PDA

View Full Version : Assume Aspect

Thief
07-24-2005, 04:43 PM
GM Mestys and the development staff are pleased to present you with a sneak preview of the very first 50th level spell of GemStone IV -- Assume Aspect (650)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assume Aspect (650)

Mnemonic: ASSUME

Type: Utility

Assume Aspect allows a ranger, who has 50 Ranger spell ranks, to channel the spirits of nature in order to assume beneficial characteristics of certain wild beasts. After PREParing the spell, the ranger may choose one of the following aspects to ASSUME:

Aspect Benefit
Wolf- Dexterity & Intuition stats
Jackal- Ambush skill
Lion- Strength & Influence stats
Panther- Stalking and Hiding skill
Owl- Wisdom & Aura stats
Hawk- Perception skill
Rat- Agility & Discipline stats
Porcupine- Logic stat, Wall of Thorns (640) spell effect
Bear- Constitution stat, Health Point (HP)
Serpent- Evade
Burgee- Block
Mantis- Parry
Yierka- Survival skill; SENSE, FORAGE & herb/healing potion RT reduction

Aspect Benefits

Stats: When assuming an aspect with a stat benefit, the ranger receives a +20 increase to the applicable stat. Training in Spiritual Lore, Blessings provides an additional benefit of an additional +1 at 2 ranks to a maximum of an additional +12 at 90 ranks. The stat bonus increase is half that of the stat increase with a base stat bonus increase of +10 and an additional stat bonus increase of +6 with lore training. Please note that the total increase to a character's stat bonus from all enhancive effects (including 650) caps at +20.

Skills: Aspects with skill benefits increase the appropriate skill by +20 ranks. Training in Spiritual Lore, Summoning increases this bonus by an additional +1 at 2 ranks to a maximum of an additional +12 at 90 ranks.

Wall of Thorns (640) modifier: One of the benefits of assuming the aspect of the porcupine is that it increases the block and poison effect of the Wall of Thorns (640) spell. Training in Spiritual Lore, Summoning further increases this effect.

Health Point (HP) modifier: Not only does assuming the aspect of the bear provide an increase to the Constitution stat, it also provides an increase to the ranger?s Health Points (HP) by +25. Training in Spiritual Lore, Summoning provides an additional +1 HP at 1 rank with a maximum of an additional +13 HP at 91 ranks.

Evade/Block/Parry modifiers: This benefit provides a +10% chance to evade, block, or parry against like-level foes during combat. Training in Spiritual Lore, Blessings increases this chance by an additional 1% at 2 ranks with a maximum of an additional +12% at 90 ranks.

SENSE, FORAGE & herb/healing potion consumption: A ranger will have a 25% RT reduction when consuming any healing herb or potion, sensing room conditions, or attempting to forage while under the effects of the aspect of the yierka. Training in Spiritual Lore, Blessings increases this benefit by an additional 3% RT reduction at 1 rank with a maximum of an additional 39% RT reduction at 91 ranks.

Animal Companion Bonus
If the ranger assumes an aspect that is of the same category as his Animal Companion, he will receive an additional bonus while the effects of the aspect are active. This benefit pertains to Animal Companions that are of the same category (canine, feline, avian, and rodent), but not necessarily to the same species as the wolf, jackal, lion, panther, owl, hawk, rat, and porcupine aspects.

Duration
The ranger is able to channel the spirits of nature for 10 minutes at 50 Mana Point (MP) cost. This 10 minute connect to the spirits of nature begins once the ranger assumes his first aspect. The aspect benefit, however, has a flat duration of 2 minutes.

Taking on the characteristics of nature?s creatures is no easy task. During the 10 minute duration, the ranger is only able to assume another aspect every 4 minutes via the ASSUME command, but at half the MP cost of the initial cast.

PREParing and CASTing Assume Aspect again will refresh the 10 minute connection to the spirits of nature at a cost of 50 MPs. This 10 minute duration is independent to that of the 2 minute flat duration of the aspect benefit.

Features & Favorites
Rangers may assume appropriate features of their current chosen aspect as well. ASSUME SHIFT toggles the ability to assume the aspect?s features.

In order to set a default aspect, use the ASSUME STORE command. ASSUME STORE CLEAR will clear the default aspect.

Makkah
07-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Looks pretty cool. Can get like 3 Aspects in for 100 mana in 10 minutes. I'll wait and see how it is in action...

Kenn
07-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Man, I can't fucking wait. One thing I wanted to ask and I got wishy-washy imput on was the aspect of wolf (dex / intuition bonus.) It only effects the stats, correct? So like, the +20 dex bonus wouldn't raise your ranged AS 20. If it does, man, that's going to be cool for me.

Artha
07-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Sounds like it's just the stat, not the bonus.

Bobmuhthol
07-24-2005, 04:59 PM
<<So like, the +20 dex bonus wouldn't raise your ranged AS 20. If it does, man, that's going to be cool for me.>>

The stat bonus increase is half that of the stat increase with a base stat bonus increase of +10 and an additional stat bonus increase of +6 with lore training.
You get minimum +10 ranged AS, maximum +16.

Terminator X
07-24-2005, 05:00 PM
sadly, this sounds like the fastest way of gaining experience since symbol of dreams

Bobmuhthol
07-24-2005, 05:01 PM
And is it me, or is this just a tad similar to the entire WoW druid class?

Anebriated
07-24-2005, 05:09 PM
I was thinking hunters but its close either way.

TheRoseLady
07-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Looking forward to this, it might be 2 years before my ranger is 50 though. Still, a very neat spell.

Kitsun
07-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
And is it me, or is this just a tad similar to the entire WoW druid class?

GS development has been leeching ideas from other games since forever.

Remember when mstrike was released? Diablo 2 was huge with Paladins and the zealot strike!

Makkah
07-24-2005, 06:04 PM
<<And is it me, or is this just a tad similar to the entire WoW druid class? >>

<<GS development has been leeching ideas from other games since forever. >>

Is it me, or have games, books, comics, etc etc been using shit like this since WAY before WoW was even a sparkle in some gaming nerd's eye?

Terminator X
07-24-2005, 06:09 PM
No modern recreation of the basilisk has done anything close to justice with respect to Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia...

Or so I'm told :smug:

Bobmuhthol
07-24-2005, 06:30 PM
<<Is it me, or have games, books, comics, etc etc been using shit like this since WAY before WoW was even a sparkle in some gaming nerd's eye?>>

Books and comics don't have characters that get +20 constitution and +25 HP from casting a spell that turns them into a bear. WoW druids have the EXACT same concept. Nothing else is closer.

Drew
07-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Wow, a spell for rangers train 90-100. Whoo whoo [sarcasm]

Stunseed
07-24-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm in no rush to get it, either. I will get it, prolly near 70 or so.

Drew
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Stunseed
I'm in no rush to get it, either. I will get it, prolly near 70 or so.

My current training plan has it at 80. Probably right about the time you'll have enough mana to run it.

Nilandia
07-25-2005, 01:21 AM
Actually, the idea for Assume Aspect (650) came directly from a player suggestion. It came from Murp, as I recall.

At least outwardly, the idea was not stolen from WoW. Also, the spell will not turn the caster INTO the aspect they assume. They will merely take on similar features.

Lycanthropy, anyone? :devilsmile:

Nilandia

Itachi
07-25-2005, 03:25 AM
<<Books and comics don't have characters that get +20 constitution and +25 HP from casting a spell that turns them into a bear. WoW druids have the EXACT same concept. Nothing else is closer. >>

Diablo II

Drew
07-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Nilandia
Actually, the idea for Assume Aspect (650) came directly from a player suggestion. It came from Murp, as I recall.

Not Murp, I'm 100% sure. Ermmm, the name elludes me at the moment but you are correct that it came from a player.

Makkah
07-25-2005, 09:15 AM
It was Mnar

[Edited on 7-25-2005 by Makkah]

Nilandia
07-27-2005, 02:41 AM
Feh. Just like me to get them confused.

Nilandia

Celephais
07-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Saying Diablo II had it before WoW isn't too much of a refute (Blizzard), that said, the whole idea of gaining stats from assuming a form has long been standing in RPG and gaming.

Baldurs gate had that too didn't it? I remember turning my wizard into a bear and getting HPs and Con.

What was the name of that old arcade game where you're a barbarian that kills guys to powers up to transform into a bear or something. (I think it came out on NES eventually too).

Landrion
07-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Celephais
Saying Diablo II had it before WoW isn't too much of a refute (Blizzard), that said, the whole idea of gaining stats from assuming a form has long been standing in RPG and gaming.

Baldurs gate had that too didn't it? I remember turning my wizard into a bear and getting HPs and Con.

What was the name of that old arcade game where you're a barbarian that kills guys to powers up to transform into a bear or something. (I think it came out on NES eventually too).

Altered Beast?

As for the originality of a nature guy taking aspects of a critter - sure whatever. I remember an old 80's cartoon with some sheriff guy who'd always call out "STENGTH OF THE BEAR" or "EARS OF THE WOLF" to power up "he-man" fashion or be able hear super distances.

07-27-2005, 02:02 PM
It was stolen directly. Please, Hunters have aspect of the cheetah, tiger, and monkey that enhance playability. Goddamn.. Make rangers a bit more original, eh?

- Arkans

Celexei
07-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Either way, For the older 5% of rangers, It'll be a wonderful spell I'm sure.

Celephais
07-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
It was stolen directly. Please, Hunters have aspect of the cheetah, tiger, and monkey that enhance playability. Goddamn.. Make rangers a bit more original, eh?

- Arkans

Shamans from EQ anyone? I don't remember the exact names from EQ but spirit of the bear definatly comes to mind, all of those animal stat enhancing spells.

In this genre it's near impossible to not steal a few things... so long as they just say it's not stealing, it was 'influenced'

Drew
07-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Arkans

- Arkans

Mnar proposed this spell certainly more than a year ago, way before WoW came out.

Makkah
07-27-2005, 07:18 PM
This is a dead fucking horse. Saying this idea was ripped directly from WoW is like saying Bob has a penis. It's untrue.

Dwarven Empath
07-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Bob's penis plays WoW?

Catts
03-11-2013, 11:46 PM
this is very much like the hunter, not druid, part of wow....it's too damned similar really haha. "aspect of cheeta" you run faster, "aspect of hawk" aim "aspect monkey" defense

Except in wow you get them as you went, not in one spell. There's no way this wasn't taken from wow....but whatever. It goes along with the general idea of a rangerly type person who has this sorta bond with his companion and animals, which is definitely not unique to Wow

Kastrel
03-12-2013, 04:44 AM
Good god Catts, necro-thread of the deaaaad!

Catts
03-12-2013, 06:57 AM
ahah I didn't even look at the date. I've been trying to decide on a pet and doin a lot of googling. I can't decide!