PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater fishtank help: I might be doing something stupid!

Shari
06-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Oookay. So. I've been doing my research, and I've talked with my manager about this and it SOUNDS like I can pull this off, but again, this is only sounding good in my head, though my manager assures me I'd be okay, I'd rather get some advice from people who actually own saltwater tanks.

I have a 5 gallon. I know, you salt experts can start freaking out. Putting together anything less than a 30 is just rediculously stupid. It is easier to control water quality with a 50+ gallon tank. I am aware of this. I'm also aware of the fact I can only put one or MAYBE too teenie tiny fish in there.

Here's the deal...I plan on starting this off small because I know its going to be more difficult to keep the checks and balances flowing in a small tank, and I'm purposely going this route because I'd like to go larger, but I'd like it to eventually get easier on me to do so.

Most everyone is aware of the fact I work at Petsmart. I can handle freshwater. I handle it so well I can break all the rules for keeping a tank and the damned fish NEVER die. I want to move up into something more challenging, and a bit more...exotic.

Anyway, I plan on having a fish-only tank. I'm not going to bother with invertebrates or live corals because, well...I don't have the money for it mostly, and its even more chemical levels for me to keep an eye on.

I'd like to throw a small clown (4in) in there, and if he survives, perhaps another one from the damsel family.

Is this even possible? People are telling me yes but that it will be more difficult. I'm hoping to get some imput here.

Also, I know I can throw dead coral in there for looks, but I'm curious...I found a lovely piece of purplish spider-web looking coral while down in Mexico, straight out of the ocean. Is it possible to put this in my tank? If so, do I need to treat it or do anything to it before putting it in?

Any input would be great.

Ardwen
06-17-2005, 04:44 AM
So you're basically intentionaly gonna torture fish and hope they survive then?

Ardwen

Shari
06-17-2005, 05:43 AM
No.

Small fish such as damsels and clownfish can survive in a tank like mine. Torturing them would be putting five of them in there, or dumping a can of beer in the water. :D

I understand the checks and balances of the tank, I just know that MOST people have a tank of 30 gallons or larger for saltwater because a large percentage of the fish get 7 inches or longer. Most people don't want one single saltwater fish, they want their own little mini-reef.

I'd like one of those too, but I want to make sure I can do it in the first place before dumping 500 dollars or more onto the setup of a larger system.

Caiylania
06-17-2005, 05:50 AM
But that goes back to it being to different, even if you can keep that one clown alive, using that small a tank won't really do much for showing how a huge one works. :/

Shari
06-17-2005, 06:02 AM
Well, according to the books I've been reading, doing a larger tank is easier. (Not cost-wise though, of course!)

The salt levels, nitrate, etc, fluxuate less drastically with a large tank and can leave more room for error. As well as you don't have to sit and research what kinds of fish you can put in a 50 gallon tank, whereas in a small on you have to do your math to make sure it will be okay in a smaller space.

fallenSaint
06-17-2005, 07:44 AM
This should be much easier...

Fishy (http://www.geliosoft.com/3d-fish-school/)

Wezas
06-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Jesae
I want to move up into something more challenging, and a bit more...exotic.

It's wrong that I pulled just this phrase out of her entire post, isn't it? :(

Showal
06-17-2005, 10:04 AM
If your manager told you that you can keep a 4 inch clown fish in a 5 gallon tank, he lied to you.

Showal
06-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Here's my suggestion. Get a bigger tank, at the minimum a 20 gallon. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm being honest. If you're worried about the cost of maintenance, there are places you can find cheap stuff. If what you want is a challenge, a salt water tank of any size is going to be considerably more challenging than a fresh water tank.

To control algae, it will get out of control, especially if you have the appropriate lighting, I suggest you get a protein skimmer. The easiest least messy one is the CPR-Backpack. Generally what you sell at Petsmart will not be good to use because they can be VERY finicky with how they operate. A protein skimmer will remove the proteins and nitrates that the algae lives off of. It will make a world of difference. Much better than a UV sterilizer.

Cheap fish equipment sites:

www.bigalsonline.com

www.liveaquaria.com

www.saltwaterfish.com

Big Al's and Live Aquaria generally get most of my business. Prices are seriously reduced about 40-60% of what you'll pay at Petsmart or any smaller fish store.

Shari
06-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Thank you Showal, that is what I was looking for.

Those protein skimmers are really cool, I didn't really see the need to get one with the 5 gallon because it seemed like overkill. I'll go ahead and hold off until I decide to find a place to keep a 20 gallon. (The five was nice because it could be held on a side table.)

Showal
06-17-2005, 11:04 AM
If you have an old freshwater tank you're looking to get rid of the fish, simply resell them to a small fish store or give them to petsmart for adoption, then use the tank. Substrate and live rock are two of the most important things in a salt water tank. Approximately 1 pound of live rock per gallon is appropriate. It gets expensive though, about $10/pound.

Fish are pretty cool to have. I have a 55 gallon freshwater community tank with all sorts of driftwood and plants in it. I've set up a 38 gallon salt water tank for my brother, but he doesnt take proper care of it. I know how to though. If you have any questions in the future, U2U me.

Fengus
06-18-2005, 02:32 AM
If you have live coral you are gonna need light, big time. I wouldn't bother, additionally I wouldn't take coral from the wild, its harmful and you can get fragments from other hobbists cheaply or free. But I would keep it simple for your first saltwater tank and stick with fish and dead coral for decoration.

Without the cash for a proper saltwater tank you are gonna have to do a lot of work. A skimmer, UV and RO are a good base line, then again if you have the time and the commitment then 5gal wouldn't be a big deal without any of that, but you will need to do frequent water changes and you'll need a salinity meter/tests or some very exacting standards.

Good luck, saltwater aquariums are quite beautiful, but expensive to start.