PDA

View Full Version : Role-playing vs. Mechanics

Terminator X
07-08-2005, 02:00 AM
i am making this post because i have a question about my guy that i rp in the textbased mud known as gemstone
alright basically what i gots here is that i rp a profession that really isnt the class dat he is so we got some problems cuz i dont exactly be wearing the heavy armor that i should- i get fucked up too easily wearing robes- people getting heated just too easily because when they ask for spells gotta make up some slick shit about why i cant actually cast it up on em
what i gotta do now dat im gaining levels and its getting kinda strange to say i still aint got spells dat i aint never got a begin with? help a brother out!

Hulkein
07-08-2005, 02:28 AM
If they speak out give em a chin checkin, you reckon?

Fallen
07-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Im sorry, what was your question?

Nilandia
07-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Best I can come up with, though I'm not entirely certain, is that he is trying to play a character with a profession other than the mechanical one chosen. Evidently, the mechanical profession is either a semi or pure, since he mentions that he has to come up with a reason why can't cast spells on people. Instead, he's choosing to wear heavier armor than normally expected by the mechanics, but as he's gaining levels, his deviation from the norm is becoming more and more pronounced, and he's wondering what to do.

HOWEVER!

I could be wrong about what I read into it and he could be talking about something else entirely.

Nilandia

Michaelous
07-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Fallen
Im sorry, what was your question?

wahahahaha

sounds like a lawyer in compton

[Edited on 7-8-2005 by Michaelous]

Terminator X
07-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Hulkein
If they speak out give em a chin checkin, you reckon?
lol im just keeping it on the dl cuz its kinda fun to drop subtle shit in the game by maybe doin some kind a profession specific verb, trust, its live

no doubt fallen what nilandia speaks is the truth! so any ways dat i can keep it up and not have to bust slugs in some snitch would be preciated

Fallen
07-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Man.. I seriously cannot understand what you are attempting to convey.

Asha
07-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Fucking funny though.
Keep talking , man.

GS4-D
07-08-2005, 08:38 AM
I think he means that he plays a square, or a class that doesn't have the ability to know a lot of spells, and RPs a pure. To somewhat prove that he's a pure, he wears lighter armor, such as robes, to throw people off, but when he's asked for spells, he has to come up with an excuse as to why he can't cast them.

Anyways, that's how I somewhat RP my main character. I RP him as a war mage, and when people ask him for a particular wizard spell I would not know, I inform them that being a war mage my knowledge of spells is limited because I focused most of my training on being more physical, and then sub the spell they want with something 'similar' that I have knowledge of. (Ex. They want blurs, I'll give them colors, they want strength, I'd give them guidance)

Hope it helps.

Fallen
07-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Arcane Symbols, Magic Item Use, Mana Controls, Harness Power.

If you want to look like a pure, you have to train like one. Find scrolls, send mana for sorcerers to infuse them for you, and use those to spell others up. Have rangers make you a ton of HIGH embed rods, and have low level spells placed in them (101, 401, ect) A good ranger can make 80 mana rods. That is 80 "Spellups" you can give out per rod.

If they ask why you don't cast those spells directly, RP it.

ElanthianSiren
07-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Play the race card (that usually works).

Play the "I am anti social; leave me alone" card (that works when race card fails).

Play the, "I have no mana card."

If they try to send, play the, "Why would I want your inferior manna?" (See race card).

-M

disclaimer: all these behaviors will probably get you hated.

Terminator X
07-08-2005, 11:06 PM
yea , sometimes i randomly send mana to som n00b and then say oops, if it happens to much people might start getting wise
i'm a hunt fo some of them imbed rods yea

FinisWolf
07-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Well ...

... I completely dislike Terminator X here on the boards (namely do to the way he wishes to convey himself here) ...

... BUT, having interacted with his soul IG, he really does a GOOD job RP'ing, and RP'ing his psuedoWIZARD ...

Finis

Terminator X
07-10-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks, I think.

FinisWolf
07-10-2005, 08:10 AM
lol

... you kinda reacted the same way when I mentioned it OOC in whispers to you as well ...

Basically, the short of it is ... I can't stand how you post here on the boards ... I do however enjoy the way you RP your pseudoWIZARD ...

Hope that clarifies it for you.

Finis

[Edited on 7-10-2005 by FinisWolf]