PDA

View Full Version : Help please...

Raulin
07-06-2005, 12:45 AM
I've not played a ranger since first comeing to GemStone in '96. That was the first profession I ever played. With that in mind, I decided to give it another try. I know things have changed drastically since then. Any help on a path and/or stat placement. Here is my current skills and stats at level 2.

Name: Acorlin Race: Aelotoi Profession: Ranger (shown as: Ranger)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 80 (10) ... 80 (10)
Constitution (CON): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Dexterity (DEX): 91 (25) ... 91 (25)
Agility (AGI): 70 (20) ... 70 (20)
Discipline (DIS): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Aura (AUR): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Logic (LOG): 50 (5) ... 50 (5)
Intuition (INT): 90 (25) ... 90 (25)
Wisdom (WIS): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Influence (INF): 21 (-19) ... 21 (-19)
Mana: 15

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 10 2
Shield Use.........................| 30 6
Combat Maneuvers...................| 15 3
Edged Weapons......................| 30 6
Ambush.............................| 30 6
Physical Fitness...................| 15 3
Harness Power......................| 15 3
Survival...........................| 25 5
Stalking and Hiding................| 30 6
Perception.........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 2

Any help that I could get would be great!

Thanks,

Insodus
07-06-2005, 12:59 AM
At level 2 there isn't much you need to worry about. Hunt rats till you are 7 or 8, then nymphs, urghs, etc. Basically you shouldn't have to make specific training decisions yet. What you want to do now is build a general plan of training per level...

1x armor
1x shield use
max edged
1x manuevers
2x ambush
1x physical training
1x perception
2x hiding
1x harness power
1x ranger spells

Something like that.

As far as changes, basically all you need to know is, brawling is useless to archers and ambushers now. Aim from the open is based on perception and aim from hiding is based on ambush. Thats about it.

For combat manuevers, you might want to try surge, as it gives a pretty good AS benefit, or feint as it lowers the targets stance.

Drew
07-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Insodus

As far as changes, basically all you need to know is, brawling is useless to archers and ambushers now. Aim from the open is based on perception and aim from hiding is based on ambush. Thats about it.

For combat manuevers, you might want to try surge, as it gives a pretty good AS benefit, or feint as it lowers the targets stance.

Hate to correct you, but aiming from hiding is based on perception/ambush, aiming from the open is based on ambush/combat manuevers. And rangers don't have access to the surge CMAN. It'd be really nice if we did.

As far as your plan, looks pretty standard, you just need to fit some dodge in there, drop a CM or PT training every now and again so that all those skills are at about .8x level until you have more points (you'll probably stop armour training at 30 for brig which will free up points). Harness power should be equal to your level, so don't train in it at level 3.

For spells I'd probably go 601-613, 101-103, then 613-640 (see if you can squeeze in a few double trainings to grab up to 107, but it's not vital).

All in all it's really rather hard to screw up a ranger, it's a very versatile class. Good luck!

FinisWolf
07-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Can/would someone toss up a ranged ranger plan please ... the easiest one, since I have only tried it once, and hated it ... thought I would train again with my train 13 ranger.

Thanks

Finis

FinisWolf
07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
1x armor (to 30 for brig)

max ranged
1x manuevers
2x ambush
1x physical training
2x perception
2x hiding
1x harness power
1x ranger spells

I THINK I recall seeing something like this, but I can not recall for sure. Again, thank you.

Finis

Kenn
07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Insodus

Brawling is useful for a Voln ranger. I was a voln ranger until... level 55 I believe. My MB was higher than any other warrior / rogue's that I'd seen. Simply because I could remain unencumbered with 606 and 618 added a mega-fuckton to my MB. Not to mention lots of undead are uncritable or immune to punctures.

The reason I changed was I become more of a PVP player, I wanted to hit that 600+ AS as a Sylvan ranger.

IMO, ranged rangers are pretty damned powerful. Because of our ability to snipe (2x hiding, natural colors, sneaking, self-control) and a spell that hides us instantly plus a +30 AS bonus, we can hit high AS at relativly low levels. Not to mention that rangers are the only archers that have the ability to dodge and block attacks.

At 62, here's what my training plan looks like:

Important skills (ranked in order of importance to me):
Max ranged
Max hiding
Max perception
1x ambush
1x dodging
1x spells
1x CM's (shadow mastery / feint / sweep)
1x harness power
1x armor
1x physical training

Optional Skills
1x first aid
1x survival
misc MIU, climbing, swimming

Right now, as of level 62, I maintain a hunting AS of 390 out of hiding with a 3 second RT, and 420 AS sniping with a 4 second RT. (5x longbow, ebladed masterfully fletched arrows, CoL signs and a pure potion.)

The low RT is a result of 509 (the only non-self cast spell I have on as I enter Wyneb.)

I believe I have an ok DS of 318 in offensive self-spelled (no small statue and without AC guarding.) I still get whacked every once in a while though. My only complaint is my horribly low TD.

Drew
07-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Kenn
My only complaint is my horribly low TD.

Welcome to being a ranger, right?

Stunseed
07-06-2005, 10:20 PM
< Welcome to being a ranger, right? >

Preach it, brotha!!

Artha
07-06-2005, 10:30 PM
The reason I changed was I become more of a PVP player, I wanted to hit that 600+ AS as a Sylvan ranger.
Why on earth would you change from voln fu as a PvPer? There's nothing more overpowered than that ability.

Kenn
07-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Hunting options, higher AS, and I wanted CM's.

Edit: It's also been my understanding that Voln Fu no longer negates redux. Did I hear wrong?

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by Kenn]