "walkin" "talkin". Not because I'm gangsta or anything, I think it's because my dad's deaf and that's how he says it and I learned to speak from my parents. Luckily I didn't pick up all the other funny words my dad says, like "merstaydes" instead of mercedes. Shakeelee o'neal instead of shaquille o'neal. manny ram a rez instead of manny ramirez.

Everyone makes fun of me for the leaving out the g sound but i'm getting better at it.

Brattt8525
07-25-2005, 04:26 PM
My sister says snowmenomobile, cracks me up and she gets mad the only way she can say it the right way is to say it realllly slow.

Drew
07-25-2005, 04:59 PM
When in rome.

Drew
07-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Miss X
One thing that also bugs me too, is people who say "I resemble that remark" rather than "I resent that remark." There are a lot of people who confuse the two words and its fucking annoying.

Saying I resemble that remark/statement is supposed to be an ironic way of saying, "Hey you're insulting me too."

Person 1: Man she is such an airhead!

Person 2: Hey I resemble that statement! Nyuk nyuk.

If the person is saying it unironicly I imagine that would be pretty funny.

Miss X
07-25-2005, 05:04 PM
It may be an American thing, I have never heard anyone use it in that way here.

Skirmisher
07-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Those wacky yanks!

Ravenstorm
07-25-2005, 05:11 PM

It is. I've heard it used in that context.

Nucular. Nucular weapons.

If you can't say nuclear you shouldn't run for office. (And Dubya isn't the only one.)

Raven

Snapp
07-25-2005, 05:12 PM
People around here (like Scott) say "wooder" instead of "water." It makes me batty.

Artha
07-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Everyone makes fun of me for the leaving out the g sound but i'm getting better at it.
Just move to the American South, you'll fit right in.

Killer Kitten
07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Pittsburgh accents are the worst:
Worsh for wash.
Yins is the plural of 'you'.
Pop for soda. (This one drives me insane for some reason.)
Sousside for South Side.
Dauntaun for down town.
Jint Iggle for Giant Eagle.
Haas for house.
Maas for mouse.
Tack for tact.

Asha
07-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Not sure if you Americans will know what I mean here.
But when someone asks me.. '' Can I lend that ruler, please?''

Grrr . . it's 'borrow'.

Nieninque
07-26-2005, 08:19 AM

I use it that way. :whistle:

My little sister always gets sayings mixed up.

Talking about the witch
Cough it up it might be a goldfish
Obell (Elbow)
Haircups

(admittedly the last two she used to say when she was little so we made sure they stuck)

Nieninque
07-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
Not sure if you Americans will know what I mean here.
But when someone asks me.. '' Can I lend that ruler, please?''

Grrr . . it's 'borrow'.

And can you borrow me...

LEND.

Alfster
07-26-2005, 08:50 AM
I hate it when people say "pitcher" instead of "picture"

Leetahkin
07-26-2005, 08:53 AM
I say munster instead of monster. Always have.
I pronounce crick for creek
Umm, there's more I can't think of.

I'm glad I don't hear people mixing up borrow and lend. That'd drive me crazy.

El Burro
07-26-2005, 08:59 AM
hunerd instead of hundred

Asha
07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
And can you borrow me...

LEND. [/quote]

Have you really witnessed someone say that?

Terminator X
07-26-2005, 09:03 AM
I hate when newborns say, "Puh-sgetty."

Bastards :monkey:

CrystalTears
07-26-2005, 09:04 AM
A friend of mine mentioned this recently and now I notice it all the time...

When someone says "literally" and use it completely wrong.

"My head literally exploded when I heard the news."
"My boss literally hit the roof when he was yelled at by the customer."

I can't stand it.

Supposably. Even though it was mentioned by Joey in "Friends", people actually do say it that way.

Leetahkin
07-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Terminator X
I hate when newborns say, "Puh-sgetty."

Bastards :monkey:

Lol! My first name rhymes with Tonka when babies try to say it. They skip over the second syllable.

Oh, and I have heard adults say spaghetti as you have it above. :no:

Skeeter
07-26-2005, 09:10 AM
When people pronounce Salmon (Sal-Mon) The L is silent dammit.

Lookkin
07-26-2005, 09:22 AM
I have a good one -

"I've got..." Whenever I hear that it makes me wince. Jesus H - its either "I have" or "I got" but its never a combination.

Leetahkin
07-26-2005, 09:28 AM
My coworker says a lot: You might could call...
/scream

I'm fixin to (start dinner, or whatever)...
darn southerners. I guess "I'm getting ready to" is too winded for some :whistle:

People call and want a copy of a "cancelled check." It's a cashed check, not cancelled!

Asha
07-26-2005, 09:33 AM
It's not Shimmer-IN.
It's Shimmer-AIN.

God damn you NC.

Leetahkin
07-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I always said it Shimmer-rain
Then you jokingly said it on the phone one time Shimmer-In

It's your fault!

Asha
07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
It's not!
You, as an American pronounced it Shimmerin.
An English person would say ShimmerAIN every time.

Ok enough of this, we're trolling.

Alfster
07-26-2005, 09:37 AM
I do not allow GS talk on the telephone.

It always weirds me out for some reason

Leetahkin
07-26-2005, 09:39 AM
It's actually quite amusing, hearing how other people pronounce a name you have.

Drayal, don't you always say lee-talkin? for leetahkin
It's leetah-kin
Leetah is from an awesome graphic comic (?) series - Elfquest.

Asha
07-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Yeah , LEE-TAH-KIN = Leetahkin

I'm so British. :lol:

SayGoodbye
07-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Wait... How do you pronounce the "g" at the end of "ing" words?

I'm confused.. I tried saying WalkinG, TalkinG and SwimminG but I just sound stupid.

Isn't the G supposed to be silent? :?:

07-26-2005, 10:12 AM
GS talk on the phone creeps me out to no end. Half the words look cool in text, but sound completely ridiculous coming out of my mouth. Whenever GS talk starts I'm like, "Yeah.. mmhmm, right.. for sure" I find quick and awesome ways to change the topic. Don't know WHY it makes me feel weird.. Just does!

- Arkans

Skeeter
07-26-2005, 10:13 AM
when people say

A guy by the name of....

Just say the name, I don't need the filler. For some reason that phrase is like nails on a chalkboard

Latrinsorm
07-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Lookkin
I have a good one -

"I've got..." Whenever I hear that it makes me wince. Jesus H - its either "I have" or "I got" but its never a combination. Uh, why again? "I received a memo" and "I have received a memo" are both acceptable, aren't they? Why not got in the same context?

Celephais
07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I think he it has to do with tenses and stuff... "I have gotten a letter" would be fine (really I don't think it is fine but it'll illustrate), and "I have recieve a letter" is wrong.

(Edited to add I'm an idiot, re-read that and it made no sense... but i'm going to leave it in here anyway)

But I don't know nothing (heh heh) about english

[Edited on 7-26-2005 by Celephais]

CrystalTears
07-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Because you wouldn't say "I have got..". It's grammatically wrong.

I don't like shrug off statements like, "Don't worry about it" or "It doesn't matter" and the like. Well then why even bring up the story in the first place if you're going to leave me hanging when I ask about some of it?

Being told "whatever" makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I hate it hate it hate it.

Asha
07-26-2005, 01:13 PM
''Quick and awesome way to change the subject''
Made me laugh.

Lookkin
07-26-2005, 01:31 PM
[/quote]Uh, why again? "I received a memo" and "I have received a memo" are both acceptable, aren't they? Why not got in the same context? [/quote]

“I have got” is not proper because of redundancy. To have and to get are two verb forms indicating some type of possession (in this type of context). Here are two examples from emails I read lately..

“I have really got to implement a better process” – It should read “I really have to implement a better process”

“I haven’t got enough time to complete it” – It should read “I don’t have enough time to complete it”

I have zillions of examples of these..

Latrinsorm
07-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Isn't "to have" also used for some kind of tense/mood conjugation though?

Lookkin
07-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Isn't "to have" also used for some kind of tense/mood conjugation though?

I'm not exactly sure if you're saying that "to have" is incorrect or not? But I was trying to put "to have" or "to get" into a reference of possession. "to + verb" is just the present action of that verb - to eat, to fish, to swing, to have, to get.

Did that help? If not, put your example in a sentence.

I'm not the best at grammar, but grammar is to writing as logic is to math - if you know the rules its easier to follow (albeit all the exceptions.)

[Edited on 7-26-2005 by Lookkin]

Showal
07-26-2005, 04:22 PM
<<Wait... How do you pronounce the "g" at the end of "ing" words?

I'm confused.. I tried saying WalkinG, TalkinG and SwimminG but I just sound stupid.

Isn't the G supposed to be silent? >>

No it's not apparently! Or else I wouldn't have been made fun of!

I used to work at a restraunt with a lady who called potatoes "puh-day-does". It was pretty annoying.

I also can't stand when people are looking at an acronym and still say the letters wrong. A girl at work was looking at the acronym TDT (thermal death time) and said DDT through the entire presentation. It was annoying.

hectomaner
07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten
Pittsburgh accents are the worst:
Worsh for wash.
Yins is the plural of 'you'.
Pop for soda. (This one drives me insane for some reason.)
Sousside for South Side.
Dauntaun for down town.
Jint Iggle for Giant Eagle.
Haas for house.
Maas for mouse.
Tack for tact.

my dad was so happy when a Jint Iggle opened up in columbus. its sad that he will drive 70 min each way to go shopping. allthough it was nice, because it was the only way to get Iron City that far away from the Burgh

and anyone who says yins/yuns needs to die, which would include most Pittsburghians

HarmNone
07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I hate it when someone says "had went". You went. That's all you did. You went. Went is already past tense.

Celexei
07-26-2005, 04:57 PM
I don't believe that anyone can place themselves as the pinnacle of the English language and all of its correctness. I know I have many language faults, but I blame it on Missouri and the 18 years I spent growing up there. I'm not as bad as others though, hehe. My bestfriend and roomate is originally from Birmingham Alabama. You can imagine the slips we catch there!

Latrinsorm
07-26-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Lookkin
Did that help? If not, put your example in a sentence. Certainly! When I say "I have received" it's different from saying "I received". It does not mean I'm trying to simultaneously say "I have" and "I received". My question is why this is not acceptable with "I've got" and "I got". If anything, it sounds more wrong to me to say "I got to take a shower" than "I've got to take a shower" though sounding wrong to me is hardly reason to make a grammatical ruling, of course.
Originally posted by Showal
I also can't stand when people are looking at an acronym and still say the letters wrong. A girl at work was looking at the acronym TDT (thermal death time) and said DDT through the entire presentation. It was annoying.She might have dyslexia, you know.

Drew
07-26-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm a writer and generally try to use proper english so a lot of things bug me but one in paticular is when you ask people how they are doing and they say "good"...

soenchanting
07-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Liberry instead of library.

Oh and the whole suposebly thing makes me twitch every time I hear it. I know 3 people who say it all the time.

My boss (who has a PhD) also says mute point. Usually makes me snicker.

Actually I could go on and on. I live in New Orleans right now. Some of the worst accents I've ever heard. There's whole groups of people here I can barely understand. :?:

Lookkin
07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Latrinsorm
[quote][i]"I've got to take a shower" though sounding wrong to me is hardly reason to make a grammatical ruling, of course.[quote]

The proper way to say it would be - "I have to take a shower." Remove the "got". "Got" is the past tense of "get", so... you're not "getting" anything related to a shower. You have (meaning obliged to / must) to take a shower.

Tisket
07-26-2005, 06:29 PM
People that say ECKspecially instead of especially should be beat over the head with a dictionary until unconsious.