PDA

View Full Version : WoW N00b

Trouble
06-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, being thouroughly bored with GS, I checked out WoW. Very nice.

I've taken two undead clerics to level 7/8 by hunting solo, but that seems to be the limit to how far I can go without resorting to underhunting. I'd like to group up, but i'm not sure how it works.

Does everyone get equal EXP in the group, or does the person who gets the most damage get most/all of it?

Exp isn't tied to healing/raising, just to the killing/questing, right?

If I have a quest assigned and someone wants to go too, is it better for them to get the same quest too? or is that not possible? For those that require the collection of stuffs, do we need to get twice as many?

Do you guys use the voice chat things (TeamTalk?) when you play or rely on regular GS-style interaction?

Anyone out there with recommendations for UI add-ons that are good for priests?

If anyone wants to show me around or help me out with the mechanics please, I'm on Dunemaul and Mal'Ganis. U2U me if ya have time to help. I'm in WoW-crack phase now, so I'll be around most of the weekend. Thanks.

SnatchWrangler
06-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Who's your undead priest on Dunemaul? (You said cleric, I assume you meant priest.)

My buddy just got the game Tuesday, so he is currently addicted to WoW-Crack too.

Gotta let us know your player names if you want some help. =)

Parkbandit
06-24-2005, 03:00 PM
I DO want to get Teamtalk going for the guild by the way. Who has a good computer to host it?

Then I can yell:

LEEEEEROY JENKINS! alot.

theotherjohn
06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Trouble

I've taken two undead clerics to level 7/8 by hunting solo, but that seems to be the limit to how far I can go without resorting to underhunting.

are you doing tasks or just hunting?

tasks will lead you to new areas where you should be doing your next tasks.

Anebriated
06-24-2005, 03:05 PM
For the record TeamTalk sucks horribly as does TeamSpeak. Ventrilo is the way to go. Its free to download and you can get a 8 person server. To host more than 8 people its a minimal fee but its definately worth it. For the most part Ventrilo is much clearer and has less lag than any others I have used.

SnatchWrangler
06-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
I DO want to get Teamtalk going for the guild by the way. Who has a good computer to host it?

Then I can yell:

LEEEEEROY JENKINS! alot.

It's Teamspeak or Ventrilo...I've put off getting it for awhile. My roommate told me it takes all of 2 minutes to set up.

Do you actually need a computer to host it? I've avoided looking into it.

Do you really want to hear me bitching and moaning "Argh...For fucks sake Bayne!"

Okay...to get back on topic...who's your GS character out of curiosity, Trouble?

Parkbandit
06-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Elrodin
For the record TeamTalk sucks horribly as does TeamSpeak. Ventrilo is the way to go. Its free to download and you can get a 8 person server. To host more than 8 people its a minimal fee but its definately worth it. For the most part Ventrilo is much clearer and has less lag than any others I have used.

Sweet. I'll look into it tomorrow.

I KNOW I'm going to drive my wife nuts with me talking to the computer.

Trouble
06-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SnatchWrangler
Who's your undead priest on Dunemaul? (You said cleric, I assume you meant priest.)

My buddy just got the game Tuesday, so he is currently addicted to WoW-Crack too.

Gotta let us know your player names if you want some help. =)

On Dunemaul my priest is Dimar, on Mal'Ganis he's Okoh. They're both in Brill.

Originally posted by theotherjohn
are you doing tasks or just hunting?

tasks will lead you to new areas where you should be doing your next tasks.

Both. I picked up quests in the little starting town that eventually brought me to Brill. Now I'm getting in over my head where I have to rest up after each kill and need to pick my targets wisely (look for stragglers) so I don't get pwned by reinforcements.

I haven't seen any non-hunting quests that don't require me to run through an area that I'd get attacked since I left the little starting town.

Anebriated
06-24-2005, 03:10 PM
It was good fun in DAoC. We used it all the time even when not really doing anything. I would find myself logging into Vent before i logged into game. Even when I didnt log into the game id just chat with guildies as i surfed the net

theotherjohn
06-24-2005, 03:14 PM
[quote]

Both. I picked up quests in the little starting town that eventually brought me to Brill. Now I'm getting in over my head where I have to rest up after each kill and need to pick my targets wisely (look for stragglers) so I don't get pwned by reinforcements.

I haven't seen any non-hunting quests that don't require me to run through an area that I'd get attacked since I left the little starting town.

The rest and not get pwned is normal for the game. Soon you will be in contested areas where you also have to watch out for alliance (ME) that wants to get in on the pawning.

My advice to you is to leave Brill and go to the towns south of Org.

Anebriated
06-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Funny story just came back to me. I was playing DAoC and my group was roaming around trying to find a fight. I was always the person who panned(turned the screen to look for incoming) in our group and I saw a group coming up behind us. I yell "Incoming" into my mic so my group knows. My roommate being a smartass dives behind the couch and starts making gun noises. Was funny at the time.

Doyle Hargraves
06-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Well, being thouroughly bored with GS, I checked out WoW. Very nice.

I've taken two undead clerics to level 7/8 by hunting solo, but that seems to be the limit to how far I can go without resorting to underhunting.

Once you reach level 10 you get a talent point every level, which are used to specialize your character's training. If you want to be a good solo hunter, train as a shadow priest. There should be some good threads about how to assign them in the Priest section on the WoW forums. Shadow priests are godly in PvP and are quite effective in PvE as well.

The only problem you'll face is that for end game content, you're pretty much required to respec to a Holy Priest if you plan on doing end game instances. Up until then though, I'd recommend going shadow.

I'd like to group up, but i'm not sure how it works.

Does everyone get equal EXP in the group, or does the person who gets the most damage get most/all of it?

Exp isn't tied to healing/raising, just to the killing/questing, right?

Everyone in your party gets equal experience, even if all but one person stand there and do nothing.

If I have a quest assigned and someone wants to go too, is it better for them to get the same quest too?

Yes.

For those that require the collection of stuffs, do we need to get twice as many?

In most cases, yes. In some cases, no. The latter usually being for a quest where you have to kill a specific mob, usually a named mob. Like if your quest objective is something like "Kill Bigfatmonster and bring me his head as proof," then when you kill that mob, everyone in your party will be able to loot his head without having to kill him multiple times.

Anyone out there with recommendations for UI add-ons that are good for priests?

CTRaidAssist is the best priest type mod I know of, but it's mainly geared for when you're in raid groups so that you can see everyone's health in your raid group and not just those in your party.

Some Rogue
06-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to on the website. Is there a limit to the number of characters you can have?
I just started over the weekend, so I only have two so far but I can definitely see me wanting to try out all the classes eventually.

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Some Rogue]

Artha
06-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Is there a limit to the number of characters you can have?

Some Rogue
06-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks....that gives me lots of possiblities then.:tumble:

Odups
06-28-2005, 05:48 PM
But only 5 per server, and on a PvP server you can NOT have both alliance and horde alts.

Skeeter
06-28-2005, 05:50 PM
It's definately more than 5/server becuase I have 8 on AD already.

Odups
06-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Wow...I was sure there was a 5 per server limit. Guess I've got space on Argent after all!