PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Archers, any suggestions

kranfer
06-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I am thinking about fixskills to be an archer. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I should train? My rogue is level 40, and I know I can max out ranged, but I dunno what else might be involved. Any suggestions on a training scheme?

StrayRogue
06-30-2005, 09:31 AM
2x ranged, armor, ambush, perception, hide, dodge.
1x pt, cm

Do that and you'll be solid.

Tromp
06-30-2005, 09:32 AM
2x ambush
2x perception
2x stalk/hide
2x ranged
1x-2x Dodge

those are the basics. good thing about rogues is that you can train in CMs. Rangers trade off the CMs with spells.

Tromp
06-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
2x ranged, armor, ambush, perception, hide, dodge.
1x pt, cm

Do that and you'll be solid.

Damn you beat me to it!

Hips
06-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Tromp
Rangers trade off the CMs with spells.

Not all of us...

Anebriated
06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Not all of us...

No but generally the archers don't.

Hips
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Elrodin

Not all of us...

No but generally the archers don't.

Due to lack of TPs? I'm just curious because I remember when Michiko was an archer somehow I worked it out that she had both, and I've been contemplating changing her back.

Anebriated
06-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Its possible but generally the points are better off going elsewhere as the CM doesn't help for anything other than the maneuvers. I know I put my spare points in brawling once I covered my archery skills.

Are you going Voln or COL kranfer?

StrayRogue
06-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I'd only go brawling if I was a ranger.

Anebriated
06-30-2005, 10:13 AM
I say it depends more on society choice moreso than class. Also depends on what you want your character to do.

StrayRogue
06-30-2005, 10:14 AM
The ranger spell bonus to brawling would mean I'd go brawl/voln. Its not as important for a rogue who can use other CM's to their advantage or pick up a second weapon skill all together (like edged etc). Voln doesn't really benefit rogues.

Gizmo
06-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Question is, do you want a Rogue whose focus is purely on archery/combat? Or do you want quite a bit of secondary skills as well like MIU etc.

Stunseed
06-30-2005, 11:41 AM
< The ranger spell bonus to brawling would mean I'd go brawl/voln. >

If I'd went in Voln, I would do exactly as Stay has said. 2x PF, 2x armor til at least 70 ranks, 2x brawl and be a beast.

As a Rogue, I'd get 60 ranks of CM, enough to master Shadow Mastery, and either Feint/Disarm barehanded.

Gan
06-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Here's my stats when I was an archer rogue... I'll also post the link where some good discussions of rogue types have taken place. The pure power of an archer rogue is amazing but its not quick. I was able to defeat a Krolvin Brigand during an IMT invasion with arrows to the eye whereas I doubt I could have touched him with a blade and lived to see him fall. He's still on my strongest foe list as a matter of fact. The only downside is that I was unable to pick boxes (which is a must now that I"m in areas where the boxes are worth picking) and that hunting with a cross bow can be cumbersome during swarms where you're getting attacked from multiple positions.

Originally posted by Ganalon
This is Ganalon's skill training. I've dumped the boxpicking and gone pure hunter... My boxes are picked by a better/older picker than I am/could be anyways.

Ganalon (at level 58), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 140 40
Shield Use.........................| 220 120
Combat Maneuvers...................| 160 60
Edged Weapons......................| 220 120
Ranged Weapons.....................| 220 120
Ambush.............................| 220 120
Physical Fitness...................| 158 58
Dodging............................| 187 87
Magic Item Use.....................| 58 12
Harness Power......................| 20 4
Stalking and Hiding................| 280 180
Perception.........................| 280 180
Climbing...........................| 130 35
Swimming...........................| 50 10
Pickpocketing......................| 220 120

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 2

I tried the 1x shield route and got tired of getting my arse handed to me when I hunted with more than one target in the room since metal armor isn't the optimal armor anymore (I now use FGB). The archery allows firing from the shadows and, with targets that aren't impervious to arrows, allows me to hunt up a little. Ganalon can hunt the Blighted Forest with ease, Mages with a ~70% survival rate, and can hunt Stronghold at an ~80% survival rate... (would be higher if the damn things weren't made of stone). This is with a 6x shield, a 6x light crossbow, and 5x blades.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=6782&page=1

http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=9442

Edited to add: I've gone back to 3x picking and OHE/1x shield while wearing MBP and I perform very well for my ripe old age of 72 in the Tower. I miss being able to fire a bolt from hiding but I remind myself that everytime I pick a lock on a box with 4k coins in it in addition to the high end gems one can get from the tower and OTF.

[Edited on 6-30-2005 by Ganalon]

StrayRogue
06-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Metal armor pwns FGB is what I should have posted back then.

AnticorRifling
06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
A rogue that trains for leather dies in leather.

Gan
06-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I'll never put Ganalon back in leather armor... period.

Jolena
06-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Hmm..Jolena uses FGB and I do pretty well for now. I've heard though that I'll most likely have to move up past that even with the forthcoming hiding changes, if I want to do well in say OTF or Rift.

Gan
06-30-2005, 07:02 PM
If you expect to hunt the temple in Illistim you'd better be in metal. Supplicants with their focused mstrike/2handed weapons will eat leather like it was breakfast.

As you get older, you're ability to take a hit and survive will get more and more dependant on metal. Also having the -18 TD to spirit spells being cast with MBP is a nice bonus.

I gave my FGB to my empath where its better used.

Artha
06-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Don't be one, that's my suggestion.