PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent.

Betheny
09-22-2003, 08:44 AM
I applied for a job with the Transportation Security Administration in December of 2002. February of 2003, they called me and asked me to go to this assesment thingy, which I passed.

Since February of 2003, I have gone through eight (Count them -- EIGHT different versions of the security background paperwork) and so many long distance phone calls it'd make you sick.

So about a month ago they send me my paperwork back. They say, you have to fill it out for the last 10 years not 7 years.

Guess what, 10 years ago I WAS TWELVE YEARS OLD!!!!!!! So I call and tell them this. But apparently they're so busy they lose track of me. So today I call, after so much frustration it would probably kill a horse, and I talk to them. I was supposed to have the paperwork in two weeks ago. This is some kind of a special project. I ask them why I have to fill it out for 10 years, when 10 years ago I was in JUNIOR HIGH...

...Someone from Washington will be calling me back within two days.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

All I want is a job I'm good at, a job I feel is meaningful, and a job I feel could very well be a career. Why does it have to be so difficult?!

I've got the experience, training, and clean background history they require. Why must I be nitpicked to death, if they don't want to hire me shouldn't they just say?

End rant. I'm still angsty and pissed though. Seven month application process? Actually longer than that since I went and took the test in January. :flamed::flamed::flamed::flamed::flamed:

peam
09-22-2003, 09:00 AM
/hug

Betheny
09-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Awww, a little Peam in my life fixes everything.

Including breakfast.

Right? :D

Warriorbird
09-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Damn. I'm glad I didn't apply for TSA.

Betheny
09-22-2003, 09:35 AM
If I get the job, I'm glad I did. If I didn't, then I'm a fool.

Meos
09-22-2003, 10:05 AM
sorry for the cheap proverb, but anything worth having is worth fighting for, besides what'd you expect from dealing with the government. Just go with it, don't stress, it never helps.

Adhara
09-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Keep harassing them. It's a big paperwork machine. Big paperwork machines are slow and tedious. Worse, there's never anyone responsible for anything in there. If you have a problem, you get referred from one department to the next ad vitam aeternam. It is extremely frustrating but if you don't call them all the time, your little stack of papers will be piled with the hundreds of little stacks of papers of people like you waiting for an answer. When you call, your little stack is brought back to the top.

Call them so often that they decide to give you a job just to shut you up. :)

Scott
09-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Keep calling them back. I've found most people hire you if you make it crystal clear to them that you want the job bad. The pushy one always gets the job.

peam
09-22-2003, 12:16 PM
I make awesome french toast. Hot.

Faellyn
09-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Yeah, when I was a manager and I had to hire people I would make all of them come in for an interview, and then make everyone call me back, if they did, then I looked at their application again and decided whether or not to hire them then. Keep going after it, the red tape is a little bit thick, but eventually you'll get through it. Fill out the !@#$% paperwork for Jr High and HS too, it's easier than trying to get a one of those government types to think for themselves.

i remember halloween
09-22-2003, 06:49 PM
security clearances take a long time. if you ever have to get a top secret one, except it to take 6 months to 2 years.

Betheny
09-22-2003, 07:00 PM
It has more to do with them changing the paperwork on me, changing how they want it done, changing what information they want, and nitpicking me to death (LITERALLY, crossing T's and dotting I's) than anything else. Luckily... this morning I found other employment, so they can continue to take their sweet damn time.

i remember halloween
09-22-2003, 07:02 PM
welcome to the government

Jack
09-22-2003, 07:26 PM
It took me two and a half years to get my final clearence. Granted, that's a higher level clearence than you'll need at the TSA. A lot of the reason for the nitpicking, and paperwork changes is the way they do the background investigations now. They contracted out most of it to a company called Management Technologies. Allowing civilian contractors to do background investigations has caused things to be mired in paperwork. Just keep going with it, eventually they'll get their act together.

-Jack

Weedmage Princess
09-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Maimara...hopefully everything gets sorted quickly from here on in, and you get the job. Keep us posted :)

Betheny
09-22-2003, 10:17 PM
If/when I finally get hired by the TSA, everyone and their mom is goign to know. I'll take out billboards in every major city in the United States (and territorries.)

Rorac
09-22-2003, 10:21 PM
I wish I had a violin right now. /;