PDA

View Full Version : "Over there"

07-09-2005, 09:34 PM
A new show that is going to be on FX
http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/overthere/main.html
you can see the trailer there.

I premiers July 27th, and looks like it is going to be pretty damn interesting in the least.

I for one can't wait till it starts.

[Edited on 7-10-2005 by Dave]

Sean
07-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I have to agree. I've been interested since I saw commericals for it a few months ago. I'm on the fence about it but it looks like it will atleast serve as good entertainment.

Sean
07-09-2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/overthere/main.html

Is a more direct link for anyone who is having trouble finding it.

07-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Heh I just fixed it then saw your post Tijay.

It seems all the reviews for it are good.

Kuyuk
07-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Looks dumb.

K.

Fallen
07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
It actually looked really good.

DeV
07-09-2005, 09:56 PM
I'll be checking it out also.

Sean
07-09-2005, 10:04 PM
If I recall the commercial thats actually on FX it goes into a bit more detail than the one on the site. If someone can find a copy of it or if you catch it on FX I think it just give a better impression of the show. Again I'm not sure which way the show goes with the hype machines or how accurate it will be to anything. But if anything it atleast looks like it promises to be entertaining.

07-17-2005, 07:42 PM
10 days until the premier.

4a6c1
07-17-2005, 08:55 PM
TiVoed

:)

gonna be good

07-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Fuck that. It's boring enough as it is over here without having to watch a TV show about it.

Skirmisher
07-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Well now, most cops feel the same way about cop shows I would guess.

It's all quite alien to most of us though. :P

07-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Well im not there yet so im interested.
Just a few weeks and your gonna be back :)

07-17-2005, 11:28 PM
58 days

07-18-2005, 01:25 AM
hrmm we will be packing up and getting ready for TFN when you get back, and I'm going to be gone from oct-nov, but if you're still around when I get back we will have to go get a few drinks.

07-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Okay

And TV is for losers anyway

07-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Its on TONIGHT so watch it, FX at 10pm E/P.

Was to violent to put on earlier :(

Sean
07-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I wasn't super impressed, but the action was fun atleast. Although I'm glad bo got fucked up, he needed to be taken down a peg or two.

07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
What happend with RangerD1 and why is he unregistered?

Sean
07-27-2005, 11:09 PM
You'd have to ask him.

07-28-2005, 09:33 AM
It was.. OKAY.. I mean, it was entertaining and all. I really doubt it's all high fly action with bullets flying like during the Battle of the Bulge all the time. Then again, I've never been there, but everyone told me it was boring.

- Arkans

Terminator X
07-28-2005, 09:50 AM
I saw advertisements for this. The F in FX stands for Fox.

Hence, I won't be watching it.

Back
07-29-2005, 07:22 PM
TV Drama on Iraq Tells Us More About Hollywood (http://www.davidswanson.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 285&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0) (op-ed)

The episode I watched was 40 minutes, and for the first 20 there was nothing positive I could say about it. After that, the only positive thing I could say was that it began to show war in a way that included injuries and deaths. That may prove a significant contribution, particularly if the fictional version opens the door to showing us the real thing.

I didn’t catch it myself. I mean, I see enough about the war every day that makes me depressed. But this guy has a point. Will this series glorify, in a fictional way, the war in Iraq? In some ways its a great marketing strategy... to create a show about a bad war where the heros always win.

I can’t help but think its propaganda though.

07-29-2005, 07:33 PM
You would have to watch it to say that.

I watched it with a group of guys in the barracks. We nitpicked a lot of it apart, but overall it wasn't to bad.

A example of how you are wrong about the "hero worship" was the character "Bo" who was played up to be a leader, ended up getting his leg blown the fuck up. The Hero there didn't win.

Reading up on that Op-Ed, the guy who wrote it really didn't understand the show.

The first episode briefly showed some soldiers departing the United States, and then focused on one battle in which this small band of men went up against a heavily fortified building in the middle of a desert

The start of the show was about going off to war and leaving family and loved ones behind.
the "small band of men" who went up against the building were just a squad and part of a larger element who had chased a terrorist into the building. There was media inside the building which is what stopped the assault and caused the standoff since they were feeding the terrorists rantings to Arab news.

The show did focus more on the fighting than the hours upon hours of nothing to do.

It will be on again tomorrow Backlash if you did care to see it for yourself.

(seems the most realistic part (to the guys who had been there)was at the end, when one of the soldiers sent a video email home to apologize to his wife for how things ended when he left, and she was in the bed fucking another guy.)

[Edited on 7-29-2005 by Dave]

07-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I understand now

"DAVID SWANSON is a co-founder of After Downing Street, a writer and activist, and the Washington Director of Democrats.com. He is a board member of Progressive Democrats of America, and serves on the Executive Council of the Washington-Baltimore Newspaper Guild, TNG-CWA. He has worked as a newspaper reporter and as a communications director, with jobs including Press Secretary for Dennis Kucinich's 2004 presidential campaign, Media Coordinator for the International Labor Communications Association, and three years as Communications Coordinator for ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now. Swanson obtained a Master's degree in philosophy from the University of Virginia in 1997."

Back
07-29-2005, 07:42 PM
As distrustful of the mainstream corporate media as I am at this point in time, and as much as I hate the idea of this war, I don’t think I’ll be able to see in any other light but negative.

Bocchio talks about how there is no identification of good guys or bad guys in the series. And maybe they did try... but think about the implications it has on the unsuspecting public.

But you are right, I should watch it. I have no problem being objective as far as story, character, acting and effects... because it is fictional. Its art imitating life and a good story/movie/TV Show/game can get you immersed IF its well executed.

I’ll try and catch it and give you my take on the technical things. Lord knows my opinion on the subject is concrete.

Back
07-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Dave
I understand now

And on the other side of the coin, T-Rex was right. FOX owns FX (http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/newscorp.asp).

Hulkein
07-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Terminator X
I saw advertisements for this. The F in FX stands for Fox.

Hence, I won't be watching it.

You show them TX!

07-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeah they own FX... Its their cable channel

I thought it was okay. The show didn't touch upon the good or bad of us being there in that sense. They even made a dig a abu garab in it. Its entertainment, not political propaganda, or so it seems.

07-30-2005, 08:04 PM
reshowing tonight on FX for those of you that didn't get a chance to see the first episode.

08-03-2005, 10:21 PM
"Over there" is on tonight watch it :)