PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye GS?

Asha
07-13-2005, 05:06 AM
Every time I read someone has left GS forever and moved over to WoW, I feel huge loss.
Not only that, due to my laptop not having transform and lighting hardware, I'll have to buy a new comp to play WoW myself.
Who still plays GS and thinks they're going to for the forseeable future? I played this game from the beginning to become high level. And now I'm just getting there, I'm just starting to really love it.
I definately WILL get a new comp in a couple of months or so. I really want to try out WoW. But I see myself enjoying GS for years yet.
(not sure which folder to put this in)

[Edited on 7-13-2005 by Drayal]

Miss X
07-13-2005, 06:50 AM
I won't be qutting GS any time soon, started to enjoy it again after a period of hardly playing. Although, I doubt I'll ever try WoW because it doesn't strike me as a roleplaying game.

Artha
07-13-2005, 06:56 AM
But I see myself enjoying GS for years yet.
If you'd have asked me 6 months ago, I'd have said the same thing. I'd probably have told you I'd be playing until Simu went out of business or if HJ was really good.

5ish months ago, I put my account on hold and started playing WoW, and have had no wish to return.

Bobmuhthol
07-13-2005, 07:35 AM
I played WoW and GS simultaneously, then I stopped playing WoW because I like GS more.

theotherjohn
07-13-2005, 07:50 AM
I played GS forever (read pre introduction of HS to GS).

I had my good account that no one knew was me that I RPed

I had all my evil accounts that I used for profit.

After playing WoW for one sitting, I was done with GS.

Mistomeer
07-13-2005, 07:57 AM
I played them both and quickly got bored of WoW and cancelled it.

Asha
07-13-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm glad to hear it's not all WoW pwnes.
Still gonna try it though.

Leetahkin
07-13-2005, 08:04 AM
I have no intentions of trying WoW.
I'll be in GS for a long time coming.
Unless I find my soulmate and live happily ever after. <not holding my breath>

DeV
07-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Mistomeer
I played them both and quickly got bored of WoW and cancelled it. :yeahthat: Started GS back not too long ago but not actively playing myself. I'm starting WoW again soon as well just to give it another go. I doubt I'll completely stop playing GS because WoW just doesn't have the kind of addiction that GS afflicts me with.

Shalla
07-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Miss X
I won't be qutting GS any time soon, started to enjoy it again after a period of hardly playing. Although, I doubt I'll ever try WoW because it doesn't strike me as a roleplaying game.

Same here. I hope the punks from gs move on to wow though. Wishful thinking.

Fallen
07-13-2005, 08:44 AM
I have played Graphical online RPGS, and they are better overall games. However, even the best games get old after about a year straight of playing. I believe these are great escapes for people to use to take breaks. I prefer regular console games, or books myself, however.
Most will play WoW, or the like for 6 months - a year, then move back to GS.

What keeps me in Elanthia is not the gameplay, but the roleplay. The serious interactions between my character and others, as well as my character and his environment. There is also something that GS has, that no other game can touch; nearly 15 years of backstory.

I am not going anywhere.

CrystalTears
07-13-2005, 08:47 AM
I'll go back to GS when they make one pricing for everyone (except plat.. they can have their playground) and everything is one playing field with everyone being equal subscribers to that field. Make it $15 for everyone, everything, all the time and I'll gladly return.

Xcalibur
07-13-2005, 08:53 AM
What's wrong about gs among ALL other problems we all know is the fact it's still an "incomplete" game.

By incomplete, I mean that there are still things that were promised YEARS ago left unfinished.

Fucking expensive boring game.

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Erm, name one MMORPG that isn't being tweaked or is "Finished"? You fucking dumbass.

I play both. Each has elements that appeals to me.

Trouble
07-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
I'll go back to GS when they make one pricing for everyone (except plat.. they can have their playground) and everything is one playing field with everyone being equal subscribers to that field. Make it $15 for everyone, everything, all the time and I'll gladly return.

I agree here. Pricing for GS is way off from what it should be. Charge $15 a month for up to 10 PCs and no stupid premium stuff. Plat can still exist at whatever price, although it's not something I'd be interested in.

I resisted WoW for a couple of years (seems like anyway) then finally gave in and tried it after this past Simucon. I'm in the total addiction phase now, and I assume that will wear off in a month or so.

I am considering putting my GS accounts on hold though. One option is to recombine them into 2 accounts again (have 5 currently), but at $15 a pop for transfers, it adds up. And with my luck, by the time I get everything combined I'll be back in a GS addiction phase and want to split things off again. Heh.

My other plan is to put everyone on hold except my main guy and his pet wizard. That way I can play when I want and still be ETing stuff over the long term.

CrystalTears
07-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Trouble
I resisted WoW for a couple of years (seems like anyway) then finally gave in and tried it after this past Simucon. I'm in the total addiction phase now, and I assume that will wear off in a month or so.

Don't assume anything. You never know what you will enjoy for how long. I thought I would get sick of WoW after a month or two as well. Heh. I started playing in January.. still playing! Previously I was bouncing around in different servers, trying to get a feel for each of them, trying to find my niche, so I wound up making quite a few characters.

Now that I'm set in Dunemaul with my mage, I'm completely immersed in it. I can't get enough. I'm so eager to get older, learn more, improve my PvP skills, go on raids, join the BG. I have so many things to look forward to.

The first 30 levels are just the tip of the iceberg with this game. It only get better.

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Its a real shame the end game for rogue's sucks mighty King Kong wang.

Showal
07-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I played WoW for about 2 weeks and got bored with it. From the sounds of it, if you approach WoW as a strategy game and not as much as a RP game, it's pretty fun. I just got bored with it and instead of leaving GS, I upgraded my subscription.

GS is incomplete, but a lot of people probably would be very frustrated and pissed off if they just "completed" it next month by throwing in all the changes they promised. Part of the fun of subscription games is that they are incomplete and are constantly adapting and changing. Who here really would want to play GS if nothing changed because it was completed and not going to change anymore?

Back to my original point, I stuck with GS because I like the RP. I left WoW because I was expecting more RP than I got. Maybe I was expecting too much in that department. I also hear that the game doesn't get really interesting until you get higher level (WoW that is). Try it, that's the only way you can really decide.

Anebriated
07-13-2005, 10:19 AM
When they say it gets more interesting they mean there are better instances, more group work, better pvp. There is no RP in any MMORPG compared to GS. That being said I quit GS about a year or two ago, since then I played DAoC for a bit over a year and WoW for a few months. I have found myself thinking back to GS a bit and considering giving it another try with more of a RP focus. I don't have the time to put into a MMORPG to get to the higher levels and whatnot. I cant buy enough time to sit down and do instances or anything lengthy. So I figure that with GS I will still have a 30's character to play so why not just RP and hunt a bit when I have the time. I never really RP'd too much with elrodin but I really enjoyed the RP with my dhe'nar. I might be giving it another shot soon.

Gan
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I play GS. My friends play GS. I have no intention nor the time to play wow.

Anebriated
07-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Ganalon to sign onto AIM ftw.

Trouble
07-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears

Originally posted by Trouble

Don't assume anything. You never know what you will enjoy for how long. I thought I would get sick of WoW after a month or two as well. Heh. I started playing in January.. still playing! Previously I was bouncing around in different servers, trying to get a feel for each of them, trying to find my niche, so I wound up making quite a few characters.

Now that I'm set in Dunemaul with my mage, I'm completely immersed in it. I can't get enough. I'm so eager to get older, learn more, improve my PvP skills, go on raids, join the BG. I have so many things to look forward to.

The first 30 levels are just the tip of the iceberg with this game. It only get better.

Yeah, I'm sorta afraid of that. Like I've mentioned here on PC before, one of the things I don't like about WoW is that it doesn't encourage you to take breaks like GS does. I can sit on my ass for 7 hours straight on a weeknight or like 15 hours on a weekend. With GS I'd do laundry/clean the house/EAT/whatever during my resting phases; that't not the case with WoW. And after XXX was released, I'd just make sure I get that with my primary guys, then blow off GS for the rest of the week.

I admit that I'm not an RPer. I stayed with GS after trying it out back in 1996 because I liked the interaction of a MMORG when compared to a solo game and of course, my newfound power-hunting addiction. WoW accomplishes this much better. I can interact with people when I want, or just plain hunt when I want.

WoW also has the advantage of being entirely new to me. I haven't played every race and class in GS, but I have the "system" down pretty well and know where everything is and all that. Eventually WoW will be like that for me, but I'm only on my first character and have only played one race/faction/profession/etc so far, so it will be a while. I never played DAoC, EQ, or any of those others, so even the grpahical MMORG thing is new to me.

SnatchWrangler
07-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Its a real shame the end game for rogue's sucks mighty King Kong wang.

How so? I rock out with my cock out. Just the AoE damage from raid mobs?

Wezas
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
I played GS3 regularly for years. Once GS4 started up my playing became less frequent to the point where (just before WoW came out) I played maybe twice a month. And those times I went in was mainly to stir up a little trouble in the crypt.

I bought WoW, and two days later signed up for their 6 months payment plan. GS4 was cancelled about a week later.

If stealing was the way it was in GS3, I might still be paying for both.

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Try raiding MC as a rogue. It's effectively impossible. All you can do is pretty much shoot your gun/bow/crossbow as anything else either doesn't work/aggs. And as you or PB maybe so keen to say "a good rogue never aggs" or a "good warrior never lets a rogue agg", that is untrue in MC. You agg for one second and you die. They're hitting you for a few thousand hp's very quickly. This is where the term mana spunge comes from as the healers have to heal you quickly and a lot. Stuff like kindney shot, sap, cheapshot, rupture, expose armor: none of this works. So you're relegated to standing back and shooting.

Asha
07-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Hunt , rest, hunt, rest, fend off Dhe'nar, hunt, rest.

It's getting tiresome.

Skeeter
07-13-2005, 10:47 AM
I've been playing WoW since it first came out. (public not Beta)

I thought...man this is a neat game but I'll be tired of it in a month or 2. Still playing now, and seriously considering putting my GS accounts on hold for the first time since they went web.

I've maybe played 10 hours total in the last 6 months. not really getting my money's worth.

SnatchWrangler
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Try raiding MC as a rogue. It's effectively impossible. All you can do is pretty much shoot your gun/bow/crossbow as anything else either doesn't work/aggs. And as you or PB maybe so keen to say "a good rogue never aggs" or a "good warrior never lets a rogue agg", that is untrue in MC. You agg for one second and you die. They're hitting you for a few thousand hp's very quickly.

Is it that bad? The ones I spoke to say AoE does aroun 1000+ dmg per. I can take a couple of those with my 4300 unbuffed HP and be able to get away. I've also been told by other MC rogues that the SS/Hemo/CR spamming rogues have it easier because they won't backstab for over 1K dmg and draw aggro. Although, it does get boring.

Stuff like kindney shot, sap, cheapshot, rupture, expose armor: none of this works. So you're relegated to standing back and shooting.

I've heard this...and of course I don't like it. But I'm about 90% PvP at this point, I've got 95% of the gear I want from pre-MC instances, and the rest of the slots I'll probably fill with PvP gear or rewards from BG.

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 10:57 AM
It's bad because you're not doing what you're best at: dealing massive damage.

Celephais
07-13-2005, 11:46 AM
My online RPGs started with GS3, I never really got bored with it but my friends moved on to other RPGs, so I tried EQ1, DAoC, EQ2, and WoW.

My experience has been that they are fun, but it's almost too easy to get to high end, and everyone is so cookie cutter. EQ1 and 2 I had the most fun with; 2 I got lucky and found a small group of perfectly balanced professions that played the same times I did, so I had a chance to group and RP with them. EQ1 still felt like I wasn't at the end when I capped (what with AAs and LDoNs I had a lot of options left to feel like I was advancing without just upgrading equipment) and I got lucky with another great group of friends their.

GS seems to fix all of that for me, I can develop close ties with people to RP with and always feel like I can develop my character further, I don't have to be a cookie cutter character, and not everyone is carrying around the same equipment (how many low capped rangers I saw with scion,swiftwind,stone/featherwood bow combo...). I also really like being able to do my laundry/read/program if there is no one to RP with while I rest. (I have a personality that makes it very difficult for me to not constantly hunt in MMOs that don't have absorbtion, I'll do nothing but from when I get home from work till I go to bed)

07-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Look at it like this..

Gemstone is really a role playing game.

World of Warcraft is an online video game.

Both are fun, but both are so radically different that you can't compare the two. I pay for both, but I'll be honest, I don't log into Gemstone that much anymore because the advancement sucks. Why would I want to get 100k+ xp for a level in Gemstone? BOOOORING

- Arkans

Showal
07-13-2005, 12:01 PM
<<Why would I want to get 100k+ xp for a level in Gemstone? BOOOORING >>

Because Showal's catching up to you and he's ready to kill you.

07-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Can't kill what's not in game :P

- Arkans

07-13-2005, 12:05 PM
But anyway... I take it further..

WoW gives you something to look forward to when leveling. Whether its new abilities, different quests, mounts, or gear with better performance and abilities.

In Gemstone, after about mid game is over, there is really no point in leveling. All you get is your +4 CS or +3 AS, a small bump and DS and off you go. All this for about three weeks of hardcore power hunting. Nothing to look forward too and that's what I hate.

- Arkans

Apotheosis
07-13-2005, 12:07 PM
in the past two months, I have had a total login time of 2.5 hours. roughly.

Jadewolff
07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
I was never much of a gamer before Gemstone and still don't consider myself to be much of one now with WoW. But there are some things I really enjoy about WoW that GS didn't seem to have for me...

- Quests and objectives.

- A way to get good gear without always having to make alot of money and find a person/merchant to buy it from.

- Having some things I could do alone and some things that force me to learn to work well with others (instances/raids).

Granted, there is barely any RPing in WoW but it's not like there is none at all. It's just in a different way. Instead of RPing a whole family you instead have your guild that is your family. There is all sorts of guild drama that is going on that seems to keep things interesting enough. Especially as you get higher, you're more dependant on your guild and your reputation as a player to get into decent raid groups and such.

One of the things I use to hate about graphical games was the whole idea of every character being the same. And though it is more so then GS, you're not completely limited in WoW at least. There are so many different combinations for talents and gear that determine just what kind of character in a specific profession you want to play.

07-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Jadewolff

Granted, there is barely any RPing in WoW but it's not like there is none at all.

This is so not true and you should know better than to make these kind of outrageous statement by reading our Dunemaul discussions. What about all the great cow jokes we've come up with about Bayne!?!

If that's not top notch RP, I don't know what is. :cow:

CrystalTears
07-13-2005, 01:38 PM
The thing is, you have go into these games with the knowledge that they are two different kinds of games.

Don't expect to go into WoW and have constant RP. This game is one long video game with other people to play with. If you want to add RP to it, that's fine, but you won't find the roleplay you'd expect from text roleplaying games. They're just not the same thing.

I'm content with making friends, questing/hunting with existing friends and having fun. The roleplay aspect doesn't interest me because we don't have to act to be our characters. We are what we are. Bayne is a cow. He doesn't have to moo or walk on all fours to prove it to the rest of us. You just have to look at him. Heh.

Sometimes you just want to play a game and not have to validate and justify yourself at every turn.

[Edited on 7/13/2005 by CrystalTears]

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 01:38 PM
On the EU RP servers there is alot more RP than I find in GS.

Mistomeer
07-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
But anyway... I take it further..

WoW gives you something to look forward to when leveling. Whether its new abilities, different quests, mounts, or gear with better performance and abilities.

In Gemstone, after about mid game is over, there is really no point in leveling. All you get is your +4 CS or +3 AS, a small bump and DS and off you go. All this for about three weeks of hardcore power hunting. Nothing to look forward too and that's what I hate.

- Arkans

Pretty much. the level compression and the loss of symbol of dreams and meditate is what killed the game for many.

YancyDC
07-13-2005, 04:42 PM
I'll be playing for a good long while, although law school in the fall will be taking a lot of time away from it. I've tried a couple MMORPGs, and they fucking blow. Hunting is GS is fun, even after all these years. Grinding sucks.

Burnt out Priestess
07-13-2005, 04:50 PM
I will be in GS along time coming,i played WoW when i took a break from GS and got bored of it,so came back to GS and dont plan on leaving.

Hulkein
07-13-2005, 04:55 PM
It'd be cool if they had an RP enforced PvP server.

Brattt8525
07-13-2005, 05:08 PM
I can't seem to bring myself to play GS much at all anymore. I log in, spell up then end up surfing the net watching a movie or doing something else forgetting I logged in. I am not sure what it is but I just don't find it as appealing as I did say 2 years ago.

I might break down and try Wow seems most people are really enjoying it.

Landrion
07-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
Look at it like this..

World of Warcraft is an online video game.

Both are fun, but both are so radically different that you can't compare the two. I pay for both, but I'll be honest, I don't log into Gemstone that much anymore because the advancement sucks. Why would I want to get 100k+ xp for a level in Gemstone? BOOOORING

- Arkans

I have to admit, that touches on one of the two main reason I dont reccomend Gem to friends.

1) It is such a major haul to get anywhere. Hey bud, come play this game, in 3 years we might be able to hunt together.

2) Its so overpriced to get features that are common in most games. Charge per character slot? Huh? I get 10 slots per server on 7 or more servers on city of heroes for 15 a month!! 40 bucks a month to own a home? Didnt that come for free in even that pile of shit game UO? Heck, many people I know on City of Heroes bitch about the 15 a month when Guild wars is free, Im not thinking Ill pitch a 40 buck premium account to them.

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

If this is in regards to WoW: they do.

theotherjohn
07-13-2005, 06:14 PM

which one is that?

My choices are RP, PVP and normal

AnticorRifling
07-13-2005, 06:15 PM
I still enjoy GS, I don't play as much as I'd like to as my life has become more and more hectic/time consuming. But whenever I get a chance I get in the game and I still find things that keep me amused.

Artha
07-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Let me fix this.

Gemstone was once really a role playing game.

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

which one is that?

My choices are RP, PVP and normal

It's an EU thing.

theotherjohn
07-13-2005, 06:25 PM
It's an EU thing.

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/serverstatus/

is the list of servers for EU.

which one is it again?

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 06:28 PM
You should learn to read the forums before trying to pretent to be smart. We get it first, you get it last. And you fucks have been whining to high heaven about it:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=3845466&tmp=1

theotherjohn
07-13-2005, 06:29 PM
You should learn to read the forums before trying to pretent to be smart. We get it first, you get it last. And you fucks have been whining to high heaven about it:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=3845466&tmp=1

Im not trying to pretend to be smart, I wanted to learn

thanks

and I did read and did learn the Germany DOES NOT HAVE A RP/PVP server

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=3845466&tmp=1#post3845466

[Edited on 7-13-2005 by theotherjohn]

Shari
07-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Even though I really miss the roleplay and the highly customizable character attributes,attitude,attire, history,etc...I can't justify spending 40 friggen bucks anymore. Especially since being a clothes horse was the only thing worth logging into GS for lately anyway.

That's the two things I don't like about WoW, the lack of RP, and the inability to design body-hugging slutty corsets! But, I can deal with 15 dollars a month. Especially since I can create other characters without at $2.50 charge per char.

And...every now and then Scott asks questions about what I'm doing in WoW...

someday, oh yes, someday, he WILL be playing!

Xcalibur
07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Erm, name one MMORPG that isn't being tweaked or is "Finished"? You fucking dumbass.

I play both. Each has elements that appeals to me.

Shut up bitch-hairy face. Gemstone is 15 years old (if not more).

Wow is less than a year old.

Wow provided what they said they would give, gs? There is still MANY things left Real Soon.

Gemstone is a joke (VERY EXPENSIVE) and you get laughed at, you ugly shit.

[Edited on 13-7-05 by Xcalibur]

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 06:52 PM
LOL GS is a joke, but you can't stop playing can you? Even when you said you'd never play again, you couldn't help yourself. Basically it means your word = full of shit. You're a poor liar and everyone knows it.

And still, point me to a MUD that is pay per play and is "finished".

Gan
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
X.

My god you're posts are dumb. Take it U2U instead of polluting the boards.

Thanks.

Anebriated
07-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Actually the "world" of warcraft has been around for alot longer than a year. 11 to be exact. Not quite 15 but still not a completely new storyline.

PC System Requirements for Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
386/20 with 4MB RAM
MS-DOS 5.0 or Higher
VGA Video Card
Microsoft Compatible Mouse
CD-ROM Required for Movies

Xcalibur
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
I considered myself pwned by The Doors.

Gemstone still sucks.

Hulkein
07-13-2005, 09:37 PM

Yeah, it was.

I never knew that, what is the name of the server?

I thought it was just Normal (Non-PvP, no roleplay enforcement), PvP (PvP, no roleplay enforcement), and RP (Non-PvP, roleplay enforcement)

Hulkein
07-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, finished reading the thread.

Good to know, Stray.

It's ashame I probably won't have the motivation to make a new character when the US servers get them.

[Edited on 7-14-2005 by Hulkein]

StrayRogue
07-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Well we've been getting alot of server transfers in the EU. You could probably ask for one when the new servers open. I'm sure they'll be getting a lot of similar requests.

Artha
07-13-2005, 09:46 PM
They'll probably release the new servers right when I get Galahr to 60, the bastards.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
07-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Lady Shalla

Originally posted by Miss X

Same here. I hope the punks from gs move on to wow though. Wishful thinking.

Hey now, I"m no punk and i"m gonna go try WoW ;p

Hulkein
07-13-2005, 09:57 PM
If they allowed transfers and a huge amount of people from the PC on Horde moved to one, and the Argent Dawn from PC moved the the same RP PvP server, there'd be a hell of a lot of fun.

Artha
07-13-2005, 10:00 PM
FEDSH (the guild alliance that the PC guild is in) is currently planning to start a horde guild on an RP/PVP server.

Gigantuous
07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I picked up WoW, played it for about a week, then quit.

Now, I'm completely burnt out on GS. Like, I don't even want to log in to say hello to friends. I started playing WoW again, and it's really enjoyable for me this time. I think it's cause I like the look of the Horde better than Alliance :D

Will I quit GS? No. Will I continue being premie? No, I was only premie for 4winds access anyway.

theotherjohn
07-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Artha
FEDSH (the guild alliance that the PC guild is in) is currently planning to start a horde guild on an RP/PVP server.

which RP/PVP does all these people plan on going to?

Since I am very sure message number 7 in this link is clear

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=3845314&P=1

Czeska
07-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I won't try WoW, I don't do graphics games. I still love Gemstone.

Trouble
07-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Czeska
I won't try WoW, I don't do graphics games. I still love Gemstone.

That was me. I would tell all my GS buds who moved on to EQ/DAoC/WoW/etc that I only have one game and that's GS. I didn't like the idea of graphics and all that. GS was it, period. I resisted them for years, but one evening of WoW and I was (am) hooked.

There may be more RP in GS, but there is much more in the way of teamwork in WoW (leeeerrrroooooyyy!!), which I have realized is a stronger draw for me. Teamwork in GS is having a capped cleric/empath bind everything for you, or having the giantman sorcerer carry all the coins and boxes. Teamwork in WoW goes way beyond that (although there are problems with capped characters being pets).

The graphics did take some time to get used to, but they, like the text, are just symbols. I don't really pay attention to the literality (hey I just made up a word) of the pictures, they just assist in creating a virtual world in my head, like GS did.

Well, I take that back, I always turned off room descriptions in GS, and never read them when they were on anyway, but having the sceenery in WoW makes a big difference in my feeling of being immersed in a different world.

Guerrin
07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
After all the GM drama, quest drama (aka incomplete) and Simu's crappy policies, I was pretty much done with GS as of last year.

Figured I'd give WoW a shot, tried out OB and ST, really enjoyed it, so I stuck with it.

After so many years of GS it's nice to play a game that isn't centered on RP. I cancelled my Gs account back in november, and reactivated once to attend an annual event (which I will probably continue to do).

While I reactivated I realized how much I fuckin hated hunting in GS. Holy shit...it just ....sucks. I do miss a few of the people though.

I'll probably give HJ a shot though...but only if I can grief the Rplayers :D

P.S. There was a blue post on the general forum this week regarding RP-PVP servers. They'll be coming ...RSN!

Wezas
07-19-2005, 01:14 PM
An old friend from GS tried to get me into DAoC. I played for a week or so. She basically had me tag along and rocket through the levels. I had no idea what to do or any of my skills, but I was flying past people, age wise. Graphics were meh - and after a while I realized I only knew her and her husband in the game. It was so boring.

I started playing Diablo II again, and realized how much I liked the unique items that you'd find. I thought that if was going to create a game, it would be a graphical version of Gemstone, easy to pick up, but with the Diablo-esque quests and unique items.

WoW was basically exactly what I was looking for.

DeV
07-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Gigantuous
I picked up WoW, played it for about a week, then quit.

Now, I'm completely burnt out on GS. Like, I don't even want to log in to say hello to friends. I started playing WoW again, and it's really enjoyable for me this time. I think it's cause I like the look of the Horde better than Alliance :D

Will I quit GS? No. :yeahthat:

I've been having alot of fun with WoW since I've been back this second time around. In the days when Dunemaul was basically a barren wasteland, the times when I'd see like only 4 other characters on any given day my entire time in game, has changed for the better.

I'm not quitting till I hit 60 this time, but don't hold me to that. :D

ElanthianSiren
07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Generally, I don't like graphics games, at all. I enjoyed Morrowind from a strategy point of view and making my own class (World Assassin ooh oooh ooh) when it first came out.

To me though, the character is the most important aspect of an online gaming experience. In games like WoW, DaoC, Diablo etc, I almost got the sense that the character was secondary to the graphics; I didn't like that.

Now, there are a lot other text games out there, and I may move to one of those if SIMU pisses me off enough, but I will probably never play a graphics game. They tend to give me a headache.

-M

Chyrain
08-30-2005, 05:13 AM
Well, I recently sold my GS characters and got nostalgic and came to read these forums. I now play WoW, so I thought I'd have a looksie at these posts. I have a few friends in WoW that run Simu games in the background of WoW. My computer personally wouldn't handle that very well :-/ But truly, between being in my last year of school before getting my BA, my kids, my romantic endeavors, working and enjoying the game with a great group of friends that I talk to in a ventrilo server every chance I get - I just don't have time for GS anymore.

I started playing Gemstone when I was 18 years old. I'm 26 now and I just...I don't know, I guess I just felt the need to move on for a while. Gemstone is such a tight-knit community. Spending every single day with such a small group of people really took its toll on me. I found a lot of stress in just logging into Gemstone, whether from other people or just the fact that I found it increasingly more difficult to have truly personal relationships with people I spent so many hours with, but had never met in person (A few spring to mind). Towards the end, I was looking for a way to separate my "real" life from this game that I had invested so much time and energy into. I didn't want to feel obligated to words on a screen, but only to my responsibilities away from my desk. I think that bummed a few people out, but I don't know how to turn those things back and still retain some space.

In WoW, things are generally more anonymous. There are a few people who are irritating, but you can truly ignore them and not have your game play altered in any way. Having an "enemy" in GS makes being in the game or reading forums or just trying to relax too stressful. I think having to deal with my own problems or listen to everyone else's problems with people in the game just wiped me out on the care meter. I just could not care anymore.

I play on a normal server. I'm in the top horde guild. I raid MC, Ony and BWL weekly. I show up, do my job and crack jokes at the crackheads in my guild that I've come to feel for like they're my brothers. No one puts up with bullshit and it's a good time. I wish that I felt GS could be like that for me. I'd come back in a second.

But until that can happen for me...farewell Damina and Chyrain.

Showal
08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
I havent been playing GS as much recently. I don't know why. I go into periods of playing GS all the time to basically playing none. I still love GS, the concept and everything ... I just went into a period where a lot of shit was happening in my personal life and when it all ended, I still haven't been signing on as much. I think it's good to get out of it every once in a while but it sucks coming back and all the RP storylines you've been involved in have moved on without you (which adds to the difficulty of getting back involved).

hectomaner
08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Chyrain
my romantic endeavors

ahh, still dreaming about me i see :)

Chyrain
08-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner

Originally posted by Chyrain
my romantic endeavors

ahh, still dreaming about me i see :)

well at least I get to see you in WoW every once in a while :-p

oh check your paypal btw.

hectomaner
08-30-2005, 06:43 PM
yeah, thank you. and WoW will be more frequent, as i'm selling out of GS completely, and with school starting this month, and work, i have time for 1 of the 2. and since GM Mestys confirmed my beliefs, that the only thing that would keep me in game, has been delayed, i'm done with GS, so i'll see you in Az. who knows, maybe i'll finally cap at least 1 character...

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 08:06 AM
The frequency of WoW posting activity has died down significantly as of late... are you guys bored yet?

Hecto..
What one thing was delayed just out of curiosity? I don't follow that shit anymore.

09-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin
The frequency of WoW posting activity has died down significantly as of late... are you guys bored yet?

Hecto..
What one thing was delayed just out of curiosity? I don't follow that shit anymore.

Since we merged guilds, half of our guild doesn't read these boards. Must of our WoW chat is on our guild message board nowadays.

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Ah.. I've been feeling a strong need to return to my face melter. It has been months and I know he misses me.

Edited because I forgot the point. All of you guys posting was drawing me back to the game.

[Edited on 9-2-2005 by Xyelin]

09-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Ah.. I've been feeling a strong need to return to my face melter. It has been months and I know he misses me.

Edited because I forgot the point. All of you guys posting was drawing me back to the game.

[Edited on 9-2-2005 by Xyelin]

What server do you play on? :holding a giant carebear pic behind his back while he awaits the answer:

Hehe, I know you play on one of the PvP servers, I'm just wondering which one.

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Arthas.

I have nothing against the carebear servers themselves other than I couldn't find any good roleplay and I just hated it when carebear players would bitch about their time on pvp servers (well duh haha).

I love the thrill of creeping around a corner trying to get to my objective literally jumping out of my seat when an undead rogue appears out of no where and backstabs my ass.

AnticorRifling
09-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Yeah seeing red on the screen above someone's head get's my heart pumping pretty good. I like the challenge but it can get frustrating. When it does I just jump on a wyvern and knock out some quests elsewhere.

Artha
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Paladins suck at PvP :(

Yesterday I saw some 40-something priest running around with PvP on in Thelsamar (10-20ish town) and knocked them down to like 10% in a couple hits...then they ran. And I couldn't catch up, and couldn't use a ranged attack :(

FUCK PALADINS!11!!!!1

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Hehe funny shit.. on pvp servers you won't see a priest running from a paladin.

hectomaner
09-02-2005, 12:36 PM
lol, my 49 lock killed a level >59 priest yesterday by the WSG entrance. i rock

Hecto..

thanatoph bowels

Doyle Hargraves
09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Every time I read someone has left GS forever and moved over to WoW, I feel huge loss.

Seek help.

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 01:09 PM

Hecto..

thanatoph bowels

Details of teh priest maiming please?

ShadowKaster
09-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Drayal
Not only that, due to my laptop not having transform and lighting hardware, I'll have to buy a new comp to play WoW myself.
Who still plays GS and thinks they're going to for the forseeable future? I played this game from the beginning to become high level. And now I'm just getting there, I'm just starting to really love it.
I definately WILL get a new comp in a couple of months or so. I really want to try out WoW. But I see myself enjoying GS for years yet.
(not sure which folder to put this in)

[Edited on 7-13-2005 by Drayal]

Wow would be more fun if it weren't infested with massive cheating.

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Cheating?

hectomaner
09-02-2005, 02:17 PM

Hecto..

thanatoph bowels

Details of teh priest maiming please?

felhunter went after him, CoS, then got off a soul fire (LONG 6 seconds), then used my death ray, then spammed a few shadow bolts and he was dead. he didnt deal well with the fel on him

hectomaner
09-02-2005, 02:17 PM
then his 60 mage came up and rocked me 1980s style

Sean of the Thread
09-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Deathrays are fucking funny. I used to play with my buddy who was like a 30 something warlock and he would follow me around (55 face melter) and he would always pop out of the shadows and death ray.. and then get one hit into pwnage. Fun times.