PDA

View Full Version : Age, Race, that sorta thing

Janarth
04-26-2005, 02:44 PM
I chose my char's age as 35 years for a dark elf, I realize thats young for an elf, but I thought even at that age, the char'd be considered capable and independant and what not. Just because others of his race think my char young in comparison, does that mean he really is a child? I mean, is a 42 train 35 year old dark elf just silly? 35 years, woulda thought he'd learned a fair bit by then, my char has been virtually everywhere in elanthia save pinefar and Teras. I rp him as young, and a little jumpy/unwise compared to the stereotypical elves (that old guy elf in LOTR), but I would think he'd get respect from other races, am I wrong? Thoughts?

Wezas
04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
A dirt elf is a dirt elf is a dirt elf.

Age makes no difference.

:saint:

4a6c1
04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Maybe hes just exceptionally intelligent or something? Idunno.

04-26-2005, 02:51 PM
I never bought kids swinging around huge swords. Those things get heavy and how do you expect a kid to slice through a Giantman's leg what is amored with full plate?

- Arkans

The Korean
04-26-2005, 02:53 PM
steroids?

Janarth
04-26-2005, 02:54 PM
If real people started living to 200 due to advances in medical science, would we consider people 35/40 coming of age, instead of 16/20? I don't think so. I don't understand why a 35 year old dark elf and a 35 year old human shouldn't act about the same...be about as capable. Maybe the elf has a longer look on mortality, thats about it, right?

04-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Because Dark Elves are not Human and should not be expected to act/live/mature/mentally develope at the same level?

- Arkans

Janarth
04-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Arkans, maybe this is my flaw. Is a 35 year old dark elf still that under developed? I thought he'd be as developed as a human 35 year old, you know, six feet or so, lithe, capable? Just a little...wierder, cause he knows he's gonna live another ten centuries :p

Syberus
04-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Yea but with all the races being intermingled the way they are now it seems like culturally they'd all "grow up" around the same age. I dunno I guess it would depend on your character's RP background and whatnot.

04-26-2005, 02:58 PM
It could be possible, don't get me wrong, but assuming it is that way just because Humans are that way just doesn't jive with me. Humans arn't Dark Elves and it would seem perfectly reasonable to me that they would grow and develope in different ways. Think brain developement.

- Arkans

Syberus
04-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Oh I'm sure that in their own community they would grow and mature differently. I was just theorizing that if you take into accounting that all these races are being thrown together in these various towns throughout the "world" that culturally, social norms would begin to arise, resulting in everyone, regardless of race, beging to mature and grow up around the same time. It's seen within even our world, where I'm sure there's 10 year olds in third world countries that are more "mature" than I am even now at 20 because of the lifestyle they've had to grow up enduring. As it pertains to this dicussion with your dark elf being 35... no one really knows the actual number unless you tell them anyway, so they'll just see 'really young" or some shit anyway.

4a6c1
04-26-2005, 03:03 PM
ARKANS R DARKELF HE KNOWS DESE THINGS

Kitsun
04-26-2005, 03:03 PM
For a race that can live as long as 1500 years, a 32 year old is a welp.

Your elf probably wasn't trained like a human whose years measures in mere decades. Why should he be? He's got centuries more to go.

4a6c1
04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
I thought it said stuff like this in the docs somewheres...Imagolook

Wezas
Thread here (http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=4624)

And here (http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=4057)

<just helping>

So, you're telling me, if I was born in America in a nice clean hospital that I'd physically develope slower than if I would be born in the Jungle of the Congo or if I was born in the cities of India my brain would develope at an accelerated rate?

Truly, with the way the human body developes, I don't think there are 10 year olds that are more mature at all. Maybe of being able to throw a spear at an alligator better than you, but mature? Doubt it.

- Arkans

Syberus
04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I was speaking purely of mental development not physical, sorry.

04-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Mental is directly related to physical as your brain needs to develope physically for you to be capable of more advanced thought.

- Arkans

Syberus
04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Arkans and I both realized how incredibly lame it made us debating the development of a dark elf's brain in IM's, so uhm.. we're done I think.

[Edited on 4-26-2005 by HarmNone]

4a6c1
04-26-2005, 03:12 PM
I know I read it somewhere. I guess it wasnt the officials. Starsnuffers old site maybe. It said something that likened the physical growth of dark elves to that of humans. So when I read that i was reminded of the nature/nurture argument. If the mind isnt taught and refined it wont progress or grow.

Wow. Im totally an expert of Dark Elf physiology now. Yay me.

Originally posted by Syberus
Arkans and I both realized how incredibly lame it made us debating the development of a dark elf's brain in IM's, so uhm.. we're done I think.

hahaha. so sig worthy.

[Edited on 4-26-2005 by JihnasSpirit]

[Edited on 4-26-2005 by HarmNone]

AnticorRifling
04-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Read Ender's Shadow. The end, wait what are we talking about?

SayGoodbye
04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
My Sylvan character is really young agewise, but I don't consider myself to be a child. I just figure I'm really carefree, undisciplined and inexperienced in ways of the world, leaving my character to act silly and lighthearted. I'll switch over to bitter and cynical as my character gets old and watches friends wither and die. ;)

Janarth
04-26-2005, 04:31 PM
I've read the Ender books...he was like ten, but he understood sacrifice, making war, raw sociology (beating them just breeds contempt, hence he kills one kid) etc. I don't know whats right, I just hope I didn't make a rp faux pa by making my char's age 35 but rping him as a capable, if not somewhat unwise, sorcerer.

04-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Doesn't it say under stats on the gemstone.net webpage that elves actually have less discipline due to the fact that they don't really conceptually understand the concept of age... or something?