PDA

View Full Version : Notes from SimuCon

Nilandia
06-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Greetings!

Since I took my laptop with me to SimuCon, I've been using it to take notes. Instead of posting it all over the boards here (especially since my notes are bulleted in Word), I'll be uploading them periodically for everyone to read.

Notes can be found at http://www.nilandia.com/simucon.htm

Enjoy!

Nilandia

StrayRogue
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Thats great Nilandia! Shame rogues get nothing again.

Doyle Hargraves
06-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Glad to see Call Familiar is finally getting some love.

Makkah
06-16-2005, 08:06 PM
<<Thats great Nilandia! Shame rogues get nothing again. >>

Shame you're apparently retarded.

StrayRogue
06-16-2005, 08:07 PM
I'd like to know what they've gotten from previous Simucons, besides LM.

StrayRogue
06-16-2005, 08:13 PM
No, I didn't think you could do it.

Makkah
06-16-2005, 08:27 PM
The fact that you guys got the most intricate Guild Skill to date means shit to you, apparently. Not to mention Shadow Mastery,
Automatic STEALTH GET From Hiding, Dust Shroud, Groin Kick, SILENT STRIKE, and a few other fairly good CMANs that aren't rogue specific.

StrayRogue
06-16-2005, 08:30 PM
So every rogue is a locksmith now? OK. It was also done part time by a few GMs and took well over a year to complete when it had been initially released. Automatic stealth get from hiding isn't anything near the level of a new spell. Its most likely a line of code. As for CMs, look at the level of CMs available to warriors and say that rogues get the best deal.

Makkah
06-16-2005, 08:32 PM
<<As for CMs, look at the level of CMs available to warriors and say that rogues get the best deal.>>

That wasn't the original argument.

StrayRogue
06-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes the argument is they hardly got anything. Compared to warriors they got the bum deal.

Soulpieced
06-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Have you ever seen the bard cman list? There isn't even anything else worth me training in.

StrayRogue
06-16-2005, 08:36 PM
You get spells. You and me both know SP that you don't NEED anything to be a killer hunter as a bard, especially at cap.

Soulpieced
06-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Shh, I'm just saying the bard cman list stinks.

Makkah
06-16-2005, 08:40 PM
<<I'd like to know what they've gotten from previous Simucons, besides LM. >>

<<Yes the argument is they hardly got anything. >>

Do you English people have a word for "contradiction" ?

Oh wait...

StrayRogue
06-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Compare it to say...Rangers or Empaths and tell me they haven't gotten a bum deal. LM doesn't mean shit for alot of rogues.

Numbers
06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Not much in there for Sorcerers for me to even consider coming back.

That phase stuff sounds neat. It's too bad it's been suggested for the past TEN fucking years.

The additions to Disease are also shitty. Who cares about contagion when the initial disease is too weak to even make a dent in a creatures health?

And no cross-realm teleportation for 740? Don't bother with the fucking spell, then. It'll require preparing expensive ingredients for a crappier version of Transferrence? Why waste the time coding it?

It sounds like wizards are going to end up getting with their elementals what Sorcerers wanted all along for their demons.

Some Rogue
06-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Heh, they were talking at the last simucon about some of those familiar changes. I'll believe it when I see them.

mgoddess
06-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Some Rogue
Heh, they were talking at the last simucon about some of those familiar changes. I'll believe it when I see them.

Just like the damned Layered clothing system and the ESP improvements...those were all slated for HSN *last* summer...and still aren't out. :mad:

YancyDC
06-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for putting these up, I'm not a complainer so that's all I'll say. :)

Trinitis
06-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by YancyDC
Thanks for putting these up, I'm not a complainer so that's all I'll say. :)

God! Don't you ever stop complaining?!?

:D

Gan
06-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Compare it to say...Rangers or Empaths and tell me they haven't gotten a bum deal. LM doesn't mean shit for alot of rogues.

Are you implying that empaths have gotten a great deal with CM's? :lol2:

Here's an empath's list of CM's.

Jaken, the following Combat Maneuvers are available for you to train in:

Combat Movement (cmovement), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 4)
Combat Mastery (cmastery), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 8)
Dirtkick (dirtkick), Rank 2 (CM points needed: 6)
Disarm Weapon (disarm), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 4)
Feint (feint), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 4)
Precision (precision), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 8)
Subdual Strike (sstrike), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 4)
Multi-Fire (mfire), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 4)
Trip (trip), Rank 1 (CM points needed: 4)

That made me really jump for joy since I like more of a combat minded empath than a sit on your ass healer.

Warriorbird
06-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Feint's awesome. Precision decent. Combat Mastery potentially useful. Disarm potentially useful for defense. Rest = eh.

Drew
06-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by mgoddess

Just like the damned Layered clothing system

Good, I hope it never comes.

StrayRogue
06-17-2005, 06:57 AM
Not CM's for Empaths, Ganalon. Changes for Empaths in general. But like a previous poster, I'll believe half the stuff they say when I see it. I remember last years radio show. The highlights were: improved EBP messaging (we got that finally last month and looks like it was written by someone without an ounce of creativity in their body), Bounty system (not released), travel via griffins (not released), alternative EXP system (not released). In fact all the big system releases they said would be done HAVEN'T been with the exception of Paladins.

Czeska
06-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Drew

Not sure why you wouldn't want it, but anyway..

I believe the reason this isn't out yet is because it was GM Mitra's project, and she moved to HJ.

Czeska
06-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Nilandia, thanks for posting this. It's the first year I haven't been to Simucon since I've played (3.5 years). Have fun!

Makkah
06-17-2005, 08:37 AM
<<travel via griffins (not released)>>

Pegasi.

06-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Frankly, the changes really don't have me all excited at all, which is a first. Take for instance the disease improvements. Who cares? Why would I piss my mana away on a cast of disease, which means I can ward monsters, when I could just nail them with 702 or 705, do more initial damage AND get a stun? It just doesn't make sense to leave a monster alive longer just to get use out of disease.

This is expecially true at higher level hunting areas. Why would I ever want to leave monsters, who happen to have potentially deadly manuvers or spells, alive and use disease when I could drop them easier with another spell. Give me a break. Damage over time spells have no business in Gemstone unless they are for killing people in town fine free. The combat system isn't made to accomodate spells like this.

- Arkans

AnticorRifling
06-17-2005, 09:34 AM
I don't see anything real exciting for wizards. But maybe that's because I don't care about familiars that much and because the only other big announcement is some spells that aren't out yet. Color me skeptical but I'll waiting to pass judgement until they are really live.

That being said no one has the right to say shit about their lack of CMANs until they get access to the wizard CMAN list. :cool:

AnticorRifling
06-17-2005, 09:35 AM
But then again, even though I want a bunch of CMANS I don't want the profession to get anymore simply because I still believe all classes are not created equal. Even if that does hinder me.

Sean of the Thread
06-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Arkans
Frankly, the changes really don't have me all excited at all, which is a first. Take for instance the disease improvements. Who cares? Why would I piss my mana away on a cast of disease, which means I can ward monsters, when I could just nail them with 702 or 705, do more initial damage AND get a stun? It just doesn't make sense to leave a monster alive longer just to get use out of disease.

This is expecially true at higher level hunting areas. Why would I ever want to leave monsters, who happen to have potentially deadly manuvers or spells, alive and use disease when I could drop them easier with another spell. Give me a break. Damage over time spells have no business in Gemstone unless they are for killing people in town fine free. The combat system isn't made to accomodate spells like this.

- Arkans

I agree.. disease is for casting on fuktards. But.. what if you cast it at a fuktard in town and it spreads all over the fucking place... that would rock. 100 landing noobs running around scream for undisease. I like the phase improvements.

06-17-2005, 09:47 AM
It won't happen, Xyelin. It would be great if the ability could work that, but it won't. Not only would the general outcry would be tremendous from the player base (The Gemstone player base suffers from the same thing as the SWG player base, the "NERF NERF NERF!" syndrom rather than "MAKE EVERY CLASS STRONGER!") and it would never come to pass. Too bad. A better suggestion is to just scrap all damage over time (DoT) spells altogether. They have no place in this game and are just a waste of code.

- Arkans

mgoddess
06-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Czeska

I believe the reason this isn't out yet is because it was GM Mitra's project, and she moved to HJ.

Oy, I hope the fact that Mitra's gone to HJ isn't the only reason why the LCS isn't out yet. I really enjoy LCS's myself...as long as they're done right. heh

06-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Frankly, its all about cosmetic changes that Gemstone needs right now. They are trying to make combat more interesting and varied, but its going to end up as a failure. The system that we use now is based on hard hits and stuns. Leave it that way and have spells and attacks do that and just stick with role-playing changes.

- Arkans

Czeska
06-17-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Czeska

Oy, I hope the fact that Mitra's gone to HJ isn't the only reason why the LCS isn't out yet. I really enjoy LCS's myself...as long as they're done right. heh

This is what I was told by a friend who also went to be an HJ GM. Not that it's been scrapped, but that there was no one else to work on it for the time being.

Sean of the Thread
06-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Arkans
It won't happen, Xyelin. It would be great if the ability could work that, but it won't. Not only would the general outcry would be tremendous from the player base (The Gemstone player base suffers from the same thing as the SWG player base, the "NERF NERF NERF!" syndrom rather than "MAKE EVERY CLASS STRONGER!") and it would never come to pass. Too bad. A better suggestion is to just scrap all damage over time (DoT) spells altogether. They have no place in this game and are just a waste of code.

- Arkans

Oh I wasn't serious as I know that would never happen.. but boy would that be fun. I already want to get a group of DE to invade the landing and kill all the noobs.

Quite frankly this game is boring.

[Edited on 6-17-2005 by Xyelin]

06-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I've been having the boredom issue as well. I'll log in, sit at the park and lose interest almost immediately. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Rift grinding has become painfully boring and the isolation is killing me. Guess that's why I've been hitting up WoW a lot. Dunno, maybe I'm missing something?

- Arkans

Leetahkin
06-17-2005, 11:51 AM
The Landing is boring period, imo.
It's usually why Ent is flirty a lot, to keep it fun and interesting. She meets a lot of people that way.
And when I get really bored, I have a tendency to waste hours travelling from RR to Mule for a hunt. Then immediately remember why I left Mule hunting and run back to RR to hunt hags again.

You just need someone around ya to make it fun.

Doyle Hargraves
06-17-2005, 01:53 PM
This is what I was told by a friend who also went to be an HJ GM. Not that it's been scrapped, but that there was no one else to work on it for the time being.

Isn't it refreshing to see where the extra money from the price hikes (and probably most merchant events) are going?

<<rogue gripes>>

What's wrong with rogues right now that they need even more? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just curious what's wrong with rogues, because from what I can tell they consistently stomp more ass than just about any other profession out in the field.

Jolena
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Being a rogue, I can honestly say that we as a profession don't have anything that needs immediate improvement upon. I would much rather see other professions receive the improvements to spells and combat that they are severely in need of first. Once that is done and I can feel that everyone is indeed even (which will probably not ever happen) improvements wise, then I will call for rogue improvements if any are even needed. Just my opinion, granted, but I do feel that rogues are sitting 'pretty' right now comparitively.

Nilandia
06-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Notes are now up from the State of Elanthia and a good portion of the table discussions, which includes a bunch of information on artisan skills and races. Notes are found after the professions notes at http://www.nilandia.com/simucon.htm

Nilandia

Burnt out Priestess
06-17-2005, 05:59 PM
i didnt see any other notes but the profession ones.

Latrinsorm
06-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I do.
GM who coded the system likened whip-blades to whipsTranslation: GM who coded the system is painfully uninformed.
Customization will be broad – with very few limitations you can alter items
Offering classic dungeon crawl a la D&DThese pwnz0rize though.

Nilandia
06-17-2005, 06:36 PM
More updates! The rest of my notes from the discussions from today are up, including town updates, both in the planning stages and in construction.

Enjoy!

Nilandia

Nilandia
06-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Burnt out Priestess
i didnt see any other notes but the profession ones.
Scroll down more. I add notes to the bottom.

Nilandia

Syberus
06-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Any word on the new hunting areas? Or did I miss them in there somewhere, I was kind of skimming.

Nilandia
06-18-2005, 02:45 AM
The seminar on new hunting areas is tomorrow.

Here's the rundown on the schedule.

Noon: Plat/Premium Create an Area
Noon: Alchemy
1:30pm: Immersive Worlds
1:30pm: Bounties
3:00pm: Plat/Premium Q&A
3:00pm: New Society
4:30pm: New Experiences
4:30pm: New Hunting Areas

Still haven't decided what I want to attend on all of them. I'll definitely be going to alchemy and I'm leaning strongly to immersive worlds and the new society, but I have no idea whether to go to new experiences or hunting areas.

The profession faire and the discussion faire were wonderful the past 2 days. I could literally wander around the tables in a huge room and bug GMs for info. It's how I was able to get so much for you guys.

Nilandia

Nilandia
06-18-2005, 03:52 PM
More notes have been uploaded, now detailing the new alchemy and bounty systems, as well as building immersive worlds. The notes, as always, can be found at http://www.nilandia.com/simucon.htm

Enjoy!

Nilandia

Jolena
06-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Love the updates, Nilandia keep em coming! :yes:

Latrinsorm
06-18-2005, 04:22 PM
15) Audience reps are doubtfulTHANK YOU JESUS.

Also, thanks Nilandia for posting it all up and stuff.

Makkah
06-18-2005, 05:36 PM
<<6) First society will be a Dwarven society>>

I think I will start planning my Simu bombing run now. Jesus Christ what a fucking dumb idea.

Ilvane
06-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Must be a big push for things Dwarven.;) :lol:

-A

Bobby
06-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Ever notice that with each simucon, the same requests are made, the same responses are given, and it just keeps going and going like the energizer bunny?

:yawn:

HarmNone
06-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Wow! Lots of information on what's being planned. Thanks, Nilandia, for bringing it to our readers! :)

Snapp
06-18-2005, 06:54 PM
You rock Nilandia. Thanks for updating us! :thumbsup:

Nilandia
06-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Wow! Lots of information on what's being planned. Thanks, Nilandia, for bringing it to our readers! :)
Hee. You think I'm done? ;)

Got all my notes up now! I have notes on the new society, premium home expansions (came in late, so I didn't get it all), new hunting areas and new experience gains.

That's the end of the seminars, but if I hear more, I'll let you know!

Nilandia

YancyDC
06-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks again for the info, Nilandia!

But:
5) No new areas for River’s Rest

Boo!

Burnt out Priestess
06-19-2005, 12:46 AM
But:

Boo!

But Teras is finally getting a higher level hunting creature after all this time we older folks there been asking.

Woohoo!
:bouncy:

YancyDC
06-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Burnt out Priestess
But:

Boo!

But Teras is finally getting a higher level hunting creature after all this time we older folks there been asking.

Woohoo!
:bouncy:
I'll be sure to celebrate in about 70 levels. :)

Sylph
06-19-2005, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin
I agree.. disease is for casting on fuktards. But.. what if you cast it at a fuktard in town and it spreads all over the fucking place... that would rock. 100 landing noobs running around scream for undisease. I like the phase improvements.

I start howling with laughter at the idea of the n00bs screaming for undisease.

Omens
06-19-2005, 04:59 AM
First of all thankyou Nilandia for your work in taking notes and sharing them with us.

1) Looking at an expansion to the Stronghold area in the Landing (Illoke)

a) Approximately 80th level area, increase current level of the area

b) Currently working on it, slated for late summer, first for release

c) Estimated 50 rooms

I'm guessing the stronghold will stop at 80'th level ? Or will it be 80 - 89'th level. Or did anyone know ? Did they say anything about adding new creatures to stronghold at all ?

Asha
06-19-2005, 05:06 AM
Woohoo, just when I thought I'd never hunt Illoke again!
Yey.

:stfu:

[Edited on 6-19-2005 by Drayal]