PDA

View Full Version : Apply. Apply!

Ilvane
06-18-2005, 07:07 AM
We are back to being active again!

If anyone wants to join up, please fill out an application!

Please keep in mind you should be a premium member for at least one year.

Thanks!

Ilvane
Executive Officer of ALAE

Edited to add:
Apply here! http://www.play.net/gs4/alae/

[Edited on 6-18-2005 by Ilvane]

Asha
06-18-2005, 07:27 AM
What!?
What the hell is this?

HarmNone
06-18-2005, 07:32 AM
ALAE is the Elanthian organization that designs so many of the lovely things you see in Elanthia. The players who take part are allowed to design certain areas within the game. :)

Ebondale
06-18-2005, 08:19 AM
So why would one have to have been a premium member for over a year? Why doesn't it matter if you have like a 10 year old account or whatever.

Just because someone pays 40$ a month rather than 10$ a month doesn't mean that they have better ideas, only that they pay more money to play this (very) over priced game.

I'm a premium member myself, but I don't see the logic of this "being a premium member for a full year" mindset.

I'd apply, but... well lets be honest. Even if I designed a hundred thousand new areas for the game, a thousand unique items, a whole bunch of merchant items, and more... Simutronics wouldn't get around to putting it in the game for the next ten years or so.

Jazuela
06-18-2005, 08:30 AM
I agree with Ebondale. I also don't understand this whole idea - the GMs are paid (admittedly not much, but still...) to design the game. The players pay for it, and Premium players pay even more for it. So why do Premium players get the "benefit" of being "allowed" to do the staff's job?

It sounds to me like subscribing to cable service, and being told that if you want more or better channels, or if you want your signal to look better with less noise, you have the "opportunity" to work at the cable company's office and put them in or make the improvements yourself. But only if you pay extra for the privilege.

What I think would be great, is if they offered reduced rates for implementation of designs submitted by players. This whole ALAE thing is a good place to do it. "Join ALAE, become an occasional designer for the game, and get 1/2 off your monthly fee for each month you produce something that gets loaded into the game!"

The notion that "Oh we're doing this because we love GS and want to see our own stuff for everyone else to ooh and ahh over" would make sense, if you didn't already have to pay for someone else to do the work. But to say "Things need improving, the players want new rooms and new stuff, so let the paying customers think we're doing them a favor by making them do all the work" just doesn't wash with me for a game that charges so much.

I should note, I quit playing for good right around the time ALAE was announced years ago. I just didn't feel I was getting what I paid for, not by a longshot.

theotherjohn
06-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Ilvane
We are back to being active again!

Ilvane
Executive Officer of ALAE

Since you are the XO, Why should I work for free for a gaming company?

HarmNone
06-18-2005, 08:50 AM
I think a lot of people do this because they enjoy it and don't consider it work. It's fun for them, and probably very confirming to see their work in the game. It's also, as I understand it, a pretty good source for Simu when they're looking for builders to put on staff. :)

Ebondale
06-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Lets be realistic, though. How often does Simutronics actually get up off their ass and implement something new into the game? How many years has it been and they STILL haven't even implemented a whole bunch of spells? :)

HarmNone
06-18-2005, 08:57 AM
You've certainly got a point, Ebondale. I don't know how often the designs of ALAE players are actually implemented in the game, since the organization had barely begun when I left GemStone. I imagine Ilvane could tell us more about implementation.

Ebondale
06-18-2005, 09:03 AM
"Here at Simutronics we are too damn fat and lazy to do our own jobs, so we depend upon you, our overpaying customers to do our jobs for us. We like to sit here and interfere in your roleplaying while collecting vast sums of money from our customers without ever really completing any projects we begin and maintain the illusion of a working development staff by releasing a new town every five years or so."

Its just such a load of crap. They have the manpower to code and release Paladins and they seriously think that we're stupid enough to just accept the fact that they still haven't completed the original character classes that have been around since AOL?

Skirmisher
06-18-2005, 09:06 AM
ALAE doesn't have anything to do with coding though I thought.

I thought they were in essence the "painters" of new areas.

Not at all the same thing.

Ebondale
06-18-2005, 09:07 AM
So they come up with the room descriptions?

Skirmisher
06-18-2005, 09:09 AM
I do so believe, yes.

Ebondale
06-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Thats not so bad, but I just wonder where the 40$, 10$, and 50$ a month from from all the premium, standard, and platinum members is going if Simutronics isn't paying ALAE and they (obviously) aren't working to implement/fix the game mechanics that haven't been working since day 1.

HarmNone
06-18-2005, 09:57 AM
ALAE contributors don't code. They design. I imagine it's a great outlet for their creativity.

Scott
06-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Ebondale
Thats not so bad, but I just wonder where the 40$, 10$, and 50$ a month from from all the premium, standard, and platinum members is going if Simutronics isn't paying ALAE and they (obviously) aren't working to implement/fix the game mechanics that haven't been working since day 1.

HJ

Ebondale
06-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Scott

HJ

Yeah, you know. I keep thinking back to this one Chapelle Show skit about a dice game... and this one guy won a million dollars playing dice in Vegas and they ask him what he did with the money and he says:

"I bought my momma a car................. and I spent the rest on PCP."

Where does the money go? :smug:

Jolena
06-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Ooo, I was thinking about doing some ALAE stuff actually. I love to design alterations for folks so this isn't too much different. What to do, what to do....:whistle:

As to the other stuff, not that I'm all happy about everything that happens in Gemstone or with Simutronics in general, but why play a game that you are soooo disatisfied with Ebondale? Just makes no sense to keep 'overpaying' the company that you hold so much disdain for to play a game that you feel is so in need of improvements and will never be fixed.

Ebondale
06-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Jolena
As to the other stuff, not that I'm all happy about everything that happens in Gemstone or with Simutronics in general, but why play a game that you are soooo disatisfied with Ebondale? Just makes no sense to keep 'overpaying' the company that you hold so much disdain for to play a game that you feel is so in need of improvements and will never be fixed.

I may dislike Simutronics as a company but I love it's customers. I think Gemstone has one of the finest and level-headed player communities of any game that has ever been online. I play it because I enjoy interacting with other people who actually really crave good roleplaying.

I think a lot of game mechanics need 'fixing' but the most important things to me which are the RP verbs and things of that nature are pretty much perfect in my opinion. Basically the roleplaying elements of GS outweigh the rollplaying elements of GS. :)

Vixen
06-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I can't speak for all the ALAE people, but I love being involved. I've been in it for a long time now. Sure it has its frustrating moments, and it CAN be work. But I consider the work nothing, when I get to walk in a building thats live in the game, that was my baby. And there are a lot more ALAE built things out there, than you'd think. I never understood the premie restriction either, I will say that much. But we're a good bunch of people.
(Did I mention I love being involved??)

Parkbandit
06-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Different strokes for different folks. Lots of people merchant.. I couldn't stand it. Lots of people draw maps and make elaborate websites for GS.. not my cup of tea. Many people will sit for hours waiting for a NPC merchant to show up.

There is a small section of people that love to do this sort of thing and Simutronics figured out they can kill to birds with one stone.

Sounds like a smart business deal to me.

:shrug:

TheRoseLady
06-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Lets be realistic, though. How often does Simutronics actually get up off their ass and implement something new into the game? How many years has it been and they STILL haven't even implemented a whole bunch of spells? :)

All the time. This line if reasoning is *very* old and outdated.

Ilvane
06-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Well, actually our things get implemented all the time. Sometimes we'll get a chance to design something that has to be done quickly so we do it.

I don't like the premium restriction either. I'm hoping it changes too!

-A

Hulkein
06-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Heh, my sister was in ALAE when she played a couple years back.

Parkbandit
06-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
Heh, my sister was in ALAE when she played a couple years back.

Is she hot?

:smug:

Jolena
06-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Okay okay, I applied applied :grin: Hopefully I will hear back sooner rather then later, although the website didn't give me much to look forward to in that respect. Said it could be as much as 6 months before my app is even looked at. Le sigh.

Ilvane
06-18-2005, 03:48 PM
It won't be that long. We have a new GM who has more time for us. Not that Claw wasn't great, but Sirina is fast!

You'll hear something from me, most likely soon! :)

-A

ElanthianSiren
06-18-2005, 03:56 PM

Spells require coding. Alae area builders only require a QC'er (who are taken from ALAE members) and the shell of code that allows them to work within the game (as well as any bug fixes going through Sirinia). Because areas are static, it's a whole different ball of wax than a spell that has potential different ramifications everytime you cast it, as well as requiring area checks etc.

-Melissa

OreoElf
06-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Already applied!!! :P and talked to Sirina once. Not sure when it'll come through or find out about it. You know how slow these things go.

Artha
06-19-2005, 02:46 PM
How many years has it been and they STILL haven't even implemented a whole bunch of spells?
Paladins were released ~8 months ago. That was a bunch of new spells.

Burnt out Priestess
06-19-2005, 03:11 PM
I applied ,looking forward to hearing back.

Jack
06-19-2005, 06:31 PM
I've applied a couple times now, but much like the mentors it seems to be about who you're friends with, rather than how good you would be at the job.

Ilvane
06-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Jack, U2u me if you will. I would like to check on these two applications.

We aren't quite the same as the Mentors as far as being stringent. I'd like to make sure your application wasn't lost somehow.

-A

Jack
06-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Jack, U2u me if you will. I would like to check on these two applications.

We aren't quite the same as the Mentors as far as being stringent. I'd like to make sure your application wasn't lost somehow.

-A

Done

OreoElf
06-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Hmmm any idea how long it'll take to hear back about whether or not I'm in? ;)

Ilvane
06-21-2005, 06:21 PM
I just have one more application to respond to, so it could be yours..;) I don't know.

-A

StrayRogue
06-21-2005, 08:48 PM
People who whine about stuff not being implemented EVER are fucking idiots.

TheRoseLady
06-21-2005, 08:58 PM
:yeahthat:

OreoElf
06-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Yay I'm a new proud member of the ALAE!

Ilvane
06-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Well seeing as I had one app and you were the only one saying it wasn't done..I figured it was a pretty good chance it was you.:) hehe.

-A

Burnt out Priestess
06-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Congrats,i look forward to meeting all those new ALAE members!

Jolena
06-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Ooo, good choices for ALAE! I got accepted as well. Looking forward to working with everyone! :heart:

Fission
06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
There still a chance to get in, or do you pretty much have your current crop now?

:roll:

Ilvane
06-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Apply, apply! :-P

-A

petroglyph
06-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Mine should be in tonight, with any luck.

Caels
06-24-2005, 03:21 AM
I can't.

Unless Ilvane wants to give me access to her account (hides)

Goldenranger
06-24-2005, 03:31 AM
I applied, hope mine is decent...

Amaron
06-24-2005, 07:57 AM
I applied the other day as well.

Crosses her fingers...

J/katee

Overlord
06-24-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you need to have an account that has been and currently is active for the 1 year period. (Hate this crap, had 6 years consecutive service with my prem account and more with my standard!! :soapbox:)

Ilvane
06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
It does have to be consecutive for 1 year, yes.

Sorry, I wish it were different sometimes too!

-A

Ilvane
06-26-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry if I haven't got back to some who applied yet, I've been sick all weekend.:(

I promise to be around this week to talk to everyone!

-A

Atlanteax
06-26-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm sorry if I haven't got back to some who applied yet, I've been sick all weekend.:(

I promise to be around this week to talk to everyone!

-A

Bah, you're never around! :no:

petroglyph
07-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Not to push you if you're still sick, Ilvane, but how long should we wait to hear back after submitting an application before we start resubmitting or making inquiries?

Laccon
07-17-2005, 09:16 AM
they change it so that standard accounts can get into this yet? if nots work on it! heh

Ilvane
07-17-2005, 09:19 AM
How long ago did you send your application? It usually is a few weeks after that..depending.

Unfortunately we haven't changed it to standard accounts yet! Sorry.:(

-A

petroglyph
07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Only a bit over three weeks ago, so I'll sit patient for a while yet then.

Ilvane
07-18-2005, 12:05 AM
I haven't received any new ones yet, but I hear wind that there are some coming my way soon! So I'm sure you're probably in there.

-A

petroglyph
08-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Umm, so. . .any status updates, Ilvane?