PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a few Good Mods!

HarmNone
06-22-2005, 08:27 AM
The boards have grown! Wow, have they grown! We need help up in here!

If you'd be interested in moderating one of our many fascinating topics, and interacting with our highly sophisticated posters on a daily basis, you'll be thrilled to know we're looking for a few people just like you! :D

Requirements are that you have posted, at least, twice the number of posts shown as the average posts, per poster, in the Stats section of these boards. You also must be, at least, sixteen years old to apply. In the more volatile topics, a thick skin is a valuable asset. It's also good to know that any topic on these boards can turn volatile at a moment's notice. ;)

Below you will find the application to moderate on The GemStone IV Players' Corner. If you're interested and qualified, please cut, paste and complete the application. Then, either mail it to me at toharmnone@yahoo.com, or U2U it to me. Please give us a week or two to review the application and get back to you.

Thanks!

Username:
Most active Gemstone character:

Folder #1 you wish to moderate:
Folder #2 you wish to moderate:

How many times a day will you be able to review your folders:

a) Once a night every two to three nights
b) Once every two nights
c) Once every night
d) Twice a day or more

How long have you been playing Gemstone III/IV:

a) Only a couple of months but I know my stuff
b) One to two years
c) Two to 4 years
d) I'm from the day's of ICE baby!

How knowledgeable do you consider yourself to be in the folder you wish to moderate:

a) I know my way around the internet to find information when I need it
b) I take part in as many events as possible and have a lot of experience
c) I have been asked many questions on the topic and have always been able to answer them
d) I'm the Gemstone version of Encarta 2000

Any other comments you wish to make can be placed here:

Parkbandit
06-22-2005, 08:39 AM
How much does it pay?

Wezas
06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
If Lycain posts in your folder you can delete/edit his posts.

That should be sufficient.

theotherjohn
06-22-2005, 08:42 AM
how about training the mods you have now instead of getting new ones

I have had two posts removed in a thread because they were off topic but I just counted 5 more threads off topic in the same thread (1 by a mod) that were not removed

Gan
06-22-2005, 08:45 AM
So if I read that right HN, the average post per member is 162. So you would only need 324 posts to qualify, aside from being over 16?

Very interesting..........

theotherjohn
06-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Requirements are that you have posted, at least, twice the number of posts shown as the average posts, per poster, in the Stats section of these boards. You also must be, at least, sixteen years old to apply.

Since you feel that there should be a minimum age of 16, I feel that there should be a maximum age limit of 30.

HarmNone
06-22-2005, 08:50 AM
I'll answer Parkbandit's question first:

It don't pay diddly shit, darlin'. Your pay is the absolute, positive, magnificent joy of getting to ride herd on all this absolute, positive, magnificent joy! Yes! :moon:

Ganalon, you are correct. Those are the rules. Now, does that mean that a person with 324 posts will be chosen over a person with 3324 posts? Who knows? I guess a great deal will depend on the quality of the posts, the application, and the interest said person has shown on the boards, and the feelings of the moderators and supermoderators concerning the viability of the applicant. :)

Gan
06-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Outstanding.

I wouldnt mind helping out, but all the folders that I currently participate in have adequate moderation already. :(

HarmNone
06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
That's not really relevant at this point, Ganalon. I'll probably be doing some rearranging once the new mods are chosen. Go ahead and apply, and let us know in which topics you're interested. If those aren't available, perhaps we can work together to find the right place for those who are chosen. :)

Parkbandit
06-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

Requirements are that you have posted, at least, twice the number of posts shown as the average posts, per poster, in the Stats section of these boards. You also must be, at least, sixteen years old to apply.

Since you feel that there should be a minimum age of 16, I feel that there should be a maximum age limit of 30.

Fucker. That was SO DIRECTED AT ME!

AGE-IST! TOJ IS A FUCKING AGE-IST!

HarmNone
06-22-2005, 09:02 AM
The minimum age of 16 has been in effect all along, TOJ. It wasn't MY idea. ;)

theotherjohn
06-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Fucker. That was SO DIRECTED AT ME!

AGE-IST! TOJ IS A FUCKING AGE-IST!

really? perhaps it was directed at the 16 minimum and had nothing to do with you.

I am sure those who post here under 16 will agree that having a age limit is for lack of a better word stupid

Leetahkin
06-22-2005, 09:08 AM
I agree wholeheartedly for the age limit.
Heck, I'd almost say it should be 18.
Age minimums are a fact of life, get used to it.

Wezas
06-22-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm sure once Bob gets closer to being 16 the age limit will be bumped up. :shibby:

theotherjohn
06-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Wezas
I'm sure once Bob gets closer to being 16 the age limit will be bumped up. :shibby:

true.

Gan
06-22-2005, 09:20 AM
I think age limits, historically, reflect maturity and in some cases intelligence. That doesnt mean there are exceptions to the rule. Its just that with age comes experience (worldliness), maturity (in most cases but not all), and intelligence as relating to education.

Its not like age is the overall determining factor, its just the minimum requirement because its easily measured. Intelligence and maturity are not so easily measured, thus they are on the 2nd tier of the qualification scale.

So before you flame, realize that I'm not bashing those who are young - because you're under 16 (as used in this example) does not mean you're an idiot. If that were the case then the government wouldnt give out drivers liscenses until people turned 35.

HarmNone
06-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Definitely NOT true. :D

Bob is welcome to apply when he meets the qualifications and new mods are needed.

[Edited on 6-22-2005 by HarmNone]

Wezas
06-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Ganalon
If that were the case then the government wouldnt give out drivers liscenses until people turned 35.

And take them away once they turn 60.

Gan
06-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Amen

YancyDC
06-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Maybe I should go post randomly to up my totals to be considered. :)

Wezas
06-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by YancyDC

You mean that's not what you'd been doing all along? :saint:

YancyDC
06-22-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by YancyDC

You mean that's not what you'd been doing all along? :saint:
I was thinking about trying to become top poster, then I had an aneurysm when I saw some totals, so now I post only when I feel it is totally needed. Like this one, for instance. :cool:

Omens
06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I'd make the best Mod.

Miss X
06-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Well then apply!

I take bribes. ;)

Wezas
06-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Miss X
Well then apply!

I take bribes. ;)

Chica's going to be paid in sammiches.

Skirmisher
06-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Foot massages worked for me!

CrystalTears
06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I have a Paypal account. :D

j/k

Omens
06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Miss X
Well then apply!

I take bribes. ;)

You know, I think I will.

Watch out Wezas. I'm gona hit ya with my Italian moderation sammich of Doom !

Wezas
06-22-2005, 12:32 PM
That avatar is just..... disturbing.

I guess it should be appealing, but for some reason it's not (to me).

Omens
06-22-2005, 01:43 PM
I did it. We'll see. Keep your fingers crossed.

Parkbandit
06-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Omens
I did it. We'll see. Keep your fingers crossed.

We can only hope.

Really.

PS - I hope you gave a very hefty bribe.

Brattt8525
06-22-2005, 01:46 PM

I thought I was the only one that felt that way, good to know I am not.

Omens
06-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Brattt8525

I thought I was the only one that felt that way, good to know I am not.

:(

Took me weeks to find that avatar.

Bobmuhthol
06-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I am sure those who post here under 16 will agree that having a age limit is for lack of a better word stupid

And I don't remember such a limit existing when Kranar asked for mods about a year ago.

Nieninque
06-22-2005, 02:27 PM

Not agreeing or disagreeing with this, however it does concern me that with this age spec. Bob cant be a mod, but chadj can :spaz:

Skeeter
06-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I think there's a fairly good chance that neither of them will become a mod.

but..I've been wrong before. :whistle:

Fengus
06-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Whats the age limit matter, have you verified your age?

At any rate many studies suggest that the brain isn't morally developed until age 12-15 so a person too young simply lacks the ability to make sane judgements. And when debating weither to edit or delete a post those are pretty important skills.

As an aside what forums needs mods?

I vote Bob for super moderator.

HarmNone
06-22-2005, 10:31 PM
If you'll go to our main index page:
http://forum.gsplayers.com/index.php

you'll be able to see what topics are currently in need of mods. Additionally, we'll probably be doing some rearranging of assignments once the new mods are onboard, so just let us know what you're interested in modding and we'll see what happens. :)

HarmNone
06-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque

Not agreeing or disagreeing with this, however it does concern me that with this age spec. Bob cant be a mod, but chadj can :spaz:

One can only BE a mod if one is voted into the position by a majority of the existing moderators/supermoderators. One can apply only if one is 16 years of age, or over. :)

[Edited on 6-26-2005 by HarmNone]

SpunGirl
06-22-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm curious to know how applications are rejected/accepted once one applies.

-K

PS No, I'm not applying, I just want to know how our new mods will be chosen.

Tsa`ah
06-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
I'm curious to know how applications are rejected/accepted once one applies.

-K

PS No, I'm not applying, I just want to know how our new mods will be chosen.

All applications are posted in the mod folder as a yes/no poll. The staff votes.

HarmNone
06-22-2005, 11:40 PM
When an application is received, it is placed in the staff area of the boards for the moderators and supermoderators to review and vote on. Staff members can vote yes or no, or they can abstain. Kranar and I do not vote.

Once the voting is complete, the votes are tallied for each application under review. We know how many moderators we need, so the applicants who receive the most favorable votes are those whose will be chosen.

Hope that answers your question, Spun. :)

Asha
06-23-2005, 02:26 AM
After looking around the boards especially for mods and potential mods, I've notice anyone who should be a mod already is.
Basicly I can only imagine a few posters who really could pull it off.
One of them I'm amazed isn't a mod already :nono:
The other knows more about sorcery and the dark side of RP, than I've seen from any poster before.

Hope they both applied.

Edited to add :
If Nilandia didn't apply for Gemstone News, I'll personally use all my psi-powers to make her!

[Edited on 6-23-2005 by Drayal]

Wezas
06-23-2005, 03:26 AM
Hope they're grading on the curve.