PDA

View Full Version : Training path for raise/smiter

Shari
06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm just mildly curious, is it necessary to 2x in spell aiming for a cleric that hunts primarily with 302? What spells does it help?

I'm 2xing in it now but if I don't have to I'd rather dump the TPs into something else.

Mistomeer
06-15-2005, 03:47 PM
No, 1x Brawl, 1x Shield, 1x HP, 24 Ranks SMC, 1x religion lore, rest in spells.

Try to keep Cleric ranks at least 20 above your level and spirit circles around 2/3 of your level.

StrayRogue
06-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Spell Aim in no way effects 302.

Kitsun
06-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Spell aim is only required on 306 and 111. It used to be a LOT more useful before 317, since 302 was creature type aligned but now its pretty blah.

You don't really have to train to be a raiser as a cleric. 24 ranks in SMC, spells 308 and 318 and you're good to go.

Flurbins
06-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Turns out 302/312/317 don't work on dogmatists too well (huge TD boost) in temple wyneb, so spell aiming can sure come in handy there.

What are you hurting for TPs in?

Apotheosis
06-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Flurbins
Turns out 302/312/317 don't work on dogmatists too well (huge TD boost) in temple wyneb, so spell aiming can sure come in handy there.

What are you hurting for TPs in?

according the quote at the bottom of my signature, now that Alarke is gone, you are the definitive resource on all mechanics clerical ;)

but seriously, listen to this guy's advice, he knows what he is talking about (at least he has me convinced.. but then, so do all the voices in my head too.....

Flurbins
06-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Yswithe

according the quote at the bottom of my signature, now that Alarke is gone, you are the definitive resource on all mechanics clerical ;)

You're so very strange.

Anyway, the basic package on smite clerics:
1x armor until brig (chain is better)
20-25 physical fitness
.5x Arcane Symbols
.5x MIU
0x or 2x spell aim
1x harness power
.5x-1x religion lore
1x spirit mana control
Everythign else goes into spells.

Smite has some annoying properties to it. The damage cap is 45 before the flares, so you'll very rarely do more than 80-90 damage per cast, no matter how high your CS is. If you channel it instead of cast, you have the chance for a big boost (actually a punishment) in the spell, the infusion! It's based on your religion lore, and with 100 ranks my max damage on it was 64, and it cost me 4 extra mana.

imho it wasn't ever worth it to channel smite, 4 mana for 19 damage is a total rip off.

Oh yeah, good luck raising. Heres what you'll find is the common procedure.
deadguy falls
116 deadguy
Hall of the Arkati/Temple, Altar, whatever.
You see deadguy (who is neither laying down, nor dead)

Flurbins
06-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh, as to the brawl/shield advice, I just don't know what the attraction is. I'm in 4x torso chain with a 4x runestaff, very basic equiptment. I find that self spelled, I can lay down stance off in front of a muscular supplicant and take a hit and really have no problem worrying about dying. The only time I ever die is when I get cheat manuvered, or when a manuver makes me prone and stunned for 8 rounds, and 4 or 5 creatures take turns whaling on me. I don't even try to time my open hand offensive channels, because at worst I'm going to get a rank 1 and a 1 round stun from anything in my age range. (barring manuvers of course)

[Edited on 6-15-2005 by Flurbins]

AnticorRifling
06-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Supplicant's are a poor example. They mstrike and swing that's it. Big deal. I'm a polearm using wizard and they give me zero problems. I still think shield/brawl is the way to go for casting characters. Bolt DS, open hand casting, nothing to get disarmed, it's money.

Mistomeer
06-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Most clerics I know just skipped over dogmatists in Wyneb...myself included.

1x Religion lore is completely worth it. 312 isn't really worthwhile without the lore there.

Spell AIM is a ripoff.

I was trained for torso chain and wore curibouilli for the lower hindrance, but if you want to wear heavier armor, dump the TP's.

.5x AS and .5x MIU doesn't impact 302/312/317 so I'm not sure why you'd do that other than the usual scroll reading and such.

You only need 24 ranks of SMC to raise and mana shouldn't be a problem so there's not a real need to go above that.

Flurbins
06-15-2005, 06:23 PM
If you want the easiest path possible, I reccomend going heavy weapon (polearm, 2hander) until around level 38, then fixskilling into a pure. If nothing else, 302/306/111 are nice setup spells for the swing.

I reccomended the extra smc because you need the magic ranks somewhere, and it has more return on it than overtraining AS or MIU.

Mistomeer
06-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Flurbins

I reccomended the extra smc because you need the magic ranks somewhere, and it has more return on it than overtraining AS or MIU.

Oh, I'm talking about going brawling/shield, which is the way to go if you're not doing spell aim.

Flurbins
06-15-2005, 06:42 PM
I see.

Bottom line: It's really hard to make a cleric unviable.
Spell aim is a viable option pre-50 (especially before your CS matures)
So are weapons and brawl/shield, and CS only.
Unless you're going crazy and trying to make a monster, you should have plenty of TPs to do whatever you want.
Raising sucks in GS4.
Have fun with it, train in what you feel is fun, don't be afraid to hunt living things, and enjoy the cleric.

Shari
06-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks, you guys have been EXTREMELY helpful.

I know the odds of raising someone for primary exp is are pretty much null. I plan on having her hunt/raise. I'm not really hurting for TPs but it would be nice to toss any extras I may have into something fun like...stealing. I mean, cause it's Jesae, and it just wouldn't be right for her to not cause any trouble.

And its not like I'm trying to get her up to level 50, HAHAHAHA. Yeah right.

Alarke
06-16-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm only leaving the game.. I'll be here to harass people with useless information for all eternity! I'm sure I'll be back once they get more high lvl hunting areas outside the nations...but on topic: Listen to Mistomeer.

Brawling and shield all the way for bolt defense... you'll never look back. Stay as far away from spell aim as possible, it's the biggest false sense of security TP drain you can find... runestaves arent worth it for a 302/312/317 cleric because it takes useful spell TPs and forces them into useless magic skills.

I suggest:
1x brawl
1x shield
1x religion
1x pt until max hp
1x first aid (for raising)
2.8x spells (just what i was able to manage)
1x harness power
24 smc
20 ranks of MIU if you want invis amulets or something, otherwise nothing in that or AS even.
Get into torso chain and dont think twice about it!

I always had about 20 higher CS than any cleric my training, and was able to uphunt a ton using this training plan. If you need help with CS calculations, lemme know... I'll be pissing more people off in the park and trying to sell crap

Lookkin
06-16-2005, 08:33 AM
How many trains to get into torso or cuir leathers? I never understood how many trains to lose the hindrance.

Thanks..

Lookkin

Alarke
06-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Has to do with armor ranks... i dont know about cuir, but I know doubles is 8, brig is 35, and torso chain is 50 to fully train down hindurance.

StrayRogue
06-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Cuir is 20. It used to be 22 for MAvA. 27 for studded.

MxPx1483
07-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the spell hinderance with torso chain and 50 ranks?

Alarke
07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
8/8/7