PDA

View Full Version : Dual Weapon Selection/Debate

Back
07-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage

Originally posted by Keller
Are you going to join us on Dunemaul?

Or are you joining their server?

Do you know what class you're going to be?

Naw, probably not Dunemaul, they play on some other server (no idea what it was called. I think they all play alliance too.

As far as class, no idea, the dual weapon rogues look cool though, probably a dwarf or a gnome.

Good choice. You can even do a sword in your off-hand. Just try to get the speeds close. And when looking at swords make sure you don’t get one thats “main hand”.

For race, dunno but I went troll. Gnomes are fast and have a small target area so that may be a good Alliance choice.

As for professions, I went alchemy, but many say engineer is great.

SnatchWrangler
07-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Backlash
Just try to get the speeds close. And when looking at swords make sure you don’t get one thats “main hand”.

Why?

The slower the speed the better in your main hand. The faster the speed the better in your off-hand. What's the point in having the speeds 'close'?

And ignore the advice on "Don't use main hand only swords." Like I'd use my Krol Blade in any other hand regardless.

Back
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by SnatchWrangler

Just try to get the speeds close. And when looking at swords make sure you don’t get one thats “main hand”.

Why?

The slower the speed the better in your main hand. The faster the speed the better in your off-hand. What's the point in having the speeds 'close'?

And ignore the advice on "Don't use main hand only swords." Like I'd use my Krol Blade in any other hand regardless.

A rogue with a sword in the main hand means not being able to use some rogue skills.

Slower speed does mean more damage, faster means more chance of crit. At 40, I use dagger/sword with the speed off by .10 and do pretty well.

But obviously, I haven’t tried everything and I’m still at 40. Anything is doable (two mace) so thats just how I play.

SnatchWrangler
07-01-2005, 10:24 AM
A rogue with a sword in the main hand means not being able to use some rogue skills.

Slower speed does mean more damage, faster means more chance of crit. At 40, I use dagger/sword with the speed off by .10 and do pretty well.

But obviously, I haven’t tried everything and I’m still at 40. Anything is doable (two mace) so thats just how I play.

I have a dagger I use when I ambush or backstab. I rarely ever backstab unless it's PvE. I'll ambush when I find someone with less than 1/3 health, or if I find someone sitting and eating/drinking. Not sure if you were aware, but a sitting target is a 100% guaranteed chance to crit.

Off hand weapon, speed is the only thing that matters. Sure a faster weapon in your mainhand means you'll crit more often...BUT...just go under the assumption your mainhand weapon attack is instant. Ignore speed there. They basically are instant, assuming you have energy. 80% of your DPS is coming from your instant attacks (ambush, backstab, sinister strike, eviscerate). I'd much rather crit 3 times with Sinister Strike with my Krol than crit 5 times via normal swinging.

I basically am at two extremes. My mainhand (Krol Blade) is 2.80 seconds. My off-hand (Bonescraper) is 1.4 seconds. The main point of your off-hand being fast is basically just to have more chances to apply poison and added DPS.

StrayRogue
07-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I ambush/backstab with my dual daggers, then switch to dual swords in normal combat. With 50% extra off-hand damage with a sword, I do a shit load of damage.

Back
07-02-2005, 05:35 AM
WTF? I did not make this thread. Its not a bad thread though. But just to be clear, I did not make it.

So since we are on topic now, as a rogue I tend towards +power +hit weapons rather than +agil. All my gear too. Well, its a little of both. My biggest problem as a rogue is missing. Thats why I am going combat.

StrayRogue
07-02-2005, 09:40 AM
WTF? I did not make this thread. Its not a bad thread though. But just to be clear, I did not make it.

So since we are on topic now, as a rogue I tend towards +power +hit weapons rather than +agil. All my gear too. Well, its a little of both. My biggest problem as a rogue is missing. Thats why I am going combat.

Get agility. Agility for a rogue is so damn useful. It increases our chance to crit and dodge as well as our AC and the damage of our attacks.

Wezas
07-02-2005, 03:10 PM

You didn't make it - but it was the first off-topic post in a string of posts about dual wield. I thought making a new thread with the posts that went in that direction. A threw in a post in the other thread with a link to this thread, next time I'll throw a post into the new thread to say the same thing.

Cliff Notes: I'm abusing my powers, deal with it.

Back
07-02-2005, 04:01 PM
ABUSER! Heh, no problem it just freaked me out a little

Tsa`ah
07-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Duel weild the Flurry

http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=871

StrayRogue
07-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Theres a rogue talent that does the same.

Wezas
07-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
Duel weild the Flurry

http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=871

http://wow.allakhazam.com/images/fashion/FlurryAxe.jpg

That looks pretty bad ass. I need to start farming.

StrayRogue
07-02-2005, 10:28 PM
This is better:
http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?witem=17182

Artha
07-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I'll trade my first born for that hammer.

Wezas
07-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Artha
I'll trade my first born for that hammer.

You already traded him for that Hot Fudge Sundae, remember?

Second born.

Artha
07-02-2005, 11:50 PM
My bad. Second born.

Parkbandit
07-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I do the same thing Strayrogue does now.. I switch from duel daggers to duel swords after the initial attack. I was surprised on how much more damage I deal that way.

Now I just need to make a new main hand sword for him...

Parkbandit
07-03-2005, 08:24 AM
As for professions, I went alchemy, but many say engineer is great.

LOVE my engineering rogue. The gadgets.. it's ALL about the gadgets. A gnome engineer fucking rocks.

Rocket boots.
NET-O-MATIC has gotten me more HKs than anything.
Parachute Cloak.
Belt shield.
Attack Dragonkin
Attack Chickens! (I need to make me one of these)
Explosive sheep - only does like 200 damage.. but it's a sheep man! A FUCKING SHEEP BOMB!
Bombs and mines.
Mind control helmet
Underwater breathing helmet
You can raise the dead with the jumper cables
Deathrays

Potions are probably more practical.. but who cares. Engineering is fun as shit. And no one lives down getting blowed up by farm animals.. huh Toj!

StrayRogue
07-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Alchemy is the way in the end. Making stuff that ups your agility by 50 for an hour is stuff the tip of the iceberg. I went tailor/enchant for the money (though it hasn't come in yet) and because I'd done it on AD.

Parkbandit
07-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Alchemy is the way in the end. Making stuff that ups your agility by 50 for an hour is stuff the tip of the iceberg. I went tailor/enchant for the money (though it hasn't come in yet) and because I'd done it on AD.

Thing is though.. I can buy any potion I want. Gold is almost meaningless at end game.. so I will have it to burn.

You have to be an engineer to use the engineering stuff.. which makes it unique.

It's the best skill by far.

Back
07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Ok, why start with dual daggers rather than dagger/sword? Im going to try what you guys are suggesting, switching to dual swords after the initial attack, when I find another good main or one hand sword.

Parkbandit
07-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Ok, why start with dual daggers rather than dagger/sword? Im going to try what you guys are suggesting, switching to dual swords after the initial attack, when I find another good main or one hand sword.

The macro I have swaps both weapons out for 2 weapons in your pack. My preference is to only swap my main hand out.. from dagger to sword... but I haven't edited the macro yet.

I switch immediately after an ambush.. so I could have a sandwich in my off hand and it wouldn't make a difference.

Back
07-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I see why now. With Ambush the off hand does not strike. Im usually doing cheapshot/backstab and both those attack do allow for the offhand to hit.

Interesting to note too that cheapshot does not require a dagger but ambush and backstab do.

Parkbandit
07-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I see why now. With Ambush the off hand does not strike. Im usually doing cheapshot/backstab and both those attack do allow for the offhand to hit.

Interesting to note too that cheapshot does not require a dagger but ambush and backstab do.

Yea.. kinda stupid if you ask me.

And once I initiate the fight with either cheapshot or ambush.. I'll just stick to 2 swords. The SS gives me good damage and it's not worth switching back and forth with backstabbing unless you have talents for improved backstab.

Next level for Stabbed is 44.. and Bayne can make a pretty solid main hand sword. I've been toying with the idea of going with mace.. and make the Shatterer for Stabbed. There just seems to be more swords than maces.. and I see Stabbed as a hack and slasher... silent and deadly.

Tsa`ah
07-03-2005, 12:26 PM

Why burn the stam using it though?

Then there's always dual enchanting them with life steal or crusader ... which stacks.

StrayRogue
07-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah

Why burn the stam using it though?

Then there's always dual enchanting them with life steal or crusader ... which stacks.

Well for one theres better weapons out there with more useful procs. Secondly the talent procs better than that axe, thirdly rogues can't use axes and fourthly its talent points that may as well be spent on the skill if you're going for a combat build.

Back
07-03-2005, 01:57 PM
On the whole alchemy thing for rogues, I like the skill because I like seeing 5+ buffs and it sort of goes hand in hand with poison. At least with herbalism you are never down on fade leaf for blinding powder and thistle weed for thistle tea.

It lets me make potions for my guildmates. I've only scratched the surface at 290. Magic protection, holy magic protection, all kinds of pretty useful things. But from what it sounds like I could get rich selling them in the endgame.

SnatchWrangler
07-03-2005, 02:09 PM
It lets me make potions for my guildmates. I've only scratched the surface at 290. Magic protection, holy magic protection, all kinds of pretty useful things. But from what it sounds like I could get rich selling them in the endgame.

Amazingly enough...the herbs sell for more than the potions.

I'm shocked at how much Icecap sells for. It's basically one of two herbs in Winterspring, and I'd say a stack of 4 of them sell for 2-3g a piece. I'm guessing it for all of those enchanters that want to do the Icy Chill enchant...they're not herbalists.

I'm herbalism/skinning, to help the guildies out. I get pretty much all the potions I ever need made for me by Keilum.

Hulkein
07-03-2005, 02:15 PM
I've used my net gun twice, so far it's netted me and missed.

It was against test critters though, so I'm not disappointed yet.

This thing better pin down the first pos alliance member I see.

Artha
07-03-2005, 02:17 PM
If you want a really expensive herb, Wildvine (vendor price: 5c) sells for a couple gold for a stack of 4.

Wezas
07-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Man, I had a ton of wildvine at one point. I think it dropped kind of regularly from the headsplitters (or troll-looking similar ones) in STV.

Parkbandit
07-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
I've used my net gun twice, so far it's netted me and missed.

It was against test critters though, so I'm not disappointed yet.

This thing better pin down the first pos alliance member I see.

You are going to love it when it works.. ala Stabbed vs the running Paladin last night. Without that, he would have been gone.

You are going to hate it.. like the time in BG when it netted me and the flag carrier got away.

Artha
07-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the STV trolls drop it pretty well.