PDA

View Full Version : Dual Thrown Weapon Secondary

Celexei
07-24-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm startin to have GS withdrawl again :( So.... I started fumbling around with a rogue idea in my head whilst working. Would it be possible as a rogue (a class that i've played only a few times, mainly as archers) to dual-wield ohe's as well as fitting in throwing weapons skill and the rest of the basic fundamental skills such as armour and cman and all that fun stuff. I realize that this would cut into lockpicking stuff, but i've never really been all that fond of picking anywho's so that can all be thrown aside. As a pure 100% combatent i'm sure its easy to fit in all the skills to dual wield / ambush and such (overkill I know, but if that first swing misses....hey that second shots still there, plus i love dual wielding) without to much difficulty, but how hard would it be to 2x thrown weapons as well? If anyone has a plan similar to this or ideas or words of wisdom please share them.

Thanks Bunches!

Kitsun
07-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Dual Edged, Maxed CM, 55 MOC. 2x hiding.
Level 72:
50 Armor
148 Edged
148 Two Weapon Combat
148 Combat Maneuvers
55 MOC
148 Ambush
74 PT
148 Dodge
4 HP
27 Climb
27 Swim
148 Hide/Stalk
74 Perception

This was the template I kicked around for my rogue to go TWC. The only things missing are 2x Hurling and the 2x Perception.

You can dig up the points by ditching some MOC(5 or 30 ranks), CMAN(1.5x or 1x) or actually TWC(1.5 or 1x) skill. I'd personally probably kick CMAN back before TWC or MOC but thats just preference.

Some people advocate losing some TWC skill because the first strike tends to kill or stun, the second shot does cleanup.

What scared me away from hurling was the possibility of hurling away some expensive weapon if my script/macro screwed up putting it away.

Celexei
07-24-2005, 06:40 PM
true, I just figured I'd carry around a buncha Feras Daggers, at one point I had lockers full of them hehe

Renian
07-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Feras daggers don't seem to give as much of a kick as you'd think. It seems like Minor Shock.

Celexei
07-24-2005, 07:20 PM
really? I've seen some pretty sick feras shots, but then again I've never used them as a main weapon, nor would I with the character I'm trying to map, but I've seen some pretty good hamstring results and such with feras, 60+ on the flare damage.

Celexei
07-24-2005, 07:22 PM
and hopefully if perception was high enough... I could hit the eye with a toss anyway, making it alot easier than having to rely on the flare to do my damage. The flare makes out for a good stun most of the time in the least I do believe...but hell I could always just go with a returning throwing dagger...if I was GS rich...(laughing at myself) but yeah.

Back
07-24-2005, 07:34 PM
I say go for it. I loved the idea of mutants when I played. The one good thing about GSIV is that it opened up more possibilities for training. I had a TWC Ranger with full ambush and hiding, but only .5x spells. I had him going strong though almost to lvl 20.

I fixed my 34 bard to pick, but thats no biggie. Soulpieced did that way before I did.

Celexei
07-24-2005, 07:55 PM
I agree, I just think of wonderful things that I actually would like to roleplay, that may be a litttle different from the most, i'm sure that its all pretty much been done before, but not on a normal basis. Always nice to spice things up, roleplay is whats key anyway IMO.

Kitsun
07-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Dual feras daggers with multistrike is just plain sexy. Thats what my plan was aiming for.

Hurling goes through bolt DS though, so its a nice easy two shots with flares.

Celexei
07-24-2005, 08:06 PM
great minds think alike!

Apotheosis
07-24-2005, 09:57 PM
all I can say is that TWC sucks, only use it for RP style.. oh, and umm, my rogue retrained to a ohe/ambusher when we got the two fixskills in a row thingy.

Back
07-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Celexei
great minds think alike!

and fools seldom differ...

Nothing on you or this thread, just repeating what I’ve heard.

AnticorRifling
07-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Did I enchant a dwarven battle axe for you?

hectomaner
07-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Yswithe
all I can say is that TWC sucks, only use it for RP style.. oh, and umm, my rogue retrained to a ohe/ambusher when we got the two fixskills in a row thingy.

hmmm seems to work great for me, hurling 2 4x ice flaring handaxes in 4 seconds. i have absolutely NO problems with it at all

Anebriated
07-25-2005, 01:54 PM
all I can say is that TWC sucks, only use it for RP style..

One of the better rangers in the lands when I left was TWC. If the player is smart it is extremely effective. Wish I remembered the name of the ranger now...

[Edited on 7-25-2005 by Elrodin]

hectomaner
07-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Elrodin

all I can say is that TWC sucks, only use it for RP style..

One of the better rangers in the lands when I left was TWC. If the player is smart it is extremely effective. Wish I remembered the name of the ranger now...

[Edited on 7-25-2005 by Elrodin]

regyy?

Celexei
07-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Did I enchant a dwarven battle axe for you?

Yes indeed you did, right at the time I moved across country, If and when I get to come back (which may be a bit considering don't have the money for a computer at home etc.) I'll get it from ya. Its still greatly appreciated as well as all you've done for me Anti. ::muah::

Celexei
07-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner

Originally posted by Yswithe

hmmm seems to work great for me, hurling 2 4x ice flaring handaxes in 4 seconds. i have absolutely NO problems with it at all

What set up do you have going for TWC hurling? If ya don't mind me askin.

hectomaner
07-26-2005, 03:28 PM
(at level 21), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 146 46
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Combat Maneuvers...................| 142 42
Edged Weapons......................| 146 46
Thrown Weapons.....................| 146 46
Ambush.............................| 99 23
Physical Fitness...................| 142 42
Dodging............................| 142 42
Perception.........................| 169 69
Climbing...........................| 50 10

Celexei
07-26-2005, 03:31 PM
What class is that character?

Anebriated
07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
regyy?

That wasnt the one I was thinking of. He used to hunt pinefar I believe, Stunseed might remember his name. I know he was brought up in a few of our conversations about ranger trainings.

Celexei
07-26-2005, 03:40 PM
I set up a ranger for TWC once, I found it hard to snatch 1x spells and keep up on my physicalness though, Ideally that would be my favorite plan if I could be as physical still.

Drew
07-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Elrodin

regyy?

That wasnt the one I was thinking of. He used to hunt pinefar I believe, Stunseed might remember his name. I know he was brought up in a few of our conversations about ranger trainings.

Blizzrd?

hectomaner
07-26-2005, 04:49 PM

rogue.

i had the same setup on a level 53 rogue as well, only more like 2.4x dodge. but i fixskilled into archery because i wanted to pick up skinning. i had a lot of fun with my older twc rogue, and now with my younger one

Anebriated
07-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Wasn't blizzrd either. It was at least a year or so ago. The name will come to me eventually.

Celexei
07-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner

rogue.

i had the same setup on a level 53 rogue as well, only more like 2.4x dodge. but i fixskilled into archery because i wanted to pick up skinning. i had a lot of fun with my older twc rogue, and now with my younger one

Non-ambushing rogue? Not questioning as if that where strange, just a little different, but if you have the dodge and such to keep your back safe then why not.

hectomaner
07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
why is a rogue that doesnt ambush seem different? with the possiblility to 3x perception, they make amazing archers. only rangers come close, and thats only because of 613. i think rogues still overpower them as they can 3x perception and 3x dodge, making them great.

also, 68ish% redux helps out a ton too

[Edited on 7-26-2005 by hectomaner]

Celexei
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM
no doubt there, that sorta redux is something to be envious of

Stunseed
07-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Maygog was the Ranger in question . Was very talented, too.

Artha
07-26-2005, 06:06 PM
why is a rogue that doesnt ambush seem different? with the possiblility to 3x perception, they make amazing archers. only rangers come close, and thats only because of 613. i think rogues still overpower them as they can 3x perception and 3x dodge, making them great.

Lol. Rangers also have camo (which doesn't fall when you're sniping) and phoen's strength (which knocks off a second or two of RT). And mobiles, which I believe adds to dex and therefor to ranged AS.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-26-2005, 07:38 PM
I love mighty Mo

Mytmo (at level 33), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 170 70
Armor Use..........................| 170 70
Combat Maneuvers...................| 170 70
Edged Weapons......................| 170 70
Thrown Weapons.....................| 170 70
Physical Fitness...................| 170 70
Dodging............................| 170 70
Harness Power......................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 170 70
Climbing...........................| 25 5
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Mytmo, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Specialization I wspec1 5
Combat Mobility mobility 1
Surge of Strength surge 2
Parry Mastery pmastery 3

Think he swings 320ish and hurls 305ish, defends in the 270's I think with a 10x db cloak and some 4x chain. Once I get him back up to hauberk he'll use some 9x hauberk I have lockered.

Celexei
07-26-2005, 08:09 PM
DROOL....thats the plan right there, thats the one!!!! MUAHAHAH my idealogical rogue is possible then!, wait...no hideyness...hmm what would it take to fit in stalking and hiding as well as ambush? Other than that its perfect...its what I would want it to be with the maxed hiding and ambushing hehe. Guess can't get everything I want. How well does that plan work though? The AS you stated, but do you have any log shots by chance? Was curious to see. And again thanks much!

[Edited on 7-27-2005 by Celexei]

hectomaner
07-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Artha

Lol. Rangers also have camo (which doesn't fall when you're sniping) and phoen's strength (which knocks off a second or two of RT). And mobiles, which I believe adds to dex and therefor to ranged AS.

camo is for hiding right? hiding is over rated. 606 wont matter, surge of strength already takes AIMED firing time to 3 seconds, mobiles do not add to dex, nor ranged AS

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-27-2005, 12:42 AM
This was from another thread I posted in when he was 2 levels younger I think... also, he's a halfling so I'm not sure what weapon speed would be for someone else, and he has bravery and strength on here I believe.

And he's a warrior, not rogue.

With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a haon-hafted vultite balta into flight.
You throw a haon-hafted vultite balta at a frost giant!
AS: +300 vs DS: +100 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +18 = +249
... and hit for 70 points of damage!
Right arm ripped from socket at the elbow!

** Your vultite balta releases a spray of acid! **

... 25 points of damage!
Splash to the back of the hand causes the skin to smoke!
Momentum carries a haon-hafted vultite balta past a frost giant to land nearby.
With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a haon-hafted vultite balta into flight.
You throw a haon-hafted vultite balta at a frost giant!
AS: +300 vs DS: +98 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +98 = +331
... and hit for 135 points of damage!
Massive blow punches a hole through the frost giant's chest!
Momentum carries a haon-hafted vultite balta past a frost giant to land nearby.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

>rub my bandolier
rub my bandolier
You pull a vultite balta gracefully from your bandolier.
>You pull a vultite balta gracefully from your bandolier.
>aim head
hurl
You're now aiming at the head of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
>With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a haon-hafted vultite balta into flight.
You throw a haon-hafted vultite balta at an arctic titan!
AS: +300 vs DS: +105 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +63 = +294
... and hit for 103 points of damage!
Incredible blast shatters head into a red spray.
The arctic titan screams evilly one last time and goes still.
Momentum carries a haon-hafted vultite balta past an arctic titan to land nearby.
Roundtime: 4 sec.

hectomaner
07-27-2005, 12:44 AM
those bandoliers are so awesome. i love mine so much

Celexei
07-27-2005, 02:54 PM
i was quite a big fan of the one I got altered at the last Ebons, the ones that had the actions and such and would pull both weapons in one move out...just wish I had had a TWC at the time woulda been even cooler!

On another note, how often do you lose your hurling weapons? Do they stick as frequently as arrows etc?

hectomaner
07-27-2005, 04:34 PM
i was quite a big fan of the one I got altered at the last Ebons, the ones that had the actions and such and would pull both weapons in one move out...just wish I had had a TWC at the time woulda been even cooler!

On another note, how often do you lose your hurling weapons? Do they stick as frequently as arrows etc?

well, since the bandoliers were just released on the WD, i think you are talking about something else. you mean the weapon harnesses. they hold weapons. these bandoliers MAKE weapons. 4x and flaring, unlimited supply.

as to how often do i lose my weapons, 100% of the time. since mine dissolve in either 1 or 2 minutes anyway, and i can just pull another out, i just leave them. that and you can't pick them back up off the ground, they just disolve

Celexei
07-27-2005, 07:00 PM
oh wow, well damn, I want one of those!