PDA

View Full Version : Tax season is coming.

Solkern
01-08-2024, 07:46 AM
This is going to be a giant headache for me this year.

Gelston
01-08-2024, 08:47 AM
Ok.

Parkbandit
01-08-2024, 09:19 AM

LOL.

Just hire someone in the financial sector to do them for you.

Suppressed Poet
01-08-2024, 09:32 AM

You need to find a small statured Jewish CPA man and hire him. If you pay him enough, those headaches become his headaches.

…Also, dump tea into the harbor.

Solkern
01-08-2024, 09:40 AM
You need to find a small statured Jewish CPA man and hire him. If you pay him enough, those headaches become his headaches.

…Also, dump tea into the harbor.

Is there a place to find one? Like Home Depot for Mexican labor, where’s the spot for Jewish CPAs?

Suppressed Poet
01-08-2024, 09:55 AM
You work for a big ass bank just like me. Surely you are friends with or know at least one Jew. Ask them. Guarantee you they know a good CPA & a jeweler that they can refer you to.

Edit: As an alternative, try your local Jewish temple on Saturday and wait for them to walk out. Look for little men dressed in formal attire with glasses & funny tiny sized hats. Pounce when you see one and say “Sholom” to start the convo.

Methais
01-08-2024, 10:11 AM

Thanks for letting us know.

Parkbandit
01-08-2024, 11:13 AM
You work for a big ass bank just like me. Surely you are friends with or know at least one Jew. Ask them. Guarantee you they know a good CPA & a jeweler that they can refer you to.

Edit: As an alternative, try your local Jewish temple on Saturday and wait for them to walk out. Look for little men dressed in formal attire with glasses & funny tiny sized hats. Pounce when you see one and say “Sholom” to start the convo.

This is a first for me... someone who works in the financial sector not being able to figure out how to find a tax person.

Also, I use an old Italian guy who looks Jewish... but I went to college with him.

Problem is: He's too fucking honest and it drives me crazy. Like bro.. your job is to skirt the fucking line.. not stay 30' from the line for safety.

Gelston
01-08-2024, 11:16 AM
Or just do your own. Tax software these days are so dumby proof Seran probably does his own. If he made any money anyways.

Parkbandit
01-08-2024, 11:22 AM
Or just do your own. Tax software these days are so dumby proof Seran probably does his own. If he made any money anyways.

I need a CPA for my companies. He does my personal for free.

Gelston
01-08-2024, 11:25 AM
I need a CPA for my companies. He does my personal for free.

I was more talking to Solkern, and really, anyone else doing personal taxes. If you got it free through a CPA already, that is better, obviously.

Suppressed Poet
01-08-2024, 11:27 AM

Tax software has come a long way & I suspect he could file with one of those 1040EZ forms designed for no income retards, but you are grossly underestimating Seran’s stupidity.

Gelston
01-08-2024, 11:30 AM
Tax software has come a long way & I suspect he could file with one of those 1040EZ forms designed for no income retards, but you are grossly underestimating Seran’s stupidity.

H&R Block still exists for a reason I guess.

Suppressed Poet
01-08-2024, 11:44 AM
Problem is: He's too fucking honest and it drives me crazy. Like bro.. your job is to skirt the fucking line.. not stay 30' from the line for safety.

I’ve had someone like that before. They have to consider it’s their ass on the line as the person advising you & preparing your return. Some of the tax code on the more complex matters is ambiguous and it becomes a question of risk tolerance.

Suppressed Poet
01-08-2024, 11:50 AM
H&R Block still exists for a reason I guess.

I went to H&R Block back in the day. As my taxes became more complicated, it got to the point where I had to spend hours there and multiple appointments to get it done. They were charging a lot for that. The final straw for me was my guy forgot to click the last button to actually send my return electronically to the IRS. A few months later I got a letter from the IRS saying I didn’t file, even though I mailed them a check. H&R Block made it right, but it was a complete pain in the ass.

Gelston
01-08-2024, 12:19 PM
I went to H&R Block back in the day. As my taxes became more complicated, it got to the point where I had to spend hours there and multiple appointments to get it done. They were charging a lot for that. The final straw for me was my guy forgot to click the last button to actually send my return electronically to the IRS. A few months later I got a letter from the IRS saying I didn’t file, even though I mailed them a check. H&R Block made it right, but it was a complete pain in the ass.

I've seen people get screwed by H&R Block a bunch. They either forget to add deductions or whatever. The majority of the employees there are seasonal with little or no education in finances in the first place. They have to take an H&R block created course and pass their exam.

Solkern
01-08-2024, 12:56 PM

I’m still relatively new to this location, and I deal almost 99% abroad still. But I’ll ask around.

Solkern
01-08-2024, 12:59 PM

I was looking at a few, they seemed so simple, that I felt like there’s something wrong for it to be this easy.

Parkbandit
01-08-2024, 01:15 PM
My daughter went to H&R Block when she got out of college and started her first real job. Single with zero deductions in Florida.. she qualified for the free tax return and they charged her like $140 for nothing. I called back and advised them that this is a free tax return and that they should be refunding her money.. they quickly agreed.

But for everyone out there that don't know that the IRS has a free return agreement with H&R Block, they pocket $140.. which amounts to millions or even billions of dollars.

Scumbags.

Suppressed Poet
01-08-2024, 01:22 PM
I was looking at a few, they seemed so simple, that I felt like there’s something wrong for it to be this easy.

My experience has been tax software is excellent if you have just regular W2 income. It’s pretty good if you have 1099 employment and have all your stuff together. I found that it does have some limitations when you have extraordinary income from other sources and you can benefit from the consultation of a professional to maximize deductions / exemptions.

I recall you owning an apartment or something and rent it to foreign exchange students. There are tax rules that apply to a real estate professional. You don’t have to be a licensed realtor/broker to enjoy the tax benefits of that status, but it does come with certain requirements. Also, figuring out depreciation of improvements (ie the building that is on the land) to property can be a bit tricky. It’s for those kind of reasons (and more) that I chose a Jewish CPA that knows all the intricacies of tax code. Your situation may be different.

Suppressed Poet
01-08-2024, 02:06 PM
But for everyone out there that don't know that the IRS has a free return agreement with H&R Block, they pocket $140.. which amounts to millions or even billions of dollars.

I didn’t know that. I remember them advertising free returns if you were single and simple. I just figured they did that because it took almost no time & effort on their part, and then they have their foot in the door with a customer as they get older when their life & taxes become more complicated.

But yeah…shame on them.

Parkbandit
01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
I didn’t know that. I remember them advertising free returns if you were single and simple. I just figured they did that because it took almost no time & effort on their part, and then they have their foot in the door with a customer as they get older when their life & taxes become more complicated.

But yeah…shame on them.

They tried to tell me she had more deductions than were allowed. I asked them to specifically tell me which ones, because I plan on calling the IRS back and letting them know.

They refunded her the money.

It's a fucking scam.