PDA

View Full Version : Hustle & Flow

Makkah
06-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Anyone else think this movie looks fucking killer? Might just be the M-Town rap fan in me... but looks fairly true to life and not some lame ass glorification of necessary evils.

http://www.hustleandflow.com/

Beats were made and rhymes were ghost-written by Memphis legend Al Kapone. Directed by John Singleton. Soundtrack is hosted by TI and PSC... should be a good one.

Stunseed
06-26-2005, 11:00 PM
I'll definately be seeing it when it comes out.

Sean
06-26-2005, 11:00 PM
I actually saw the full preview for it the other night, and it looked like something I'd be interested in seeing. Although the kid from road trip was kind of annoying.

Edaarin
06-26-2005, 11:02 PM
<stiff white guy>

For shizzle

</stiff white guy>

Warriorbird
06-26-2005, 11:03 PM
The people at Sundance seemed to love it. Biggest sale ever there.

theotherjohn
06-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
should be a good one.

sounded good till I read the cast

DJ Qualls, Ludacris, and Anthony Anderson making a redemptive story of a Memphis hustler?

edit to add Memphis. Go VOLS!!!!!

[Edited on 6-27-2005 by theotherjohn]

AnticorRifling
06-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Ahhhh shit I'm gonna have to clean my fronts for this one. Hell I might even iron my white tee look out kid!

Warriorbird
06-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Eh. It's pretty much Howard who does all the acting from what I hear, TOJ.

Makkah
06-26-2005, 11:12 PM
<<edit to add Memphis. Go VOLS!!!!! >>

Um... that'd be Knoxville. Go Tigers! (har... I'm from Chattanooga... so... Go Mocs?)

AnticorRifling
06-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Tennessee...at least we ain't Kentucky!

theotherjohn
06-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
<<edit to add Memphis. Go VOLS!!!!! >>

Um... that'd be Knoxville. Go Tigers! (har... I'm from Chattanooga... so... Go Mocs?)

all from the Great State of Tennessee

Hopefully, Howard does do all the acting. I have not seen a good movie in a long time.

I was looking forward to War of the Worlds but Tommy C has soured me on that.

Sean
07-23-2005, 10:37 PM
The 8Mile of the south. It was an entertaining watch atleast.

Makkah
07-24-2005, 11:13 AM
So it was decent? I've heard really great reviews still. 3.5 out of 4 by like NY Times or some shit. We're goin this week sometime.

Sean
07-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Yea it was decent. It's a little disjointed. Not that it's hard to follow but they just didn't transition that well between scenes. The acting, in my opinion, went from good to bad depending on the scene and the character. At times I found myself really into the movie and then others (mainly whenever people started crying) I was like ... kill me. But you gotta take the bad with the good. At times it was a little gratuitous but as a guy I'm not complaining.

Basically Howard, much like Eminem, plays a guy struggling through life peddling weed and ass to make ends meet, instead of stamping bumpers, living in lower end nashville, instead of 8mile. Anthony Anderson plays a guy whose kind of stuck where he is, he has a good life, good wife, but never achieved his goals of having his own studio and making it on his own, not too unlike Mehki in 8mile whose stuck doing underground shows. They help each other in trying to make their individual dreams happen. But anyway I think Ludacris actually does a really good job with his role in the film, and combined with Howard and Anderson they are atleast worth watching. The one criticism I've heard but don't really know anythign about because I'm not from the south is that people didn't like the accents or felt stereotyped by the film. I didn't pick up on it.

But if you have some time to kill, go see. I wouldn't expect oscar gold though, but at the same time I wouldn't expect a razzie either.

Makkah
07-24-2005, 11:50 AM
<< living in lower end nashville>>

Memphis.

But yea, just seeing clips, Terrance Howard went a bit too far with the accent. It ain't all that bad down here. From the songs he did on the soundtrack and movie clips, it sounds like they did a really awesome job with brushin Howard up on the M-town slang. There's a few "lemon lames" "sap sucka" shit like that. And a shitload of "mane"s. I saw Howard talkin about it on Leno, and he said he actually interviewed like 100 pimps in Memphis to get into the role.

Sean
07-24-2005, 11:55 AM
One of the interesting things to me was that sort of in the same way Tarintino does it, you can't really place when exactly the film takes place. Sometimes it feels like the 80s and sometimes it feels like 05. Although in one of the songs he mentions that he wasn't supposed to make it to the new millennium so I guess technically it's supposed to be somewhat current, it just doesn't always feel that way.

Makkah
07-24-2005, 12:01 PM
I found myself actually wondering WHEN it took place. In one of the songs he mentions somethin like "crunk juice" and grey goose which made me think it was fairly recent. But as far as the LOOK of it, I really couldn't decide when it was...

Terminator X
07-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Ain't that the hysterical motherfucker who did that parody of Eminem's "8 Mile," in Scary Movie III? I can't see him in a role like this without cracking a smile.

Sean
07-24-2005, 12:12 PM
No, Simon Rex is the guy who parodied Eminem in Scary Movie 3. Anthony Anderson parodied Mekhi Phifer character, future, in Scary Movie 3 though.

Terminator X
07-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Sorry I meant Anthony Anderson, who absolutely plays Key in Hustle & Flow. He was most definately in Scary Movie 3, too.

http://i.imdb.com/mptv1.gif

"Shit, my aunt Shaneequa used to live over there! But that bitch got evicted though.."
"What for?"
"Mice."
"I thought she had rats?"
"Nah, rats are out side, mice are inside.."
"But what if a mouse goes outside does it become a rat, and if a rat is in the house, is it a mouse?"
"I ain't seen no mouse outside. That's what I'm sayin'."
"That's cause it's a rat, fool!"
"Damn! You might'a just made a real fact. That's some *real* shit right there, homie! A-HAAaa!"