PDA

View Full Version : Card trifecta.

Solkern
05-09-2023, 10:59 AM
Does anyone have a citi, chase or Amex trifecta? Trying to decide which one to get.
What are your thoughts?

Suppressed Poet
05-09-2023, 11:19 AM
Does anyone have a citi, chase or Amex trifecta? Trying to decide which one to get.
What are your thoughts?

I’ve heard of that trifecta strategy to maximize rewards, but for me it’s too much to keep up with when to use which card. I’ve got one card I use for Amazon purchases and the rest goes on a Southwest Airlines card. Every year I earn a companion pass (anyone can fly free with me), I’ve got more miles than I know what to do with, free drinks, and I always get priority boarding. Boarding groups B and C are for the plebs.

Solkern
05-09-2023, 11:25 AM
I’ve heard of that trifecta strategy to maximize rewards, but for me it’s too much to keep up with when to use which card. I’ve got one card I use for Amazon purchases and the rest goes on a Southwest Airlines card. Every year I earn a companion pass (anyone can fly free with me), I’ve got more miles than I know what to do with, free drinks, and I always get priority boarding. Boarding groups B and C are for the plebs.

I like the idea of moving points around based on what you need, it does seem like a hassle but I feel like once you get used to it, the rewards are just too good to pass up.

Ramrod
05-09-2023, 12:14 PM
I like the idea of moving points around based on what you need, it does seem like a hassle but I feel like once you get used to it, the rewards are just too good to pass up.

It's mostly going to depend on what rewards you value the most.

phantasm
05-16-2023, 10:56 PM
When I was flying southwest I noticed that the free for all boarding method resulted in people always leaving the front row seats open. Front row seats with the most available leg room of any standard seating on any airline. I assumed people did this because as they board they aren't looking at the seat as much as worrying about where to stuff their carry-on (the front row seats don't have a luggage locker directly above them). I could board in any group and always snag one of those front row seats.

Solkern
05-17-2023, 01:36 AM
When I was flying southwest I noticed that the free for all boarding method resulted in people always leaving the front row seats open. Front row seats with the most available leg room of any standard seating on any airline. I assumed people did this because as they board they aren't looking at the seat as much as worrying about where to stuff their carry-on (the front row seats don't have a luggage locker directly above them). I could board in any group and always snag one of those front row seats.

What the fuck? Southwest doesn’t give assigned seating?

Solkern
05-17-2023, 01:38 AM
It's mostly going to depend on what rewards you value the most.

My rewards need change based on work and other things, doesn’t the trifecta give you the ability to be flexible?

Solkern
05-17-2023, 01:38 AM

I heard it’s quite easy, one card for eating out and gas, another for flying, and the last for grocery shopping.

Suppressed Poet
05-17-2023, 09:27 AM
I heard it’s quite easy, one card for eating out and gas, another for flying, and the last for grocery shopping.

That does sound easy enough.

All of my cards and personal finances are with one FI. I get special perks for working there like not paying an annual fee.

Suppressed Poet
05-17-2023, 10:08 AM
What the fuck? Southwest doesn’t give assigned seating?

No. They assign boarding group and you pick your seat when you enter the plane. Kinda ends up being the same thing though.

Solkern
05-17-2023, 10:18 AM
No. They assign boarding group and you pick your seat when you enter the plane. Kinda ends up being the same thing though.

I’m surprised there aren’t fist fights happening!

Solkern
05-17-2023, 10:19 AM
That does sound easy enough.

All of my cards and personal finances are with one FI. I get special perks for working there like not paying an annual fee.

Yeah my FI’s credits cards are absolute trash.

Ramrod
05-17-2023, 03:16 PM
My rewards need change based on work and other things, doesn’t the trifecta give you the ability to be flexible?

Sure, but they also have transfer partners. If you fly mostly United or Southwest, Chase would be better than Amex. I almost always fly Delta so Amex is better for me. Even though I have the Amex trifecta, I don't really care to deal with it and mostly just use one card.

Anebriated
05-17-2023, 03:45 PM
I went with the Citi cards because I needed the American Airlines card for travel. Philly is a hub for AA so made the most sense to focus on their miles. Overall its pretty easy to manage.

edit: also just realized my PC account is almost old enough to legally drink...

Ramrod
05-17-2023, 04:03 PM
I went with the Citi cards because I needed the American Airlines card for travel. Philly is a hub for AA so made the most sense to focus on their miles. Overall its pretty easy to manage.

edit: also just realized my PC account is almost old enough to legally drink...

I just don't care enough to deal with using one card for groceries, one for purchases, etc. I just put it all on one card and collect the rewards.

Anebriated
05-17-2023, 07:35 PM
i barely scratch the surface of effectiveness. useful guide if youre looking to go deep down the churning path.

https://m16p-churning.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+v19.html

Solkern
05-18-2023, 12:14 AM
What’s the best US airline in your opinion?

Solkern
05-18-2023, 12:15 AM
i barely scratch the surface of effectiveness. useful guide if youre looking to go deep down the churning path.

https://m16p-churning.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+v19.html

Wow, thanks for this! Definitely going to do some research as I like to maximize points as it’s fun for me.

phantasm
05-18-2023, 02:39 PM
Delta

Anebriated
05-18-2023, 03:46 PM
Wow, thanks for this! Definitely going to do some research as I like to maximize points as it’s fun for me.

I think its up to date, i know they put out a new graphic yearly but I didnt verify it to be the newest. Its from the subreddit r/churning

Anebriated
05-18-2023, 03:50 PM
Also if you guys havent yet, a lot of the travel cards will cover the cost of TSA precheck and some even global entry. if you fly, especially with small children(<12yo), its worth its weight in gold.

Suppressed Poet
05-18-2023, 03:59 PM

Virgin is the cool hipster airline if you are into that sort of thing.

I like Southwest Airlines because:
1) They are from Dallas and I’m from Dallas
2) They don’t nickel and dime you to death like some other airlines with additional fees
3) they have a company culture of being friendly and having fun at work

Your mileage may vary. (pun intended)

Solkern
05-18-2023, 09:25 PM
Is frontier any good? My wife was interested in that all you can fly for a year or someshit for cheap.

Anebriated
05-18-2023, 09:42 PM
lets just say you get what you pay for...

Suppressed Poet
05-18-2023, 09:43 PM
Is frontier any good? My wife was interested in that all you can fly for a year or someshit for cheap.

https://y.yarn.co/d01d298c-a184-42a0-bcd0-e11e8025b544_text.gif

HELL NO! I refuse to ever fly again Frontier or Spirit airlines. They bait and switch you with cheap fares, but then pile on a bunch of BS fees. It ends up being about as much as a major reputable airline when it’s all said and done. They cancel and delay flights all the time too. The staff & crew are absolutely miserable. You are likely to get shanked by the poors if TSA didn’t do their job well that day. Trust me bro…don’t do it.

Solkern
05-18-2023, 11:52 PM
Virgin is the cool hipster airline if you are into that sort of thing.

I like Southwest Airlines because:
1) They are from Dallas and I’m from Dallas
2) They don’t nickel and dime you to death like some other airlines with additional fees
3) they have a company culture of being friendly and having fun at work

Your mileage may vary. (pun intended)

Yeah, fuck that hipster shit.
Normally I fly United, but I heard from others that are trash now.

lets just say you get what you pay for...

So it’s like Aeroflot right now? Lol

https://y.yarn.co/d01d298c-a184-42a0-bcd0-e11e8025b544_text.gif

HELL NO! I refuse to ever fly again Frontier or Spirit airlines. They bait and switch you with cheap fares, but then pile on a bunch of BS fees. It ends up being about as much as a major reputable airline when it’s all said and done. They cancel and delay flights all the time too. The staff & crew are absolutely miserable. You are likely to get shanked by the poors if TSA didn’t do their job well that day. Trust me bro…don’t do it.

I’ve heard the stories of spirit airline, yeah I’ll stay away and stick to the big carriers.

Solkern
05-18-2023, 11:53 PM
Also if you guys havent yet, a lot of the travel cards will cover the cost of TSA precheck and some even global entry. if you fly, especially with small children(<12yo), its worth its weight in gold.

Yeah, that’s huge and the free lounge access…