PDA

View Full Version : Question for our gay members

Tsa`ah
06-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Just some curiosity that has been nagging at the back of my head for a few days.

My wife is a big fan of the Showtime series Queer as Folk and is probably more adamant about equality in civil rights than I am.

Recently she read an interview of Randy Harrison where he expressed his irritation over straight women being the largest portion of the show's demographic. Often she'll read peruse on-line journals and blogs and come across an occasional entry expressing anger over straights attending gay pride events, "fag hags", or even straights volunteering for gay support programs.

My question is why the irritation/anger/frustration?

If these people want acceptance, want equality, and want legal recognition ... shouldn't they be ecstatic over straight participation and support?

Ravenstorm
06-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
If these people want acceptance, want equality, and want legal recognition ... shouldn't they be ecstatic over straight participation and support?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I think the disappointment over the demographic for the show is more that more gays don't watch it than that straight women do. Though since straight women outnumber gays I'm not sure what he really wants. Less viewers?

Those who resent help in the fight for civil rights? Same kind of morons who didn't want whites marching with them back in the 60s.

Raven

Skeeter
06-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Sweeping Generalization ahead......

Everyone wants to have their own club to call their own, and exclude other people from.

Skirmisher
06-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Skeeter

Everyone wants to have their own club to call their own, and exclude other people from.

I have to disagree and think Ravenstorm was more on target.

I see it more as a misguided desire to be able to say that any achievments made will have been by the effort of their own brow rather than having been given a 'helping hand'.

Skeeter
06-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Skirmisher

Originally posted by Skeeter

I have to disagree and think Ravenstorm was more on target.

I see it more as a misguided desire to be able to say that any achievments made will have been by the effort of their own brow rather than having been given a 'helping hand'.

In other words....exclude people from their club.

Toxicvixen
06-11-2005, 02:07 AM
Kinda Off Topic, but

I :heart: QAF and yes I too am a straight female.

Hal Sparks is HOT!

I didn't know that the some gay community didn't like having straight support.

I hope its only some and not all, because it would suck If I am pissing off the Gay community by being straight and supporting civil rights and equality for all human kind. :D

SpunGirl
06-11-2005, 07:21 PM
There are people in both minority and majority groups who maintain an "us" and "them" outlook on life. People who are irritated at "straight support" are just as guilty of maintaining divides as people who say gay people are abominations of humanity.

Civil rights is not a gay issue, a racial issue, or a religious issue.... it's just a humanitarian issue. The sooner everyone realizes that we ALL belong to that group, the better.

-K

Tsa`ah
06-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Those are pretty much my views on it. I just thought perhaps there was something I overlooked.

The wife is just a little anxious about confrontation next month as Chicago's pride.

Ravenstorm
06-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
The wife is just a little anxious about confrontation next month as Chicago's pride.

Tell her to just ignore any idiots. And thank her for me.

Raven

Snapp
06-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Yea, Raven pretty much hit the nail on the head. Kinda funny, I don't watch the show, but all my "hags" do. :lol:

Apotheosis
06-11-2005, 10:13 PM
I have to agree with skeeter