PDA

View Full Version : Bush says US to double Africa aid

Back
06-30-2005, 10:43 AM
This may be the best thing this president has done. I haven’t corroborated with any other sources yet, but will be as the day progresses.

Bush says US to double Africa aid (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/in_depth/4638323.stm)

Thursday, 30 June, 2005, 14:30 GMT 15:30 UK

Bush says US to double Africa aid
President George W Bush has said the US will double its aid to Africa over the next five years.

Speaking ahead of next week's G8 summit in Scotland, Mr Bush said the world stood to benefit from prosperity and stability on the African continent.

Mr Bush said Africa's leaders must carry out reforms in order to achieve economic progress.

He also said there should be a new concern for environmental protection in the face of global warming.

Atlanteax
06-30-2005, 11:10 AM
The money should be spend on US citizens instead, IMO.

Part of the aid is to help fight poverty in terrorism-friendly areas, so I guess that'll be of some use.

Drew2
06-30-2005, 11:26 AM
You know why? Because of Brad Pitt.

One.org. (http://www.one.org)

Wezas
06-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Tayre
You know why? Because of Brad Pitt.

One.org. (http://www.one.org)

You and your friggin bracelets.

Back
06-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Text (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/06/20050630.html) of Bush speech today on G8 summit and progress in Africa.

06-30-2005, 07:39 PM
BOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Hell id rather they give the money to the poor here, and you all know how bad I am about giving money to poor people.

Back
06-30-2005, 07:43 PM
And here I thought I would be the better man and post something I thought Bush did was right. Turns out its something the Bushies don’t agree with. I just can’t win!

06-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Sorry backlash, just proof that I dont always agree.

Back
06-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Very good point, Dave.

06-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Granted it is rare, because I honestly agree with many of the policies that the current administration put fourth because of my own convictions and not just because I'm a "republican."

Anebriated
06-30-2005, 09:21 PM
I think its great that America is helping out, double is excessive though. African countries are already in better shape as most of their debt has been reduced to nothing. They pretty much have a clean slate with decent funding. Use the rest of the money to get our own economy/workforce back in order.

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by Elrodin]

DeV
07-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Elrodin
I think its great that America is helping out, double is excessive though. African countries are already in better shape as most of their debt has been reduced to nothing. They pretty much have a clean slate with decent funding. Use the rest of the money to get our own economy/workforce back in order.

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by Elrodin] I think double is excessive as well, but mainly because the corruption in the governments of African countries is so widespread that its hard for me personally to know how that aid is distributed and utilized. I know they need it desparately though; thousands dying a day from under-nourishment. :sigh:

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by DeV]

Keller
07-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Off topic but I wonder how many americans die of mal-nourishment a day?

I know Harmnone will find this link for me, right?

07-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by DeV

Originally posted by Elrodin

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by Elrodin] I think double is excessive as well, but mainly because the corruption in the governments of African countries is so widespread that its hard for me personally to know how that aid is distributed and utilized. I know they need it desparately though; thousands dying a day from under-nourishment. :sigh:

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by DeV]
which is the exact reason I am against it and look at it as a waste. When they get their act together and it will do some good yes, until then, nope.

Gan
07-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Its a nice gesture, and the aid is needed; however I think the corrupt leadership over there will find a way to turn it into more chaos in the long run.

Nieninque
07-01-2005, 06:15 PM
As opposed to the corrupt leadership in the US :rolleyes:

Back
07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque
As opposed to the corrupt leadership in the US :rolleyes:

And lets make that a marker. No matter what type of government you try to run, corruption is the killer, not the ideology.

TheEschaton
07-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I'd like to see the breakdown of where the money is ACTUALLY going. 55% of the 15 billion dollars "going to Africa" under the President's Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief actually goes to the pharmaceutical companies to subsidize the costs of producing antiretroviral drugs (which are ridiculously overpriced) - I wouldn't be surprised if this was similar.

Why would it be? When Bush cronies head these efforts, like the Global AIDS Coordinator, who is a contributor to the Bush campaign, and, cooincidently, the former chairman of Eli Lilly.

As for corruption in Africa - yeah, it sucks. And to tell you the truth - the funding restrictions on this money has left us unable to fund many of our core programs, while we have tens of thousands extra for programs which are nice, yeah, but not so effective without the other programs (IE, abstinence programs without condom programs, etc). That's probably just me, though, because the NGO I work for is also affiliated with the Catholic Church, who've been more staunchly anti-condom than Bush has.

-TheE-

IorakeWarhammer
07-31-2010, 11:38 PM

Rocktar
08-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Holy necro a dead ass thread to distract people from your idiotic fevered rantings bat brain!

IorakeWarhammer
08-01-2010, 08:28 AM
<jiggle>