PDA

View Full Version : Role vs. Personality

05-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Okay, silly little thing on percpective...

Take a poster from these message boards that you like or do not like and tell how you think they are in real life. Can be positive or negative, but let's try and keep it realistic. READY STEADY GO!

- Arkans

Doyle Hargraves
05-11-2005, 10:25 PM
I think Warclaidhm is dumb in RL.

Brattt8525
05-11-2005, 10:30 PM
I think those who are level headed and in general fun type posters are just that off the boards. The ones who bark alot and growl are most likely the complete opposite in person.

The ability of the internet such as this forum or any other where you can post like some smart ass free from the fear of being smacked upside the head brings out the worst in some people.

I can look past just about anything and appreciate even the meanest poster for the good qualities they do let show once in a while.

Apotheosis
05-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Hmm, I think people are on the boards how they are in IRL.
when I think about the characters they play in gemstone, I tend to think the same, or that they do the opposite because they are acting out a fantasy about themselves.

Latrinsorm
05-11-2005, 11:36 PM
I think Arkans wouldn't make good on any of his sexual propositions IRL. :(

4a6c1
05-11-2005, 11:46 PM
You can never tell how someone is by knowing them online or whatever.

I think theres a few people here who would be a riot to take out and get crazy with. On the otherhand I'd probably just want to prod the brain of a few others. I'm never sure whos who though.

HarmNone
05-12-2005, 12:53 AM
I think there are two distinct types of people here (and on most boards). There are those who post, pretty much, as themselves. For these people there is little, if any, artifice. There are also those who appear to post as something they'd like to be. Perhaps, they'd like to be more outspoken or assertive in real life, so they try it out here.

I don't count those posters who are obvious griefers. Their purpose is to make others as miserable as they are. To me, they just don't count. ;)

05-12-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm much, much more ebonic IRL.

Hulkein
05-12-2005, 01:09 AM
true dat me too

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRSrollers/randumb/negroapproved.jpg

[Edited on 5-12-2005 by Hulkein]

05-12-2005, 01:14 AM
AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Apotheosis
05-12-2005, 01:31 AM
:banghead:

Shari
05-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Hmmm....

Hehe, I'm going to take Arkans, for example. I'll be nice, I promise! I view him as being rather grown-up sophisticated demeanor about him, but when no one is looking he can tend to be a bit of a hell-raiser. No offense, Arkans, but I just don't see you being as outspoken in real life as you tend to be on these boards. I think he and I could have a very interesting debate on issues, but certainly not someone I could party with, but I think he'd think I was vulgar and out of control, and I belch too much when I'm drunk. :D

Itachi
05-12-2005, 02:34 AM
I agree with Harm on this one. It seems sad to me that people wouldnt just act like themselves though, its so much easier that way then to have to put everything through a "Well what would what i like to be do in this situation" filter.

Back
05-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Ok, how about PB. Wouldn’t it be funny if he was a quiet little guy, subserviant to his wife, slouched and quiet, who shuffled out of the way of everyone in his personal life?

I seriously doubt that, however. More than likely, he is exactly how he is here. Maybe amplified a little here, or with close friends.

Kuyuk
05-12-2005, 08:23 AM
OK, I think bob is a nancy in RL. But he'd probably be comical to be around because he is one.

I think tayre is more straight in RL. And he probably has a lisp. A mexican lisp.

K.

edited to add; Bob has a girly voice IRL too.

[Edited on 5-12-2005 by Kuyuk]

Kuyuk
05-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Oh, and HN is probably super sweet and I'd fall for her. And she'd fall for me because I'd bake her a cake with that date-rape drug in it, uhhuh.

K.

Itachi
05-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Hurray for Roofinex!

05-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Interesting observation Jesae. Whether you're right or wrong, well, guess we'll never know now :P

Anyway, the person I'll take is hrmm..Souplieced. You know that athlete in school that everyone knew? Yeah, I can see him being that, except with a dark hidden secret. Instead of slapping men's asses a little bit too much in the locker room, he has a hidden and dark obession for online text roleplaying games.

- Arkans

Warriorbird
05-12-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm happier and kinder in real life.

Parkbandit
05-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Backlash
Ok, how about PB. Wouldn’t it be funny if he was a quiet little guy, subserviant to his wife, slouched and quiet, who shuffled out of the way of everyone in his personal life?

I seriously doubt that, however. More than likely, he is exactly how he is here. Maybe amplified a little here, or with close friends.

Let me put your mind at ease:

1) Quiet - Do you REALLY think I could be this fucking arrogant on a message board and be quiet in real life? I am probably not as much of an an ass/rude bastard in real life though.

2) Little guy - 5'11" 195 lbs. I wouldn't consider that little.. but hey, some would.

3) Subserviant to his wife - Only when she is wearing the thigh high stilletos and carrying a whip. My safe word is "BACKLASH!"

4) Slouched - I have pretty good posture.

5) Quiet - You are really hung up on that one.. see #1.

6) Shuffled out of the way - You don't become a General Manager by doing that.

theotherjohn
05-12-2005, 09:26 AM
I am a really happy, nice, sweet, caring person in real life just like I appear here

CrystalTears
05-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
3) Subserviant to his wife - Only when she is wearing the thigh high stilletos and carrying a whip. My safe word is "BACKLASH!"

OMG! :lol2:

I laughed so hard at that I nearly peed myself. Thanks for the morning laugh! :D

HarmNone
05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Kuyuk
Oh, and HN is probably super sweet and I'd fall for her. And she'd fall for me because I'd bake her a cake with that date-rape drug in it, uhhuh.

K.

Ummm, yeah. Sweet. That's it. Yup.

As for the date-rape drug, you'd best be very, very careful. Medications have unexpected effects on some people. I'm one of those. Benadryl relaxes most people, and helps them sleep. I take it and I get mean. Real mean. Give me a date-rape drug and I'll probably turn into history's first serial killer of Kuyuks carrying cake. :D

GSLeloo
05-12-2005, 01:09 PM
I think people, mostly, act like themselves but a truer version of themselves. Often iRL you are held back by certain things.. physical or whatnot. So perhaps here people feel more free to be who they actually are because they don't have to deal with those certain items.

Edaarin
05-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I think RangerD1 is in reality a skinny white Counterstrike addict.

Czeska
05-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone killer of Kuyuks carrying cake. :D

It's like.. if Stanley Kubrik did a Dr. Seuss movie.

HarmNone
05-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Czeska

Originally posted by HarmNone killer of Kuyuks carrying cake. :D

It's like.. if Stanley Kubrik did a Dr. Seuss movie.

:rofl: That's pretty much the same image I had in my head when I wrote that!

Warriorbird
05-12-2005, 01:53 PM
RangerD1 = Bobmuhthol IRL.

Bobmuhthol = RangerD1 IRL.

The world may never be the same.

Kuyuk
05-12-2005, 05:10 PM
<HN's post>

You just say that to try and dissuade me. I dont believe it for a minute.

I already have the drugs on order.

K.

ElanthianSiren
05-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I think when you can see a person get passionate about something, it says a lot about how they are in reality. Again, what's the issue and what's the context? If someone gets crazy and starts slinging insults because you murdered their GS character and starts stalking you on the boards/making flame threads etc, that says a lot about them psychologically to me. When the last resort of a debate is insults (you're dumb) etc -- that also says a lot to me about a person. When people can reach out beyond their differences, as most posters here can, that says to me that the individuals are open-minded and passionate about their beliefs, and I am happy to be around them.

I may be going beyond the scope of this thread here also, but I actually had a huge debate about this with a friend of mine. This person thinks physicality is the only way to be *sure* of anything -- looking into someone's eyes to know if they're telling the truth etc etc etc. Having been lied to straight-faced about another person's activity in the murder of a mutual "friend", (he stabbed her to death because she wouldn't date him), I tend to believe that liars come in all facets of life (so do truth-tellers). I tend to think you have to disregard undesirable individuals quickly and move on. Life's too short.

-Melissa

Fallen
05-12-2005, 06:59 PM
People dislike me at work. I make too many disparaging comments.

I am thinking that fits.

Vixen
05-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Heh, I know for a fact that Tayre doesn't have a lisp.. Mexican or otherwise...

I also know for a fact that the rare occasions that I do post an opinion are really because I can sit here behind my monitor. Not that I am afraid to share them. I am just insanely shy in person, except with very very close friends. So here I can be a little less shy.

Artha
05-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Heh, I know for a fact that Tayre doesn't have a lisp.. Mexican or otherwise...
I know this intellectually. In my heart, however...

http://forum.gsplayers.com/images/upload/PEAM'S%20PRETTY%20PICTURES!!!/571.jpg

4a6c1
05-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
RangerD1 = Bobmuhthol IRL.

Bobmuhthol = RangerD1 IRL.

The world may never be the same.

DAMN U WARRIORBIRD.

I will probably never be able to look at those amazing abs again without seeing Mountain Dew and bowling trophies.

:sniffle:

Back
05-14-2005, 12:39 AM
What if everyone was opposite of how they were here.

Jihnas would be dumb and boring.
Bob would be old.
PB would be a kid.
I would be conservative?
Harmnone might be the Bitch of all Bitches.
Hulk would have voted for Kerry.
Leloo might have something.
Longshot might actually be a nice guy.

HarmNone
05-14-2005, 12:44 AM
>Harmnone might be the Bitch of all Bitches.<

Waddaya mean, MIGHT be?:rant:

Back
05-14-2005, 12:47 AM
ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hulkein
05-14-2005, 01:01 AM
Backlash, your opposite would be a conservative hardline priest.

I don't know if my complete opposite would be a Kerry vote... Probably more of a non-voting conspiracy theorist.

05-14-2005, 01:09 AM
If I ever saw myself, in real life, I'd totally kick my ass.

There'd be all sorts of swordfighting and decapitation and more swordfighting and lightning and shit.

In the end, there can be only one.

Brattt8525
05-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell
If I ever saw myself, in real life, I'd totally kick my ass.

There'd be all sorts of swordfighting and decapitation and more swordfighting and lightning and shit.

In the end, there can be only one.

Stanley the Highlander!