PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts

Apotheosis
07-11-2005, 02:23 AM
So, I have been thinking about taking a martial arts class again, as I haven't in a few years.

Number of reasons for it, but primarily because I need to learn a form of combat that also re-inforces self discipline, awareness of ones surroundings, and tactical approachs to an opponent.

Anyway, I've narrowed down the 3 forms, and have found proven, competent, instructors of each form within my area.

Here they are:

Penkjat Silat
(Indonesan martial art, too much emphasis on spirituality for my comfort) (see, too Islamic for my comfort)

Krav Maga
(Israeli self defense. Don't know much more about it then that)

Wing Chun Kung Fu
(This seems to be one of the most focused, efficient disciplines that also has a fairly down to earth spirituality that I appreciate)

anyway, anyone know anything about any of these forms, and wish to put their opinions on them or another?

Xandalf
07-11-2005, 02:26 AM
I actually wrote a 25 page paper... a guide to choosing between martial arts... for a class last summer.

I know a great deal and have practiced numerous arts. U2U or IM me and I would be glad to help.

Gan
07-11-2005, 02:31 AM
I'm into Go Kan Ryu - Karate and am enjoying it, cant wait to get my son involved when he gets older.

Edaarin
07-11-2005, 06:06 AM
You may not know it but several of our posters are accomplished ninjas.

Asha
07-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Tomiki Aikido.

I break the bones of young children regularly through this technique.

AnticorRifling
07-11-2005, 06:59 AM
I did Wing Chun and White Eyebrow kung fu when I was in the Marines. It was good stuff but I haven't found anyone around here that teaches it.

Asha
07-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Didn't Bruce Lee himself, design wing chun?

Apotheosis
07-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
Didn't Bruce Lee himself, design wing chun?

He developed his own style loosely based on wing chun techniques.

Wing Chun came way before bruce lee

StrayRogue
07-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Wing Chun was the martial art that Bruce Lee was first taught. Along with his immense research into other fighting styles he was able to create his own art - Jeet Kun Do.

Anyway, with those to choose from I'd do Wing Chun.

Asha
07-11-2005, 10:38 AM
After I was beaten to shit on the way home, the police told me to look into some martial arts to strengthen my busted leg once it was fully healed.
I went to the local kick ass place, and had a few words with the owner. He advised me, due to the nature of fighting I'd be more likely to experience in the places I live and have to wander to and from work, that I should study Ju-jitsu.
If you want to protect yourself in the best way possible, especially when grappling on the floor or after having your head and chest stamped on by 6 guys you should try this.
You might have had enough Karate training already to just jump straight in. But you have to prove you can take it.
It's easily the most pwning form of self defense.

But if you just want to get buff and disciplined, go kung fu.
:injured:

Asha
07-11-2005, 10:40 AM
And I just re-read the first post and realised I've totally not done as you asked.
:lol:
I have no knowledge of any art you mentioned. :(

StrayRogue
07-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Ju-Jitsu is one of the primary disciplines of cage fighting. They concentrate on kick boxing for the striking, but use ju-jitsu for the grappling and group work. So yeah, do that as most brawls generally end up on the ground and with each person grabbing each other.

Asha
07-11-2005, 10:43 AM
That being said Stray, I tried to grab a kickboxer before to get him onto the deck.
After about 6 tries and ending on the floor myself, and me recieving 2 punches to the face and a kick in the inside knee.. I let him go.
Lucky him.

[Edited on 7-11-2005 by Drayal]

StrayRogue
07-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Heh, then he was doing his job.

peam
07-11-2005, 10:49 AM
A mixed style will trump straight grappling or striking any day.

That being said, I'd take up Brazilian Jui-Jitsu and Muay Thai.

StrayRogue
07-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Yep, mixed martial arts is where it's at. But to go one better on the Brazilian ju-jitsu, do Gracey ju-jitsu ;)

Apotheosis
07-11-2005, 10:56 AM
you know, when all is said and done, I just want to be able to totally flip out and kill everyone when someone drops their spoon.

Asha
07-11-2005, 10:57 AM
hahahaha
:rofl: :lol:

Asha
07-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Or opens a window.

StrayRogue
07-11-2005, 10:59 AM
You need to learn Hokuto Shinken then ;)

DCSL
07-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I'll speak up as an advocate for Krav Maga. I've been doing it for um.. a lil' short of a year now. It is awesome. Fuck the philosophies, fuck the internal balance, fuck the ancient learned ways. You hit that bastard until he's a bloody pulp. Then a couple more. Just in case.

That's what I like about Krav Maga. Other arts have become about exercise, inner peace and discipline, but not Krav Maga. It's still focused on the quickest, harshest way to take down your enemies. True, it is a good work out, but Krav Maga speaks to my inner violence like no other martial art I've ever taken (JKD, Kajikenbo, Capoeira). Nothing like knowing you can beat the crap out of someone help you be the better person.

Asha
07-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Wow great. You just break someones face instead of taking them down and you'll be the one facing charges.

I gotta try that.

Apotheosis
07-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Just for the record, I don't consider Capoeira a form of martial arts.

Dustin Hoffman's role in Meet the Focker's pretty much sums up what I think about it.

[Edited on 7-11-2005 by Yswithe]

DeV
07-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DCSL
That's what I like about Krav Maga. Other arts have become about exercise, inner peace and discipline, but not Krav Maga. It's still focused on the quickest, harshest way to take down your enemies. I am starting to like what I hear about this form of martial art. I've taken kickboxing, loved it. Twai kon do, the desire was lost after my 5th instruction, but I blame that on having an overly arrogant and overall bad instructer.

AnticorRifling
07-11-2005, 01:53 PM
It is a poor musician who blames their instrument DeV.

Apotheosis
07-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by DeV

That's what I like about Krav Maga. Other arts have become about exercise, inner peace and discipline, but not Krav Maga. It's still focused on the quickest, harshest way to take down your enemies. I am starting to like what I hear about this form of martial art. I've taken kickboxing, loved it. Twai kon do, the desire was lost after my 5th instruction, but I blame that on having an overly arrogant and overall bad instructer.

Krav Maga is pretty badass. I mean, it's a preferred form of military self defense training. Must be a reason for that.

Skirmisher
07-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
It is a poor musician who blames their instrument DeV.

Unless your teacher is like THIS GUY (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/kunfuteach.html)

Stealth
07-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Brazilian Ju-Jitsu/Gracie Ju-Jitsu has my vote. Almost all fights end up in a grapple, and it's much easier to subdue someone with a choke or submission hold than it is to beat them senseless(or kill them if that needs to be done).

Stealth

DeV
07-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
It is a poor musician who blames their instrument DeV. Yes, in most cases.

In the case of my instructer, he was a 5th dan, exceptionally good at his art. Though because someone is great at their craft does not automatically make them a great teacher or give them awesome abilities of instructing others of said art. Such was the case with this instructer. I was not the only student to abondon his session as he was left with half a class out of around 17.

Pure and simple, it was his teaching method. He didn't leave much to be desired.

Xandalf
07-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Stealth
Brazilian Ju-Jitsu/Gracie Ju-Jitsu has my vote. Almost all fights end up in a grapple, and it's much easier to subdue someone with a choke or submission hold than it is to beat them senseless(or kill them if that needs to be done).

Stealth

This is true, and it is very important to know how to grapple.

But this is severly limiting. What if you are against two or more people? Nearly impossible to deal with two or more people as a grappler alone.

07-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I've been in several street fights that didn't degenerate into grappling.

Skirmisher
07-11-2005, 04:46 PM
You got those long arms though!

Apotheosis
07-11-2005, 04:49 PM
end the fight before the grapple.

Artha
07-11-2005, 05:24 PM
end the fight before the grapple.
http://www.logicsouth.com/~lcoble/dir17/pistol.jpg

Apotheosis
07-11-2005, 05:29 PM
.22's suck at ending fights. at least I think that's a .22

Artha
07-11-2005, 05:31 PM
All I know is that it popped up on the GIS for Pistol.

[Edited on 7-11-2005 by Artha]

ElanthianSiren
07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Yswithe

Originally posted by DeV

Krav Maga is pretty badass. I mean, it's a preferred form of military self defense training. Must be a reason for that.

:heart: that is all. I like Aikido because you get to use the other person's attacks against them.

-M
ps. it's not assault if they hit you first; it's especially not assault if it's a man vs a woman hand to hand and the man hits first -- this to the comment about DCL and pulverizing someone. Sometimes being the "fairer" sex has its advantages.

Apotheosis
07-11-2005, 05:34 PM
:D

yes, but I would prefer to not have a gun.

Pepper spray, martial arts, and a kubaton is all I would want.

07-11-2005, 05:36 PM
about Aikido: This is my godfather www.directmind.com

Aikidio is fucking bad ass.

peam
07-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Yswithe
.22's suck at ending fights. at least I think that's a .22

I'm pretty God damned sure if someone shot me with a .22 I would lose all interest in fighting them rather quickly.

radamanthys
12-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Thread resurrected because it's still a good topic.

I'm currently taking:
Aiki-jutsu, Karate, and Kenjutsu/Iaido (Sword).

I enjoy it. Real relaxed dojo, which is good and bad. Good high-rank staff to student ratio.

pabstblueribbon
12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I know Karah-tay. Only two kinda people know it, thats the King, and the Chinese.

LOOK OUT MAN

:karate-chop:
http://storage.people.com/jpgs/19750113/19750113-750-7.jpg

TCB BABY, TCB.