PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Wizard?

Janarth
05-13-2005, 03:02 PM
So, I wanna depart from the spellcasting wizard, but still be a wizard. I know in the past there were mutant wizards, but that was GS3. What do you all think about a Human Wizard:
Str 70
Con 20
Dex 70
Agl 60
Dis 60
Aur 90
Log 90
Int 62
Wis 76
Inf 62

He'd 1x polearm OR 2HRs, 2x MIU, 2x spells, 2x spell aim, 1x air lore, 1x earth lore, 1x ele share, 1x HP. In the first 20 trains, I could get in 18 or so physical fitness ranks, for almost full health, but then I'm outta points. No swim or climb, perception or armor in there yet :p

Is this kinda thing viable? fun? anyone care to give me some pointers, better stat scheme or training plan? 2HR or polearm? I was thinking pole for versatility, so I could always pick up a shield and go one handed pole for a little more defense, or get out the lance. What kinda armor is ideal? I'd probably be casting stone fist, haste, call wind a lot...
Comments welcome

Apotheosis
05-13-2005, 03:17 PM
well, do a search for some weapon wizard threads.

Anticor uses a polearm and he's like 50 - 60 trains, maybe more.
most others use thw..

Esentially it boils down to what do you want to do.

AnticorRifling
05-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Yes it's viable, yes it's fun. You need armor because your DS will suck. Tremors and haste are your bread and butter. I do polearms because it's different. 2h do just as well (if not better I will admit).

I don't 1x any lore let alone 2 lores.

I don't 1x mana share, or harness power or MIU or AS. You give up alot to be a war mage but that's the idea.

I'll post my stats/training when I get home tonight. Currently lvl 63 and doing fine, I don't see any issues until OTF. I think I'll be fine in the tower and rift.

Janarth
05-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Anticor, I can understand getting rid/cutting down MIU, stopping at 24 shares of ele, and no AS (I didn't plan on any either), but no lores? I thought earth lore was a war mage's bread and butter, as you said. I think I read somewhere on these boards that earth lore added to the strength bonus, and with enough ranks, you could approach like +40 to strength bonus. Almost like singling earth lore and singling yer weapon was the equivalent of a square doubling in your weapon? I wanted the air lore for haste, so I swing quicker. If you think thats stuff unimportant, well, you made it to 60 without it :p But, I was under the impression war mages used that stuff. Appreciate seeing your training plan and also a short commentary on what you hunt with. You said lotsa tremors?

Edited to say:
More concisely, I thought we'll never have the AS of a square, so if we're gonna compete with them, we need to swing quicker, get our AS higher, and use our spells to supplement our swing as war mages. Hence my thoughts on haste, and stone fist for disabling :)

[Edited on 5-13-2005 by Janarth]

AnticorRifling
05-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Level 0 Stats for Anticor, Giant Wizard

Strength (STR): 85
Constitution (CON): 54
Dexterity (DEX): 68
Agility (AGI): 85
Discipline (DIS): 73
Aura (AUR): 55
Logic (LOG): 62
Intuition (INT): 59
Wisdom (WIS): 73
Influence (INF): 46

Name: Anticor Rifling Race: Giant Profession: Wizard (shown as: War Mage)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 96 (38) ... 96 (38)
Constitution (CON): 74 (22) ... 74 (22)
Dexterity (DEX): 90 (15) ... 90 (15)
Agility (AGI): 95 (17) ... 95 (17)
Discipline (DIS): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Aura (AUR): 89 (14) ... 89 (14)
Logic (LOG): 88 (14) ... 88 (14)
Intuition (INT): 88 (19) ... 88 (19)
Wisdom (WIS): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Influence (INF): 72 (16) ... 72 (16)
Mana: 195 Silver: 0

Anticor (at level 63), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 111 27
Combat Maneuvers...................| 164 64
Polearm Weapons....................| 164 64
Physical Fitness...................| 105 25
Arcane Symbols.....................| 150 50
Magic Item Use.....................| 150 50
Spell Aiming.......................| 228 128
Harness Power......................| 162 62
Elemental Mana Control.............| 102 24
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 120 30
Perception.........................| 120 30
Climbing...........................| 120 30
Swimming...........................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 33

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 63

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 32

Anticor, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Disarm Weapon disarm 1
Feint feint 5

Don't get my wrong I have lore, I just don't 1x in it. I don't have the points with my 1x CM. I swing in 1 second with my godendag and 3 seconds with a lance. When I get my lance swing down to 1 second then I will start on earth lore for the ST bonus. 2 more CM ranks and I get another disarm weapon rank w00t.

My basic hunting style is to run 506 and 919 at all times, cman feint creatures, tremor if there is a swarm, ambush the leg and ambush the head. I've got a 3 second ambush with the godendag so that's what I've been doing currently. Just swinging works wonders as well.

Currently my AS self cast is 368 and DS is in the 330s in offensive stance.

Any other questions?

AnticorRifling
05-16-2005, 11:38 AM
I thought I'd add some things:

If I didn't 1x CM I'd have plenty of points to spend towards lores which would kind of make up for the CM, kind of. Right now my hunting style is hasted feint lock, ambush, search. I can't do that with lore.

I am currently sitting on 100+ PTPs but I'm in no rush to spend them on 12 lore ranks or like 3 spells. I'm currently happy with my training. What having these points does allow me to do is not scrape for CM and polearm points for the next several lvls opening points for more MIU, AS, and possibly lore.

As it stands now I'm fully trained for the current lvl, 40+ K til next lvl and I've got something like 140ptp and 8 mtp with 0 points converted. I don't really need to pick up any more magical ranks as it looks like I'm doing 6x enchants with no problems. It is, in my opinion, only gonna get better from here w00t :cool:

Janarth
05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
You do 6xs without problems? wow. I was under the impression without atleast 1xing ele share and miu, enchanting would be a problem. I think I'll end up 1xing miu, .5xing share, 1x earth lore, 2x polearms, armor as needed, and 2 spells or more per level. Thanks Anticor. One last question...polearms, like a lance, give a DS bonus. Do two-handers? I know you said two-handers do as well or better than you with your lance, I really don't see it?

Edit: I meant 1x polearms, yeah, all pures can only 1x weapons, I was also doing my bard's training and I had a few....doh

[Edited on 5-17-2005 by Janarth]

Xcalibur
05-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Anticor, you will NEVER swing a lance in 1 second...

:)

What base is a godendag?

2 handed are better, but now with random crits it's better to have MORE DF than crits since you hack so fast.

AnticorRifling
05-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Janarth
You do 6xs without problems? wow. I was under the impression without atleast 1xing ele share and miu, enchanting would be a problem. I think I'll end up 1xing miu, .5xing share, 1x earth lore, 2x polearms, armor as needed, and 2 spells or more per level. Thanks Anticor. One last question...polearms, like a lance, give a DS bonus. Do two-handers? I know you said two-handers do as well or better than you with your lance, I really don't see it?

You can't 2x polearms or any weapon for that matter being a wizard.

X is right me swinging a lance in one second is douptful given that I'm a giant.

Godendag = naginata = halberd base

Polearms give +15 to DS in offensive stance and +30 in any other stance, at least they used to I'm not sure since GSIV. I guess I could test that.

A nice greatsword would do about as well as my lance given you'd swing it faster.

Carl Spackler
05-17-2005, 10:21 AM
I'd like to add, I'd go with Air lore, instead of earth lore, at 24 ranks you'll drop 1 second off your swing.

AnticorRifling
05-17-2005, 10:46 AM
At 24 ranks of Air lore WITH 27 MjE ranks. That "with" has bit many young wizards in the ass when they thought all they needed was the air lore.

Carl Spackler
05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
True.

Xcalibur
05-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
At 24 ranks of Air lore WITH 27 MjE ranks. That "with" has bit many young wizards in the ass when they thought all they needed was the air lore.

Eh? Why the MjE?

Carl Spackler
05-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Because haste is a MjE spell

Xcalibur
05-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Yeah, but no where it was written that...

Ahh never mind:down:

AnticorRifling
05-17-2005, 08:58 PM
It's bowling X, not Nam. There are rules.

AnticorRifling
06-02-2005, 09:00 PM
[Roll result: 178 (open d100: 60) Penalties: 12]
You swing your black ora pike at Suavementasious's blue shaalk claidhmore and connect!
Suavementasious's blue shaalk claidhmore is knocked to the ground!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.
>get claid
>
You pick up a ruby-hilted blue shaalk claidhmore.

----------------------

It just needed posted :cool:

I did return it after I told him never to wave it my direction again if he liked owning such a nice weapon.