PDA

View Full Version : Bards.

Warriorbird
05-30-2003, 10:42 PM
And once again, 1025 gets delayed. Anyone surprised?

What do you think the GMs need to do to REALLY fix Bards?

Parkbandit
06-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Bards aren't broken and certainly 1 song won't change anything that dramatically that poof.. they are now 'fixed'.

Anyone who believes bards are 'broken' either doesn't have one or doesn't know how to play one.

Warriorbird
06-02-2003, 10:44 AM
I have no trouble with my elven polearmer. Kind've fun, even. It's all the edged users I hear having problems, and whether you like it or no, that IS an encouraged path.

Parkbandit
06-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
I have no trouble with my elven polearmer. Kind've fun, even. It's all the edged users I hear having problems, and whether you like it or no, that IS an encouraged path.

My bard too is polearm trained. I simply feel that it gives him an advantage over an edged using bard.

If a bard wants to train in edged weapons.. he best be adding in some ranks of hiding/ambushing to go along with it.. or at the very least be using a crit weighted weapon of some sort.

Just because edged weapon training is cheaper.. doesn't mean it's 'encouraged'. It's a choice every player must make with every character. No one forces them to choose edged weaons.

That's the lack of tactics I am talking about.

Makkah
06-02-2003, 12:01 PM
67 levels of polearming bard goodness here. No real problems... sure I die... a lot. I'm just primarily pissed that 1040 and 1025 won't be out for a while...

rht

HappyGuyJr
06-02-2003, 12:34 PM
I hate to say it.. but it won't matter anyways... as by the time they DO come out.. your not going to be able to cast them :no:

or did you forget about that nasty little level compression :?:

Originally posted by Makkah
67 levels of polearming bard goodness here. No real problems... sure I die... a lot. I'm just primarily pissed that 1040 and 1025 won't be out for a while...

rht

Makkah
06-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Didn't forget. I won't have 1040, true, but I'll still have 1025. Thanks for playing.
;)

Actually was planning on getting 1040 in beta just to see what it was (if we get a Phase II beta)

rht

Parkbandit
06-02-2003, 02:57 PM
What songs are they anyways? Singing sword is 1025? Does anyone know how that will work?

Makkah
06-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Well supposedly, we'll be able to sing it at a weapon in our hand (perhaps a sonic weapon too) and it will animate and follow beside us attacking what we attack with an independant RT and actions. So we won't have to "tell lance to attack mystic", instead it will keep attacking what we are until it dies. Sounds really great... 1040, we have no real idea on. For now, a placeholder spellsong of "Mana Streaming" which is basically 1020 is up there.

rht

Neildo
06-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Bards aren't broken. It's a critter problem, not a profession problem. Any profession using a one-handed weapon without the aid of ambush is going to suck wind.

When critters have lots of health, a high defense, and tough armor and padding, there's not much else you can do except slowly wittle away at a critter. With two-handers and polearms, it helps take care of that problem which is why none of my characters use one-handed weapons.

Whatever profession you play, if you're not ambushing with a one-handed weapon, you're in for some hardships unless you can make up for it with a higher attack strength to get past critters with no padding or tough armor yet have a high defense or those with a low defense yet have tough armor and lots of padding and health.

Hopefully when ambushing gets downtweaked, staff can tweak critters to make them not have as much padding and/or armor class to make one-handed weapons more viable. Nope, not a bard problem.

*smacks the broken bard mentality out of Conan's head*

- N

Parkbandit
06-03-2003, 07:33 AM
Damn... singing sword sounds amazing.

Warriorbird
06-03-2003, 09:03 AM
It's going to be truly amazing for polearms, and suck incredibly for everyone else.

I think they need to adjust skill costs for their weapons, Neil, then it wouldn't be a Bard problem.

Parkbandit
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Everything comes at a price... polearms are more expensive.. but hit harder. Edged is cheap, but hit softer.

If I had a good crit weighted weapon.. I may have chosen edged.

AnticorRifling
06-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Neildo
.... It's a critter problem, not a profession problem. Any profession using a one-handed weapon without the aid of ambush is going to suck wind.

When critters have lots of health, a high defense, and tough armor and padding, there's not much else you can do except slowly wittle away at a critter. With two-handers and polearms, it helps take care of that problem which is why none of my characters use one-handed weapons.

Whatever profession you play, if you're not ambushing with a one-handed weapon, you're in for some hardships unless you can make up for it with a higher attack strength to get past critters with no padding or tough armor yet have a high defense or those with a low defense yet have tough armor and lots of padding and health.

Hopefully when ambushing gets downtweaked, staff can tweak critters to make them not have as much padding and/or armor class to make one-handed weapons more viable. Nope, not a bard problem.

*smacks the broken bard mentality out of Conan's head*

- N

I have to disagree with most of this post. I swing an OHE and have no problems, because like any profession I have other skills that I use in conjunction with my OHE. Sure if your whole idea of hunting is walk in att critter wait 5 att critter repeat you're gonna have a long time at it. But think about it, what profession doesn't have supplementary or second forms of attack?

I hunt critters with some high DS but this is what I do, I 415 them to knock them to the ground and stunned then I haste swing to kill, normally two shots while it's grounded does the trick. If I would just walk in and swing it would be an all day thing.

Warriorbird
06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
But you don't play a Bard, Anticor. Do you?

:chuckles: