PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica Season 1 Soundtrack

Izalude
06-10-2005, 12:33 PM
So... After while watching the Series, all along, I'd make comments to my girlfriend saying, "Wow... Whoever writes the music to this series really has talent." So in doing a little research, I find that he's an aspiring composer named Bear McCreary. So I order the soundtrack, and it arrives yesterday. I open the package, and much to my surprise, there's an autographed copy of the CD cover inside, signed by Bear McCreary. Needless to say, I was delighted!

I'm a musician myself. I compose music with cakewalk. Most of it is new age, but ocassionally I'll write a classical piece. Another thing I enjoy doing is listening to a song over-and-over, then transcribing it by ear to a midi file. I do that with mostly game music. Most of these songs, however, I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of doing it. They're written in a style of music that I've always had trouble with.

Edit: Anyways, I tried attaching a song, but I guess the site rejected it, because it was too big. If you've seen the series and liked the music, I reccomend grabbing the soundtrack. I got it from here: http://www.lalalandrecords.com/GalacticaSeasonOneNew.html

[Edited on 6-10-2005 by Izalude]

CrystalTears
06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the link. Season 1 was excellent and I can't wait for July for the second season. I'm more anxious for the DVD to come out, but the series did have a great soundtrack. I may pick this up. :)

Skirmisher
06-10-2005, 12:53 PM
I didn't even know the two part mini series was out till I saw CT's post regarding her picking it up a while back.

I have the entire first season on vhs, but was really glad to pick up the mini series DVD at Best Buy the other day.

Thanks!

Toxicvixen
06-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Heh, I should check out the new series. My mom actually had to wait to get to the hosipital to have me because my father wanted to finish watching Battlestar Galatica. :lol:

Skirmisher
06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Toxicvixen
Heh, I should check out the new series. My mom actually had to wait to get to the hosipital to have me because my father wanted to finish watching Battlestar Galatica. :lol:

It's really something Toxic.

I would place the miniseries as among the best scinece fiction movies on the large or small screens I have seen in a long long time. I hope you give it a try and maybe have your dad take a peek too, as an old version fan he should get a kick out of it. :yes:

Latrinsorm
06-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Izalude
I do that with mostly game music.Mega Man III - Shadow Man.

I'm timing you. :smilegrin:

I liked the couple of episodes I saw. Didn't really catch the music though.

Skirmisher
06-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeesh!

I just went and clicked on the link you provided for the first time.

The music samples they have do sound wonderfl, I agree.

The first one gave me flashbacks to Blackhawk Down. The next more Celtic and it was interesting seeing that the US and UK versions are not the same.

I think I'm going to have to pick this cd up now.

Thanks!

Izalude
06-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

Originally posted by Izalude
I do that with mostly game music.Mega Man III - Shadow Man.

I'm timing you. :smilegrin:

I liked the couple of episodes I saw. Didn't really catch the music though.

Hmm... I never played Megaman 3. I'll see what I can do. Give me a few weeks. If I don't like the song though, I can't motivate myself to do it. :P

Toxicvixen
06-11-2005, 02:51 AM
I'm going to check the new series when I get back home. Netflix Here I come! :yes: