PDA

View Full Version : web tracking technologies

Apotheosis
07-28-2005, 04:20 PM
just wondering if anyone out there is familiar with the following technologies, AND if there are companies that are doing this right now:

1> user tracking/mapping (figuring out how people get to your site, IE: creating a map of how they get from point A to you)

2> Search engine optimization: Who are the leading authorities on how websites get found by using popular search engines?

Sean of the Thread
07-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Do a search on google for your questions. Think about it.. if they promoted their crap better than the rest so it shows up top 10 in a google search then there is a good chance they know wtf they are doing.

Also most hosting companies have UI that you can use to trace traffic.

Talk to a web designer is a great first step.

Sean
07-28-2005, 05:33 PM
To answer question 2. a lot of website use meta tags or keywords for search engines to pick up on. For example looking at the source code for friedrich air conditioning (since i was on there looking up someting for work) if you look theres this tag which lists keywords for friedrich.com to show up under if you search for them:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Friedrich, air conditioner, america's best, QuietMaster, wallmaster, hvac, ptac, TwinTemp, qstar, kstar, C-90a, moneysaver, floating air, ac unit, wall-mount, modular buildings, portable buildings, pollen, allergies, asthma, air cleaner, electrostatic, electronic, HEPA filter, air purifier, window unit, Freidrich, Fredrick, Frederick, EnergyStar, ductless split systems, dehumidifier">

[Edited on 7-28-2005 by Tijay]

Apotheosis
07-28-2005, 05:52 PM
i understand the meta tags.. Just wondering if anyone knew a company that is doing the right thing..but, Xyelin, point is well made.

Sean
07-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Oh, sorry :) Just trying to be helpful.

Apotheosis
07-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Tijay
Oh, sorry :) Just trying to be helpful.

I didn't mean to be rude, i'm just thinking with half of a mind today, too much shia-t going on right now to focus properly. I appreciate the knowledge, Tijay.

My brother knows how to do it, just trying to get it out of him. :D