PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather...

OreoElf
07-11-2005, 09:41 PM
A. Have a person that is either a total asshole IRL or really good at rping one... by that I mean someone that does things the average evil rper woulding do... cruel evil crazy things without going ooc.

Or...

B. Have someone that is really cool and that you like as a person, but is generally kinda OOC a lot of the time?

Which would you rather have?

Honestly I'm not sure how to answer this since I have aquaintances that rp "bad guys" and some that I like even though they're ooc and drive me nutty.

[Edited on 7-12-2005 by OreoElf]

Fallen
07-11-2005, 10:06 PM
A.

Any day, under any circumstance. OOC has no place in gemstone, no matter what anyone says or believes.

OreoElf
07-11-2005, 10:10 PM
You know thinking about it I'm not sure I would want either... People like Xandalf and Mekthros aren't what I'm referring to be A btw... Sadly, anyone I can think of when I wrote about A is really somewhat ooc too... damn my brain!!!

I would say Devishal is a prime example of A but he was very OOC ex.... coming after me as Snagus when he borrowed the char from whoever owned it... etc.

Fallen
07-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Well... Klaive would be one. Completely IC, but everyone hated his guts.

OreoElf
07-11-2005, 10:14 PM
True... that's a good point. I have not interacted with him much and had no problem and nothing but fun RPing with Kurapira... who treated Amerith as though she wasn't sure what to do with her...

Fallen
07-11-2005, 10:17 PM
He was (by all reports) a sneaky, underhanded, vile character that constantly was engaged in conflicts where he would do nearly anything to win.

But he was always IC in the sense that he didn't prattle about football scores or stats. He had a fully developed backstory, even if people hated it, and took his roleplay very seriously.

I would rather have characters like that more than any "Nice" person that is constantly slipping OOC like Diynasta and such.

Edaarin
07-11-2005, 10:19 PM
I forgot that slamming when you get PWNED is completely in character if you play a sneaky sorceror.

Anyway, I'd probably go with B. Those Wayside conversations were funny.

EDIT: For grins, here's a log repost from 11/9/2003.

You spring from hiding and deliver a blow to Klaive's head!
MS: +326 - MD: +206 + MAvA: -8 + d100: +57 == +169
Success!
Klaive is paralyzed!

Roundtime: 5 sec.
...wait 4 seconds.
>l
[Hearthstone, Courtyard]
Before you stands a grand old manor, framed by huge willows to the east and west. The elegant trees sway gently in the moonlight, dappling the cobblestone courtyard with ever-shifting patterns of light and dark. Snippets of conversation drift away from the long porch stretching along the full width of the great old house, as several guests enjoy the hospitality and ambience of this fine hideaway. You also see a trollfear mushroom, a white panther (sleeping), a hollow tree stump and the porch steps.
Also here: a stunned Great Lord Klaive, Murp, Jariel, Jydae
Obvious paths: south
>
Klaive just left.

report So if Klaive comes back from logging after I stunned him, do I get to see an enraged Edaarin return to the fray? Hehehehh

SEND[Zyllah] Heh. Would be interesting.

[Edited on 7-12-2005 by Edaarin]

StrayRogue
07-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Heh saying Klaive was IC all the time in all his conflicts is very retarded.

Flurbins
07-11-2005, 11:03 PM
I'd rather have someone be IC all the time, it's better for me to be annoyed at the character than embarassed by the person, which is how I feel when I'm grouped with someone and they start talking OOC in public.

StrayRogue
07-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I can talk OOC to people on Psinet or in IMs. Option A for me.

Divinity
07-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Fallen
He was (by all reports) a sneaky, underhanded, vile character that constantly was engaged in conflicts where he would do nearly anything to win.

But he was always IC in the sense that he didn't prattle about football scores or stats. He had a fully developed backstory, even if people hated it, and took his roleplay very seriously.

I would rather have characters like that more than any "Nice" person that is constantly slipping OOC like Diynasta and such.

I have to agree. I would rather have someone that is constantly IC. I don't really care what the personality is like OOC, because I'm interacting with the person in the game.

Sadly, only a small group of people come to mind when I'm saying this.

Side note: Thanks for the compliment Ame. :heart:

Gan
07-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Option A while outside, hunting, or hanging in public places like the dais.

Option B if you're just at a table amongst friends that you know well enough to carry on hillarious OOC conversations at the table.

Divinity
07-11-2005, 11:14 PM
See, I don't like the table thing so much. It kinda breaks the atmosphere to me. You can do plenty of things that are considered RP and IC that are funny.

I mean, even whispers are IC to me. ::shrugs::

ElanthianSiren
07-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't view anything as OOC in Elanthia. Here's why:

There is no OOC until my character treats a situation as such. Part of the challenge for me as a player of a character is to determine how that character responds to stimulis. That includes things that she does not understand.

Case in point: I used to RP Kiera is illiterate. Once, I got into a small altercation with a merchant when she kept whispering to me that Kiera didn't have to READ the sign, just LOOK at it.

She thought I was having mechanics problems when I was RPing, so I RP'd out not understanding the words and requested an interperiter. People around were happy to help.

My choice is B.

There is no character in Gemstone that can, given the policy limitations, ruin my fun in Gemstone. My character may look at them as if they're nuts if they start talking about robots, but she will inquire, as any of us would do in life as to something we don't understand.

I think a lot of people play GS with the impression that their characters should know and understand everything about the game. That's a fallacy and every bit as ooc as the person who is being ooc.

-M

OreoElf
07-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
Option A while outside, hunting, or hanging in public places like the dais.

Option B if you're just at a table amongst friends that you know well enough to carry on hillarious OOC conversations at the table.

:yeahthat:

Thanks everyone for your interesting responses!

SpunGirl
07-12-2005, 12:43 AM
I agree with the thing about being OOC at tables, it DOES break the mood a little bit.

Naessi has a dear, dear friend that is IC most of the time, but he's constantly using all lower-case when he talks. I know that's a small thing when it comes to playing GS and might not even fall under the umbrella of OOC, but it drives me NUTS.

-K

HarmNone
07-12-2005, 07:27 AM
I'd choose A, most definitely. When I played, I was there for the roleplay. I was my character, not Kim. That's how I'd prefer it stay while in game. However, I do realize that's not for everyone. :)

Lord Dainslef
07-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Either

Option A: I know a few people that are pretty good at being a complete arse, but are the nicest people when you actually meet them or talk to them in IMs. That reminds me though...Kurapira's neck still has an appointment with Dain's dagger. :smilegrin:

Or

Option C: FIIDC

CrystalTears
07-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Flurbins
I'd rather have someone be IC all the time, it's better for me to be annoyed at the character than embarassed by the person, which is how I feel when I'm grouped with someone and they start talking OOC in public.

:yeahthat: