PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your job?

Keller
06-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Leetahkin
06-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I couldn't really choose one category.

I am white, I was hired off the streets into my current position 5 years ago. The term "hired off the streets" is used when you start in the company I am in, in a department other than the dreaded Call Center. Yay me.

Some say it's a lot of who you know as a deciding factor to being hired, as well as qualifications. I was engaged at the time - his sister, as well as both their parents worked for this company at the time I completed an application. I used his mother as a reference; she claimed it was because of this that helped me get hired.

I also recently had accounting classes under my belt (why that was needed for this job, is beyond me).

Summary - it was a cold call, yet I guess I had an edge with knowing employees and using them as a reference. :shrug:

Toxicvixen
06-24-2005, 02:49 PM
I work for my family. So I got my job purely out of genetics. WAHOO! :D

4a6c1
06-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Nepotism (Daddy).

And I am SO not white. I'm purple.

[Edited on 6-24-2005 by JihnasSpirit]

CrystalTears
06-24-2005, 02:54 PM
I was going to a technical school at night to get certified in computer networking. Halfway through there was a job opening for customer support in this company. I was talking to one of my professors about the job and he said he used to work there and would speak to the supervisor for customer support.

I sent in my resume on Wednesday. He called them Wednesday night. Thursday morning I received a call to come in for an interview. I went to my interview on Friday morning, met with the supervisor and a few people in the department. I went back for a second interview on Monday to meet with human resources. Monday afternoon I got the call that I got the job.

I'm a hispanic woman, and damned cute. :D

Sean
06-24-2005, 02:57 PM
I worked for a local business that a friend owned delivering. Then when an opening with a friend I had made next door which was something more oriented towards my field became available I took it. And then finally when a relative of that individual needed a new employee I got a heads up and applied and got the job.

StrayRogue
06-24-2005, 02:58 PM
I got my degree. I lied, cheated and manipulated my way into the journalism world, then applied at the BBC.

peam
06-24-2005, 03:05 PM
I killed a bear and two black men with my bare hands.

theotherjohn
06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by peam
I killed a bear and two black men with my bare hands.

why did it have to be black?

Anebriated
06-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Im white but I got the job through an internship which has turned into a real full time job. They have agreed to let me continue my work part time when classes come back in the fall but I wont be doing nearly as much field work as I get to now and no more overnight trips. :(

KymberlynX
06-24-2005, 03:20 PM
I started working for the company as a temp for a 1 week assignment and they obviously liked me because they kept me on for a couple years then hired me to work in their Account Payable department. I stayed in that department for a couple more years then bid on a job in Northern California doing inventory for the manufacturing plant, got it, and viola...I've been at this job for going on 6 years now....in fact of all the office/management staff, I've been here the longest.

06-24-2005, 03:22 PM
My family helped me get my state job.

- Arkans

06-24-2005, 03:24 PM
I volunteered and signed my rights away.

theotherjohn
06-24-2005, 03:25 PM
When I was 16, got my parent's permission to enlist in the greatest, most powerful Army the world has ever seen

crazymage
06-24-2005, 03:52 PM
gave good cyber nookie to izzaac

Skeeter
06-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn
When I was 16, got my parent's permission to enlist in the greatest, most powerful Army the world has ever seen

how the fuck did you get into the Roman army?

Wezas
06-24-2005, 03:55 PM
I was temping for the employment agency my mom owns when a full-time job that looked right up my alley came along.

Put on my suit, fudged my MS Access knowledge a bit (they were heavy into it), and interviewed.

That was 7 years ago.

Iqxero
06-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by JihnasSpirit
Nepotism (Daddy).

And I am SO not white. I'm purple.

[Edited on 6-24-2005 by JihnasSpirit]

:yeahthat:

But I'm not purple. I absolutly refuse to be purple.

My family runs it's own company, and since my parents expect me to keep them in Hawaii for the rest of their lives (and something about being the future blah blah blah) I have as of yet managed not to get fired.
:rah:

Soulpieced
06-24-2005, 04:10 PM
On-campus recruiting.

Anebriated
06-24-2005, 04:16 PM
I actually got my internship/job entirely because I knew CAD and the office I work for needed someone to do drawings. I do alot more than that now but it was a good way in.

Edaarin
06-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Applied through UVA's MonsterTrak system.

There's a very good chance I'm going to be staying at this company once I graduate.

HarmNone
06-24-2005, 07:50 PM
I was looking for a position nearer to my aging grandparents and my mother. The hospital for which my mother worked was seeking someone to direct their hospice program. I applied, and here I am. :)

Artha
06-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I needed a summer job. My mom's boyfriend talked to his boss and got me one. As of next week (first paycheck omg) I will be rolling in the dough. And I am white.

Kyra
06-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Applied directly to the hospital & was sent a letter stating "Sorry, we need someone with more experience."(guess 15 years isn't enough)

So I got in thru a staffing agency. Was contracted to the med/surg floor for 4 months & by the time my contract was up they loved my work & hired me directly in.

Having sat thru orientation I see why I didn't make it in directly. No one over the age of 26 makes it in without a "pull" to get them there.

And I'm not white, black or hispanic :grin:

K.

Lord Dainslef
06-24-2005, 08:04 PM
I killed the person before me so they didn't have a choice. Of course, that means if someone wants my job they have to kill me for it...or just ask.:spaz:

Back
06-24-2005, 08:07 PM
I temped. They loved me. The rest is history. Its nice knowing I got a great job through skill and personality.

SpunGirl
06-24-2005, 08:09 PM
I interviewed and my boss was like, "omg you r00l."

-K

PS Probably didn't hurt that I am female in a mostly-male profession. This is the first room I've worked in where I'm NOT the token female.

[Edited on 6-25-2005 by SpunGirl]

Hips
06-24-2005, 08:23 PM
My uncle hired me. :D

Sylvan Dreams
06-24-2005, 08:34 PM
The company I currently work for gives their employees a cash bonus when they hire someone you refer. A friend of mine got my resume to the manager of the latin american technical support department.

Not at all sure what race has to do with the poll, but I'm hispanic.

longshot
06-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I had no experience in trading or import/export, so I was given a three month internship as a type of provisional employment period that either myself or the company could walk away from at the end of the three months. They liked me, and I liked working there, so I was promoted to fulltime status.

Initially, I was referred to a manager by a friend of the family. I got the job because of my ability to speak Japanese and my experience living overseas. I'm white, btw.

Gan
06-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Developed a partnership between my old company and my current employer. Did such a good job that when my old job waivered on its career ladder comittments I was offered a position with my current employer. Things have been peachy since, its nice to finally be in a good fit career wise and employer wise.

Now to get the wife completed with her MSN so I can go back for my MBA.

Snapp
06-24-2005, 10:17 PM
I applied & got a job with the company when I was 15 for after school. Stayed with them and worked my way up. :)

I'm white, and didn't know anyone in the company.

Killer Kitten
06-25-2005, 12:22 AM
My best friend from tech school got a job at Central Park Zoo as their tech. When the tech position at Queens opened up, she urged me to apply. I was in a state of career frustration at that point, shelter teching at a busy place like the League is a great job at 25, but at 35 I was having a hard time keeping up.

I really went to the interview to be polite to my friend, because I did love the League and wasn't sure I wanted to leave. My friend had made sure my resume was noticed and talked me up to the vets and Queens director, so I didn't want to just turn it down and make her look bad.

I had an interview with the Human Resources director in the Bronx, and he sent me over to speak to the head vet, who in turn sent me to Queens to talk to their director. Two days later the curator of Queens called me in for a second interview. By this time I had decided I wanted the job, so I dressed for the interview in my best business clothes, shined my shoes and printed out my resume on the expensive pretty paper.

While I was interviewing the curator was trying to transfer a woodcock (type of bird native to the area) between cages and didn't have enough hands. I volunteered to hold the bird for him, and it promptly crapped right down the front of my suit. The curator started apologising and I just laughed and said it wasn't nearly as spectacular as the time a Great Dane did it on me, and I was certain there were bigger critters living at the zoo who would peobably volunteer to do it, too. Two days later, the Human Resources guy called me back to offer the position to me.

I always joked that in order to get hired I had to hold the curators woodcock for him.

Tsa`ah
06-25-2005, 12:31 AM
I was approached by my present employer for a resume.

Former customer contacts through one of my previous jobs recommended me during a convention.