PDA

View Full Version : WoW finally got me

Volstock
06-14-2005, 10:18 AM
so I finally gave up and reinstall WoW. I need some advice on what server is fun to play and maybe some help getting start since I forgot all about it. Also on a side note what profession is better PVM wise Paladin or Hunter ? ( both will be human)

Groldar
06-14-2005, 10:19 AM
hunter is the best class imo. and come join me and my girl snowy on dunemaul. we'll buy you some frostedflakes and runecloth bagz111!

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Volstock
Also on a side note what profession is better PVM wise Paladin or Hunter ? ( both will be human)

Reroll Horde.

Keller
06-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Mos def come play on Dunemaul as horde.

If you're convinced you want to be an alliance pussy when at least come to Dunemaul so we can omgwtfpwn you, Barren Fury style.

PS - I would say mages rule pvp.

Volstock
06-14-2005, 10:25 AM
heh I don't care much for PVP I just wanna run around and find great items and packrat them. Also what's the difference between Horde and Alliance again ? Any advantage if I become one or the other ?

06-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Definately come play Horde on the Dunemaul and join the Barren Fury. One of the better guilds out there. There are a few advantages that Horde have over Alliance (ignoring the racial skill differences)

1. More experienced plays tend to play Horde.
2. Horde, in general, seem to have a better community.
3. Horde are hands down better in PvP.
4. Horde are just less annoying in general. I found Alliance players to just bug me.

- Arkans

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 10:35 AM
heh I don't care much for PVP I just wanna run around and find great items and packrat them. Also what's the difference between Horde and Alliance again ? Any advantage if I become one or the other ?

If you join the Alliance you will mainly be playing with 14 year old males that play female night elf characters (and Toj).

If you join Horde you will be severly outnumbered but playing with more skilled players.

Plus, you get to yell "FOR THE HORDE!"

Volstock
06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
HAHAHAHAHA LEROY !! Horde it is specailly after the fact that there will be 14 year old males playing females name TOJ in alliance. (heh) Also PB I havn't seen you at all in the park in GS so you better be on Dunemaul to help me hunt Freaking Dwarf !

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 10:56 AM
HAHAHAHAHA LEROY !! Horde it is specailly after the fact that there will be 14 year old males playing females name TOJ in alliance. (heh) Also PB I havn't seen you at all in the park in GS so you better be on Dunemaul to help me hunt Freaking Dwarf !

That's the only place he's been since the canceled his GS account. He's the guild leader.

Meos
06-14-2005, 11:04 AM
:flashes elven gang signs:

Server.. I enjoy feathermoon. Plenty of good pvp to go around for an RP server. The horde are good and well organized, but its fun bein one of those alliance pussies that can really mess em up. Can manage to find some fun RP if you look for it too.

Professions.. I'm partial to warriors. An arms/fury axe or polearm warrior is fun as hell. Most the time people are looking for warriors for groups, so ya get to meet alot of people and do alot of instances. plus they can kick ass in pvp, I got a good chance to beat just about anyone in duels, except priests and mages.. even then sometimes ya get lucky or they suck. But damage output for an axe warrior is sick... most the time I'm right below if not competeing with combat rogues and mages on damage done in instances where I don't have to main tank. plus I'm takin damage with redux of 40ish precent, and having 4500 or so hp. I like warriors!

[Edited on 6-14-2005 by Meos]

Volstock
06-14-2005, 11:09 AM
ARen't warriors repetitive ? I don't want to just sit and click and watch him whack a Monster to death I'd rather be doing something the whole time while trying to kill said monster like preping a spell or moving around and shoot it like a hunter.

Nieninque
06-14-2005, 11:11 AM
ARen't warriors repetitive ? I don't want to just sit and click and watch him whack a Monster to death I'd rather be doing something the whole time while trying to kill said monster like preping a spell or moving around and shoot it like a hunter.

Nah...that's a paladin

Wezas
06-14-2005, 11:15 AM

Then you seriously do not want to pick a Paladin.

Warriors have a decent number of moves they use during combat. You also might want to consider a rogue.

I had a 48 Paladin that I got bored with (right click once, wait till it's dead). I changed to rogue (mine is now 55) and now it takes some thought as to the approach you should take towards a mob.

How much older is he? Should I sneak up and ambush? Cheapshot to stun him? Fire my crossbow to pull him?

If he starts to prep a spell I need to kick him, should I sinister strike and then lay down a massive eviscerate? Or would it be more helpful to take his armor down by 1200+. If he starts to kick my ass should I sprint or vanish?

Kidney shots, gouge, sap, etc. Rogues are one of the most fun/exiting professions to play.

Meos
06-14-2005, 11:19 AM
There is an art to warriors being able to do the max amount of damage possible, and its alot of fun. Usin mortalstrikes, over power.. theres alot of warrior skills.

I will admit a shield/one is just sit back and watch the show pretty much, and its long and boring. Then theres the how good are arm/fury warriors at tanking vs a protection warrior, but Arm/fury can hold aggro fine if ya know what yer doin.

Meos
06-14-2005, 11:21 AM
And... rogues fear us.

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Meos
And... rogues fear us.

Meh...some do.

Kiting warriors is fun. Your armor typically gives me more problems than your overpower/weapons do.

It'll be interesting to take on Keilum now that he's got his Reaper and he's arms/fury specced. If only WoW wouldn't die on me after 5 minutes.

Meos
06-14-2005, 11:28 AM
only rogues that are tough are decked out subetly rogues. They get a good stunlock goin thats it. A rogue shouldn't kite you if your using a slow weapon either, thats only screwing them.

Trinitis
06-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Sence no one seems to be answering your questions directly, I'll give it a go.

First to note : Humans cannot be hunters. :) Only elves and dwarves.

Between Hunter and Paladin, it really depends on what you want to do. Hunters have more stuff they can do during combat. They have the pet to help with combat, and they have some skills with pvp.

Paladins are pretty bland when it comes to combat, the trade of being they can basicly live forever if you play your cards and talents right. Both have their ups and downs.

As for a server, you've said you don't care for pvp that much, so I would not reccomend Dunemaul. Nothing agisnt the guys (and gals) there, but you stated your interested in running around and gathering nice items. Once you pass up level 30 or so, you are going to be forced into pvp when you atempt to hunt outside an instance. Again, this is preference.

Horde vrs Alliance? That depends on the class, really. Paladins cannot be a horde, so you'd lean twords hunter. Races that can be hunters are Elf, Dwarf, Tauren, Troll, and Orc.

Each race has its abilities that add to a hunter.

Elf : Extra dodge, and the ablity to hide if it comes up.

Dwarf : That stoneskin skill. Raises your defence at the cost of speed for a few seconds. Good in a pinch.

Tauren : Extra HP, and warstomp for stun.

Troll : Bonus damage to beasts, berzerk for faster attack speed.

Orc : Your pet does more damage, and a bonus to axes.

Nieninque
06-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Someone explain what Kiting is please?

Groldar
06-14-2005, 11:40 AM
There is an art to warriors being able to do the max amount of damage possible, and its alot of fun. Usin mortalstrikes, over power.. theres alot of warrior skills.

I will admit a shield/one is just sit back and watch the show pretty much, and its long and boring. Then theres the how good are arm/fury warriors at tanking vs a protection warrior, but Arm/fury can hold aggro fine if ya know what yer doin.

Maybe you can hold Agro on Van Cleef, or the Beast in UBRS, but buddy when you get to MC, Arms/Fury just doesn't cut it. Its really great that you can kill rogues and you're so ubar, but do your guild a favor and respec and do the job you're supposed to do.

Arms/furry warriors are the bane of servers. Our guild, trust me its one of the best, won't let them attempt to tank anymore. As far as your Barren guild, where are you guys in terms of game content?....

[Edited on 6-14-2005 by Groldar]

Trinitis
06-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Kiting is also known as "fading" in some games. You basicly hit them from afar, find some way to slow them (Ice bolt, concussion shot, etc) and keep walking backwards while attacking. They never reach you, and you just kill them from range.

theotherjohn
06-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Also on a side note what profession is better PVM wise Paladin or Hunter ? ( both will be human)

I have a alliance guild on the dunemaul PvP server called Carpe Diem.

If you are interested let me know

Numbers
06-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque
Someone explain what Kiting is please?

Staying away from the mobs melee range while still doing damage to it.

Hunters and warlocks are generally the best kiters, due to their pets, ranged attacks, and their ability to slow the mob down/fear it.

In order to kite as a hunter you'd hit it with an initial wing clip, gain some distance, and then do a bunch of spinning arcane shot jumps, and running to get some distance between each autoshot. Cheetah helps with this. The other day in Alterac Valley I was forced to kite Korrak for about 5 minutes. Kept Cheetah up, would hit him with concussive shot and distracting shot whenever it cooled down, and he wasn't able to hit me once. Meanwhile, while he's running around in circles trying to reach me, everybody else is running along with him and pounding on him.

Nieninque
06-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Groldar

Maybe you can hold Agro on Van Cleef, or the Beast in UBRS, but buddy when you get to MC, Arms/Fury just doesn't cut it. Its really great that you can kill rogues and you're so ubar, but do your guild a favor and respec and do the job you're supposed to do.

Arms/furry warriors are the bane of servers. Our guild, trust me its one of the best, won't let them attempt to tank anymore. As far as your Barren guild, where are you guys in terms of game content?....

[Edited on 6-14-2005 by Groldar]

Snowy, I'm purchasing wow this evening.

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 11:55 AM
only rogues that are tough are decked out subetly rogues. They get a good stunlock goin thats it. A rogue shouldn't kite you if your using a slow weapon either, thats only screwing them.

I've got nearly half of my points in Subtlety. I kite warriors only to regen energy and stay close enough to be out of intercept range. Run in, Hemo, SS, Evis, CS, etc, followed by Gouge and put some space in between us again.

Meos
06-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I didn't say we could out tank a protection warrior. But I've main tanked 5 man scholo runs and 5 man scarlet runs, no big deal. In MC, theres gonna be a ton of tanks, one of them is bound to be protection, my guild has 2 that enjoy it. I enjoy arms/fury, having a high armor damage dealer that can switch the tank mode if needed isn't a bad thing.

Besides I PvP every day, and do an MC raid two three times a month. So, no I won't respec thank you.

Parkbandit
06-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SnatchWrangler

And... rogues fear us.

Meh...some do.

Kiting warriors is fun. Your armor typically gives me more problems than your overpower/weapons do.

It'll be interesting to take on Keilum now that he's got his Reaper and he's arms/fury specced. If only WoW wouldn't die on me after 5 minutes.

I'd rather face a warrior than a druid as a rogue. Druids just mess me up with their faery fire/moonspam and weed.

Nieninque
06-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Super sticky glue

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
I'd rather face a warrior than a druid as a rogue. Druids just mess me up with their faery fire/moonspam and weed.

You won't later on. You're fighting warriors that aren't in plate yet remember.

If Druids are messing you up with any of those skills (and it's not on a mass PvP scale), well...you've got alot to learn.

You realize you're about x10 better in melee than a Druid, right?

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Super sticky glue

The only time I use glue on a druid is when they've turned tail (literally) and are running from me.

There's no need to use glue, as they can't slow you down.

Parkbandit
06-14-2005, 12:03 PM

I'll be honest then.. Dunemaul is not the server for you. If you are looking for just the aquisition of items and gold and not PvP, my suggestion would be to locate a good RP server or normal server where you choose whether or not you will engage in PvP.

On a PvP server, by going into contested or enemy held territories, you are at risk of being attacked by the opposing faction. You have no choice. On the other two servers, you have to either turn on that PvP flag or attack another opposing faction for them to attack you.

Nieninque
06-14-2005, 12:05 PM

Super sticky glue

The only time I use glue on a druid is when they've turned tail (literally) and are running from me.

There's no need to use glue, as they can't slow you down.

Yeah...and actually glue is pretty useless ifif they know what they are doing as they can shapeshift and get out of it.

Parkbandit
06-14-2005, 12:07 PM

You won't later on. You're fighting warriors that aren't in plate yet remember.

If Druids are messing you up with any of those skills (and it's not on a mass PvP scale), well...you've got alot to learn.

You realize you're about x10 better in melee than a Druid, right?

That's true.. plate will make a difference.

And yes, I realize I kick ass close up.. so my tactic on fighting anything is get in their face. The problem with druids are when they get the drop on me. If they cast that first moon shit/faery fire at me.. ir prevents me from using stealth/vanish. From there, I try to sprint to them and get weeded. I'll throw a couple arrows at them for the 10 or so seconds the weed holds me down.. but in the meantime, they have backed away so that they can hit me with another weed before I get to them. Then they just spam the shit out of me with moon and I barely get an opportunity to touch them.

If I get to them first.. then they are dead. I can lock them down pretty easily until they are down.

Wezas
06-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Quite a few of us play on the Argent Dawn (RP Server) on the alliance side. Our guild is "Hyjal Protectorate" and you can contact an officer (Tilartis, Greye, Winnoa, Nyteshade, Hadiar, and a few more I can think of) to join in.

Back
06-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Earthen Ring is a medium population RP server. Which ever side you take is just more of a style preference than anything, although if you want to play a paladin or shaman, you have to pick one or the other.

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 12:14 PM
The problem with druids are when they get the drop on me. If they cast that first moon shit/faery fire at me.. ir prevents me from using stealth/vanish. From there, I try to sprint to them and get weeded.
If I get to them first.. then they are dead. I can lock them down pretty easily until they are down.

I'm pretty damn sure you can still vanish out of being rooted even when you've been hit by moon/fairyfire. You don't go into stealth, but you still break the root.

The only two classes that give me less of a problem than Druids are Hunters and Warlocks.

I'm thinking my order of ease would be...

Hunters, Warlocks, Druids, Rogues, Paladins, Priests, Warriors, then Mages being most difficult for me.

Hulkein
06-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Funny, I tear up any rogue I see, unless of course they sneak up and hit me first.

Trinitis
06-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I think so Snatch. I watched a video a few days ago of a rogue who did just that. Vanished out of a frost nova and it broke the root.

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Adredrin
I think so Snatch. I watched a video a few days ago of a rogue who did just that. Vanished out of a frost nova and it broke the root.

That's what I thought. Half the explanation I was going through 60+ vanish powders a day in Alterac.

Parkbandit
06-14-2005, 12:35 PM

The problem with druids are when they get the drop on me. If they cast that first moon shit/faery fire at me.. ir prevents me from using stealth/vanish. From there, I try to sprint to them and get weeded.

I'm pretty damn sure you can still vanish out of being rooted even when you've been hit by moon/fairyfire. You don't go into stealth, but you still break the root.

The only two classes that give me less of a problem than Druids are Hunters and Warlocks.

I'm thinking my order of ease would be...

Hunters, Warlocks, Druids, Rogues, Paladins, Priests, Warriors, then Mages being most difficult for me.

SWEET... I was saving the vanish because I didn't want to be invisible for 2 seconds and still be in a damn weed.

I'll have to give it a go tonight.

Wezas
06-14-2005, 12:36 PM
There any good sites for some PvP videos? I need something to occupy my work time other than these message boards and waiting for WoW to come back up.

theotherjohn
06-14-2005, 12:38 PM
[quote]

Have you fought a druid with a true PvP build that uses Innervate?

Parkbandit
06-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Please tell me you are such a druid Toj.. because I can't wait to see you on the battlefield.

How old is Toj now? Stabbed is only 36.. so maybe we can visit with each other tonight?

:)

Trinitis
06-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
There any good sites for some PvP videos? I need something to occupy my work time other than these message boards and waiting for WoW to come back up.

warcraftvideos.com is the website I go to.

theotherjohn
06-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Please tell me you are such a druid Toj.. because I can't wait to see you on the battlefield.

Stabbed is only 36.. so maybe we can visit with each other tonight?

only 36??

slacker.........

You would not see me till I was doing the no storm on you

Toj is not quite 36 but lets just say I am prowling the early contested lands

Wezas
06-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Adredrin
warcraftvideos.com is the website I go to.

How long has it been? Looks like just a placeholder there now.

warcraftmovies.com uses filefront and their bandwidth has exceeded.

Parkbandit
06-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

Stabbed is only 36.. so maybe we can visit with each other tonight?

only 36??

slacker.........

You would not see me till I was doing the no storm on you

Toj is not quite 36 but lets just say I am prowling the early contested lands

I'll be around those same areas for a while.. as I need to get my cooking ranks up and it requires young meat for the recipies.

I'll be on the lookout for you.. my young druid friend. I can already hear your guild chat going now...

Toj: "Fucking Stabbed god damn killed me again. WHY THE FUCK ISN'T ANY OF YOU OLDER MEMBERS HELPING ME OUT! GOD DAMN, YOU SHOULD BE HELPING ME KILL THIS FUCKING PRICK"

Toj has left the guild.

Trinitis
06-14-2005, 12:50 PM
err.. I ment warcraftmovies.com Heh.

SnatchWrangler
06-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Does it matter? (And yes, I have.)

Including Alliance druids decked out half in epics. Nvrfgt is my personal bitch.

Sade actually put up the best fight of any druid lately when I dueled her a couple weeks ago. But alot of that was her good timing of shifting and getting full health in bear form. I wasn't in alot of danger of losing, but the fight definately wore me down by the end it and it was me basically being able to outdamage/outlast her in melee.

Frankly, I'd love to hear what you consider the best PvP build for a druid is. I love druids that think Feral form is where it's at. HAH!

theotherjohn
06-14-2005, 01:06 PM

Does it matter? (And yes, I have.)

Frankly, I'd love to hear what you consider the best PvP build for a druid is. I love druids that think Feral form is where it's at. HAH!

feral form is for sure not the best build and pretty much useless at endgame.

I will post the exact build when I get home

Nieninque
06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Innervate is essential
I have feral therafter only to get cat faerie fire, good for getting the jump on rogues and keeping them unstealthed.
Balance is good for improved moonfire (longer range/more damage) and the improvements on the two roots spells.
Never really looked too far at it, as couldnt spare more than one point in balance :sniffle:

theotherjohn
06-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SnatchWranglerFrankly, I'd love to hear what you consider the best PvP build for a druid is. I love druids that think Feral form is where it's at. HAH!

7/11/33

Odups
06-14-2005, 06:02 PM
[Honest Questions about WoW]

[Smacktalk about Alliance]

[Smacktalk about RP Servers]

[Honest Recommendations]

[Smacktalk about Class Play Styles]

[OMGWTFPWN Talk about Rogues]

[Smacktalk about Roguish Adventures]

[Etc etc etc]

[Complete Hijack of Thread]

....But anyways :). If you're out to have fun of the no-PvP kind, you'll want to stay away from a PvP server, no matter how many friends/guildmates on it you'll still be stuck PvPing instead of PvEing.

There are pros and cons to Alliance and Horde. Lots of people play Alliance, you have a lot more people to find groups with. Then again, lots of idiots play Alliance, and you've got more competition in Battlegrounds since you'll face a queue. On Argent Dawn, I rarely hear very much drama from the Hordeside, and they seem to be a lot more organized and mature than lots of Alliance.

Classwise is all personal choice. I went and joined the rogue craze after capping my paladin, it was a COMPLETE difference. A ton of fun compared to the boredom of the paladin. If you're planning on going all the way to endgame, you might want to consider competition level. Rogue, hunters and paladins are in limitless supply (on most servers Allianceside I believe), so you might want to consider going for a lesser played class. It also depends on whether you're planning on soloing or grouping more. Hunters are great at soloing, from what I've always heard. Paladins are pretty good at soloing, still decent until around level 40 or so.

The good thing about WoW is that you can get the early levels down in a day or two. Level 10 I've usually reached in about 6 hours of play or so. Given, the early levels aren't the best way to determine how much you enjoy a class, but it's still a nice way to see how things will be in the future. You can always make the full 5 characters on a server and rotate playing them until you grow on one more than the others.

Good Luck!

Shari
06-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Awww, you guys make me wanna play again. :(

Volstock
06-14-2005, 08:01 PM
THANK YOU! Geez you ask an honest question about a game and wishing for advice and somehow it turn into a flame war . ( LMAO) seems like I'll be playing on a few server then. PVP server ( sticking for familiar faces) and RPing server( my personal Goal). so my choice for profession have change I'll try a Mage since I saw a Great guide IMHO posted here for CT by Adredrin. Oh and please don't worry about the PVP Aspect of the game since I just spend a month playing Diablo 2 expansion. Lastly I want to ask for Soloing purposes what is better ? a Mage or a Hunter ?

[Edited on 12-13-2003 by Volstock]

[Edited on 12-13-2003 by Volstock]

Trinitis
06-14-2005, 08:14 PM
for solo, a hunter would be better. Less damage up front. But no matter where ya go, you always have your own tank. :)

Trinitis
06-14-2005, 08:18 PM
on the other hand..if you come play on either Khadgar or Argent Dawn servers, I can help set you up (on khadgar) or get you into the guild on AD. :) Let me know if you drop into either.

Wezas
06-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Jesae
Awww, you guys make me wanna play again. :(

I'll get you another kitten.

Shari
06-14-2005, 10:26 PM
LOL.

Well, I'd likely play Alliance over Horde cause well...I've already got a level 30 rogue and don't wanna work another one up from scratch.

I'll probably re-download everything this weekend.

Tsa`ah
06-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
Funny, I tear up any rogue I see, unless of course they sneak up and hit me first.

I think it's just a rule with hunter vs anybody (-paladin/shaman), it's the first to get the drop.

I tear into most classes pretty badly if I get the drop on them. Rogues, priests, mages, and warlocks ... in order of ease.

If someone gets the drop on me it really depends on the circumstances. If I'm engaged in combat with a mob I'm generally screwed (as is the case 90% of the time in PvP). If I'm not engaged, be it traveling or picking a target to pull out of a mob, it depends on what the pet is set on. If the cat isn't on passive I lose a second hitting the passive and follow commands in an effort to get off a scatter shot and then switching over to cheetah while throwing a mark on my attacker. From there it just depends on how badly they reduced my health and how much mana I have left. With a rogue ... the switching pet modes and attempting a scatter shot is usually too long and I'm dead ... unless the player is an idiot.

In mass PvP, I don't think there's a better class to play so long as you play the cards right. Keep with the crowd, ditch the pet (it screams hunter and kill me first), and constantly toggle your targets as they enter and leave your range. It's not uncommon for me to have a 10:1 ratio of kills vs deaths simply from cycling through shot selections. That and the rare triple HK from a multi shot just puts a smile on my face.

Hulkein
06-15-2005, 01:46 AM
Heh, a triple HK multi-shot is awesome. I'm still waiting on one.

Just 30 minutes ago a retard rogue actually got off a first shot on me after I was done first-aiding from a battle. I just wing-clipped, ran, pelted em, repeat. The guy obviously wasn't the best PvPer, but I was happy to take out a same-leveled rogue without the first shot.

People talk shit on the hunter, but honestly, I haven't ever really doubted the skills of my character.

I guess there are just more badly played hunters than a lot of classes... It does take a lot of strategy and manuevering to be successful.

Hulkein
06-15-2005, 01:48 AM
PS.

Plus, we have << GROLOCK FEIGNS DEATH >>

theotherjohn
06-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Hulkein
PS.

Plus, we have << GROLOCK FEIGNS DEATH >>

on a non stop basis

Nieninque
06-15-2005, 08:27 AM