PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinions on my ideas

AnticorRifling
09-24-2003, 11:44 PM
I've got a few ideas that I want to run by you all. I want honest critizism and I know you lot have no problem letting people know what you think.

I've got three alters that I'd like to get done some time before the second coming. If I've got to go to a pay to play, find a merchant and be lucky enough to get picked (didn't get work done again tonight life goes on), or have someone pity me so be it.

Let me know what you think about these three items:

some ceremonial Ishan battle-skins

Heavy leather has been crafted into a suit of armor large enough for a giantman. Black studs rivet the seams, while small onyx-hued rolaren discs have been stitched on for additional protection. The back of the leathers is covered with a large bearskin, the hollowed head forming a fierce-looking helm. The bearskin is bound to the pauldrons with rolaren hammer clasps, each etched with Saramar runes surrounding the symbol of the Ishan from the Grot-karesh Hammer Clan.

a ceremonial Ishan flesh-ripper

This slightly curving blade has been crafted from pure eahnor and veined with onyx. The red metal has been folded upon itself over and over giving it a very fine edge and strong forge. Along the blade Saramar runes have been etched their meaning known only to Ishan long since past. The hilt has been wrapped in treated leather giving a comfortable yet secure grip. At the base of the hilt a large onyx stone etched with two crossed battle hammers and the letters "A.R." has been securly set.

a pair of black Ishan traveling boots

These well-used boots have been fashioned for comfort and durability and although old they have been well cared for. The thick leather tounge of each boot has been pulled high to protect the shins and secured by a thick onyx clasp. Both heels have been seared with miniture symbols of V'tull and small onyx rivets have been punched through the leather at the seam to ensure a snug fit.

Let me know what needs work, or what you would change. I'd like to get these fine tuned before I got them done.

Thanks people.

StrayRogue
09-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Flesh Ripper isn't a weapon base, so a no no.

Ishan is a culture, and you *might* be able to get, but it would be difficult. Sukara would do it most likely. I like the shows.

HarmNone
09-24-2003, 11:50 PM
They are all very tastefully done, in my opinion, Anticor. Hopefully, because they are so well-done, if you can get the right alterer that alterer will overlook the flesh-ripper thing and make them for you. Good luck!

HarmNone likes these a lot

Adhara
09-25-2003, 12:13 AM
I like them. I'm not sure what they allow for weapon bases but aside from that I only have two minor comments.

1) spotted a couple typos in the boots:

miniature and tongue

2) Consider removing the Ishan reference from the base description of the boots. There's nothing wrong with being proud of one's culture but if I may exaggerate...

You see Dark Elf Sorcerer
He is wearing a Faendryl pointy hat, a Faendryl tasliman, some Faendryl leathers, some Faendryl robes and some Faendryl boots.

You see what I'm saying. Save the Ishan in the base for the weapon and the armor because they are the perfect items to stamp culture names on but the boots or normal clothing like belts and shirts, I suggest saving the Ishan (or any culture) reference for the show. For instance, ask yourself, what makes these boots Ishan? Is it the cut? Is it because they have a unique stitch style? Is it because of what they use for laces? You can use that information in the show and I promise being that precise makes the item impressive.

StrayRogue
09-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Agreed, show, don't tell.

Solkern
09-25-2003, 12:25 AM
I must agree.

StrayRogue
09-25-2003, 01:22 AM
Weapon base alters are incredibly, incredibly rare these days. I tried a back-stabber at Anfelt to no avail. I only got the cookie knife because it wasn't out of base (It was still a knife).

Caramia
09-25-2003, 02:50 AM
The merchants have a list of acceptable names for weapons they're supposed to use and not stray from, or so they say when you ask them for what else you can call your falchion or longsword, as I have done when I want a weapon name that everyone doesn't have.

I'm sure there are exceptions, some legal and some not so legal.

AnticorRifling
09-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Only reason I wanted to try flesh ripper was because of a lance I have that is a chest-ripper. I figured might as well try it.

I'll remove Ishan from my boots, good call. And I've had Ishan put in an item already I have a ceremonial crimson and onyx Ishan greatkilt.

Adhara
09-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Good idea Daina. I've been turned down on some clerical alterations but in some cases, having documentation ready is what turned the table. For example my polaire, I had several solid links that I supplied to the GM. That was done as a premie contest winner job so he didn't have a room full waiting for him but still, he took a few minutes to read a paragraph or two and gave it to me in the end. :)

Bring the lance!

Parkbandit
09-25-2003, 12:11 PM
A dwarven family crest:

Pictured upon the dwarven family crest, you see a mighty dwarf glancing up at his new giant son with pride. Under the picture are the words "Anticor, the super son"

Artha
09-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Those are all pretty nice. I especially like the flesh-ripper.

[Edited on 9-25-2003 by Artha]

StrayRogue
09-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Alot of non-base weapons were released at Anfelt: Skull splitters, knee-breakers etc. I'd get one of those, as Daina has said, and work from there. Don't expect miracles however ;)

HarmNone
09-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Alot of non-base weapons were released at Anfelt: Skull splitters, knee-breakers etc. I'd get one of those, as Daina has said, and work from there. Don't expect miracles however ;)

Hmmm. If skull-splitters and knee-breakers have been allowed, I can see no solid argument against a flesh-ripper. I would go for it based on the existence of such things.

HarmNone

StrayRogue
09-25-2003, 01:07 PM
These were off the shelf items.

AnticorRifling
09-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Yeah the chest-ripper I have is a lance that was off the shelf from Anflet. I would take it with me.

Help me with the boots people. What would you have the descrip be?

Adhara
09-25-2003, 10:18 PM
a pair of black traveling boots

These well-used yet durable boots have been fashioned for comfort and, albeit old, the subtle sheen of the leather shows they were always well cared for. The thick leather tongue of each boot, pulled high to protect the shins, is held in place by an intricate webbing of laces threaded through gleaming onyx eyelets in the traditional Ishan fashion. The heels have been seared with miniature symbols of V'tull and small onyx rivets have been punched through the fabric at the seams to ensure a snug fit.

AnticorRifling
09-25-2003, 11:22 PM
You know I started to question the Ishan style of lacing a boot then I realized that in the Marines we had to lace every pair of boots and shoes the same way heh. Left over right, and the lace at the very bottom was under the eyelets not over so that it didn't ever snag on anything.

Adhara
09-25-2003, 11:27 PM
So did you like it or not? If you didn't, tell me which parts and I can work on alternatives. :)

AnticorRifling
09-25-2003, 11:44 PM
I didn't like the first line where it says were always cared for... Leads me to think I don't care for them now :) other than that I would only change it to say a bit more about the laces either laced through the eyelets and knotted securely in the traditional Ishan fashion, or maybe laced through the eyelets and clasped in the back... Just a bit more meat to that part and I think the whole thing would be gravy.

theotherjohn
09-26-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling

some cermonial Ishan battle-fell

just because everyone uses skin

Kurili
09-26-2003, 07:52 AM
I like the ideas, and I've got items with cultural references by a good many alterers. So just keep trying.

Acolyte Kurili

Adhara
09-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Some links on boot lacing:

http://www.bootdog.com/spider.html

http://www.dehner.com/dehner/lace.html

http://www.hemihelp.org.uk/Leaflets/hbleaflets14.htm

This is a show to illustrate the "Dal" lacing (which I find the most interesting):

These well-used yet durable boots have been fashioned for comfort and, albeit old, the subtle sheen of the leather shows they are well cared for. The leather tongue of each boot, pulled high to protect the shins, is held in place by sturdy laces ladder-threaded through gleaming onyx eyelets and knotted in the middle in the traditional Ishan fashion. The heels have been seared with miniature symbols of V'tull and small onyx rivets have been punched through the fabric at the seams to ensure a snug fit.

A more conventional way:

These well-used yet durable boots have been fashioned for comfort and, albeit old, the subtle sheen of the leather shows they are well cared for. The thick leather tongue of each boot, pulled high to protect the shins, is held in place by sturdy laces threaded through gleaming onyx eyelets and knotted at the top in the traditional Ishan fashion. The heels have been seared with miniature symbols of V'tull and small onyx rivets have been punched through the fabric at the seams to ensure a snug fit.

AnticorRifling
09-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

Originally posted by AnticorRifling

some cermonial Ishan battle-fell

just because everyone uses skin

Never seen a set of battle-skins but I don't see alot of people... I'm not sure if battle-fell conveys the same image to me, but it's growing on me.

These well-used yet durable boots have been fashioned for comfort and, albeit old, the subtle sheen of the leather shows they are well cared for. The leather tongue of each boot, pulled high to protect the shins, is held in place by sturdy laces ladder-threaded through gleaming onyx eyelets and knotted in the middle in the traditional Ishan fashion. The heels have been seared with miniature symbols of V'tull and small onyx rivets have been punched through the fabric at the seams to ensure a snug fit.

Rocks! Thanks.