PDA

View Full Version : Ebon's Gate 2005: Free to All

Apotheosis
06-26-2005, 10:24 AM
I just noticed this, umm, not sure if it's already been discussed.. but I went to Ebon's last year, and it was pretty fun, so, I guess it's kinda cool that they're making it free to all this year.

From the GS website:

Ebon Gate 2005: How scary? So scary that it's FREE.
That's right! The popular Ebon Gate festival will be opened to all players at no charge this year. Stay tuned for more info and be sure to keep your calendars open over the Halloween weekend!

StrayRogue
06-26-2005, 10:26 AM
It'll be overcrowded. And considering EG is usually overcrowded normally...well I'm not too excited. I'm glad its free, I mean I won't feel bad about not going like I would if I bought the ticket, but meh.

Apotheosis
06-26-2005, 10:28 AM
This also means the Dhu must have been really, really, successful for them.

StrayRogue
06-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Or they're just too lazy to write up a new free festival this year.

Gan
06-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue

Thats got my vote.

Ilvane
06-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Hell, I'll take one for free..we don't get a lot of that lately.

-A

Kitsun
06-26-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm hoping they ramp it up to equal Spitfire craziness with the oodles of merchants and raffles and stuff.

If this EG resembles past ones in name only, I'll be happy. I stopped paying for it for a reason, darnit.

Miss X
06-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I'm glad it's free this year because I was not planning on paying to go after last years EG. It's my least fave of all the fests so going for free rather than paying is cool. :)

theotherjohn
06-26-2005, 12:40 PM
just means the GS populace can spend more money for silver

06-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Overcrowded? No more than it usually is. My prediction is that we'll see roughly the same crowd due to the shrinking GS population. I'm glad it is free and that Simu is giving a free festivel. If it wasn't for the company last year, I definately would have regretted going.

- Arkans

PS: Wasn't this supposed to be like a SimuCon gift?

Praefection
06-26-2005, 01:44 PM
From what I've heard people who went to the Con get in a week earlier and they get special merchants and such.

Snapp
06-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I hope this doesn't mean it will be extra lame. I was pretty disappointed last year... although, a lot of that was my fault for not having time.

mgoddess
06-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I think it's just the GM's way of slacking off and not actually going with the free festival in September like was first planned, and just making the annual (always planned) EG free and open to all...

hectomaner
06-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by mgoddess
I think it's just the GM's way of slacking off and not actually going with the free festival in September like was first planned, and just making the annual (always planned) EG free and open to all...

they are working on a lot of stuff, and have done a lot of stuff this year so far. i'd hardly consider it them being lazy. would you really want a burnt out crew of merchants at 2 events, rather than 1 event that is more quality than the 2 together?

TheRoseLady
06-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner

they are working on a lot of stuff, and have done a lot of stuff this year so far. i'd hardly consider it them being lazy. would you really want a burnt out crew of merchants at 2 events, rather than 1 event that is more quality than the 2 together?

Really you aren't going to start this nonsense that no September event was ever promised on here are you Hecto?

StrayRogue
06-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm not shocked they haven't delivered. Just like half the stuff they mentioned at Simucon last year ("which will be out in the next months!!!") is ironically all the stuff they've been raving about this year.

ElanthianSiren
06-26-2005, 05:05 PM
I like free events. I don't think you should underestimate what a single GM can do either. Khal ran A LOT (I want to say a majority) of the premium only festival.

Had a ton of fun there (didn't get a tattoo though sadly!); if they bring in scarring, more piercing, and branding with this, I'll be as happy as a clam.

-Melissa

Vesi
06-26-2005, 05:43 PM
I wonder if they will make it so only one of your characters can attend. I know it's free but it still might have that check at the gate about using a certain character to enter.

Vesi

Miss X
06-26-2005, 05:48 PM
I read on the forums that there will not be a one character only restriction, which is good news. :)

OreoElf
06-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
:yeathat:

I'm a firm believer in that and they're pretty "burnt" out from the wavedancer I'm told... I'm sure the drinking at simucon tired them out too :P

Kitsun
06-26-2005, 05:59 PM
It was supposed to be the damn Juggernaut this year too. Blast I say, blast!

My comings and goings have always had me gone for Jug appearances. Gives me something to look foward to next year at least.

hectomaner
06-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by TheRoseLady

Really you aren't going to start this nonsense that no September event was ever promised on here are you Hecto?

it wouldnt be an issue if people were smart enough to realize that something on a list of GOALS for the year is what they HOPE to do, not stuff they PROMISE to do.

TheRoseLady
06-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
Had a ton of fun there (didn't get a tattoo though sadly!); if they bring in scarring, more piercing, and branding with this, I'll be as happy as a clam.

-Melissa

Well you already know that I won't get a tattoo. :lol: Seems that I never fail to get in line somewhere and guess what? They are doing tattoos! One service I just don't want. I'll give mine to you.

Ilvane
06-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I think it's great they are offerring it for free..I don't think it's about laziness so much.

Sometimes complaints come when they try to do something nice..:lol:

-A

Amber
06-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, I'm kinda bummed, as it's been well over a year since the Spitfire and I was looking forward to a free event of that caliber again. It would be nice if there were regular yearly festivals which were always scheduled for the same time, as happens in real life. The state fair is always the last week of August, for example. Gives you something to look forward to, ya know?

On the other hand, I did think it was odd that they'd have the free event and Ebon's Gate so close together. A week of one, while exciting and fun, kinda leaves me feeling a bit burned out afterwards, so I'd probably have skipped Ebon's Gate following so closely on the heels of the other.

Last point, calling Ebon's Gate, or any event, a free event, is really rather a misnomer, as we pay to play. Whether we attend or not, our monthly fees pay for the free event too.

TheRoseLady
06-26-2005, 06:45 PM
it wouldnt be an issue if people were smart enough to realize that something on a list of GOALS for the year is what they HOPE to do, not stuff they PROMISE to do.

You know, that September event was used as an excuse at to why they wouldn't do another WD run in Prime. I can't remember a merchant event (big) ever planned that was nixxed like the September event.

I don't mind, really. EG is not really my cup of tea - but I don't miss pay events - so I went, and I'll go to this one.

I think it was reasonable to assume that the event was going to happen. :shrug:

mgoddess
06-26-2005, 07:23 PM

Yes, I know they're working on a lot of stuff this year...I appreciate everything they've done so far to improve the game (except for the, what was it, 3? runs of the Wavedancer?)...

I think if they had had one less run of the wavedancer, they could accomadate the free festival that was supposed to be in early september, they would not have had to make EG free...

I guess maybe they just realized that the three runs of the wavedancer were popular enough (and probably paid tons more then what EG would ever make) that maybe they didn't need to actually have to pay-ticket EG, so EG suddenly replaced the freebie festival slated for Sept.

Meh, I'm rambling. Whatever...I'm always happy for free festivals, and if the GM's aren't burnt out anymore when EG comes around, hopefully we'll get some good things going (not to mention that that's two more months worth of silver-hunting time till the festival!).

SpunGirl
06-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I'd like to see another Ilyan Cloud.... it was the fest that was open to premium members only. That was awesome. I always go to EG, and I'm sure it'll be fine.

-K

Kitsun
06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
I think if they had had one less run of the wavedancer, they could accomadate the free festival that was supposed to be in early september, they would not have had to make EG free...

I'm not sure if one less run really would've had much of an impact. I mean all the shops were done, QC is over, quests are written, etc.

Running the merchants and holding the quests definately take effort but no where near the level of coming up with an entirely new event complete with areas, shop inventory, approval for nifty items, more etc.

Sweets
06-26-2005, 07:43 PM
I am happy to see Simu offer EG free. I always have fun at Ebon and love the fact I won't have to dish out extra cash. It's nice that others who couldn't/wouldn't pay out the extra bucks get to experience it as well.

Color me tickled pink. Yay Simu.

Fengus
06-27-2005, 01:00 AM
This is coming from the perspective of a casual player. The only reason I was keeping my account active was to see a big event in September. I was wowed when I created an account when gs4 rolled out with the Spitfire, but now I am seeing that was a rarity and gs4 is not much different than gs3. I liked running around with dracula fangs and a blackity blackness cloak as much as the next guy, when I was 13, so dropping the Sept event and replacing it with EG has lost my interest completely.

Also being more wise I don't buy into everything I hear a company tell me, actually I believe very little about a buisness or company unless its coming from an impartial third source. From what a few people have voiced here, it seems to me that making EG free is because the concept as a reoccuring pay festival is obviously boring and not making enough money for them. Opening it up to everyone allows them to reuse the infrastructure and theme of the event again this year, but give it to everyone. And as others have said, this isn't really free or a gift, we pay Simu and they are a buisness.

Czeska
06-27-2005, 09:14 AM
I look at it this way. It'll be something different to do for a couple days, no extra cash involved, and if I'm not having fun, I can ditch it and go hunt without feeling bad for wasting more money.

I say :socool:

Asha
06-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah Czeska.
And when the feature alterers totally pass by the person who was waiting the longest, they can say ''We's owez yous nothingz!!''
And later, when we say ''Can we have a really good quality event?''
They can say ''Noez you've already had Ebons and it was FREE omg!!''

Woohoo.
:mad:

[Edited on 6-27-2005 by Drayal]

Czeska
06-27-2005, 09:24 AM
It's the people who make or break events like this for me. Maybe you're just hanging out with the wrong crowd ;)

Nauriel
06-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
Yeah Czeska.
And when the feature alterers totally pass by the person who was waiting the longest, they can say ''We's owez yous nothingz!!''
And later, when we say ''Can we have a really good quality event?''
They can say ''Noez you've already had Ebons and it was FREE omg!!''

Woohoo.
:mad:

hahaha who needs alters when we have Shimmerain?:D ok going to go hide from flying fruit now...:lol:

[Edited on 6-27-2005 by Nauriel]

4a6c1
06-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Oh lovely. This should be interesting.

I anticipate.
Lots.
Of pies.

ps. fear my RHUBARB

:flames:

Toxicvixen
06-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I didn't go to last year's ebons, but I guess I will run through this one because its free. I won't expect any alters since everyone and thier brother is going to be there, but I am not complaining since after 2 runs of WD I accumulated more then my fair share. :D It will be fun to go to an event and not half to waste a portion of my paycheck. Plus having my cheap friends being able to come will be fun as well.