PDA

View Full Version : Ignore feature for signatures?

06-09-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't know if Kranar would be able to implement this feature, but would it be at all possible to implement some sort of feature that could squelch other user's signatures in order to have the beneficial properties of getting rid of annoying sounds or animations? Such is the case that was brought to attention in this thread by Harmnone:http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=15264.

Thanks.

HarmNone
06-09-2005, 02:18 PM
There is, currently, an option through your control panel to turn off signatures. However, sounds are not allowed in signatures, per Kranar, so it's rather a moot point.

Overlord
06-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Doesn't the "Show Users Sigs" (check box In your profile) disregard all coding therefor "Ignoring" the signature altogether?

HarmNone
06-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Yes, Overlord. That's the option to which I'm referring. :)

Overlord
06-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Pffft well I was posting that all of 20 seconds after your post!! Gimmie a break :(

06-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I understand that we can still post an swf without violating policy, but is that really a good thing?

Thanks.

[Edited on 6-9-2005 by HarmNone]

HarmNone
06-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
Pffft well I was posting that all of 20 seconds after your post!! Gimmie a break :(

Hee! Here ya go...

*HarmNone hands Overlord a rather large, tasty break*

06-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Actually, it is a good thing.

The BBcode for XMB is extremely sensitive when it comes to a flash tag.

I converted an MP3 into an SWF. Big fucking deal.

HOWEVER, if one with even slightly uptarded intelligence knows how to write simple code, altering a jpeg, java applet, whatever, it actually has the potential to be a very real security risk to anyone using, say, a PC.

It should probably be permanently disabled, IMHO.

CrystalTears
06-09-2005, 02:38 PM
He has the sound file back in his signature. WTF.

Miss X
06-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I think it's just this thread.

06-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
He has the sound file back in his signature. WTF.

Try quoting my post and you will see that you are wrong.

CrystalTears
06-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Miss X
I think it's just this thread.

No problem, I'll just not go to any Stanley threads. Thanks.

06-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks, I was about to delete the tag, but I see you spared me the trouble.

XMB is dumb and you can basically fuck with it through the flash tags and Kranar should disable them. That's about it.

Thanks.

06-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Maybe you should delete or edit your thread with the hyperlink, Harmnone ;)

Overlord
06-09-2005, 02:48 PM
I am always surprised when you come up with a serious point Stand. True enough this could be a danger, I could have some serious fun writing some new batch files and prove your point...but then again....its not exactly deadly.

HarmNone
06-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Maybe more problems would be solved if Kranar just disabled you, Stanley.

06-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
I am always surprised when you come up with a serious point Stand. True enough this could be a danger, I could have some serious fun writing some new batch files and prove your point...but then again....its not exactly deadly.

Which is exactly why you want flash tags permanently disabled so that you can't have someone who writes a deltree and binds it with, like, VB 2.0 in 3 minutes fuck everything up for everyone else.

Trinitis
06-09-2005, 03:00 PM
actually..

Stans got a point in this one..

HarmNone
06-09-2005, 03:04 PM
A point that could well have been made by a U2U to Kranar, don't you think?

Hips
06-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone

One can only hope!

06-09-2005, 03:11 PM

Actually, that won't work for two reasons.

The possibility of blocking an IP provided by an entire ISP will ruin too many people's fun.
The fact that it is possible to not only spoof, but completely change one's IP. If you, or someone with the administrative tools happen to compare the logged IP that is hidden in each post, you'll notice that the one I am using now differs completely from my post prior to it.

06-09-2005, 03:16 PM
He's saying do it I dare you!

HarmNone
06-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell

The possibility of blocking an IP provided by an entire ISP will ruin too many people's fun.
The fact that it is possible to not only spoof, but completely change one's IP. If you, or someone with the administrative tools happen to compare the logged IP that is hidden in each post, you'll notice that the one I am using now differs completely from my post prior to it.

I'm quite aware of all that, Stanley. Believe me. You're assuming I meant that Kranar should disable your ability to post. Such was not my meaning at all. :rolleyes:

Atlanteax
06-09-2005, 03:25 PM
:yeahthat:

Bobmuhthol
06-09-2005, 03:29 PM
It's disappointing how right he is.

HarmNone
06-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell

Thinking about it, Stanley, I'm really glad you brought that up. It's interesting to realize that there are people who don't mind in the least that their behavior could cause problems for others who have done nothing to deserve it. It's even more interesting to realize that some of these people do that on purpose. :rolleyes:

06-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Fortunately, Seany Digital is too busy fucking like a hundred million fly bitches a day on the twelve foot rim of his RX-7's tire to concoct something elaborate like that.

But... I really, really don't actually know, with respect to the IP issue, what exactly one could do to ameliorate the situation as previously mentioned. I do know that if you don't care about every single nicety provided by this great invention we call the internet, you could disable or delete a few of the plug-ins that run shockwave and other flash files. The only problem with that is that I think that most browsers have them pre-installed and a lot of people don't actually know how to do that.