PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Olympics

Miss X
07-06-2005, 08:41 AM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8476616/

Woohoo, London won the bid for the 2012 Olympics, beating (read: pwning) our friendly cross-channel friends Paris.

I think we need to give President Jacques Chirac a heart felt thanks, I think his pathetic jibes against the UK over the last week made the Olympic committee vote for us over France.

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Can the UK really afford the insane amount of money required to host a safe olympics?

Nieninque
07-06-2005, 08:47 AM
We are having a whip-round as we speak

Edited to add: hahahaha fuck you Chirac.

[Edited on 6-7-05 by Nieninque]

Parkbandit
07-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Congrats!

Not that I pay any attention to the Olympics...

HarmNone
07-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Heard that on the news this morning. Congratulations to the UK! :clap:

Asha
07-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Personally, I couldn't possibly care any less for the olympics.
I would have preferred france (no capital F for you) have all the litter to clean up afterwards.
Besides, the moment the french realised foreigners may have to come into their country, they freaked out and gave up trying to win the poll.

Atlanteax
07-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by theotherjohn
Can the UK really afford the insane amount of money required to host a safe olympics?

The UK is the most prosperous European country.

So I'd say yes.

Germany and France are leading the European recession, primarily due to their obselete social programs.

CrystalTears
07-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Thank GOD! I really didn't want it happening in Paris. Super sweet!

Miss X
07-06-2005, 09:00 AM
The Tennis is going to be held at Wimbledon OMG!! Only 7 years to go! (Holy shit, I just realised I'll be 30 then.)

Atlanteax
07-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Miss X
The Tennis is going to be held at Wimbledon OMG!! Only 7 years to go! (Holy shit, I just realised I'll be 30 then.)

You should be able to afford a walker by then, I'm sure? :saint:

Asha
07-06-2005, 09:05 AM
We have obsolete social programs?
:lol:
Am I included, since I'm obsolete?

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Atlanteax
[quote]

So I'd say yes.

I would say no

I think the cost of getting the boroughs in East London ready and the unknown cost of security will cause major problems.

Asha
07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
I hope whatever they use to stage the event will become another useless landmark!
Ooo so exciting. :yes:

Atlanteax
07-06-2005, 09:48 AM

[quote]

So I'd say yes.

I would say no

I think the cost of getting the boroughs in East London ready and the unknown cost of security will cause major problems.

Possibly. But the UK is the European country best equipped (out of all European countries) to handle such problems, whether it's financially, technology-involved, expertise, etc.

CrystalTears
07-06-2005, 09:57 AM
I have a feeling that London would be more hospitable to all the countries anyway. No one wants to deal with cheesy, winey French snobs for three weeks. :D

Atlanteax
07-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
I have a feeling that London would be more hospitable to all the countries anyway. No one wants to deal with cheesy, winey French snobs for three weeks. :D

I especially enjoy how Sardozy who is destined to be the next French president instead of the bumbling Chirac is of an Anglo-Saxon mindset and is endeavoring to end de Gaullism. He also wants to reform the French state away from the state-based economy and more towards the liberal economy of the US/UK.

An immeasurable amout of hot air is being deflated from the French ballon. :lol: :thumbsup:

StrayRogue
07-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Are you completely retarded. We pretty much just hosted the Commonwealth games, in complete safety I might add. Secondly don't whine about our security when its pretty much top notch, which is something you can't always say for certain other countries especially in their airports, for example.

[Edited on 6-7-05 by StrayRogue]

CrystalTears
07-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Ouch. Low blow.

StrayRogue
07-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Ouch. Low blow.

Sorry CT, but it is, or atleast was true. This whiney, bitter piece of shit has been raining on everyone's parade recently and I for one am sick of it. Perhaps if the retard had actually visited the area instead of reading about it on one of his neo-conservative news forums he'd actually learn something.

Atlanteax
07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue

Ouch. Low blow.

Sorry CT, but it is, or atleast was true. This whiney, bitter piece of shit has been raining on everyone's parade recently and I for one am sick of it. Perhaps if the retard had actually visited the area instead of reading about it on one of his neo-conservative news forums he'd actually learn something.

ToJ is a neo-conservative?

I am thinking otherwise. :?:

He would be all for the Brits otherwise.

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 11:12 AM

Are you completely retarded. We pretty much just hosted the Commonwealth games, in complete safety I might add.

2002 counts as just hosting?

perhaps you should stop being a little whiney bitch about my posts and start reading neo-conservative news forums to learn something

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 11:14 AM

He would be all for the Brits otherwise.

If not NY then England is a better choice than the other entries

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
[Sorry CT, but it is, or atleast was true. This whiney, bitter piece of shit has been raining on everyone's parade recently and I for one am sick of it. Perhaps if the retard had actually visited the area instead of reading about it on one of his neo-conservative news forums he'd actually learn something.

First off

Fuck you. Leave the PC if you dont like my posting style

Second

I was in England in Feb but I will make a deal with you

You never post about any place or thing unless you have done it in your worthless life and I will do the same

Some Rogue
07-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Stop it, you're ruining their Olympic Games experience.....er wait, nevermind.:smilegrin:

Edaarin
07-06-2005, 11:21 AM
France's claim to fame in the Olympics was the classic 2000 game against the "Dream Team III."

Nothing like Vince Carter's nuts in the face of your starting center.

StrayRogue
07-06-2005, 11:25 AM

[Sorry CT, but it is, or atleast was true. This whiney, bitter piece of shit has been raining on everyone's parade recently and I for one am sick of it. Perhaps if the retard had actually visited the area instead of reading about it on one of his neo-conservative news forums he'd actually learn something.

First off

Fuck you. Leave the PC if you dont like my posting style

Second

I was in England in Feb but I will make a deal with you

You never post about any place or thing unless you have done it in your worthless life and I will do the same

Yes because you have inside view on the crime rates in all area's of London. You have been to where each site is going to be and ran a thorough security evaluation on each. But you haven't, have you? Because you're a childish, bitter fucking cretin who'd do the world a favour if he was caught in a car bomb.

Secondly the common wealth games, and the success of their security, is only an indication on how it will be handled at the Olympics. If anything it will be more intense and better than 2002. So stop talking about shit you don't know about.

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 11:29 AM

Yes because you have inside view on the crime rates in all area's of London. You have been to where each site is going to be and ran a thorough security evaluation on each. But you haven't, have you?

So stop talking about shit you don't know about.

have you been to each site?

if not take your own advice and stop talking about stuff you dont know about

and idiot before you trolled to see what i was posting today. I was talking overall security not the cost to stop the crime in east London

StrayRogue
07-06-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm damn sure I'm more aware of the security issues there than you are, chum. And yes, I have been to each site. Not for a long time, but thats more than I can say for you. Overall you have no idea on the security issues that will and are going to be raised. You just used an oppurtunity to fucking do your bitter pill act by pissing all over a thread. Like you've been told in countless others, fuck off, go make some friends and do something with your pathetic little life.

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm damn sure I'm more aware of the security issues there than you are, chum.

really?

what is your job? I picked you to work in fast food

My job is company commander of a signal unit whose current mission is homeland defense. So please provide information to help me get smarter about security

StrayRogue
07-06-2005, 11:40 AM
And that makes you know what about the security of another country and one of its sports events? Um no. I'm afraid it doesn't. Homeland security? Does that mean you were too chicken shit to go and fight with the real men?

Miss X
07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Damn, can we have ONE thread that does not end up as a pissing contest please?

CrystalTears
07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Guys, please stop the bickering and keep it civil. If you have issues with posting styles, that's another problem and wish you'd keep it within U2Us.

Please keep it on topic and a bit more reasonable. Thanks.

Hulkein
07-06-2005, 11:50 AM
It's funny how the British are finally catching up to the French hating.

Took ya long enough.

Not really going to get in on the arguing, but my only input there would be if someone wanted to hijack planes in Britain in 2001, they could've.

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Does that mean you were too chicken shit to go and fight with the real men?

13 months in Iraq.

my phone is 706 829 2783. so anytime you want to meet face to face with this whiney little chicken shit let me know

Hulkein
07-06-2005, 11:52 AM
It's obvious he just says anything to get you riled up, don't let it get to you.

He called you on not being in England, you were there in February, that didn't change his posturing.

Saying you were there 13 months, he'll ask why were you not there longer or how did it feel killing innocent people.

Take it easy Toj, it's just a forum man.

Miss X
07-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Ok well thanks for playing. Anymore off topic posts will be removed.

xtc
07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

I would say French hating in England precedes French hating in America.

I am pleased to see that London is the recipient of the 2012 Olympics. Chirac's comments were petty and uncalled for. That said I have no issue with the French.

StrayRogue
07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by xtc

I would say French hating in England precedes French hating in America.

I am pleased to see that London is the recipient of the 2012 Olympics. Chirac's comments were petty and uncalled for. That said I have no issue with the French.

Heh it began long before the American's were much more than natives with spears.

Hulkein
07-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Oh, I know England and France have had their past. You two almost went to war.

It just seems recently you've been getting along a little too well.

I meant catching up in terms of the degree of it.

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by Hulkein]

xtc
07-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Oh, I know England and France have had their past. You two almost went to war.

It just seems recently you've been getting along a little too well.

I meant catching up in terms of the degree of it.

ALMOST? (I don't mean to pick on you)

StrayRogue
07-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Heh.

Hulkein
07-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm talking recent history, as in, when they weren't both monarchys. Stuff that would still have a lasting effect on how people felt about eachother. Everyone went to war back during monarchies, I don't know if people still care about it though.

Just look at America. We like England, who we were fighting against, and hate the French, who made it possible for us to become a nation of our own.

Weren't they on the brink of war during their African colonization? Edited to add - I remember what I was thinking of, the Fashoda Incident.

I heard that was the closest two free-voting nations ever got to going to war.

CrystalTears
07-06-2005, 01:10 PM
And now for something different and funny. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/comic_foxtrot/lft050706.gif

Latrinsorm
07-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Heh it began long before the American's were much more than natives with spears.We definitely did it better. We even hated guys whose NAME was French. What's up now?

As for the topic: W2G London, and someone get Miss X some Fixodent. :)

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Drayal
I hope whatever they use to stage the event will become another useless landmark!
Ooo so exciting. :yes:

From what I have read on my neo-con websites, Uk's strength was their plan to use existing landmarks and waterways for the events and their promise to spend 2.3 billion pounds (3.33 billion euros, 4.18 billion dollars) on the games

StrayRogue
07-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

Heh it began long before the American's were much more than natives with spears.We definitely did it better. We even hated guys whose NAME was French. What's up now?

As for the topic: W2G London, and someone get Miss X some Fixodent. :)

One word: Agincourt.

Latrinsorm
07-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Two words: Braveheart wannabes. ;)

HarmNone
07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Get on topic and stay on topic. This isn't about which country you love (or hate). This is about the upcoming Olympics being held in England. Can we discuss that, please?

theotherjohn
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Get on topic and stay on topic. This isn't about which country you love (or hate). This is about the upcoming Olympics being held in England. Can we discuss that, please?

Um I thought the topic was 2012 olympics which is all about the country you love kicking ass

xtc
07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
I am with theotherjohn, NYC lost the Olympic because it sucks.:bleh:

theotherjohn
07-07-2005, 07:42 AM

Are you completely retarded. We pretty much just hosted the Commonwealth games, in complete safety I might add. Secondly don't whine about our security when its pretty much top notch, which is something you can't always say for certain other countries especially in their airports, for example.

[Edited on 6-7-05 by StrayRogue]

Strayrogue

check out the link below then tell me if my post concerning security in London was just me being a whiney little bitch or perhaps a real concern?

http://www.forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=15985

sellout
07-07-2005, 07:46 AM
I was wondering how long it'd take you to point that out.

Asha
07-07-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm so angry at you for using the attack on London.
Everyone in the world knows security can be breached. Bombs can be sent through the air, in carrierbags and in/on a person.
The point is, people can only do their utter most to stop these things happening. The war on terror is not only to stop the killings, but to fight the terror itself.
We can't go around too scared to do something which brings us pride, such as these olympics.
Worked out well for you though , eh ToJ.

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by Drayal]

StrayRogue
07-07-2005, 08:49 AM
He's a dick, Drayal. What do you expect? As Hulkein correctly pointed out that if a terrorist organization wanted to do something, theres relatively little people can do about it when they are unaware. The difference is at 911 Bush was aware, he had been warned. The case is different here as we presently know. If you think that security won't be stepped up for a high line event such as the olympics, then you're more of a retard than I give you credit for, you fucking moron.

It just goes to prove that your probably were one of these gutless pricks who weren't on the front line facing any sort of danger. Those who are will tell you that it only takes a few dedicated men, religiously bent on killing others, to breach any sort of security the US army has set up in Iraq in order to bomb the shit out of people.

But yeah, I'll raise this post next time I mention your clusterfuck at 911 and get slammed for it.

[Edited on 7-7-05 by StrayRogue]

CrystalTears
07-07-2005, 08:56 AM
This is really not the time nor place to be discussing the semantics of whether or not any of this could have been prevented. Both countries have suffered losses, and what they do now to prevent future ones is more important right now.

Do not do this back and forth crap about terrorism, especially in this thread. Please? Thanks.

peam
07-07-2005, 09:13 AM
As CrystalTears said, that will be quite enough of the pissing contest.

Further off-topic posts will be removed, just like the past three.