PDA

View Full Version : Moron merchanting

Tsa`ah
06-05-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm sure most of us here know of Olivia and her/his countless other personas that wait for others to engage a mob and then run in to ninja a chest. Spam the trade channel with overpriced crap (some of it is actually good ... but in no way worth the asking price). But what about the others?

I've been stuck with some high end green and blue mail/leather trade items that I've had to let go for cost and below cost, but at what point do you lose it and actually speak up?

For the past 2-3 nights I've had to listen to this 60 rogue (Rhetoric) try and sell off his stock of flawless arcanite rifles. If he has a hunter or not, I just can't understand how anyone with ranged experience can buy the load of crap he was tacking on to his sales pitches.

"One of the top 10/5/3 guns in the game!"
"A must for any hunter!"
"The next best to end-game!"

So tonight I sort of lost it and just slammed him.

It's 65-122 damage at 3 seconds. 31.2 damage per second
Passive grants +4 to guns and +10 to ranged attack.

Now it's not a bad gun, but it's nowhere near to top anything. It would be if the delay was around 2.4 or lower ... but at 3 seconds, for a hunter in PvP or on a solo hunt ... that means dead. Unless of course you're into melee.

I know there are people out there that buy things because of the item color, or see the damage and drool, but does anyone actually consider time?

Faster equals a greater chance of a crit. It doesn't matter if it's ranged or melee.

StrayRogue
06-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Heh, I do the chest thing. I love it.

Keller
06-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Ummmm .... you conserve ammo?

A penny saved is a penny earned, afterall!

06-05-2005, 08:30 AM
I figured the higher the DPS the more damage done faster and the faster the fight ends. Hit them good and hit them hard.

- Arkans

Adhara
06-05-2005, 11:20 AM
If you use rapid fire a lot, a faster weapon is better. I used to look for the fastest weapons all the time but consider this. The damage done on a crit is calculated with a multiplier to the weapon dmg. So a fast weapon with lower dmg does not crit as high. I now use a pretty slow crossbow on my hunter. I thought I would hate it but it's the contrary. I save ammo, I get higher crit and instead of using arcane shot and rapid fire, I use aimed shot as often as possible. The end result is that I kill faster with my slow weapon.

Both styles are viable, it's a matter of taste I'd say.

Tsa`ah
06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
The cooldown from rapid fire is too long to be really that effective in normal hunting or in PvP.

While I agree that a high DPS will give a bigger crit, you have to realize that getting a crit is nothing more than a dice roll. With a slow, big damage, weapon your chances of a crit are less likely because you're only rolling with each fire/swing. When you get it ... it's big. You don't get the crit as often. Now a faster weapon rolls the dice more often, the crit comes more often (though not as high), the dps ... is actually higher.

SnatchWrangler
06-06-2005, 09:17 AM
FYI - Livila is the farmer, Olivia is NOT. Definately, definately, not connected.

On a farmer related note...someone had a Krol Blade up for 500g, 800g buyout (low pop server). So I took the plunge and bid a little over 500. An hour later, I find out I'm outbid. I go check AH, it's gone...shit...someone bought it out.

I check in this morning...fucking Georger...piece of shit gold farmer looks like he bought it. 800g min bid, 1000g buyout.

StrayRogue
06-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Waste of gold for such a medicore sword.

SnatchWrangler
06-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Waste of gold for such a medicore sword.

Remember, we're on a low pop server. 800g seems a bit much, 500g seemed like a steal. What would price it at? And what do you spend gold on once you've got your epic mount?

Remember, currently only one guild (Alliance side) has taken down Onyxia. A Horde guild finally took down Magmadar last week, so we're not exactly swimming in Brutality Blades on our server.

What would you recommend? (Only thing I'd want more than Krol would be Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge...which I'll be hard pressed to find.)

Groldar
06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Hunters, like rogues, should go for slow weapons with large top-end damage. Thats pretty much common knowledge by now.

Shooting fast for more chance at little crits, while it sounds nice, just isn't true. The way aimed shot, and other hunter talents are, including chance to hit, the large crits are more viable.

There is a reason Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge, and the Blastershot Rifle are both slower weapons, with high top end damage. Vis'Kag as well.

Attack Speed is the Damage multiplier as well for rogues on their daggers, hence why, the Barman Shanker is such a nice weapon. It hits nearly as hard as the Gutgore Ripper (and ~ as hard with 1500 Attack Power).

Same goes for sinster strike.

[Edited on 6-6-2005 by Groldar]

Guerrin
06-06-2005, 04:51 PM
:lol:

I use carapace spine xbow for aimed shots, and switch to my hurricane for interruption.

Personally, I find myself using the spine xbow simply because I crit so often, that the higher end crits outweigh any sort of interrupt the hurricane gives.

Aside , nothing beats 1 or 2 shotting mages and priests.

That gun is OK. But if you're gonna use a gun, just get DHC .

Doyle Hargraves
06-08-2005, 02:07 AM
For the past 2-3 nights I've had to listen to this 60 rogue (Rhetoric) try and sell off his stock of flawless arcanite rifles. If

Just curious...how much was he asking and how much do the ingredients cost if you bought them off the auction house?

Ingredients:
http://www.thottbot.com/?i=20824