PDA

View Full Version : Locking threads is lame

Nieninque
05-14-2005, 01:04 PM
My opinion

CrystalTears
05-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Usually only the lame threads get locked.

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Nope. Not lame. The moderator asked you guys to take it off the boards. That didn't happen. She has, therefore, every right to close the thread. It went on long enough for everyone to get into the act that wanted to.

Doyle Hargraves
05-14-2005, 01:09 PM
http://images.sudhian.com/wow/troll2.jpg

05-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I would have locked it too, except I don't have l33t skillz in lockmastery :(

Asha
05-14-2005, 01:11 PM
There should just be no rules to these boards.
Call it something like, GSforums - The Fallen.

You've got to remember Nien, freedom of speech was taken away from everyone long before we had something to say.
Besides there is always the chance you can get a word in before it's pulled.
But then why post on these boards and not Klaives, if you just want to bitch?

Nieninque
05-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Geez...Alorg started a club.

It is lame when there is no real policy being broken.
If people dont want to read it, they dont have to click on it, its not that hard to figure out.
If it was causing TOS conflicts, then yeah I could understand it. I just think that threads are locked too easily.
Anyway, I aint really that bothered...just think its lame

Artha
05-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Making stupid threads just to whine about someone is lame, too.

Nieninque
05-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Drayal
There should just be no rules to these boards.
Call it something like, GSforums - The Fallen.

You've got to remember Nien, freedom of speech was taken away from everyone long before we had something to say.
Besides there is always the chance you can get a word in before it's pulled.
But then why post on these boards and not Klaives, if you just want to bitch?

Drayal. I dont believe in absolute freedom of speech.
Why do you post on these boards when inane posts are explicitly welcomed on Klaive's boards?

peam
http://www.screendoors.net/images/screen_door_34prarie.gif

Ass, way out, etc.

Nieninque
Originally posted by Artha

Agreed. Making threads to laugh at someone is funny

Asha
05-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Next person to post in this thread is a cockstroker.
:D

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque

Originally posted by Artha

Agreed. Making threads to laugh at someone is funny

I doubt very seriously that the person being laughed at finds it all that humorous.

Making threads to laugh with people is better, IMO.

[Edited on 5-14-2005 by HarmNone]

Asha
05-14-2005, 01:17 PM
HARMNONE I'M SOO SORRYYY!

:lol:

Brattt8525
05-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Nope. Not lame. The moderator asked you guys to take it off the boards. That didn't happen. She has, therefore, every right to close the thread. It went on long enough for everyone to get into the act that wanted to.

Hard to take something off the boards when a person brings something to the boards that was ummm trying to be dealt with off the boards.:rolleyes:

Tara, once again pathetically trying to look good. :D

Asha
05-14-2005, 01:41 PM
That's a pretty good point.

But still, she could always have replied to the U2U or just ignored it.

Brattt8525
05-14-2005, 01:52 PM
That's a pretty good point.

But still, she could always have replied to the U2U or just ignored it.

Your right she could have, but in classic style she chose to bring it to the boards.

Nien does not hold a grudge IMHO she nurses them and turns them to hate. I at times get upset with someone for whatever reason but I can also separate that from my general feelings towards what they post. Apparently some people can't do that which is sad.

I may not like certain people but that does not mean that everytime they post I have to make that known. I will give kudos encouragement even to people who have flamed me/I have flamed them or people I might just not like all that well not because I am a hypocrite but because I am a person who cares about people.

[Edited on 5-14-2005 by Brattt8525]

Asha
05-14-2005, 01:56 PM
So, do you actually have a mullet?
I heard it but didn't believe it.
Please let it be true.

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 01:56 PM
DO NOT even THINK about bringing it here!

Nieninque
05-14-2005, 01:58 PM
So they can post off topic shit in a thread, and I get no right to reply?

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 01:59 PM

I just saw that post! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! :rofl:

That does not mean that this crap can continue, however. Knock it off!

Asha
05-14-2005, 01:59 PM
So they can post off topic shit in a thread, and I get no right to reply?

I did try to explain that to you.
Happens all the time.

Asha
05-14-2005, 02:00 PM

I just saw that post! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! :rofl:

It was a cheap attempt to diffuse the thread.
:heart:

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Shall I lock this one, too. Shall I just remove it completely? Decisions, decisions.......:thinking:

Sean of the Thread
05-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Geez...Alorg started a club.

It is lame when there is no real policy being broken.
If people dont want to read it, they dont have to click on it, its not that hard to figure out.
If it was causing TOS conflicts, then yeah I could understand it. I just think that threads are locked too easily.
Anyway, I aint really that bothered...just think its lame

I don't agree with you much but I agree with you here. If you don't like it don't fucking read it. If a couple people want to talk about shit in a thread I don't see what teh problem is. Goto AIM? why? I dunno no big deal but I just don't see the harm.

It's like listening to the radio.. if I don't like I change the channel.

Doyle Hargraves
05-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Shall I lock this one, too. Shall I just remove it completely? Decisions, decisions.......

http://ittimes.ucdavis.edu/summer03/images/delete.gif

[Edited on 5-14-2005 by Doyle Hargraves]

Sean
05-14-2005, 02:05 PM

This is kind of a rediculous statement given the irregularity that threads are locked. It's not common practice to lock threads.

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Okay, guys. I understand the upset at having a thread locked. I wouldn't like it if it were my thread. However, there is such a thing as TOS. Here's the part of TOS that applies in the case of threads that are made for the purpose of harassing another poster:

Hostile Posts

Any member or group of members who persistently incite or provoke hostility towards other members are in violation of forum policy and subject to a violation increase of at least 1 and at most 15. This includes harassment, establishing a pattern of antagonism from thread to thread, and thread derailments of an insulting nature.

Now, what about the word "harassment" do you not understand? I am well aware that, on any message boards, tempers flare and there will be disagreements. However, to start a thread for the specific purpose of denigrating another poster...well, the above paragraph applies. We ain't gonna be doin' that.

I do hope this clears things up for those of you who might have had questions. I've locked these kinds of threads myself. I will continue to do so. We let Nien's thread go for a bit to see if you could get it out of your systems. It just got repetitive. So, in future, any thread made for the specific purpose of denigrating another will be removed. If you've got a gripe with someone, keep it off the boards unless it's relevant to an on-going discussion.

Sean of the Thread
05-14-2005, 02:16 PM
FUCK THE ESTABLISHMENT!!!

[Edited on 5-14-2005 by Xyelin]

TheRoseLady
05-14-2005, 02:25 PM
That thread was not really that bad, not nearly as mind numbing as some that have involved X and Stay, that oddly just seem to never get that lock put on them.

Locking threads should be a last resort, this was not even close.

I had a post pulled on the Gemstone boards because I said BS. Seeing threads that are not productive but not cess pools being locked just makes me irritable.

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 02:27 PM
No matter whether it makes people irritable or not, threads made for the sole purpose of putting someone else down will be deleted. They will not be locked. They will be removed.

It's threads like those you mention, TRL, that brought this particular part of TOS into being.

TheRoseLady
05-14-2005, 02:42 PM
No matter whether it makes people irritable or not, threads made for the sole purpose of putting someone else down will be deleted. They will not be locked. They will be removed.

It's threads like those you mention, TRL, that brought this particular part of TOS into being.

Well I can see deleting them for that purpose, I just think that it's hardly fair that some folks got to do their usual bullshit taunting and self-aggrandizing posting which left no way for Nien to respond. I'm just more irritated with the sanctimonious crap that a few folks seem to always show up in threads and pass out, then stand around like they are innocent.

At least Longshot got a post in...that will have to suffice.

/rant

I'm pretty sick of it myself, TRL. That's why such threads will be pulled as quickly as they're seen. :)

Brattt8525
05-14-2005, 02:43 PM
>I had a post pulled on the Gemstone boards because I said BS.<

Wow thats a silly reason to pull a post.

05-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Eh, I think everyone knows where I stand. Very limited moderation. I would love it if moderators stayed out of everything, except when it comes to real life threats about people or other similiar issues. We do have that ability not to read threads that we don't want.

- Arkans

Brattt8525
05-14-2005, 02:48 PM
So, do you actually have a mullet?
I heard it but didn't believe it.
Please let it be true.

I am guilty of in the past having one, do I have one now? no my hair is almost all one length now just past my shoulders.

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Moderators don't have that choice, Arkans. These boards do have a TOS. The job of the moderators is to see that TOS is upheld.

05-14-2005, 02:50 PM
I agree, but to me, that is one of the down sides of moderation. Besides being held to an extremely high standard they need to wade through a lot of crap. Frankly, I have no sympathy, being the judge, jury, and exectioner of threads by simply using your own opinion should have some consequences.

- Arkans

Doyle Hargraves
05-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by TheRoseLady

Well I can see deleting them for that purpose, I just think that it's hardly fair that some folks got to do their usual bullshit taunting and self-aggrandizing posting which left no way for Nien to respond. I'm just more irritated with the sanctimonious crap that a few folks seem to always show up in threads and pass out, then stand around like they are innocent.

/rant

I'm pretty sick of it myself, TRL. That's why such threads will be pulled as quickly as they're seen. :)

Um...did you acidentally click EDIT instead of QUOTE, HarmNone? :lol:

Brattt8525
05-14-2005, 02:53 PM
>Well I can see deleting them for that purpose, I just think that it's hardly fair that some folks got to do their usual bullshit taunting and self-aggrandizing posting which left no way for Nien to respond.<

TRL she did get to respond, in fact her post is what started the replies. Where is the problem? I got told once if I didn't want to deal with people critiziing my posts then don't post.

In fact she did reply a few times, not with a hey maybe I should have left it in U2U's but with insults directed at anyone who didn't support her original post. Now that is what I consider being a poor sport.

Freedom of speech? sure but who's freedom? hers to troll or others to say hey you should have left it in U2U's? neither in the end, moderators closed it down period.

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Doyle Hargraves

Originally posted by TheRoseLady

/rant

Um...did you acidentally click EDIT instead of QUOTE, HarmNone? :lol:

Hee! I'm rolling on the floor again! This has been a morning of laughter for me! :D

Guess my mouse missed. I'll fix it. ;)

Asha
05-14-2005, 02:56 PM
I agree threads should be locked from time to time.
Sometimes the posters are just doing what comes naturally when they're faceless and brave.
As long as it's in good fun and humour and NOT anything to do with my 100th post I think all threads should go on and on forever.

05-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Eh, why lock a thread though? If it bothers you, don't read it. If it bothers you and you are a moderator, step down until you grow some thicker skin. Simple as that.

- Arkans

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
Eh, why lock a thread though? If it bothers you, don't read it. If it bothers you and you are a moderator, step down until you grow some thicker skin. Simple as that.

- Arkans

As I said, these threads will no longer be locked. They will be removed. It has nothing to do with the thickness of skin and everything to do with TOS and our jobs as moderators.

HarmNone, who has a pretty damned thick skin, thankfully :D

05-14-2005, 03:03 PM
If a thread violates TOS, then take approriate actions, but insure that the actions are even handed and consistent. I've seen moderation screw up a few times, hey you guys are human, but there is still room for improvement.

- Arkans

Edaarin
Some threads need help dying.

Parkbandit
Originally posted by Brattt8525

Oh please. I got a post pulled and banned from the boards for calling someone "too anal"

The moderator obviously thought I was talking back door.. when I was talking about analyzing. Stupid bitch.

FALGRIN SAID ANAL! WE MUST BAN HIM NOW!

05-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Actually, vulgarity (masked or other) is not allowed on the official forums. BS is masked vulgarity and thus your post your removed.

- Arkans

Parkbandit
05-14-2005, 03:05 PM
I think more rights and freedoms were lost when you lock a thread than with the new Federal ID program.

:D

Brattt8525
05-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Originally posted by Brattt8525

Oh please. I got a post pulled and banned from the boards for calling someone "too anal"

The moderator obviously thought I was talking back door.. when I was talking about analyzing. Stupid bitch.

FALGRIN SAID ANAL! WE MUST BAN HIM NOW!

Maybe it was the rumors about you being a sex crazed poster? :P

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
If a thread violates TOS, then take approriate actions, but insure that the actions are even handed and consistent. I've seen moderation screw up a few times, hey you guys are human, but there is still room for improvement.

- Arkans

That's what we're endeavoring to do, Arkans. Will we mess up from time to time? Of course. As you say, we are human. However, we're always trying to make it better, and to explain our actions when people seem to require, or want, and explanation.

There is always room for improvement in anything we do. That would include every individual. :)

05-14-2005, 03:13 PM
There is always room for improvement in anything we do. That would include every individual.

HarmNone is gonna do me. I'm getting action from an older broad. That's fucking hot.

- Arkans

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 03:15 PM
I didn't say anybody we do. I said anything we do. Inference might have been drawn had I said any thing we do. ;)

05-14-2005, 03:16 PM
I'll gladly refer to myself as "anything" if it's about action.. Well.. except when talking about Artha. I think he'd dirty.

- Arkans

TheRoseLady
05-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
The moderator obviously thought I was talking back door..

Perhaps they knew you a bit too well. :lol:

Gan
05-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Lame childish threads seeking nothing but attention and violating TOS should be locked and or deleted. Dont like it? 1800 WAH HHHH. Or www.google.com and find you another place to act like a spoiled bratt. In other words, sod off!

I'm enjoying the level of quality of the PC since the latest additions of TOS have been implemented (except for the latest rash of X that happend a month or so ago).

I think the moderation and regulation of the PC boards is more than adequate and no I dont want a job as moderator so dont even think I sucking up for one.

Sean of the Thread
05-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Ganalon
Lame childish threads seeking nothing but attention and violating TOS should be locked and or deleted. Dont like it? 1800 WAH HHHH. Or www.google.com and find you another place to act like a spoiled bratt. In other words, sod off!

I'm enjoying the level of quality of the PC since the latest additions of TOS have been implemented (except for the latest rash of X that happend a month or so ago).

I think the moderation and regulation of the PC boards is more than adequate and no I dont want a job as moderator so dont even think I sucking up for one.

Don't care what you think but thanks for telling us anyways. I'm glad you know the number to 1-800-WAHHHHH because your post is the same fucking thing hers was... A bunch of whiney cry baby complaint. And the mod tribe DO in fact do a great job. Let there be peace amongst our people brother. If there is no peace someday they will conquer us and eat our slain bodies for many moons. It is a war we cannot win! So it has been said.. so it will be written.

StrayRogue
05-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Since when did you become the premier X? I'm betting he's referring to Xcalibur.

Sean of the Thread
05-14-2005, 05:38 PM
I actually thought he was talking about Chica at first and *edit* second. I was just replying.

P.S. I know it wasn't me because I havn't had a rash in the last month.. that cream works GREAT!

Gan
05-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Since when did you become the premier X? I'm betting he's referring to Xcalibur.

Correct.

Gan
05-14-2005, 05:46 PM
It amazes me that one cant post effectively enough not to have it edited by a mod... much less have the whole thread you start locked and deleted.

Meges
05-14-2005, 06:00 PM
The whole “official” response to this thread is extremely annoying when you take into consideration the fact that almost every thread has someone in it speaking down on someone, calling them names, or berating them for posting "stupid" stuff. At least have some consistency when dealing out TOS violations or closing threads. It wouldn’t hurt if all of the moderators followed these rules as well, which is not the case at this time.

Personally, I find these kind of threads amusing and somewhat entertaining; at least until someone comes in with inconsistent moderation.

Meges

Latrinsorm
05-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Meges
The whole “official” response to this thread is extremely annoying when you take into consideration the fact that almost every thread has someone in it speaking down on someone, calling them names, or berating them for posting "stupid" stuff.Fact is a funny word.

Of course moderators are inconsistent. All humans are. However, I challenge you to find a thread specifically intended to bash someone that has not been moderated.

Betheny
05-14-2005, 07:26 PM
My opinion

I am lame.

Betheny
05-14-2005, 07:30 PM
I find Nien amusing except when she goes after Drayal.

Nieninque
05-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Betheny

My opinion

I am lame.

Liar

Chelle
05-14-2005, 10:19 PM
I feel the need to add two things.

1. Doyal is hot.

2. CrystalTears needs the Angelina Avy back on.

That is all.

Chadj
05-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Nieninque is cool.